Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Does it really smell like charcoal? I find so much of the Tom Ford stuff very linear. What would you say is the dominant smell you get from this?

Banned

great scent!

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blxii View Post
    Does it really smell like charcoal? I find so much of the Tom Ford stuff very linear. What would you say is the dominant smell you get from this?
    Not exactly like charcoal, but has a smoky, somewhat bitter, ashy character to it. Some similarities in scent profile (I mean how it smells, not style, genre or structure) with Memoir Man and maybe Black Tourmaline. You're right, most stuff from Tom Ford is linear, and this one is no exception either.

in civet est veritas

I admit I like this one, too. I tend to be a fan of dry, steely or stony scents, and Noir Anthracite falls in that camp.

It's kind of pricey for a regular line TF juice, and as a new release I don't see it at any discounters yet, so while it may be FBW, I'll be putting it off until I can save some money on the acquisition.

Tried this in Friday. It's got a vintage yet modern vibe about it. Opens with spicy pepper and vegetal undertones. Basenotes are rich wood and a sort of wet granite and leather feel to it. Interesting fragrance, out of the box for Tom Ford. Wonderful fragrance but not sure if it's for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    I like your taste....AND your screen name.
    Thanks Ivory88! I see what you did there as well.

I smelled Noir Anthracite yesterday for the first time. I gave myself a few good shots at Sephora.

Between Anthracite, Oud Wood Intense, and Gucci Guilty Absolute, I'm wondering if this whole ultra-dry, bitter masculine is going to become a trend. The notes used are different, but these three have similar personalities to me, with Anthracite taking the bitter, vaguely poisonous effect the furthest (too far), and executing the effect with the least grace of the group.

Yes, charcoal is a good analogue for the smell of it (the instant-light kind with the lighter fluid already in it, specifically). The aggressively bitter, acrid, smoky, chemical note persists for a shocking amount of time, and for me, isn't pleasant at all. I struggled to focus on the surrounding notes. Is that extreme bitterness the macassar/ebony wood note? This was my first experience with the note, that I'm aware of. Does Anthracite present it accurately, for those who are familiar?

The accord starts to smooth out maybe 2-3 hours in - but smells downright deadly up that point. The kind of thing to wear if you actively want to drive people away.

I think this new mini-trend in men's fragrance is a good thing. Oud Wood Intense is the contender to beat at this point (I like it a lot, and it also shares that bitter/woody/smoky vibe - much smoothed out), with Guilty Absolute trailing a little ways, but I think we're still waiting for the scent that will be consider the fully realized, fleshed out execution of this vision.

I asked my wife to smell it with no context whatsoever, about an hour in. She said - and this is a direct quote - "What in the hell is that? Please wash your wrist as soon as possible and don't wear that stuff near me." I was leaning in a negative direction - but sometimes it's nice to have a spousal reality check. She's way open-minded about scents, and has a great nose.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 22nd January 2018 at 08:39 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I don't think I've experienced such a 'dry' fragrance like this.
    It has such a slate/coal dustiness at times - you know, like if wind kicks up dust and it fills your nose.
    I'm only familiar with the smell of bituminous coal (all around my region) but guess they aren't that far off from one another (anthracite).
    A very realistic representation of coal.

Basenotes Junkie

Tried this yesterday. Was really impressed.

Gutted - smelt like a top draw frag from the bottle.
    On spray - I got massive pepper that obliterated anything else. Maybe just me but it was the sour sweaty pepper that also got me to give up on Wonderwood.
    Ya win some, ya lose some - shrug emoticon
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

It's the Sichuan pepper overdose that I love most about this fragrance!

Someone on here compared Noir Anthracite to Asian cuisine cooking on hot coals. That sounds about right to me.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    It's the Sichuan pepper overdose that I love most about this fragrance!

Someone on here compared Noir Anthracite to Asian cuisine cooking on hot coals. That sounds about right to me.
    Haha I think that was me. I love Sichuan food and the pepper/ginger combo is amazing. I also like the dry down, which reminds me of an ocean boardwalk - pungent, kelp-y ocean with creosote-laden wooden piers.

Que scay-je?

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Gutted - smelt like a top draw frag from the bottle.
    On spray - I got massive pepper that obliterated anything else. Maybe just me but it was the sour sweaty pepper that also got me to give up on Wonderwood.
    Ya win some, ya lose some - shrug emoticon
    Argh! My bad it was Fougere D'Argent I actually tested 😂
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

My unpolished .02 cents:

It smells gross and good.
    At first it has the charm of smelling like some kind of obscure relic from the powerhouse era, and yet it gets to the point that I want to wash it off. Images of cigarette smoke, cigarette butts, concrete and dry wall. There's some spicy-ness in there that makes me sweat. Or maybe it smells sweaty.
    2-3 hours is a long wait for the good part of the dry down to come into play. I don't remember if I waited that long.

I gotta give Tom Ford credit for putting out something so daring. I wouldn't mind having it my collection and spraying it from time to time on a piece of paper. But wearing it...that's tough.

When makeup brand MAC released its Shadescents line in 2016, folks talked about how it seemed like Estee Lauder was drawing on Tom Ford scents. The line wasn't popular (too weird for mass-market tastes) and has recently been discontinued. I've only been checking out the line recently but have been really impressed with the two I've tried so far. I've tried the more masculine-leaning scents, Velvet Teddy (a superior remake of Tobacco Vanille) and My Heroine.

MAC My Heroine is so close to Noir Anthracite that it's astonishing. The startling resemblance makes me wonder about just how the scent development process at Estee Lauder works; this line was (unfairly) received as a set of Tom Ford dupes, but here's a case where Tom Ford actually lifted from MAC!

If you took Noir Anthracite, ditched the Sichuan pepper, and smoothed the composition out a bit with some slightly sweet leather, My Heroine is what you'd get. So I guess this is a kind of Noir Anthracite Pour Femme, except there's nothing stereotypically "Pour Femme" about it. It's intense and stanky and masculine.

The blend/ingredient quality, as with Velvet Teddy, is as good as anything in the Tom Ford Private Blend lineup, which gives you an idea of what the insane markup must be like on TF PB releases.

If you want a leather-driven riff on Noir Anthracite, grab a bottle. The low prices won't last forever.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

I tried Anthracite at Saks and loved the stuff. The sales rep said they don't sell it there anymore because it's been discontinued. He said the last couple of bottles were sold about four months ago or so. Their distributor came and took the sample sprayers but left one of them behind, which I tried.

I didn't realize Mac sold fragrance. I'll have to look them up.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

If you want a leather-driven riff on Noir Anthracite, grab a bottle. The low prices won't last forever.
    Good look, wasn't aware of this one.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I tried Anthracite at Saks and loved the stuff. The sales rep said they don't sell it there anymore because it's been discontinued. He said the last couple of bottles were sold about four months ago or so. Their distributor came and took the sample sprayers but left one of them behind, which I tried.
    Ah, so the inevitable has happened.

Plenty of bottles of Noir Anthracite are still available online, though.

I didn't realize Mac sold fragrance. I'll have to look them up.
    The MAC Shadescents line has been discontinued, so it seems like their forays into fragrance have been put on hold.

Velvet Teddy and My Heroine are really great, though. I'm surprised that MAC thought such masculine-leaning, kinda niche-y releases would work in the mass market. I never would've imagined that Noir Anthracite originated as a feminine release!

Ladies didn't get along well with My Heroine as the star rating on Fragrantica shows.

Autumn Favorites

Ah, so the inevitable has happened.

Plenty of bottles of Noir Anthracite are still available online, though.
    Yep. I asked the SA if he could part with the sample bottle but he was pretty adamant there was no way. I even asked if there was any way he could sample out a little bit of it and again, no way. lol
    But I understand. Don't want to get anybody in trouble.

Basenotes Plus

If you took Noir Anthracite, ditched the Sichuan pepper, and smoothed the composition out a bit with some slightly sweet leather, My Heroine is what you'd get. So I guess this is a kind of Noir Anthracite Pour Femme, except there's nothing stereotypically "Pour Femme" about it. It's intense and stanky and masculine.

The blend/ingredient quality, as with Velvet Teddy, is as good as anything in the Tom Ford Private Blend lineup, which gives you an idea of what the insane markup must be like on TF PB releases.

You make that sound too good to pass up.
    Currently wearing: Phileas by Nina Ricci

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    You make that sound too good to pass up.
    I'm being genuine. My Heroine is darn good.

If you like Noir Anthracite, it's a very safe bet that you'll like My Heroine, and at current prices... well, it's a no-brainer.

Autumn Favorites

Basenotes Plus

…at current prices... well, it's a no-brainer.
    Heh! Someone was selling it for $19 or b/o, so I offered $15—and they upped their price to $27. As you said: the low prices won't last forever.

Heh! Someone was selling it for $19 or b/o, so I offered $15—and they upped their price to $27. As you said: the low prices won't last forever.

Autumn Favorites

Wow, that was even quicker than I thought. Always thought it was a race to discontinuation between GG Absolute and Noir Anthracite. The stuff didn't entirely agree with me, but I respected it, and am sad it's gone. 2017 was a rather interesting year with these two. It's always good when a modern release has chutzpah.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

"You got greedy, Martin"
    I did, and I knew it. Should've just snapped it up at $19. I did buy it; but I was pissed at the seller for doing that, because he got greedy, too, so I bought it from someone else at the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Wow, that was even quicker than I thought. Always thought it was a race to discontinuation between GG Absolute and Noir Anthracite. The stuff didn't entirely agree with me, but I respected it, and am sad it's gone. 2017 was a rather interesting year with these two. It's always good when a modern release has chutzpah.
    It is possible, if sticking to retail, it will still be sold on the TF site directly, but the SA said it's being pulled from Saks and also being pulled from other stores as well.

I did, and I knew it. Should've just snapped it up at $19. I did buy it; but I was pissed at the seller for doing that, because he got greedy, too, so I bought it from someone else at the same price.
    I would've done the same.

Let us know how you like My Heroine when you get it!

Autumn Favorites

Can't believe this gets discontinued yet the original Noir, and to a lesser extent Noir Extreme, remain in production. Both are so incredibly feminine - change the branding/bottle and I have no doubt 'Tom Ford Noir' in its all black, angular bottle would be the poor seller, not Anthracite. It's not one I particularly warmed to, or ever felt like it suited me, but it's an interesting fragrance and I can see it having a small contingent of fans who really enjoy it, as is the case with Tom Ford Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Can't believe this gets discontinued yet the original Noir, and to a lesser extent Noir Extreme, remain in production.
    My understanding is that both sell pretty well, with Noir Extreme being the bestselling masculine release in the Signature line since its release.

I dunno if Ombré Leather 18 knocked it off of its pedestal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Both are so incredibly feminine - change the branding/bottle and I have no doubt 'Tom Ford Noir' in its all black, angular bottle would be the poor seller, not Anthracite. It's not one I particularly warmed to, or ever felt like it suited me, but it's an interesting fragrance and I can see it having a small contingent of fans who really enjoy it, as is the case with Tom Ford Extreme.
    Ah, but TF Extreme was a limited edition fragrance that has been discontinued for a while, too.

Autumn Favorites

Ah, but TF Extreme was a limited edition fragrance that has been discontinued for a while, too.
    I'm not sure it's actually discontinued. It was originally released as a limited, and many places still list it as such, but it's been consistently available at online retailers ever since its release, always at about the same $100 price level. Dillard's, of all places, appears to be the only mainstream store that carries it. Wondering what TF's thinking is, here.

Dillard's is the only place with Aramis JHL at retail, too, come to think of it. Respect for Dillard's!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast