Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Looking for a youger Creed Bois Du Portugal

Hi guys. I find this fragrance fantastic and super classy, expecialy the woodsy notes. But there' s an oldish note, that I really don' t like. Same thing in New York by Nicolai, great woodsy notes, and an oldish barbershop note. Could we find a younger Bois du Portugal, without that "old man" note ? Maybe is because of the lavander ?
    I got an oldish interference also in Armani ph, and Givechy Monsieur. Wonderful colognes, ruined by that oldish note...
    Bye !

Default Re: Looking for a youger Creed Bois Du Portugal

You could try Guerlain Heritage, but you may also find that to seem "old mannish".
    Only one way to find out.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I don't know personally of an alternative to suit your desire, but I recall reading somewhere that someone said that he found it very close to Chanel Pour Monsieur in the stronger concentration. Have you tried that?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Creed Royal Oud if you haven’t already, do yourself a favor and give this a few wearings. It has become my #1 in my collection and the closest thing to a signature fragrance for me. This is such a quality fragrance and I feel like I can conquer anything while wearing it. I read reviews where this was considered a more modern Bois Du Portugal, to me this is pure GOLD and will always be in my collection. After a few wearings I’m sure you will agree more modern and just as classy if not more and another amazing Creed.

Blog Entries

Gucci Envy would have been perfect if it were still made. Try Floris Santal, Guerlain Heritage EDT or Penhaligon’s Sartorial.

Barbershop often refers to coumarin, or some type of musk. Lavender smells fresh and aromatic (you should be able to smell lavender easily in some store), so that's unlikely the one. I agree with hednic that you can try Chanel pour monsieur edt. Nowhere near as woodsy, but good. Or for a bit more oomph, Etat libre d'orange Je suis un homme (niche but not too expensive).

cacio

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marco1 View Post
    Hi guys. I find this fragrance fantastic and super classy, expecialy the woodsy notes. But there' s an oldish note, that I really don' t like. Same thing in New York by Nicolai, great woodsy notes, and an oldish barbershop note. Could we find a younger Bois du Portugal, without that "old man" note ? Maybe is because of the lavander ?
    I got an oldish interference also in Armani ph, and Givechy Monsieur. Wonderful colognes, ruined by that oldish note...
    Bye !
    Try Carven Homme (1999).
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Gucci Envy would have been perfect if it were still made. Try Floris Santal, Guerlain Heritage EDT or Penhaligon’s Sartorial.
    I agree with the Gucci Envy for men recommendation if it were still available. When I wore BdP I would sometimes notice some familiarity with Envy. Its like BdP is a more mature Envy. But since it is no longer available for reasonable prices I will second the reco for Carven Homme.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Rogue Perfumery
    Blog Entries

Another +1 for Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Maybe even Aramis Devin

Maybe is because of the lavander ?
    It's likely to be either lavender or patchouli that you're not diggin'
    BDP contains about 10% lavender and just under 20% patchouli; those are the biggest impact elements of the fragrance. After that there's clove, cedar and neutral citrus notes.

You did mention "barbershop", perhaps the combo of clove and lavender is the culprit. BDP only contains less than 1% coumarin -likely resulting from the large lavender dose

If you want a 'younger' Bois du Portugal then try Chanel Pour Monsieur Eau De Parfum NOT the edt.

The EDT is dry and a little sharp and not sweet. The EDP on the other hand contains vanilla and nutmeg which give a more sweet spicy feel to the whole thing. Just try it and you'll see for yourself. The lavender in BDP and PM EDP are extremely different. I have all of the aforementioned and PM EDP is like a modernised BDP light.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Possibly (to a very limited extent and made even more difficult by restricted availability and an almost similarly high price category) also Guerlain Homme Intense Pininfarina Limited Edition- a slightly more youthful and more gourmand, yet never sickly sweet nor heavily "old mannish" take on a rich, powerhouse citrus opening, lavender, leathery, almost slightly piney and exotic woods chypre harmony
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Bye !
    I think there might be something into the 'lavender' bit here... have you tried Azzaro Pour Homme? If you don't like that, it could well be the lavender.

I would also suggest trying out Chanel Pour Monsieur - but in the EdT; not the parfum!
    There's also YSL Rive Gauche (if you can find the tin can version) and Ralph Lauren Safari.

The Royal Oud suggestion isn't half bad either; many seem to get along with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I think there might be something into the 'lavender' bit here... have you tried Azzaro Pour Homme? If you don't like that, it could well be the lavender.

I would also suggest trying out Chanel Pour Monsieur - but in the EdT; not the parfum!
    There's also YSL Rive Gauche (if you can find the tin can version) and Ralph Lauren Safari.

The Royal Oud suggestion isn't half bad either; many seem to get along with this one.
    Rum do you think that the EDP has an 'old man' note to it? I personally find the EDT has more of an older vibe and the EDP to be the younger of the two and while I find lavender to be an old man staple of those old school fougeres we all love it works in a youthful way in the EDP.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Maybe Viking?

Well.. kind of! It may not be overly similar but I feel it shares a certain spirit.. I could see it being a younger brother of BdP. Maybe it's just because they're both woody Creeds. But if someone liked BdP but thought it was a tad old fashioned.. I wouldn't be surprised if they enjoyed Viking.

Just an idea.

You might find Royal Water does the trick.

+1 Viking

Loewe 7 natural ?

Escencia -- Loewe

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Try Carven Homme (1999).
    This. Just got this one, definitely reminds me of BDP, albeit a bit sweeter.

I too, find BdP slightly old fashioned. As an alternative to the Chanel pour Monsieur suggestions you could try Mitsouko from Guerlain (my favourite version being the old EdC).

I like the Viking idea, and add Sandalo from Lorenzo Villoresi to the list of fragrances that to me have a similar feeling as BdP minus old fashioned.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond
    Try Carven Homme (1999).
    This. Just got this one, definitely reminds me of BDP, albeit a bit sweeter.
    Agreed, a much more affordable and enjoyable choice, IMHO.
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    If you want a 'younger' Bois du Portugal then try Chanel Pour Monsieur Eau De Parfum NOT the edt.
    This. The EDP is good and has a more mellow composition and somewhat comparable to Bois du Portugal. However, I wouldn't consider Pour Monsieur to have a "younger" appeal (at least not by much) as Pour Monsieur is still considered among the vintage classics.

One of the reasons Bois du Portugal stands as a powerful, incredible top-tier scent of elder'esque stature is because it is bold, yet smooth on the dry down. It screams 'class' and distinction. You cannot easily translate this to a younger feel because as human beings we all have stages in life that have their benefits and drawbacks. Age and being a gentleman bring that kind of charm and being young has its energy and exuberance.

The closest merging I can think of might be something like Dior Homme Intense or YSL La Nuit de L'Homme. A sweet, powdery, classy yet playful scent that comes off a bit younger than something like Bois du Portugal. That would be where I would steer your nose. I would also urge you not to completely discard the idea of wearing Bois du Portugal if you are of a mature and dignified mindset. A certain kind of young person with an old soul can pull this off.

*Edit - Creed Viking is a consideration since it seems to be a modernized take on classic scents. I think it's a good scent.
    Last edited by tspencer; 17th February 2018 at 01:14 AM.

I'm clearly behind the curve on this one:

What's the difference between Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree (which is what came to my mind first) and Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP?

I'm sure there's a long thread on this somewhere...

Edit: there is. Sounds like they're the same or very close to it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

+1 Guerlain Heritage EDT

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I'm clearly behind the curve on this one:

What's the difference between Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree (which is what came to my mind first) and Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP?

I'm sure there's a long thread on this somewhere...

Edit: there is. Sounds like they're the same or very close to it.
    I have smelled both. To my nose, they are the same thing just with a name change. If there is a difference it's beyond my olfactory capabilities to detect.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I have smelled both. To my nose, they are the same thing just with a name change. If there is a difference it's beyond my olfactory capabilities to detect.
    While I have the EdT and the EdP I don't actually own the Concentree, but I heard this was the case also. I researched it many places and came to the conclusion it was merely a re-labeling. So I never bothered tracking it down.

For something much more minimalistic and stripped down, try the CDG woods-based scents. Personally I don't find Heritage, Rive Gauche or Chanel PM EDP much more "modern" than BDP. I'd recommend sampling Wonderwood, Wonderoud, 2 Man and Hinoki. Also, I've not tried it, but Lalique Equus is mentioned as being similar on Fragrantica.

Hi all,

I agree with BigFish. Heritage (imho) is "cut out of the same cloth" as Bois Du Portugal. Not that BdP and Heritage smell similar, but both are fragrances for the more mature Gentleman. I must ad, I VERY much like Guerlain Heritage! I had gone through two bottles (back in the day) and I found myself reaching for Heritage often! I am hoping my recently/newly purchase bottle of Heritage will be as good a fragrance as it was some ten years ago.

SixCats!

Maybe Tumulte ?

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi all,

I agree with BigFish. Heritage (imho) is "cut out of the same cloth" as Bois Du Portugal. Not that BdP and Heritage smell similar, but both are fragrances for the more mature Gentleman. I must ad, I VERY much like Guerlain Heritage! I had gone through two bottles (back in the day) and I found myself reaching for Heritage often! I am hoping my recently/newly purchase bottle of Heritage will be as good a fragrance as it was some ten years ago.

SixCats!
    Totally agree.

Basenotes Plus

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lalique pour Homme.

It's quite similar, very safe and very traditional. It doesn't ever blast away for attention's sake, but has strong persistence. Might be considered boring by those who don't like traditional colognes.