Code of Conduct

Thread: Liquor note

Basenotes Plus

Default Liquor note

Hello guys, this forum is a wealth of information and I thank you all before hand to take your time to help new guys like myself. I have been playing with different accords in order to get a boozy vibe to my fragrances. This got me thinking though, has any of you tried just to get scotch, gin or rum and incorporate it into your fragrance instead of trying to recreate it with different notes?
    Currently wearing: Orion by Tiziana Terenzi

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Liquor note

The issue with just using real liquor drinking alcohol, is that it is mostly water. And expensive.
    Water plays havoc when you dilute your concentrate into perfumers alcohol, and will cloud upi your final perfume if water content is too high.

So far, I've made my own Rum concoction for Zoologist Rhinoceros. (I reek of Rhinoceros presently, since I just bottled 2kg of concentrate for Victor.)
    Also made an Apricot brandy.

Have not yet tried Scotch or gin, but then I don't drink them, so I'm not so familiar with them.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Gin should not be that difficult.
    The home made version is done infusing juniper (ginepro) berries in vodka plus some coriander , orange peel, and little of some spice

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, will give it a try and let you know

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas.com View Post
    Hello guys, this forum is a wealth of information and I thank you all before hand to take your time to help new guys like myself. I have been playing with different accords in order to get a boozy vibe to my fragrances. This got me thinking though, has any of you tried just to get scotch, gin or rum and incorporate it into your fragrance instead of trying to recreate it with different notes?
    I have added whiskey to a room spray (just a small amount) and it turned out great! I used oakwood co2 to amplify the boozy note. My room sprays are already water based, so a bit of extra water doesn't matter.

Perfumes are different. I suggest testing a small amount to see how much will mix before your solution goes cloudy. If you want to add a significant amount of liquor to a fragrance, you might need a solubilizer to prevent clouding. PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil is always my go to, but you could try others.

Slumberhouse is an example of a brand with many boozy notes in his perfume. I have just scraped the surface, but havent found any really meningful

Whiskey lactone was a disappointment. Its... lactonic. I get a coconut, creamy, milky scent, which is not boozy at all. Rum ether is better, but short lived, and it easly drowns in other notes. So far I just notice that fruityness helps to create a boozy note. But the high quality boozy fruit materials like peach, plum, cranberries and so on are extremely expensive.

Of course a bunch of herbs that are used in liquor suits perfectly for perfume making. But if you want a gin-scent, its not as easy as just putting in juniper. It will smell of forest, and not gin.

/Pelle

Quote Originally Posted by Filipsson View Post
    Slumberhouse is an example of a brand with many boozy notes in his perfume. I have just scraped the surface, but havent found any really meningful
    But if you want a gin-scent, its not as easy as just putting in juniper. It will smell of forest, and not gin.
    /Pelle
    Don't agree that juniper per se is forest. Try just a simple blend of juniper (better co2) and lime and see where you can go.
    Pierpaolo

Try Davana, which is a strawberry liqueur smell. Also perfect would be raspberry leaf absolute. Damascones, especially beta and delta. Givescone, ethyl propionate, rum acteal, rum ether, trans ethyl 4 decenoate (musty cognac note), vanillin, allyl heptanoate (winey pineapple)

Agree with Nascent on Oakwood - it's (to my nose) the most specifically liquor-smelling component I've come across so far. That combined with a few other elements could carry it in a few different directions depending on your desired end result. For a gin-like smell, I'd definitely consider tossing in a very turpy-pine (pine needle, maybe?) in a low dose to push the more sinewy side of juniper. Combined with oakwood and a touch of dry lime and you could have an interesting gin smell there.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you guys

I feel like in terms of scotch, as a scotch drinker, getting that peat note would be relatively easy with diluted Cade oil. Maybe birch tar and the tiniest amount of palo santo.

Quote Originally Posted by pierpaolo72 View Post
    Don't agree that juniper per se is forest. Try just a simple blend of juniper (better co2) and lime and see where you can go.
    Pierpaolo
    Yes, you are right. However, when it comes to gin, I think it is mostly the other way around: Gin is perfumy, with its crisp notes of lime, angelica and cumin. Those ingredients make it very similar to classic colognes in scent

However, the kind of boozy notes that were asked for, I think, is somehting that gin-accords cant create. For a little more inspiration, here is a lovely overview of wiskey molecules:
    http://www.compoundchem.com/2015/03/31/whisky/

And here is one on vodka:
    http://www.compoundchem.com/2016/06/08/vodka/

/Pelle

Ingredients Supplier

Christine Daley
    Perfumer Supply House - Fragrance Ingredient Boutique
    Find me on Facebook

Text or What's App +1-203-917-0867

JOIN MY MAILING LIST AND DON'T MISS ANOTHER SALE!

Basenotes Plus

Thank you guys but I think we are going a little off topic since the original question was not how to recreate a boozy accord but rather, why not to just take scotch, rum or gyn and incorporate it as is into the fragrance. One comment was that this would not work due to the high content of water in the liquor. One though I had then was to heat up the scotch to evaporate the water but this was rapidly discarded since the alcohol will evaporate much faster than the water.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas.com View Post
    Thank you guys but I think we are going a little off topic since the original question was not how to recreate a boozy accord but rather, why not to just take scotch, rum or gyn and incorporate it as is into the fragrance. One comment was that this would not work due to the high content of water in the liquor. One though I had then was to heat up the scotch to evaporate the water but this was rapidly discarded since the alcohol will evaporate much faster than the water.
    Yes, it is harder to separate the alcohol from the water, without a vacuum operated Rotovap.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks Paul, an even if you're up to the task probably is not worth all the work compared to just recreating the accord yourself