Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sample pass-Fragonard (+rare bonus samples)-CONUS

I received my package today and will start testing and analyzing reviewing all the samples. I'll give priority to the ones from the pass and finish them before sending to the next, as there were a few extra sent to me by the gracious Kotori and they're not part of the pass so I don't want to hold up the train any longer than need be by discussing or reviewing them while in possession of the pass items,
    oh look, I have a signature

Thank you for checking in, Zealot Crusader, much appreciated! Not at all surprised (but delighted!) to hear you got some bonus samples. Very sweet, Kotori! I hope you have fun with all of them, ZC!

Enjoy!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Enjoy!
    I will, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Thank you for checking in, Zealot Crusader, much appreciated! Not at all surprised (but delighted!) to hear you got some bonus samples. Very sweet, Kotori! I hope you have fun with all of them, ZC!
    What's the average time I have with these? I don't want to keep anyone waiting, and with samples given, I kinda space them out between my own stuff, which is why I have stiff from Paps, Caramel, Acey, Fragswap, and My2 that I have yet to try, cuz I don't wanna burn out on new stuff and like to "relax" with familiar things so there's more mental energy to write something decent when I do sample/review. I am also super late on my own sample hand-outs (semi-unrelated) because I realized I need a label maker or something cuz I don't have pretty handwriting like the camel. :C

Lol, my handwriting is hideous; don't feel bad!

We haven't been too strict on time, ZC. I'd say two weeks is fair for a lot this size, but if you need longer, just speak up! I'm happy to work with my sampler's schedules, and we always get them done somehow in the end. The important thing is that you focus more on enjoyment than deadlines. This group is patient and understanding so don't be shy if you see you'll need a bit longer!

Missing Oakmoss

We haven't been too strict on time, ZC. I'd say two weeks is fair for a lot this size, but if you need longer, just speak up! I'm happy to work with my sampler's schedules, and we always get them done somehow in the end. The important thing is that you focus more on enjoyment than deadlines. This group is patient and understanding so don't be shy if you see you'll need a bit longer!
    ZC, I believe I am the last person in the pass and please be assured that I am in no hurry - take all the time you need to appreciate these fragrances. I quite agree with PerfumedLady that the important thing is to focus on enjoyment!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Lol, my handwriting is hideous; don't feel bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    ZC, I believe I am the last person in the pass and please be assured that I am in no hurry - take all the time you need to appreciate these fragrances. I quite agree with PerfumedLady that the important thing is to focus on enjoyment!
    Thank you. My workdays are about 12 hours long and I work weekends twice a month too, so I tend to zombify a bit. I'll do a sample tonight

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I hate to double-post but I think that since I am near the tail-end of this pass, most folks have tuned out of the thread and moved on, so I'll keep it short.

I chose Elvis first because the camp was too much to resist. Not much info on it since Frances Denney is a dead house, but old newspaper archives and tidbits from memorabilia listings gave me enough info for my review, although the actual sampling was a blind flight (but fun) since there is no note pyramid to check. I've done this with vintage Avon too so it's no surprise. It's really good, although underpowered for it's style.

I'll let the review do the rest of the talking.

Hi Zealot Crusader--

I'm still reading! I enjoyed your review of Elvis very much, and I think our perceptions were pretty much in alignment (I posted my comments at the start of this thread).

I got a waft of gasoline at the start of my test of Elvis, which I think you found to be more of an animalic accord but perhaps I was thinking of Elvis' love of gold Cadillacs at the time.

Elvis just didn't feel like a cologne fit for the King, in my opinion. What would I pick for him? Probably Brut or perhaps an old school vetiver from Hové in New Orleans.
    Currently wearing: Noontide Petals by Tauer

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I'm still reading!
    Same here.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Same here.
    Me too. Have just been waiting for the sniffing notes to roll in here. I don't often check new directory reviews so feel free to go as long as you want here. Sometimes I'll basically write a "review" in a sample pass thread, then c&p into the directory later.

I liked Elvis. I recall it being a bit spicy/Christmasy, well-balanced. Doesn't jive with my image of the man himself, but then again I guess it doesn't have to.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi Zealot Crusader--

I'm still reading! I enjoyed your review of Elvis very much, and I think our perceptions were pretty much in alignment (I posted my comments at the start of this thread).

I got a waft of gasoline at the start of my test of Elvis, which I think you found to be more of an animalic accord but perhaps I was thinking of Elvis' love of gold Cadillacs at the time.

Elvis just didn't feel like a cologne fit for the King, in my opinion. What would I pick for him? Probably Brut or perhaps an old school vetiver from Hové in New Orleans.
    From my research, he never surpassed his blue collar stylings outside of his costumes later on, so his wardrobe was surprisingly humble, and YES it DID contain Aqua Velva, something called Lenel (not in directory), then both Brut and even Hai Karate later! Towards the end of his life, he was given Fragonard Zizanie by somebody and ended up using that a lot up until his death in 77.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Me too. Have just been waiting for the sniffing notes to roll in here. I don't often check new directory reviews so feel free to go as long as you want here. Sometimes I'll basically write a "review" in a sample pass thread, then c&p into the directory later.

I liked Elvis. I recall it being a bit spicy/Christmasy, well-balanced. Doesn't jive with my image of the man himself, but then again I guess it doesn't have to.
    I feel like Elvis was a good (but semi over-composed/typical) 80's powerhouse composition that the then-floundering Frances Denney needed some name recognition to push. Since the estate of Elvis was still trying to get the $$$ from his legacy, it seemed like a good idea, despite the scent not particularly feeling like "Elvis" at all.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I feel like Elvis was a good (but semi over-composed/typical) 80's powerhouse composition
    I got a kick out of this line in your review:
    "All in all, it's just a jumble of power notes that each on their own could totally shape the personality of whatever masculine they're in, but together just exchange punches in a battle royale for control over your nose."

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I recall it being a bit spicy/Christmasy
    (Mincemeat pies)

Basenotes Plus

"All in all, it's just a jumble of power notes that each on their own could totally shape the personality of whatever masculine they're in, but together just exchange punches in a battle royale for control over your nose."

I love how ZC just throws that off......like Clapton in a solo....it's rhythm enchants.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I got a kick out of this line in your review:

(Mincemeat pies)
    Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post

I love how ZC just throws that off......like Clapton in a solo....it's rhythm enchants.
    Too bad I can only play the bass. XD

Also, the Eau Frivole leaked as did the Rothschild, but there is now precious too little of the Eau Frivole left so I'll pass on that and let Bonnette have the final swig.

Missing Oakmoss

...the Eau Frivole leaked as did the Rothschild, but there is now precious too little of the Eau Frivole left so I'll pass on that and let Bonnette have the final swig.
    But I don't to rob you of the pleasure - is there enough left for each of us to enjoy just a drop?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

But I don't to rob you of the pleasure - is there enough left for each of us to enjoy just a drop?
    I might be able to safely do a single spray and still allow you a full wear, but I was wantingto err on the side of caution because I was a late addition to this pass as it is.

Missing Oakmoss

I might be able to safely do a single spray and still allow you a full wear, but I was wantingto err on the side of caution because I was a late addition to this pass as it is.
    That is most thoughtful of you, ZC, but I am a later addition than you...let's share those few remaining drops.

Always be smelling

Don't worry about Eau Frivole. Use it all up ZC. I will send Bonette some.

It is a frivilous matter
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    That is very generous of you, epapsiou! Thank you!

It is a frivilous matter
    That's a very generous solution to the problem! Thank you epapsiou! I could also spare a sample from the lovely decant you shared with me (which I'm wearing now, btw!). You've been so kind already and I don't want you to spare more than is comfortable. If you'd rather go this route, just let me know!

I'm enjoying your notes, Zealot Crusader! "Overcomposed", I love that description of typical 80s scents! They certainly were. We got a bit Baroque there for a time, didn't we? And Elvis definitely falls in this category. I'll be stealing this to use as a complimentary term.

If the conversation lags a bit, that's ok ZC! Take all the time you need; there are still many of us keeping an eye on the thread for new posts. We'll be here with you as you're able to post. And go ahead and use up the Frivole! We have it under control.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It is a frivilous matter
    That is very generous of you, epapsiou! Thank you!
    That's a very generous solution to the problem! Thank you epapsiou! I could also spare a sample from the lovely decant you shared with me (which I'm wearing now, btw!). You've been so kind already and I don't want you to spare more than is comfortable. If you'd rather go this route, just let me know!

I'm enjoying your notes, Zealot Crusader! "Overcomposed", I love that description of typical 80s scents! They certainly were. We got a bit Baroque there for a time, didn't we? And Elvis definitely falls in this category. I'll be stealing this to use as a complimentary term.

If the conversation lags a bit, that's ok ZC! Take all the time you need; there are still many of us keeping an eye on the thread for new posts. We'll be here with you as you're able to post. And go ahead and use up the Frivole! We have it under control.
    I'll definitely sit down to a nice bowl of pasta Frivioli after I get home and report back here to the Fraggle Rock sample pass, but before I march off to work in some Vera Wang, let me drop this bit of info I culled from Cleopatra's Boudoir

https://cleopatrasboudoir.blogspot.c...-perfumes.html

According to this, Fragonard is a super-classy clone company, and although there are zero sources to verify this, they do list many scents and what they're meant to imitate right beside. Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Be back soon!

Missing Oakmoss

https://cleopatrasboudoir.blogspot.c...-perfumes.html

According to this, Fragonard is a super-classy clone company, and although there are zero sources to verify this, they do list many scents and what they're meant to imitate right beside. Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you, but it's interesting nonetheless.
    Very interesting, indeed! Thank you for the link.

Yes, thank you ZC! That's fantastic! I see more on there I'd love to smell; this link will be handy. A Fragonard Shalimar dupe, yes to that! I see no reason to doubt this list, based on what we've smelled. We're all in agreement that Frivole must be based on Eau Sauvage (and what a fine job of it; enjoying this so much today) and we did have a discussion about Drakkar as a possibility for Swing. I wish Siecle (Sickle) was on the list, though! And I still have a hard time equating the aldehydes of Rendez-Vous with those of White Linen, but I do not trust my notes on this one, lol. That could just be due to age of the scent, my own fondness of blasting my sinus passages with aldehydes regularly, or just a plain bad nose day. I defer to others on Rendez-Vous/White Linen.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Very interesting, indeed! Thank you for the link.
    Yes, thank you ZC! That's fantastic! I see more on there I'd love to smell; this link will be handy. A Fragonard Shalimar dupe, yes to that! I see no reason to doubt this list, based on what we've smelled. We're all in agreement that Frivole must be based on Eau Sauvage (and what a fine job of it; enjoying this so much today) and we did have a discussion about Drakkar as a possibility for Swing. I wish Siecle (Sickle) was on the list, though! And I still have a hard time equating the aldehydes of Rendez-Vous with those of White Linen, but I do not trust my notes on this one, lol. That could just be due to age of the scent, my own fondness of blasting my sinus passages with aldehydes regularly, or just a plain bad nose day. I defer to others on Rendez-Vous/White Linen.
    Although as a side note, seeing as Elvis Presley wore Fragonard Zizanie in the last few years of his life, and that it came out way back in 1932, I'm curious enough to blind buy it, since it's also quite divisive according to reviews and the "Notice Me" scents with any level of notoriety I end up liking (e.g.: Salvador Dali Pour Homme, Lapidus Pour Homme, Moustache by Rochas, Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet)

I think we need to add the Fragonard dupe of Shalimar to my Shalimar Descendants thread!

Great share, Zac!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I dared a single spray of the Eau Frivole, and I do see the Eau Sauvage connection, but brought further unisex by drier and dustier florals in the front, and not as much evident citrus or hedione. I do get a nice buttery oakmoss finish, which is something new Eau Sauvage sadly is missing (but it's still good), but Eau Frivole is rather simple floral dry unisex chypre with a citrus top, dusty middle, and mossy bottom. I can see why this was probably switched out for the current feminine Frivole, as it's pretty cut and dry. Likeable, not amazing.

The Siecle on the other hand is blooming with vanilla, cinammon, clove, tonka, moss, and just a bunch of oriental/fougere crossover goodies, reminding me of Endymion, Scott McClintock, Avon Starring for Men, Sartorial, and even shades of Michael for Men all at once. It's indicative of it's 90's oriental crossover time (when nothing was an out-and-out oriental because folks were hellbent on fresh scents), but is only a few strides away from barbershop with it's vanilla and spice. It's really good, and I barely like it better than the Eau Frivole, but not "lets be Indiana Jones and go on a quest to find a full bottle" good, when all these other options pop up more often on the fleecebay.

To be honest, the feminine Rendezvous really has my attention, if I had a third arm, I'd be sniffing that right now too.

Cheers!

(omitting reviews at the moment because too tired from work, but since Siecle has an entry, I might sniff again and drum one up, we'll see)

I haven’t tried the current Frivole but for my tastes, it sounds yuck. Seems to be centered around one of those synthetic peony accords, from what I’ve read. Sounds like a typical modern mall floral. But, given what the house does, it makes sense. Just continuing on their tradition of currently popular scent families, done the Fragonard way.

I’m so glad you mentioned florals in our Eau Frivole; I did feel that it was more floral than my recollection of Eau Sauvage. And felt more unisex on me than I think ES would (have only smelled this one on others, and a long time ago). The buttery (great description!) oakmoss is surely what hooks me in most, and here I really do see similarities to vintage Dior; a darkness lurking in the base, in spite of perfectly polished treatment of oakmoss. I like that vibe, a lot! I thought I remembered quite a lot more hedione in ES than EF as well, but again aging could have affected that note. I still swear the herbal accord is bringing to mind Guerlain’s use of herbs, but I can’t place my nose on why. Only that it’s not the Guerlain anise; more like the Herbs de Provence bouquet used in some of their lighter classics. Whether meant to be an exact dupe or just Fragonard’s take on the style, EF has some very fine ES lineage. I’m a sucker for this style; as long as it isn’t done poorly, I’m almost always bound to love these types.

I like your Michael comparison to Siecle! I can see that! An all around excellent write-up, ZC!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I haven’t tried the current Frivole but for my tastes, it sounds yuck. Seems to be centered around one of those synthetic peony accords, from what I’ve read. Sounds like a typical modern mall floral. But, given what the house does, it makes sense. Just continuing on their tradition of currently popular scent families, done the Fragonard way.

I’m so glad you mentioned florals in our Eau Frivole; I did feel that it was more floral than my recollection of Eau Sauvage. And felt more unisex on me than I think ES would (have only smelled this one on others, and a long time ago). The buttery (great description!) oakmoss is surely what hooks me in most, and here I really do see similarities to vintage Dior; a darkness lurking in the base, in spite of perfectly polished treatment of oakmoss. I like that vibe, a lot! I thought I remembered quite a lot more hedione in ES than EF as well, but again aging could have affected that note. I still swear the herbal accord is bringing to mind Guerlain’s use of herbs, but I can’t place my nose on why. Only that it’s not the Guerlain anise; more like the Herbs de Provence bouquet used in some of their lighter classics. Whether meant to be an exact dupe or just Fragonard’s take on the style, EF has some very fine ES lineage. I’m a sucker for this style; as long as it isn’t done poorly, I’m almost always bound to love these types.

I like your Michael comparison to Siecle! I can see that! An all around excellent write-up, ZC!
    So I have the Harrod's Rose (from mystery perfumer rather than the later Bond iteration), and having never smelled the Bond version, I can't compare, but what I get is a pretty resinous rose, with something ambery and leathery coupled with maybe just a smidge of animalic, but I can't say it's civet because I don't know the age of the perfume either, so it could be synthetic proxy. It feels unisex to me, and compares to French Line, Azzaro Acteur, and other leathery rose scents from the 80's, except just a tiny bit more ambery and sweet than them. It's a shame this was replaced with the Bond No 9 products, because I guarantee they don't come across as gender-neutral as this nor are probably as balanced, from what my experience with other Bond samples has shown. It's a nice mystery for sure.

The rendez-vous reminds me a LOT of an Avon perfume my mother loved called Bird of Paradise, although I know it 's just the semi-peachy open they share, and probably some tuberose too. It's an aldehydic floral of the type I'd expect to be popular in the 60's and 70's, the proper lady alternative to all the grassy and leathery sharp florals that were also going around then, a la No. 19. This feels more like what the ladies still clinging on to old pretenses would wear, while the sharper stuff from that period what their daughters or rebellious younger sisters wore. I like Rendez-Vous, but without the same level of knowledge in feminines to draw upon, it just feels like a fruity, then floral, then powdery transition that I can't place.

Now all I have left are the Rothschild and Swing scents, the latter of which is basically a Drakkar competitor of sorts with a unicorn price tag because it bit the big weenie years ago. I gleaned as much from a single cap sniff and a google search on it.

^You're correct that the Bond roses are not as good. In our Harrods Rose, I did get a teensy bit of harshness from the opening, which confused me into thinking it was in fact the earliest Bond No.9 rose, and there is a similar brightness to the rose itself. But ours then veers off in a totally different direction, on a plusher and just nicer base, thankfully. No Bond No.9 screeching synthetics here!

I've always wondered about Bird of Paradise! Never got to smell that one, at least not that I recall. I heard it mentioned often enough to know it must have been pretty well-loved, though. Sounds like I would have enjoyed it!

I don't know or don't remember the original Drakkar, but Swing reminded me of Drakkar Noir enough (but not spot on) to think maybe it could be based on the Drakkar style, at least. I was happy to see it mentioned in that link!

You've done just great on timing, ZC! Only two to go, that was very fast! If you need to slow down and take a bit more time, go ahead! We'll certainly understand, what with your schedule.