Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sample pass-Fragonard (+rare bonus samples)-CONUS

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    ^You're correct that the Bond roses are not as good. In our Harrods Rose, I did get a teensy bit of harshness from the opening, which confused me into thinking it was in fact the earliest Bond No.9 rose, and there is a similar brightness to the rose itself. But ours then veers off in a totally different direction, on a plusher and just nicer base, thankfully. No Bond No.9 screeching synthetics here!

I've always wondered about Bird of Paradise! Never got to smell that one, at least not that I recall. I heard it mentioned often enough to know it must have been pretty well-loved, though. Sounds like I would have enjoyed it!

I don't know or don't remember the original Drakkar, but Swing reminded me of Drakkar Noir enough (but not spot on) to think maybe it could be based on the Drakkar style, at least. I was happy to see it mentioned in that link!

You've done just great on timing, ZC! Only two to go, that was very fast! If you need to slow down and take a bit more time, go ahead! We'll certainly understand, what with your schedule.
    I don't have anything really new or interesting to wear outside of these samples and the samples given by other basenoters so I just been wearing my collection to work, and then giving an arm to each scent I choose every other day. I still owe some samples to others but have been going slow at that plus thinking of doing a vintage Avon masculine pass to boot. I need a vacation to make all this happen XD
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Nautica Blue by Nautica

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I don't have anything really new or interesting to wear outside of these samples and the samples given by other basenoters so I just been wearing my collection to work, and then giving an arm to each scent I choose every other day. I still owe some samples to others but have been going slow at that plus thinking of doing a vintage Avon masculine pass to boot. I need a vacation to make all this happen XD
    I saw the pic of your Avons; what a beautiful stash! You could easily get carried away with the fun of making a sample pass; plenty to play with! I don't suppose your employer gives paid leave for perfume matters. Now that really would be my idea of "vacation"!
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    I saw the pic of your Avons; what a beautiful stash! You could easily get carried away with the fun of making a sample pass; plenty to play with! I don't suppose your employer gives paid leave for perfume matters. Now that really would be my idea of "vacation"!
    I'm back in Fraggle Rock with a quick assessment of Swing: It isn't a perfect Drakkar clone but I don't think it wants to be. I get that soapy fougère structure later copied by Duc de Vervins, Sung Homme, and Gres Cabaret Pour Homme, but there is a woodsier more incense-like base that reminds me a lot of the only non-imitation standalone masculine pillar Parfums de Coeuer ever made, called King (2008). It too was a Drakkar-ish soapy fougère that like Swing, had a "browner" base of woods and incense, but obviously more rife with WAC's due to its decade of manufacture (and is also discontinued).

I like Swing, but just as with Eau Frivole, I feel it flies a little too close to the sun for it's own good, whereas Rendez-Vous and Siecle both smelt as if they had huge inspirations, but covered their tracks better with a few standout notes that make them feel more like competition in their respective classes than outright "if you like X then you'll also like Y..." kind of a vibe. Saving Rothschild for last because it's the most obscure and I'll be flying totally blind with it like I was with Elvis.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Nautica Blue by Nautica