Code of Conduct

Thread: Mango

Default Mango

Why is mango so infrequently represented in perfuming? I don't mean that syrupy grocery store over-ripe whallop of a scent. I have in my memory paying a kid outside of Port-au-Prince to climb this huge tree and toss mangoes down to me. They smelled like the fuzz of a ripe peach with a light, fleeting, lemony citrus and something like plumeria. Not like aging plumeria flowers, but when you get a blossom on its first day. It's so vivid in my mind and I've been completely unable to make anything come close.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Default Re: Mango

It sounds like you are speaking of the smell of green mango. I get the same smell on my land in Brazil.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Here in my city there are lots of mango trees, and I remember the scent since I was child.

In my opinion, most commercial Mango fragrances does not look like the smell of the fruit I know. It's more grapefruit citrus than sweet mango scent.

I live in brazil, and by coincidence my city is known as "Mango City"

I'm so happy to find that someone else knows the scent I am remembering. If I can ever capture anything close to it in a bottle, I'll post it on here.