Code of Conduct

Default My Next Purchase and Yours

While I haven't smelled the new Viking and others, I was considering Bois D'Orage, Neroli Sauvage, Royal Mayfair, sometime Tom Ford, or idk. I've owned the Bois D'Orage but felt it was too much of a skin scent. Did I give it a fair shake? Neroli Sauvage I've always loved, but haven't replenished since I ran out in around 2009. I've never owned Royal Mayfair. Just looking for something great to add next.

What are your opinions on my choices or what would you recommend? I love anything green with woods and musk. What are your current wants and why? Thanks!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: My Next Purchase and Yours

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    What are your opinions on my choices or what would you recommend? What are your current wants and why? Thanks!
    I think your choices are good ones, especially Viking, Neroli Sauvage and Royal Mayfair, and although I personally love Bois D'Orage, my bet is that you did give it a fair shake. As for me, I'm on the lookout for a new house to add to my collection and the newest Malle - Music For A While.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Neroli Sauvage has the poorest longevity of almost any fragrance I've tried in the last 9 years--and I've tried it several times. I get about 10-15 minutes out of it. I just finished sampling through Amouage and bought Reflection Man which I had and sold several years ago and Journey Man. Down the road I might buy a bottle of Gold Man which I also previously owned. I liked Myths Man but need to sample again before I can determine if I want a bottle. I'm currently sampling through the Roja Dove Pour Homme range.
    Last edited by Jazznpool; 13th January 2018 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think your choices are good ones, especially Viking, Neroli Sauvage and Royal Mayfair, and although I personally love Bois D'Orage, my bet is that you did give it a fair shake. As for me, I'm on the lookout for a new house to add to my collection and the newest Malle - Music For A While.
    Thank you for solidifying my feelings about Bois D'Orage. I went through the same motions just last week with ADP Colonia Club. The notes sound fantastic and almost ordered it to give it another try, but luckily found my sample and realized the reason I got rid of it a year ago. My friend Hednic, your always on top of new releases and current trends. I truly appreciate you for keeping us informed. I wouldn't know half of whats out there if not for your threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    Neroli Sauvage has the poorest longevity of almost any fragrance I've tried in the last 9 years--and I've tried it several times. I get about 10-15 minutes out of it.
    Incredible. Perhaps its something to do with body chemistry or perhaps Creed has watered it down? My last bottle projected very well and lasted a good 12 hours on me.

While I haven't smelled the new Viking and others, I was considering Bois D'Orage, Neroli Sauvage, Royal Mayfair, sometime Tom Ford, or idk. I've owned the Bois D'Orage but felt it was too much of a skin scent. Did I give it a fair shake? Neroli Sauvage I've always loved, but haven't replenished since I ran out in around 2009. I've never owned Royal Mayfair. Just looking for something great to add next.

What are your opinions on my choices or what would you recommend? I love anything green with woods and musk. What are your current wants and why? Thanks!
    Bois D'Orage (French Lover) is excellent IMO. Very much enjoy it. A few extra sprays should give it a little projection, but it might mess your own personal experience if over-sprayed (and I wear fragrances for my own enjoyment more than for others).

When you mentioned Creed Viking, I thought at first you meant Bois de Cedrat, which is on my list for a sample-then-purchase. I have already smelled it at the Creed Boutique and enjoyed the scent, but I think I should give it a full wearing first before committing to putting it on my 'to buy list'. Silver Mountain Water I keep going back and forth on. Sometimes I think I want to buy it, but I have a hard time justifying the price because it's not quite good enough to justify the cost (even with lower cost deals).

I own Royal Mayfair. The rose is very convincing. Like putting my nose to the flower. The eucalyptus is where this scent gets its different opinions based on personal taste. I like the freshness and almost-breathing-in-cold-air effect of the fragrance. It's not for everyone and for me, it took several test wearings/smell testings before I figured out how much I enjoyed it. Being patient for the dry down is the key. Waiting as the eucalyptus retreats and the rose becomes the center of the scent. It's like waiting for an eclipse of the moon for that perfect moment during the development of the fragrance. When it arrives I can't stop smelling my arm. I love it. But it's not an 'instant gratification' type of scent. And it's not a scent you should try to parade around making other people smell by over-spraying. When I'm in the mood for rose, this one is a treat.

Unless some kind of amazing deal pops up for Xerxoff Nio, I am not currently set to buy anything for a while. I'm trying to focus on using the scents I own and enjoying them fully before adding more. I unexpectedly got a chance to buy a rare spray-version flacon of Spice & Wood for a fair price and I couldn't pass it up, so I broke my 'no-buy' promise and had to 'amend' my stance to buying only something if it's a deal I can't pass up.
    Last edited by tspencer; 13th January 2018 at 03:33 AM.

Green, woody, resinous.
    Byerley.

YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Cinquantaquattro / Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Colonia Fiorentina / Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Dolce Prospettiva
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

pdm herod
    Attached Images Attached Images

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dlee808 View Post
    pdm herod

Thanks for the recommendation MegaMav! I'll definitely consider that one as it seems nice. I'm also considering Sycomore and Loewe 7 Anomino. Sycomore has always been on my list.

Sycomore or Vetiver extraordinaire would be great vetivers, if that's the type of green you are looking for. Alternatively, you could go for a classic green with galbanum, like Bandit.

As for bois d'orage, I love the opening, but then there's something in the base that I do not like.

Would recommend going for Bois D'Orage, plus something like Grey Vetiver EDP, Guerlain Homme Eau Boisee, Neroli Portofino and/or Tom Ford for Men Extreme as secondary/alternative options

Mine is going to be VIKING, it was love at first sniff and does remind me of Royal Mayfair. It is also fresh, yet woody so its very versatile and has a bit of everything to keep the senses alive
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    Mine is going to be VIKING, it was love at first sniff and does remind me of Royal Mayfair. It is also fresh, yet woody so its very versatile and has a bit of everything to keep the senses alive
    Still have not sampled Viking and very much looking forward to it.

I am probably going to buy the fragrances in this order:

- Mancera Aoud Vanille
    - 1725 Histoires de Parfums
    - Acqua di Parma Fico di Amalfi
    - Parfums de Marly Herod

Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    Still have not sampled Viking and very much looking forward to it.
    Wow. I have to go against the grain here guys and say I don't think Viking reminds me of Royal Mayfair at all! Were all different but at least to me Royal Mayfair is all about rose, eucalyptus, gin notes and pine.. on the other hand I feel Viking couldn't be more different.. spicy, peppery, woodsy and sweet. I never was a fan of Royal Mayfair and it wasn't for want of trying, I've bought at least two bottles from memory.. but I could never warm to it and ended up giving them away. Viking on the other hand I'm very fond of. I ordered two bottles of it, a 50ml and an 100ml, soon as it was released without even smelling it. I really like it and wear it regularly. A worthy addition to the Creed lineup in my opinion.

As for what will I buy next.. good question! I'm mostly buying backup bottles or new releases these days. I've already obtained pretty much all the fragrances I want, so I rarely discover new classic releases that I don't already own these days. I'll probably order some of the new Tom Ford Private Blend releases which I haven't got yet and I'll get Sauvage EdP when it comes on the shelves too. Aside from that I can't really think of much else beside backups.

Going to explore some Mancera fragrances next.
    Last edited by speckmann0706; 17th January 2018 at 06:20 AM.
    Look Good, Smell Good ALWAYS.

I think I need to pull the trigger on a full bottle of Rose 31 sooner than than later. My decant is running low. Shame it's rather expensive and splits / decants are nowhere to be seen here in the UK.

Blog Entries

Neroli Sauvage has the poorest longevity of almost any fragrance I've tried in the last 9 years--and I've tried it several times. I get about 10-15 minutes out of it. I just finished sampling through Amouage and bought Reflection Man which I had and sold several years ago and Journey Man. Down the road I might buy a bottle of Gold Man which I also previously owned. I liked Myths Man but need to sample again before I can determine if I want a bottle. I'm currently sampling through the Roja Dove Pour Homme range.
    i think you are only paying attention to the citrus opening. The orange blossom and woody drydown persist for 3-4 hours. When you apply this one, don’t judge the volume by the opening, you need to spray enough of the base for it to be detected once the citrus disappears.

Blog Entries

i think you are only paying attention to the citrus opening. The orange blossom and woody drydown persist for 3-4 hours. When you apply this one, don’t judge the volume by the opening, you need to spray enough of the base for it to be detected once the citrus disappears.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I think I need to pull the trigger on a full bottle of Rose 31 sooner than than later. My decant is running low. Shame it's rather expensive and splits / decants are nowhere to be seen here in the UK.
    One of the new Penhaligon Portraits has copied the Rose 31 formula. You’ll be able to find this one on discount pretty soon.

Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed smelling Mercedes Benz Club Extreme the other day. That may be on my list.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Setting aside the £££ for ADP Colonia Quercia and Unum Lavs/CdG Avignon.

Decisions decisions.

Royal Mayfair is a good one.
    Currently wearing: Incense Rosé by Tauer

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    One of the new Penhaligon Portraits has copied the Rose 31 formula. You’ll be able to find this one on discount pretty soon.
    Do you remember which one it was? May check it out, but I don't think anything apart from the original will scratch this itch!