Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: Sample pass-Fragonard (+rare bonus samples)-CONUS

Just a note to say that the Fragonard samples are out for delivery today. I plan to wear one each day and then write up my impressions as a group (in a single post) when I've finished. Looking forward to all of them!

That will be fun, Bonnette, a nice bunch of reviews to look forward to! Enjoy your sampling; we'll see you when you're ready!

Missing Oakmoss

Hello, everyone. Here are my reviews of these samples, all of which I enjoyed sniffing and some of which I'd like to own. Longevity for all of them was quite good.

Elvis is a delight and I can see why ZC bought a full bottle. I might have to do the same. It reminds me of Havana in its layered spiciness; it's rich, animalic, and (to my nose) rounder and softer than Havana. After the forward citrus opening simmered down, I was reminded of lifting the lid of a cedar chest and fluffing out folded perfumed shirts and shawls. It's a beautifully balanced blend of bergamot, potpourri and tobacco, and it dries down to a warm, powdery amber that is neither wan nor generic. When I held my wrist up to Mr. Bonnette, he said: "Elvis never smelled that good."

Eau Frivole - love this one! It's a complex and beautiful floral chypre, sharp and green in the opening, with a hint of the florals to come. I think I picked up star anise initially, similar to Mitsouko. And that lovely bite of oakmoss! I cannot pick out specific flowers, rather a general atmosphere of dark woods and gardens with herbaceous borders in the background. A snake slithering through crushed petals on the forest floor. Comparisons to fine Dior chypres are well deserved. It's curiously named, because there's nothing giddy, trifling or frivolous about it.

Siecle is pleasant, but not (to me) special. It's heavy on the vanilla, which is fine because I like the note, and I get some boozy tobacco and citrus, but nothing really shines in the blend and it's not something I'd buy. If someone were wearing it in the office or elevator, I'd think that he or she smelled very nice. And that's about it.

Harrods Knightsbridge Rose is a well done, direct fragrance that is almost a soliflore, but its moist rosiness has a doughy quality to it that reminds me of the first rush of air after walking into a doughnut shop - warm, sweet, redolent of icing and smarties. It does have a dark undercurrent which provides an interesting contrast, but as the day wore on I found the sweetness overpowering, and even annoying; too much of a good thing.

de Rothschild is sophisticated, classy, stately - it's mature, it knows what it wants to say and accomplish. Rothschild is tart, but not sour; elegant, but approachable. It even has a sly sense of humor and irony, evident in its discordant but oddly compatible notes. I don't know which perfume category is the best fit for it, perhaps a marriage of chypre and fougere. The drydown reminds me of the last stages of a joss stick, when the glow dims and smoke is still in the air. I could imagine Cary Grant wearing it to a board meeting, followed by dinner and drinks in Manhattan, and heaven only knows what else.

Swing is nice, but I'm not a fan of citrus and the first scent memory this brought up for me was Jean Naté's original lemon-heavy after bath splash. The intensity of that phase mellowed after several minutes, although it never disappeared, and then I began to pick up on herbs, spice, lavender, and oakmoss. Drydown was pleasant and powdery. I don't dislike Swing, it's just not in a scent category that appeals to me.

Rendez-Vous is a lovely Guerlainesque floral; in fact, to me it smells quite similar to Guerlain's Jardins de Bagatelle, which is one of my favorites. I pick up a good bit of rose here, mingled with a nice oakmoss bitterness and the softness of lilac. Rendez-Vous has an abstract structure that allows the imagination to take wing, and it is one of my favorites among the samples.

All of these fragrances were admirable, and I didn't actually dislike any of them - even the ones I wouldn't want to wear on a regular basis. Swing was my least favorite, followed by Siecle and Harrods Knightsbridge Rose; Elvis, Eau Frivole, Rendez-Vous and de Rothschild were equally beautiful to me, even though their scent categories are quite different.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 4th July 2018 at 05:55 PM.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Hello, everyone. Here are my reviews of these samples, all of which I enjoyed sniffing and some of which I'd like to own. Longevity for all of them was quite good.

Elvis is a delight and I can see why ZC bought a full bottle. I might have to do the same. It reminds me of Havana in its layered spiciness; it's rich, animalic, and (to my nose) rounder and softer than Havana. After the forward citrus opening simmered down, I was reminded of lifting the lid of a cedar chest and fluffing out folded perfumed shirts and shawls. It's a beautifully balanced blend of bergamot, potpourri and tobacco, and it dries down to a warm, powdery amber that is neither wan nor generic. When I held my wrist up to Mr. Bonnette, he said: "Elvis never smelled that good."

Eau Frivole - love this one! It's a complex and beautiful floral chypre, sharp and green in the opening, with a hint of the florals to come. I think I picked up star anise initially, similar to Mitsouko. And that lovely bite of oakmoss! I cannot pick out specific flowers, rather a general atmosphere of dark woods and gardens with herbaceous borders in the background. A snake slithering through crushed petals on the forest floor. Comparisons to fine Dior chypres are well deserved. It's curiously named, because there's nothing giddy, trifling or frivolous about it.

Siecle is pleasant, but not (to me) special. It's heavy on the vanilla, which is fine because I like the note, and I get some boozy tobacco and citrus, but nothing really shines in the blend and it's not something I'd buy. If someone were wearing it in the office or elevator, I'd think that he or she smelled very nice. And that's about it.

Harrods Knightsbridge Rose is a well done, direct fragrance that is almost a soliflore, but its moist rosiness has a doughy quality to it that reminds me of the first rush of air after walking into a doughnut shop - warm, sweet, redolent of icing and smarties. It does have a dark undercurrent which provides an interesting contrast, but as the day wore on I found the sweetness overpowering, and even annoying; too much of a good thing.

de Rothschild is sophisticated, classy, stately - it's mature, it knows what it wants to say and accomplish. Rothschild is tart, but not sour; elegant, but approachable. It even has a sly sense of humor and irony, evident in its discordant but oddly compatible notes. I don't know which perfume category is the best fit for it, perhaps a marriage of chypre and fougere. The drydown reminds me of the last stages of a joss stick, when the glow dims and smoke is still in the air. I could imagine Cary Grant wearing it to a board meeting, followed by dinner and drinks in Manhattan, and heaven only knows what else.

Swing is nice, but I'm not a fan of citrus and the first scent memory this brought up for me was Jean Naté's original lemon-heavy after bath splash. The intensity of that phase mellowed after several minutes, although it never disappeared, and then I began to pick up on herbs, spice, lavender, and oakmoss. Drydown was pleasant and powdery. I don't dislike Swing, it's just not in a scent category that appeals to me.

Rendez-Vous is a lovely Guerlainesque floral; in fact, to me it smells quite similar to Guerlain's Jardins de Bagatelle, which is one of my favorites. I pick up a good bit of rose here, mingled with a nice oakmoss bitterness and the softness of lilac. Rendez-Vous has an abstract structure that allows the imagination to take wing, and it is one of my favorites among the samples.

All of these fragrances were admirable, and I didn't actually dislike any of them - even the ones I wouldn't want to wear on a regular basis. Swing was my least favorite, followed by Siecle and Harrods Knightsbridge Rose; Elvis, Eau Frivole, Rendez-Vous and de Rothschild were equally beautiful to me, even though their scent categories are quite different.
    Elvis is my hands-down pick. I'd even back it up.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Elvis is my hands-down pick. I'd even back it up.
    It's fabulous. A backup would be good to have.

Wow, Bonnette, what a fun read! Fantastic reviews! And agree with so many of your points. Like you, I enjoyed smelling all of them and could gladly own a couple of them, too. Especially appreciate your Swing review as it can be so hard to find something to say about areas of non-interest. But you did it so well! I liked Swing more than you (because I like citrus) but your review is spot on. I also take Zealot's point about cost of this one; as much as I liked it, there are plenty of similar, more accessible scents in this category.

Elvis and Rothschild, two great picks! And Frivole wins the pass! I can't pick out which florals are here, either. I just know they're there, especially when compared to more citrusy or greener chypres. Your snake in the forest metaphor is vivid and just right. If I could paint that scene, I would need lots of greens and browns with little smudges of red, purple, pink, yellow and white. And that's Frivole!

epapsiou needs to take Eau Frivole out for a victory lap! Show it off around the neighborhood and such.

Thank you so much, Bonnette; always a joy to have you around! And thanks again to everyone! Every one of your contributions have been very appreciated and they add up to one heck of a thread, if you ask me. You all should be proud of your writing here. I may not have a right to be, but I am proud for you guys! Excellent work all around and I have just really loved this pass. Great job, all!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Bonnette, I agree with you on a bunch of these. I might have also mentioned Jardins de Bagatelle talking about Rendezvous-Vous. Swing might be the only one we’re different on.

Missing Oakmoss

This was so much fun! It was a real pleasure to be part of this pass and be in such great company.

PerfumedLady, I love your scenic painting of Eau Frivole and can clearly visualize the greens, brown, and smudges of red, purple, pink, yellow and white you describe - perfect painting of that gorgeous scent!

Bavard, I'm a poor judge of Swing, since I don't care for citrus - I agree it was well done and can see why you like it, it's just not a category I'm good at.

Bavard, I'm a poor judge of Swing, since I don't care for citrus - I agree it was well done and can see why you like it, it's just not a category I'm good at.
    That’s just it, Bonnette, you judged it very well! Your review is objective and accurate. Again, very hard to do if it’s not your style. Not everyone can do it. I’m quite impressed by your Swing review! And I’m so glad you had fun!

Always be smelling

I am going to vault Eau Frivole
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I am going to vault Eau Frivole
    Don’t blame you a bit! How you ever managed to luck into all of these is beyond me, and Frivole takes the prize. Also wouldn’t blame you if you asked for my decant back. You can’t have it, but I wouldn’t blame you.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Great reviews, Bonette! It was nice having you. Even if they weren't your words, I got a huge kick out of "Elvis never smelled this good."

All of these fragrances were admirable, and I didn't actually dislike any of them - even the ones I wouldn't want to wear on a regular basis.
    That pretty much exactly how I felt. I don't think I had tried a single Fragonard before this pass and as I went through them, I became increasingly surprised that fragrance after fragrance we're so well done, even if they weren't for me.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

I enjoyed this pass so much, for many reasons.

Special props to Grayspoole for her investigative work that enlightened us about an unsung American woman perfumer, Frances de Rothschild and her Lenel perfumes.

Special love to PL and Papsi for being our perfect host and perfect enabler, respectively.

This was so much fun! It was a real pleasure to be part of this pass and be in such great company.
    It really, really was. It had learning, it had laughs, it had wonderful strange surprises (Elvis! Chicken broth and opium!), it had everything I could want in a sample pass. It was an absolute delight, and I'd like to sign off with just two words -- no, not "mincemeat pies", but just a big fat THANK YOU.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Don’t blame you a bit! How you ever managed to luck into all of these is beyond me, and Frivole takes the prize.
    Sweat, blood, tears and luck.
    Mostly luck

Missing Oakmoss

Thank you so much for your kind words, PerfumedLady!

IsoESuperman, Mr. Bonnette has quite a gift for summing things up and I think he got as big a kick out of this pass as I did.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed it too
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Always be smelling

Glad it was well enjoyed.
    On to Avons