Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dependent

Default SOTD: Saturday, 13th January, 2018

Scent of the Day Thread for Saturday, 13th January, 2018

13th January is
    Orlando Bloom's birthday, the face of Boss Orange for Men.

Useful Links
    * SOTD for yesterday, Friday, 12th January, 2018 (FFD)
    * SOTD for yesterday, Friday, 12th January, 2018 (MFD)
    * SOTD Feature

Members celebrating a birthday on Saturday, 13th January, 2018
    Space_Elf, annattivnovay6302, bdizzycjunoray5109, bodo, Gloria Teresa, Elloquence, Fresh Potato, imp96, bluesoul, bjehnjnray5027, Mheusler, nakhalstory, roman_martin, WhatWomenWants, TJWhiteStar, Post GT, Nosenotes, Lukas56L97, whatthesb, Faceless void, Greencarrots, noggs,

Basenotes Robot's SOTD
    Today I'm wearing: Atlas by The Motley

Bloop bloop bleep

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: SOTD: Saturday, 13th January, 2018

Heritage by Fragrance Du Bois

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Virgin Island Water
    Currently wearing: Incense Rosé by Tauer

in a fragrant coma always

Bill Blass for Women.
    Currently wearing: Dark Woman by Police

hello all, enjoy your weekend,
    vtg.

Good morning all!

I am off soon to make a tile at the Jackfield
    Museum in Ironbridge and then on to have a
    birthday lunch for a friend's 60th.

I am wearing Ambre et Vanille again.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Morning all

Am ready to nap again So apres l“ondee will send me off for a hour slumber.

(((Teardrop))) you know how I feel about Sakis as well. And Eurovision front and centre here. As for Dima Bilan his being robbed by Lordi in Greece is almost a national shame. Not sure if you have seen him in concert , he performed at the opening of Eurovision in Moscow where Sakis sang ‘this is our night’. On the voice of Russia Dima is like an adorable puppy and he did win in Belgrade with his friend and the best ice skater in the world Evgeni Plushenko.

(((Foxbins))) so hope you are resting and feel better soon. I forgot there is the magnificent Aliki who went on Britain’s got talent and her career is soaring and on her album ‘reflections’ she does a duet with another Cypriot who like George Michael never got a note wrong in a live performance I ever saw him in.

His name is Michalis Hatzigiannis and this is their duet. His back catalogue of work for someone not 40 is simply incredible.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTE9ss6Ixsc

Have a lovely weekend everyone

sea roses
    'When asked what dowry the spartan girl was providing to the noble spartan warrior marrying her, the poor girl said: "my fathers common sense" '.

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Sea Roses, you're right, Dima was robbed, but l must admit, Lordi were great fun! l remember well Dima's appearance with Plushenko, & l was just so impressed with Dima's ability as a performer, although l haven't seen him live. And count me in as another fan of Michalis, l have a couple of his albums from a few years back, but haven't heard any of his recent stuff.

l'm only just up, so not scented yet, but we're thinking about going to see The Last Jedi later, so l'll try to keep it subtle today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Armani Code Summe 2010 by Giorgio Armani

in a fragrant coma always

Elle L' Aime by L. Lempicka
    Currently wearing: Dark Woman by Police

Blog Entries

Decided on Alien Liqueur de Parfum for today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Good morning everyone Sotd for a lateshift is Egoiste.

Hello all.

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Oud Palao by Diptyque

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Saturday, 13th January, 2018

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I smell something

Hello and best to everyone. Fracas for me today.

"I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

Good morning! Repeating No.5 parfum from yesterday; this time 70s vintage. Have been wearing No.5 parfums this week for both Chanuary and the Quest thread, which makes me feel especially productive. Yes, I've convinced myself that perfume wearing is "productive".

tds, yes! I have tried some Divine. I'll have to go back and see which ones. I know there were some that I thought were just incredible and all of them were exceptionally composed and made. And yet, I didn't find one that charmed my wallet open. I really don't know why. I need to try more of them; this much is certain.

I wish you all a lovely weekend!
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Good morning, everyone!

Hugs to our sickies! (I think I'm on the way to joining y'all; my throat is scratching and scraping and my voice is starting to sound like Deborah Winger/Kathleen Turner/Lauren Bacall). Everyone is under strict orders to drink fluids, take vitamins and rest. And take your medicine--hot toddies seem like they could be in order. I only have Jameson's around the house right now, but it's versatile enough to take some lemon and clove or two and a cinnamon stick.

Dinner last night was fabulous. However, the bottle of wine I scoped out on the list was unavailable, and there were almost tears. I REALLY wanted a bottle of 08 Le Cigare Volant: it's a domestic wine, but it's made like a Chateauneuf-du-Pape, using the same grapes albeit grown on American soil. It's an interesting idea that not everyone is capable of pulling off; however, Bonny Doon has been making this stuff for years, and it's worth seeking out if you can find it. It doesn't have quite the same earthy, gamey quality as a true old world wine would, but steakhouse fare is also more smoky and in-your-face than what one finds in France. So even though my palate faces firmly toward Europe, this seemed like the right balance. And BD is one of the few California wineries that gets my full respect; Randall Graham is a genius and a madman, and he's a personal hero of mine--and a lovely man as well. Plus 10 years on that bottle would have had it drinking really well. Alas, I had forgotten that this time of year is very slow in the wine industry, that everyone's stock is low, and that the likelihood of something this good being on hand would have been slight. I'm still feeling a little unfulfilled

We had to settle for this:

which was a winery that we briefly handled while I was in the wholesale business. This ^^^ is one of the proprietary red blends that can both make and break California wines for people who aren't familiar with the way things are done in the new world. It's syrah-based, so it drinks a little like the Cigare Volant would have, especially since it has a little viognier in it like the old-school Chateauneufs use--but then (this being California) it also contains some Bordeaux grapes--cabernet, cab franc (my favorite!), and merlot--and a *smidge* of Sangiovese (another favorite--it's such an expressive grape), for some reason. It could have been a Frankenstein monster, but it was actually enjoyable and, despite its youth, friendly and excellent company throughout the evening.

And my tolerance has gone south. I drank 1 flute of Champagne and 2 glasses of Todos, and I was toast when we got home, and I have a hangover lurking around the edges. I need to finish my oatmeal and go back to sleep for a while . . . .

I'm sure there is more to say but my brain is trying to shut down. So--perfume. It's still below freezing outside, so if this isn't a day for Ambra Nera, then I can't imagine what could be.
    The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
    --William Blake

Bois du Portugal

A*Men

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wore Byredo Seven Veils to bed last night and can still smell it this morning, so I’m wearing it again (a few more spritzes) as my SOTD.

Basenotes Institution

Green Velvet Attar by Rising Phoenix Perfumery

Headed to the gym - this scent should bloom beautifully on warm skin.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

31 Rue Cambon for me. I'm getting over the flu, and can't smell very well, but that doesn't mean I can't smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Good morning! Repeating No.5 parfum from yesterday; this time 70s vintage. Have been wearing No.5 parfums this week for both Chanuary and the Quest thread, which makes me feel especially productive. Yes, I've convinced myself that perfume wearing is "productive".
    Not only are you a dedicated Basenoter, you’re an efficient one at that. VERY productive!

I’m continuing on with Chanuary in Gabrielle, my first repeat. I’ve been looking forward to wearing it a second time. It’s lovely, and sometimes lovely is exactly what’s needed.

Have a good day.
    Chanuary CHANEL Month Lineup: 31 rue Cambon, Cristalle, Coco, Coromandel, Cuir de Russie, Gabrielle, Misia, No. 22, Sycomore
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Oh, no! More flu! Poor Hazel I'm glad you're on the mend, though.

TDS, we'll be on the lookout for both of those wines. The list of grapes you ran through checked all of our favorites! Sorry about the hangover -- but I'm so glad you had a nice time!

The honeyed remains of Grand Soir are lingering on the back of my neck and on my hair, despite applying it once, more than 24 hours ago. Nuclear strength, that one. I'm going to be sampling some of the Sammarco fragrances this morning. We'll see if anything makes an impression.

David fell in love with his 2nd Serge last night -- Santal de Mysore, which we sniffed after reading Claire V's review of Under My Skin. Given that he loves Arabie, I'm not surprised he's drawn to SdM. It smelled better last night than what I had remembered, and the cumin seemed more human than foody, although that could have been due to suggestion from Under My Skin.

Fascinating conversations our fragrances often have.

Thank you everyone for your get-well wishes. I had gotten the shingles vaccine when I turned 60 but my doctor said it is not 100% effective in preventing the disease. So I am taking an antiviral, some pain meds, and using cold compresses when I'm just sitting, plus some Vitamin C and zinc that Sea Roses recommended. Today's scent is Absolue pour le Soir, because I find it very comforting. I'm sure I'll be feeling better soon.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE: Bandit Light pour Homme by Robert Piguet

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The power of bleu

I’m wearing SL A la Nuit from my brand new bottle today. I’m so happy I can spritz as lavishly as I want, this is the way it was designed to be worn.

It’s a lazy day around the bleu homestead ... I’m watching basketball now and will watch football later and getting in lots of puppy snuggles. Life is good.

Foxbins, hope the medicine works quickly and you feel better soon! Sending get well wishes to everyone ... it’s been a rough cold and flu season so far.

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Saturday, 13th January, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Hello and best to everyone. Fracas for me today.

Great choice
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes