Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Sample pass-Fragonard (+rare bonus samples)-CONUS

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Start with Elvis.
    So you can say - Elvis was an opening act for my gig
    Good call, makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I have these samples now. I've been getting a Guerlain fix before I dive into them.
    That's just fine, get your Guerlain on as needed! And enjoy the pass!

Always be smelling

Trying to bump this.
    I tried Fragonard Santal - meh.
    Too sweet and unlike SW
    Last edited by epapsiou; 15th March 2018 at 07:26 PM.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Trying to bump this.
    I tried Fragonard Santal - meh.
    Too sweet and unlike SW
    Hi Epapsiou-

SW = sandalwood?

Haven't tried it but the reviews make it sound more like a generic amber than a sandalwood perfume.

Some reviews on Fragrantica say Santal smells like a thinned Tam Dao. Do you know Tam Dao and do you agree?
    Currently wearing: Métal by Paco Rabanne

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi Epapsiou-

SW = sandalwood?

Haven't tried it but the reviews make it sound more like a generic amber than a sandalwood perfume.

Some reviews on Fragrantica say Santal smells like a thinned Tam Dao. Do you know Tam Dao and do you agree?
    SW=SandalWood oil

I think you are right. Amber it is . And bad one at that.
    Not at all like Tam Dao , which I find similar to wood of Sandal (not SW oil)
    I think the SW effect in fragonard may be thinned own version of Tam Dao but the composition is not same. I will do a side by side later and will post.

I'm ready to start breaking into these samples. I'm winding down the Guerlain and L'Artisan Parfumeur synchronization.

I've sprayed on a little Fragonard Eau Frivole, and it's lovely. Not perfect, but impressive.

I just scanned the discussions above. I'm not surprised it was marketed as masculine. I'm not surprised to see it describe as a chypre. The comparison to Eau Sauvage is interesting. It's at least comparable in having a classic feel.

I would imagine seeing it described it as a leather chypre rather than a floral chypre. It's a beauty. I see I may have started with the best one first. Ok. Maybe some of the others will surprise me and I'll like them even more.

I enjoyed your thoughts, Bavard! Yes, definitely a chypre and probably a riff on another house's better known chypre, though I can't guess which one. I do know this style of chypre was extremely popular in the late 60s into the 1970s. I can recall lots of gents smelling something like this as a little girl, and probably none of them were wearing Frivole. Occasionally, what's popular and what's actually good do coincide. Just not very often.

I did think Frivole the best of the bunch but I wasn't disappointed by the others in the least. I think you'll still find something fun in there!

Elvis cologne by Frances Denney - This is a nice, familiar, vintage-smelling fragrance. It has a boozy twist to make it different and interesting. It's a little in the Giorgio VIP realm, and a little like something else, maybe Salvador Dali Pour Homme. It's great.
    Last edited by Bavard; 27th March 2018 at 03:27 AM.

Always be smelling

Elvis cologne by Frances Denney - This is a nice, familiar, vintage-smelling fragrance. It has a boozy twist to make it different and interesting. It's a little in the Giorgio VIP realm, and a little like something else, maybe Salvador Dali Pour Homme. It's great.
    It is Elvis. It had to be great

Today I'm wearing de Rothschild edc. I didn't find it in the directory. It's another good one. I'm three for three on this pass so far.

Of the two fragrances this is reminding me of, I definitely like it more than Dunhill Blend 30, but not as much as Patou Pour Homme (1980). (After a couple hours, it's also reminding me of Gianfranco Ferre for Man, maybe even more than the Dunhill and the Patou).

It's ambitious, but not perfect. It has moments when it soars, and moments when it smells not quite balanced, like the sweetness is a little clumsy (although not as much as Dunhill Blend 30).

Eau Frivole was beautiful, but smelled so familiar. My memory can't keep up with everything I've sampled, but Eau Frivole smells just like something else I've worn. As it developed, I wanted to call it a spicy chypre. It's beautiful, but a fairly quiet, restrained fragrance, and not unique in my experience.

Elvis was so much fun, and probably my favorite of the first three.

All three have been brilliant. De Rothschild has beautiful moments in the development - impressive perfume.
    Last edited by Bavard; 27th March 2018 at 04:15 PM.

Rendez-Vous - This is feminine to my nose. I can often reinvent a fragrance marketed to women as something that works for me, but I don't think I can pull this one off. It's a lovely woody floral. I like it. My imagination runs wild - I keep checking for the woman in the room. Is she as pretty as she smells? That would be something.

After some development, this smells slightly tropical. It would be a good one for a beach vacation.
    Last edited by Bavard; 28th March 2018 at 02:34 AM.

Excellent reviews, Bavard! I thought you’d probably enjoy most of these and I’m glad to see that’s true. I even guessed that Elvis might be your favorite! Happy to see it getting more praise.

Rendez-Vous is definitely the most typically feminine of our samples. “Woody floral” is a great description; I might even describe it as woody floriental, though I’d need to smell the base again to say for sure. I agree that de Rothschild is interesting, though the sweetness you pointed out did bother me at times. I like sweet, it just maybe seems a tad out of place here? Still, not bothersome enough to spoil the scent as a whole. It does seem ambitious; I can imagine someone being very proud of this at the time of its conception. Very interesting that you compare it to the practically mythical Patou, which I’ve never tried. That would be good news for lots of BN gents, if de Rothschild were a bargain. However, the bottles I’m seeing (that are like epapsiou’s) are quite pricey as well. Must not be a lot of Rothschild out there, at least not our version. Too bad, I’d recommend it to several BN gents if it were more accessible and/or more reasonably priced for a blind buy.

epapsiou, I don’t mean to pry too much about what you spent, but did you manage to find a deal when you got de Rothschild? If so, you were very, very smart!

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post

epapsiou, I don’t mean to pry too much about what you spent, but did you manage to find a deal when you got de Rothschild? If so, you were very, very smart!
    Pry away.
    It was a partial (about 40ml) for about $30 I think.
    It was not cheap as there are some available now for even cheaper
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/222710936197

But the one on ebay is the newer formulation (same as the link grayspoole article had). Don't know how different it is from the one in the pass.
    Last edited by epapsiou; 28th March 2018 at 01:08 PM.

Pry away.
    It was a partial (about 40ml) for about $30 I think.
    It was not cheap as there are some available now for even cheaper
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/222710936197

But the one on ebay is the newer formulation (same as the link grayspoole article had). Don't know how different it is from the one in the pass.
    Oh wow! I did see lots of the newer bottles but only two that are the same as you have. The less expensive of those two is listed at $155, the other at over $200. There may be better prices out there with some digging but this is what just a quick search found. You did do great on this buy and I’m so glad we got to try it! I very much doubt that the newer version is anything like what you have.

I'm up to sample number five of seven, Swing. Similar to the others, this has a bit of magic in the opening blast, somewhat similar to Gucci Nobile in this case.

This one smells better at a distance than close up. Within a minute or two of applying, the smell up close is reminding me of a recently cleaned bathroom. It's interesting. There's still some relation to Gucci Nobile or Duc de Vervins L'Extreme by Houbigant. It's challenging but not off-putting. It smells like it's made with good ingredients, and like it will develop well. I'll update after a bit.

It develops well, and the industrial detergent-type smell becomes a nicer, soapy smell. It's a nice fragrance overall, maybe a little less exciting than the others, but an interesting, wearable fragrance.
    Last edited by Bavard; 29th March 2018 at 03:45 PM.

Always be smelling

Oh wow! I did see lots of the newer bottles but only two that are the same as you have. The less expensive of those two is listed at $155, the other at over $200. There may be better prices out there with some digging but this is what just a quick search found. You did do great on this buy and I’m so glad we got to try it! I very much doubt that the newer version is anything like what you have.
    One of my lucky finds I guess. I bought it blind and was bit miffed at the bottle condition (the name was peeling off).
    Oh and it just occurred to me - all of the fragrance in this pass were blind buys (with no research) at decent prices.

Elvis is a bit different as Bigsly suggested that to me. So technically blind but assisted?
    And I was bidding for Santal by Fragonard but the seller sent Siecle instead (he said he had wrong description). I wanted to return but he offered partial refund and so I kept it.

Maybe we should change the title of thread to - Lucky Blind Buys.

Siecle - A little like YSL Opium Pour Homme edp, a strong, sweet oriental. I used to love this style, but I've gone off it.
    Last edited by Bavard; 29th March 2018 at 05:20 AM.

Harrods Knightsbridge Rose EdP - I'm not seeing this in the directory. It's an ok rose fragrance. It's warm for a rose fragrance. It reminds me of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, maybe a simpler version of the Aramis. The longevity is tremendous, and the base is nice: a nice, inoffensive woods that hangs onto a sweet floral smell.

Order of Preference
    I think my joint favorites were (1) Elvis and Rendez-Vous, then (3) Eau de Frivole, (4) de Rothschild, (5) Swing, (6) Harrods Knightsbridge Rose, and (7) Siecle.

The top five were impressive, and considering the performance, the Harrods was as well.
    Last edited by Bavard; 29th March 2018 at 11:49 PM.

Always be smelling

Harrods Knightsbridge Rose EdP - I'm not seeing this in the directory. It's an ok rose fragrance. It's warm for a rose fragrance. It reminds me of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, maybe a simpler version of the Aramis.

I think my joint favorites were (1) Elvis and Rendez-Vous, then (3) Eau de Frivole, (4) de Rothschild, (5) Swing, (6) Harrods Knightsbridge Rose, and (7) Siecle.

The top five were impressive.
    Rothschild gets 4th
    I thought it would be numero uno

One of my lucky finds I guess. I bought it blind and was bit miffed at the bottle condition (the name was peeling off).
    Oh and it just occurred to me - all of the fragrance in this pass were blind buys (with no research) at decent prices.

Elvis is a bit different as Bigsly suggested that to me. So technically blind but assisted?
    And I was bidding for Santal by Fragonard but the seller sent Siecle instead (he said he had wrong description). I wanted to return but he offered partial refund and so I kept it.

Maybe we should change the title of thread to - Lucky Blind Buys.
    You, sir, are much better at blind buying than I am! Lucky Blind Buys, indeed. There are good reasons why I only allow myself one or two BBs per year. Maybe I should quit doing research, lol! Obviously, the perfume gods smile upon you. Oh, and Bigsly would be called your "enabler". Most of my best blind buys are due to help from enablers.

And I wouldn't worry too much about de Rothschild placing fourth on Bavard's list. It's just because they're all so good, I bet!

I loved reading your posts, Bavard! I also had ridiculously good longevity from that Knightsbridge Rose, and in spite of being a bit clunky to my nose at first, I did really enjoy the drydown. Your order of preference is much like I expected it would be, though Rendez-Vous competing with Elvis for the top spot is a (nice) surprise! Happy to see our one feminine so highly rated (and she sure is a pretty lady).

You and epapsiou and I have been sample passing so long now, I almost feel I know your noses as well as my own! As always, your valuable contributions are much appreciated, Bavard! This is already shaping up to be such a great, informative thread. Thank you!!

And I wouldn't worry too much about de Rothschild placing fourth on Bavard's list. It's just because they're all so good, I bet!
    That's right, and Swing at 5th was also great.

Rendez-Vous was so beautiful, interesting, strong, and long-lasting, it kept elevating itself in my thoughts. It captured my interest similar to the way Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle does, with thoughts of beautiful feminine perfection.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

These arrived safe and sound, thanks Bavard. I'll be doing some concurrent 4160 Tuesdays (which is almost wrapped up) sampling as well. So far I have tried Harrod's Rose and Frivole. I have sniffing notes scribbled on an index card somewhere that I'll type up later.

Initial thoughts were that I liked them both. Frivole, despite the seemingly girly packaging, is a nice unisex citrus aromatic. Harrod's Rose seemed quite unlike what I expected Fragonard's aesthetic to be...which makes sense, considering it is a Bond No.9! I forgot there were other houses included in here, duh. It might be the first ever Bond that I found enjoyable. Another that despite the girly packaging, seemed fairly unisex to me. Although I've long been partial to wearing rose so I'm sure there's some bias there.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    It might be the first ever Bond that I found enjoyable.
    Harrods Knightsbridge Rose EdP- this is not a Bond No.9 rose done for Harrods (as I had to clarify myself). This is Harrods own brand and my understanding is that epapsiou possibly has the one and only bottle of this rose (which may be an exaggeration but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the only bottle in the US). If anyone else has info on this, we can't find it. We owe him big kisses and thank yous for this!
    It's a nice rose fragrance, very long lasting.

Always be smelling

These arrived safe and sound, thanks Bavard. I'll be doing some concurrent 4160 Tuesdays (which is almost wrapped up) sampling as well. So far I have tried Harrod's Rose and Frivole. I have sniffing notes scribbled on an index card somewhere that I'll type up later.

Initial thoughts were that I liked them both. Frivole, despite the seemingly girly packaging, is a nice unisex citrus aromatic. Harrod's Rose seemed quite unlike what I expected Fragonard's aesthetic to be...which makes sense, considering it is a Bond No.9! I forgot there were other houses included in here, duh. It might be the first ever Bond that I found enjoyable. Another that despite the girly packaging, seemed fairly unisex to me. Although I've long been partial to wearing rose so I'm sure there's some bias there.
    No sir, your bond no 9 record remains intact.
    This Rose is not by BN9.
    No one here knows what it is.
    You can see a pic in the first few posts.
    It is Harrods Private Label.

Basenotes Plus

But doesn't Harrod's have well-known houses create their private label scents, like the "Knightsbridge" that Piguet did for them recently?

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Harrods Knightsbridge Rose EdP- this is not a Bond No.9 rose done for Harrods (as I had to clarify myself). This is Harrods own brand and my understanding is that epapsiou possibly has the one and only bottle of this rose (which may be an exaggeration but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the only bottle in the US). If anyone else has info on this, we can't find it. We owe him big kisses and thank yous for this!
    No sir, your bond no 9 record remains intact.
    This Rose is not by BN9.
    No one here knows what it is.
    You can see a pic in the first few posts.
    It is Harrods Private Label.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    But doesn't Harrod's have well-known houses create their private label scents, like the "Knightsbridge" that Piguet did for them recently?
    The plot thickens. Can you tell I didn't read the first post?

So I guess the Frivole in the directory here is not the same as Eau de Frivole either, which makes sense based on what I'm smelling. The packaging certainly seems less aimed at the feminine consumer.
    _________

Eau de Frivole

My first thought was a less dense Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée with an incensey note. The overall scent and quality surprised me - it seems like a blend of traditional and modern sensibilities, with a blend of modern and pre-IFRA materials (notably real moss, or what smells like it). This is a pretty outstanding perfume. An oriental-leaning, masculine-leaning (perhaps unisex), aromatic chyproid with enough trimmings to make it interesting without being overstuffed or busy. The funny thing is, while I love the original Pour Monsieur, I don't really like Pour Monsieur Concentrée that much. Eau de Frivole is what I wished it smelled like.

Harrod's (mystery) Rose

A very good unisex, woody, oriental rose. This immediately brought a number of things to mind - sort of like a combination of pieces from Portrait of a Lady, Incense Oud (Kilian), and Hendley Rosenthal...but it reminds me mostly of the latter. It's easygoing, not too loud, woody/spicy enough to add texture and distraction from a full-blown rose note, enabling the average Joe to wear it and not have to make extra grunting noises to ensure intact masculinity.

Eau de Frivole

My first thought was a less dense Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée with an incensey note. The overall scent and quality surprised me - it seems like a blend of traditional and modern sensibilities, with a blend of modern and pre-IFRA materials (notably real moss, or what smells like it). This is a pretty outstanding perfume. An oriental-leaning, masculine-leaning (perhaps unisex), aromatic chyproid with enough trimmings to make it interesting without being overstuffed or busy. The funny thing is, while I love the original Pour Monsieur, I don't really like Pour Monsieur Concentrée that much. Eau de Frivole is what I wished it smelled like.
    Everyone's loving on Eau de Frivole, it's that good, a unifier.

Always be smelling

Everyone's loving on Eau de Frivole, it's that good, a unifier.
    That was surprising. But to me the Rose is the biggest surprise. I was sure it would be universally derided.

That was surprising. But to me the Rose is the biggest surprise. I was sure it would be universally derided.
    Interesting. Isn't it a little like Aramis Calligraphy Rose, which I think has broad appeal?

I've mentioned how strong/long-lasting the Harrods Rose is. My kids almost never comment on fragrances, but my daughter asked me about it about eight hours after I had put it on. It was totally projecting after that much time, I could smell it myself, and it gets nice in the base, so we collectively had a moment's reflection on this high-powered rose.

Always be smelling

Interesting. Isn't it a little like Aramis Calligraphy Rose, which I think has broad appeal?

I've mentioned how strong/long-lasting the Harrods Rose is. My kids almost never comment on fragrances, but my daughter asked me about it about eight hours after I had put it on. It was totally projecting after that much time, I could smell it myself, and it gets nice in the base, so we collectively had a moment's reflection on this high-powered rose.
    It is long lasting for sure. Your daughter has good nose. I wish my kids showed interest in my hobby.

I find Aramis Rose to be a much better composition than Harrods much simpler rose.
    Plus I am a sucker for saffron. Also I think my Harrod bottle suffers from some top note losses.