Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which niche fragrance house makes the highest quality and least synthetic smelling fragrances?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xerjoff

12 25.00%
  • House of Matriarch

3 6.25%
  • Fragrance Du Bois

1 2.08%
  • Areej le Dore

15 31.25%
  • Slumberhouse

3 6.25%
  • Jo Malone

2 4.17%
  • Acqua Di Parma

3 6.25%
  • Jo Loves

0 0%
  • Armani

1 2.08%
  • Santa Maria Novella

0 0%
  • Hiram Green

2 4.17%
  • Providence Perfume Co

1 2.08%
  • Miller Harris

1 2.08%
  • Henry Jacques

1 2.08%
  • Parle Moi de Parfum

0 0%
  • Abel Perfumes Amsterdam

0 0%
  • Comme des Garçons

2 4.17%
  • Arquiste

0 0%
  • Cire Trudon

0 0%
  • Le Galion

1 2.08%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which Niche Fragrance House Is The Highest Quality And The Least Synthetic #2

Thought I would make another poll with new suggestions. Trying to work out the best quality niche fragrance house
    Last edited by FragGuy; 13th January 2018 at 08:31 AM.
    Favourite fragrances:

The One EDP
    Pardon
    Guerlain L'Instant De Guerlain Eau Extreme
    Gentleman
    La Nuit De L'Homme
    Sauvage
    Bleu De Chanel
    Egoiste & Egoiste Concentree
    Pour Monsieur & Pour Monsieur Concentree
    Platinum Egoiste
    Antaeus
    Allure Homme Sport/Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
    Allure Homme
    Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Midnight in Paris
    Le Male
    Cool Water
    Club De Nuit Intense Man
    Aventus
    Virgin Island Water
    Grey Vetiver
    Versace Pour Homme
    Pure Malt/Havane

Default Re: Highest Quality Least Synthetic Niche Fragrance House #2

Should have added Parfums de Marly. Crap
    Favourite fragrances:

The One EDP
    Pardon
    Gentleman
    La Nuit De L'Homme
    Sauvage
    Bleu De Chanel
    Platinum Egoiste
    Antaeus
    Allure Homme
    Midnight in Paris
    Le Male
    Cool Water
    Club De Nuit Intense Man
    Aventus
    Virgin Island Water
    Grey Vetiver
    Versace Pour Homme
    Pure Malt/Havane

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Which Niche Fragrance House Is The Highest Quality And The Least Synthetic #2

Fragrance Du Bois
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Which Niche Fragrance House Is The Highest Quality And The Least Synthetic #2

Xerjoff

House of Matriarch is right there too.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

I still don't know.

Can you please define what you mean by "synthetic." It can have a number of meanings and connotations so just to make sure we're all on the same page here, what does "synthetic" mean to you?

Are you looking for a fragrance house that uses all-natural ingredients, as opposed to "aromachemicals"? Or the house that has the most natural-smelling fragrances?
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Areej le Dore, for sure. Adam sources and distills his own oud, sandalwood and other various materials. Macerates his own deer musk...I mean you just can't do that on a larger scale so it's hard to compare other houses to Areej based on quality. Slumberhouse is the closest in terms of quality, IMO.

Dependent

Xerjoff!

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    I'm on the interwebs. And you are too? What a coinkydink!
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Highest Quality Least Synthetic Niche Fragrance House #2

Quote Originally Posted by FragGuy View Post
    Should have added Parfums de Marly. Crap
    Nope.

Parfums De Marly is heavy handed with the chemicals, especially in their bases. Some of their scents smell blatantly chemical. Some of their scents do smell good, but in terms of quality, I'd put them LOW on the list, not high.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Petit Matin
    Royal Water
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Individuel
    Noir De Noir
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Royal Oud
    Prada L'Homme
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Blog Entries

Thought I would make another poll with new suggestions. Trying to work out the best quality niche fragrance house
    The problem with a term like "best" is that it's meaningless without descriptors. Even "Best Quality" can mean many things.

Best quality in terms of smell?
    Best quality in terms of performance?
    Best quality in terms of the ingredients used?
    Best quality in terms of what percent of the ingredients are natural?

If you're thinking "Yeah, all of that" well, that doesn't work. Go to the produce department in a grocery store and you can see that not all natural ingredients are the same quality. That's true of synthetics too. Some synthetics are high quality and others are crap. So, using synthetics doesn't mean low quality. Likewise, using more natural ingredients tends to mean poorer performance (sadly). This is especially true for citruses.

All fragrance houses use synthetics, but some perfumers do a better job of using them in ways that still smell natural. But even if a house creates scents that smell natural, it doesn't mean they'll be scents you'll want to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Can you please define what you mean by "synthetic." It can have a number of meanings and connotations so just to make sure we're all on the same page here, what does "synthetic" mean to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMan'sOldSpice View Post
    Are you looking for a fragrance house that uses all-natural ingredients, as opposed to "aromachemicals"? Or the house that has the most natural-smelling fragrances?
    I agree.

What do you actually want to know?
    Castile
    Petit Matin
    Royal Water
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Individuel
    Noir De Noir
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Royal Oud
    Prada L'Homme
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

This whole line of thinking is horribly misinformed.

Xerjoff probably.

Definitely CdG. They’re totally not known for making many of their scents smell synthetic on purpose and having a scent series named Synthetic
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Definitely CdG. They’re totally not known for making many of their scents smell synthetic on purpose and having a scent series named Synthetic
    Another vote for CdG

Basenotes Plus

I tried about 30% of what you have on your list.

Of those, on your list.

Hiram Green is superb in every scent they've produced. No noticeable Aroma Chemical.

Fragrance Du Bois I have found, with the limited amount of their selection I've tried also Superb. No noticeable.

Henry Jacques I have only sniffed on paper, however I noted, no apparent Aroma-Chemical.

Aftel, in my experience testing, is free from any alarming Aroma-Chemical.

All are High Quality scents.

Others are O'Driu, Fazzolari.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 14th January 2018 at 02:24 AM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Yes, what's the most expensive and best smelling oils out there? The least synthetic would have to be some type of water or oil made from 100% natural ingredients right? Nearly everything else has some synthetics, correct?

I'll vote Aromatic Infusions' rose water. Lovely stuff, and very refreshing as well. But it's not expensive, and my experience with these is overall very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    This whole line of thinking is horribly misinformed.
    It's "best quality by consensus, with no clear discussion of what is quality". What could possibly be misinformed about it? We'll count up the votes and that will be the answer!

Always be smelling

Roja
    Xerjoff
    Creed
    Escentric molecules
    Last edited by epapsiou; 14th January 2018 at 02:54 AM.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

If you want natural I recommend seeking out a brand that only uses naturally occurring materials.
    "Highest Quality" and Natural may not be synonymous.

Favourite fragrances:

The One EDP
    Pardon
    Gentleman
    La Nuit De L'Homme
    Sauvage
    Bleu De Chanel

Platinum Egoiste
    Antaeus
    Allure Homme
    Midnight in Paris
    Le Male
    Cool Water
    Club De Nuit Intense Man
    Aventus
    Virgin Island Water
    Grey Vetiver
    Versace Pour Homme
    Pure Malt/Havane
    With those selections, I'd think smelling "least synthetic" would be low on your list. Sorry.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Best quality in terms of which percentage of ingredients used are natural and not synthetic
    Favourite fragrances:

The One EDP
    Pardon
    Gentleman
    La Nuit De L'Homme
    Sauvage
    Bleu De Chanel
    Platinum Egoiste
    Antaeus
    Allure Homme
    Midnight in Paris
    Le Male
    Cool Water
    Club De Nuit Intense Man
    Aventus
    Virgin Island Water
    Grey Vetiver
    Versace Pour Homme
    Pure Malt/Havane

Basenotes Plus

Best quality in terms of which percentage of ingredients used are natural and not synthetic
    Even that's not so clear cut, as there are nature-identical synthetics, where the compounds are synthesized in a lab, but are identical to what is found in nature.

To at least partially answer your question, both House of Matriarch and Slumberhouse offer fragrances made from 100% naturally obtained ingredients.

Blog Entries

Here's an example of why that approach won't work.

Nio by Xerjoff is one of the most natural smelling citrus scents I've ever tried. But there's a huge difference between smelling natural and BEING natural. I promise you without a shadow of a doubt that Nio is loaded with synthetics. It is absolutely loaded with them.

...but I said it smells natural. So... what gives?

Nio is a big, beautiful, rich citrus scent with excellent longevity. In order to get that kind of longevity from citrus, Xerjoff has to be using synthetics because citrus notes do not last... but they sure do last in Nio. That's the genius in what Xerjoff has created.

In my opinion, you're better off worrying less about percentages and more about what smells good to you. Sample from different houses and figure out which house has a style that clicks with you.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    "Highest Quality" and Natural may not be synonymous.
    THIS.

Again, look no further than Nio for proof. Nio is very high quality, but it isn't the most natural fragrance (though it sure does smell natural). Another great example is the citrus/fruit note in Aventus. They list it as pineapple, but it's not, and that's A-OK because notes are just marketing. It's the smell that matters, and that note (which is mostly synthetic) smells fantastic. It's mostly synthetic but it doesn't smell synthetic, and it definitely doesn't smell chemical or harsh. That's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    CdOMG!

Castile
    Petit Matin
    Royal Water
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Individuel
    Noir De Noir
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Royal Oud
    Prada L'Homme
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Abel Perfumes Amsterdam ( https://www.abelodor.com )
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Here's an example of why that approach won't work.

Nio by Xerjoff is one of the most natural smelling citrus scents I've ever tried. But there's a huge difference between smelling natural and BEING natural. I promise you without a shadow of a doubt that Nio is loaded with synthetics. It is absolutely loaded with them.

...but I said it smells natural. So... what gives?

Nio is a big, beautiful, rich citrus scent with excellent longevity. In order to get that kind of longevity from citrus, Xerjoff has to be using synthetics because citrus notes do not last... but they sure do last in Nio. That's the genius in what Xerjoff has created.

In my opinion, you're better off worrying less about percentages and more about what smells good to you. Sample from different houses and figure out which house has a style that clicks with you.

THIS.

Again, look no further than Nio for proof. Nio is very high quality, but it isn't the most natural fragrance (though it sure does smell natural). Another great example is the citrus/fruit note in Aventus. They list it as pineapple, but it's not, and that's A-OK because notes are just marketing. It's the smell that matters, and that note (which is mostly synthetic) smells fantastic. It's mostly synthetic but it doesn't smell synthetic, and it definitely doesn't smell chemical or harsh. That's what matters.

CdOMG!

Nio is, IMO the most natural fragrance I've ever smelled and honestly, I don't know if it's using synthetics. My nose and brain sure are fooled if they are. And you make a good point that for citrus to last that long, something synthetic could be at play. Xerjoff in general has a fine reputation for smelling 'natural' on their fragrances overall, not just with Nio. What matters is what your nose tells you, not what the perfumer used. My nose says Xerjoff = 'natural'. My nose is very fallible. The whole point of fragrance-making is to recreate believable scents in a liquid spray essence. If your nose says it's natural (or whatever the perfumer intended) then they perfumer did their job. Nio, for me, was a mind-blowing fragrance. I didn't think any fragrance could smell so natural. The citrus smelled like I cut a bergamot lime open and smelled it. Even the acidity of the citrus in the scent was there. If you appreciate fragrances done right then Nio should be on your "to try" list. I bought a $25 5ml sample. I still have a few uses in the sample remaining. It still stands as the most natural smelling fragrance I have encountered yet.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Hiram Green is superb in every scent they've produced. No noticeable Aroma Chemical.
    Agreed. Gets my vote without hesitation
    Currently wearing: KL Homme by Lagerfeld

Basenotes Plus

It's tough to pin house vs house, but I chose and earlier recommended House of Matriarch because they have organic and natural ingredients

Ah! I think I can say with reasonable confidence that no one here really has any idea about the overall percentage of natural vs synthetic ingredients. Perfume companies don't publish their ingredients (although there are a few specialty companies that claim to be mostly natural), so we have no real objective way to know. It might be more interesting to ask "which house has perfumes that smell the most natural", since that's subjective, and many of us do have opinions on natural smelling. It's perfectly illustrated by the Xerjoff Nio conversation above, with which I agree ... definitely more natural-smelling, but none of us really know even a rough percentage of natural vs synthetic ingredients, only the chemists at Xerjoff know that

i still dont know as i havent tried enough fragrances from these houses

April Aromatics should get some attention for someone looking for something more natural.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne