Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: SOTD: Saturday, 13th January, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Oh, no! More flu! Poor Hazel I'm glad you're on the mend, though.

TDS, we'll be on the lookout for both of those wines. The list of grapes you ran through checked all of our favorites! Sorry about the hangover -- but I'm so glad you had a nice time!

The honeyed remains of Grand Soir are lingering on the back of my neck and on my hair, despite applying it once, more than 24 hours ago. Nuclear strength, that one. I'm going to be sampling some of the Sammarco fragrances this morning. We'll see if anything makes an impression.

David fell in love with his 2nd Serge last night -- Santal de Mysore, which we sniffed after reading Claire V's review of Under My Skin. Given that he loves Arabie, I'm not surprised he's drawn to SdM. It smelled better last night than what I had remembered, and the cumin seemed more human than foody, although that could have been due to suggestion from Under My Skin.

Fascinating conversations our fragrances often have.
    Heyo! You should be able to find Le Cigare Volant at some of the better retail outlets in your area--I know, for example, that Whole Foods is authorized to sell it, at least in my region (Nebraska could be different; WF is divided into semi-autonomous regions, but they all come under a bigger umbrella, especially some of the wine program, so I'm not 100%). *Anything* Bonny Doon puts out is worth checking into. And if all else fails, you can buy direct from them (if Nebraska allows it--not sure about y'all's wine laws). Their website is always worth a visit anyway, because Mr. Graham is always doing something interesting. Plus. next time you're in Cali, Santa Cruz is just a day trip away from the Bay Area. I can't oversell how lovely it is, and the winery tour is outstanding. If you're into Ralph Steadman's art at all, it's especially worth the time, because he did some of the iconic BD wine labels (and these puns--they're groaners, but that's all Randall). I know Steadman is a longtime oenophile; he used to (and still might) do a lot of graphic work for the British Oddbins chain.

BTW, I just looked on their site and he's selling library releases for around 50 bucks a bottle--including the 08 Cigare Volant that we didn't get to drink last night. Imma get some of that if it's still there next weekend.

The Jonata could be harder to find. Many people don't know this, but small-production wines are often designated by their producers to only be sold in restaurants--I don't know if this is an American thing, or if the phenomenon also holds elsewhere in the world--but it's one of the main reasons why it's so hard to track down something special that you may have had when you went out for dinner. Whatever else it is, it's pretty much about marketing and brand perception--and wineries' getting their wines to the 1% whenever they possibly can--and you, the customer, not knowing whether you're paying too much for your wine or not. I'm all for the restaurant markup in most cases, because restaurant overhead is not a joke, and good servers cost serious money--but you really shouldn't pay more than twice retail; after that, someone's just getting greedy. And if you ever find a good restaurant that marks up less than that, hug the sommelier and make friends.. I'm an inveterate checker of that kind of stuff, especially if someone's offering a relatively pedestrian list at extortionate prices. All of which is a complicated way of saying that the Jonata is gonna be tougher to find; it looks like they have a wine club, and they sell by "allocation" only, and I don't see any back vintages--and these wines are gonna need some time before they're drinking right because they're more in that plush, high-alcohol style that California is (in)famous for. Your best bet, as always these days, is to check online: K & L Wine and Spirits is one of the best online retailers in the world, and if you didn't visit their Redwood City store on your last wine country trip, don't miss it on the next one, because you're in for a treat.

And I could blab for the next 5 hours and for pages and pages about wine wine wine wine, but I'm gonna stop there. For now.
    '
    This afternoon, I had to take a nod in VIntagePoison'sdirection and wear some vintage Poison--just a couple of swipes of the Esprit de Parfum. Now that it's COLD again (my fingers are freezing), I'm house twinning with ExtremeK and wearing MFK Ciel de GUM; I figure that it's inspired by the Russian department store, and thus it should wear well in the cold. And indeed it does. Am I crazy, or does this stuff smell (among other things) very much like a pipe shop? When you read the reviews, it seems to be a bit of a Rorshach blot--but I get pipe shop.

Time for a pre-dinner hot bath. Y'all stay warm!

Last edited by thediamondsea; 13th January 2018 at 11:54 PM. Reason: frickin typos
    The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
    --William Blake
    Currently wearing: Baghari by Robert Piguet

Basenotes Institution

It turned out to be a great day - I feel back to normal. Yay!

I'm wearing this, from my bottle, House Twins with shadesofbleu:

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens

"When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sending get well wishes to Hazel and Foxbins! Pity to hear the vaccine didn’t help you. :-(

SOTE: Issey Miyake Pour Homme
    Currently wearing: Incense Rosé by Tauer

Blog Entries

Always a great choice thediamondsea

Today I went to the mall and tried on Kiehl's Original Musk. This thing a beast of a musk. I enjoy the Body Shop White Musk and Narcisso Rodriguez Musc For Her, but I think my limit for musk is reached with Kiehl's Original Musk.