Code of Conduct
o

Default More info on fake Tom Ford Italian Cypress bottles

Okay.. as you may or may not know I'm quite "into" these appraisals myself so I have my own thoughts on this.. but I would like to hear what other people say too and how common these are.

I saw a counterfeit Tom Ford Italian Cypress 50ml for sale here in the UK. It's clearly fake but it's less common release so I don't believe it would have been commonly counterfeited.. so I just want to ask how common are these fake Italian Cypress, are they a big thing in the USA? Also it's a 50ml.. in my experience the counterfeiters tend to produce 100mls (and commonly shaped like 50mls ). Also, what on Earth is up with that label? The font is fake.. it looks much "thinner" than any genuine Tom Ford Private Blend I've saw before? And akin to the font you see on all counterfeit bottles.. Also, that cap "neck" or base is bigger than the bottle where the two meet. The two aren't flush.

Okay.. here it is:
    Front

I'll also include a picture of what I expect a TF Italian Cypress (or indeed any Private Blend) label to look like:

Now.. as you can see. In those two "front" labels.. there's a clear difference in the text font. If it was Tuscan Leather or Tobacco Vanille 100ml I wouldn't even be discussing it.. however, due to the size and the fact it is a much less common release I want to know are these a big issue in other countries? I've not seen them here. I'm interested to hear is this a common counterfeit.. but my gut feeling is it's clearly counterfeit. It would just come as a surprise to see a fake 50ml Italian Cypress. Regardless, I'm obviously not buying it.. I'm just curious more than anything if fake 50mls and indeed Italian Cypress are common. I've never seen this before and I wonder could anyone share their experiences.

It clearly has to be counterfeit despite the small size and obscure release.. I've just not seen a fake in this size and this specific release here in the UK before.. plus everything I've pointed out that is wrong with it, it clearly just don't doesn't add up.
    Last edited by MonsieurChanel; 11th February 2018 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Grammatical errors
    Regarding Private Messages: Please note, I use my smartphone for the forums and my computer for responding to private messages. I strive to reply to all messages within a maximum of 24-48 hours. I respect each and every message/question and will address each one as best I can, but unfortunately I cannot respond to all immediately as I'm not at the computer all the time. Please be patient and I shall get back to you as soon as possible. Many thanks.

Default Re: Second opinion on Tom Ford Italian Cypress

It's definitely fake. Counterfeit 50ml Tom Fords are actually extremely, extremely common.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

It's so refreshing to know that there are Basenoters that can help right way discern whether or not a certain fragrance is genuine. If I were one to purchase outside of official or authorized channels (hardly ever do), I would have made many foolish purchases without first heeding their advice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    It's definitely fake. Counterfeit 50ml Tom Fords are actually extremely, extremely common.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming it. Off the bat, the font and the cap were big time red flags for me. Although I'm quite surprised to see a fake of Italian Cypress. That's the only reason I wanted to discuss it. Have you seen it counterfeited before? I didn't think it was a very popular release. Hell.. they even discontinued it!

Upon further research.. you're dang right! Fake 50mls are common over there! Not something I've seen often here..

Last edited by MonsieurChanel; 7th February 2018 at 11:08 PM.

super fake

I forgot to add, the picture in my follow up post is merely a demonstration of a terribly bad fake.. I didn't clarify it clearly isn't the same bottle. I was just showing the worst example I could find for reference. There query here wasn't really if the one in the first picture in post one was fake or not.. that pretty much always went without saying.. basically what I was asking is are 50ml Tom Ford's widely counterfeited.. and are obscure released widely counterfeited. I had not come across a counterfeited 50ml Tom Ford Private Blend here in the UK, nor had I ever came across a counterfeited Italian Cypress. Now, thanks to Naylor for the piece of information, I'm aware that they do indeed produce counterfeit 50mls and counterfeit Italian Cypress.. and they are common (at least on the US market) this came as a bit of a surprise hence the small size and the obscure release, although of course anything is possible. So it's good to know for help doing future appraisals.

I feel the best way the problem counterfeits can be erased is through education and shared knowledge. The more I can learn about the little details the more accurately I can make a verification. Of course, adding posts is well and good on most sections of the forums.. but if a post is interpreted wrong on Perfume Appraisals it can mean the difference between someone ending up with a counterfeit or not. I've seen far too many comments over the years indicating to potential buyers that the bottles may be genuine when they're clearly counterfeit. Personally, I'll never post on a thread in this forum unless I know exactly what I'm talking about and I'm at least 95%+ sure an item is either genuine or counterfeit. Otherwise I'll refrain from posting on the thread entirely. I just try my best to learn everything I can about counterfeits and how to tell them apart from authentic goods. Each house being different and counterfeits being changed/updated regularly it's obviously an ongoing process.

Anyways. I think this is pretty much wrapped up now. Once again, thanks for the info Naylor. Have a great Sunday folks and keep smelling good!
    Last edited by MonsieurChanel; 11th February 2018 at 12:43 PM.

Default Re: More info on fake Tom Ford Italian Cypress bottles

279/5000
    hi to all, I also found a tester of TF, I attach here the photos to ask for your opinion.
    I can only say that, according to my nose, the smell is really Oud Wood, it is identical to an old TF that I bought from famous Italian perfumery two years ago.
    mystery.??

IMG_7847.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

two imageIMG_7849.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

3 image
    IMG_7848.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

4photo.jpg
    Last edited by incursore61; 27th March 2018 at 03:54 PM.

Default Re: More info on fake Tom Ford Italian Cypress bottles

I'm kinda bummed out because I'm about 95% sure I got a fake TF IC sample... I'm a little bummed at the lost $10 but mainly bummed that I haven't gotten to sample the original scent. What I received has no detectable woodiness or really any note except a "cat fur" musk. It's actually not a bad musk, it's just nothing but musk. On paper, I get the tiniest hint of wood, but nada on skin. Zero projection, super longevity but who cares? If you want to smell yourself smelling like a well-kept cat (in the certainty that no one else can smell your inner cat-ness), then whatever this sample I received is the fragrance for you!

Anyway, I'm curious if this description fits anyone's experience who has genuine TF IC. Am I right that this is a fake?