Code of Conduct

Default QUEST: Turin/Sanchez top 100 (ish!) - Week 18 : Black (Bulgari) and Dzing! (L'Artisan Parfumeur)

Week 18

Black (Bulgari) and Dzing! (L'Artisan Parfumeur)

Everyone is welcome to test, discuss, reminisce, and generally wax lyrical (or not!).

This is the eighteenth week of a quest to test and discuss the top 100 (more or less) perfumes in The LIttle Book of Perfumes (Turin/Sanchez). There's a lot more information about the quest, lists of the perfumes, and an index to the weeks and perfumes we're covering on the stickied Week 1 thread.

QUEST: Turin/Sanchez top 100 (ish!) - Index and Week 1 (Shalimar and Opium)

Default Re: QUEST: Turin/Sanchez top 100 (ish!) - Week 18 : Black (Bulgari) and Dzing! (L'Artisan Parfumeur)

Black is famous for its rubber note, which is very clear and a lot of fun. But the note is accompanied by a floral oriental background that's quite plush. Gorgeous. This is one of the few examples of a mainstream going niche. And apparently with some initial success. Nowadays, though, Black is hard to find. At some point I only saw it at discounters, and now who knows.

Dzing! instead has a musky-dirty animalic note. I've hear various references to circus, elephants, dirty floor shavings. It is indeed very nicely dirty, at least up top. It eventually turns into a smooth woody perfume. Probably my favorite from l'artisan line.

cacio

Default Re: QUEST: Turin/Sanchez top 100 (ish!) - Week 18 : Black (Bulgari) and Dzing! (L'Artisan Parfumeur)

It took me a long time to notice the famous rubber note in Black.
    I forgot if I liked better Dzing ou Dzongkha.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Dzing is also one of my favorite L'Artisans.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Black

This was a blind buy some years back - I'd read about it so much and wanted to try it. I was very pleasantly surprised that it has something in common with Je Reviens - something about the powdery sharpness that cuts the vanilla sweetness. I absolutely love the first few minutes and tend to respray throughout the day. The drydown is quite soft - from my reading I think it was stronger in the past. But it's still very good.

Black from a decant from Ebenas: I sneaked a few sprays of this previously, but saved the bulk of my sample for this week. Today, spraying it liberally for the first time, I get some of the notes this scent is famous for: smokey black tea and rubber over a powdery vanilla. It is quite soft though, and I expected it to be weirder; the rubber is not quite burning and the tea impression is fleeting. I guess we have Patchouli 24 for that now, but this is far more pleasant, and I would love to smell the version before reformulation. Like Ebenas I love the opening and keep wanting to spray on more.

Dzing!

Sadly this never made an appearance at the TKMaxx bonanza of heavily discounted L'Artisans. It's one I would consider paying full price for. It goes on sharply animalic (somewhat fecal) on me with something of the Disprin-like oddly compelling note that I love in old Je Reviens and in Black. It dries down to a leathery vanilla. It has a fantastic trick of feeling very light and buoyant - maybe I've been primed by the circus motif but it brings to mind a kind of fenced outdoors - like a farmyard, hay and animals, with leather and that chemical fizz of Disprin/Alka-Seltzer/Je Reviens/Black, etc.

What is that note - I know there's salicylates in Je Reviens, and in aspirin, and the feel of this note I love in Dzing and the others is something like the faint chemical bitterness of soluble aspirin (which I love!)

Dzing! is often said to be inspired by the circus, including the animals and the sweet treats served on the site. Call me suggestible, but I do get that. I don't get anything overly animalic though, but the leather and the sweetness do come through quite clearly. At first, the sweetness is more hay like, as if the circus animals have just gotten their cages cleaned. It evolves into more edible territory later, although I luckily never noticed the cotton candy that is listed in the notes: it was more of a caramel to me. During the dry down the leather becomes more powdery; a suede rather than a straight up leather. Very interesting!

I haven't put these on yet this week (I have until tomorrow, right? ), but I remember Dzing as being distinctly similar to L'Ete en Douce, with the same sweet cardboard note.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

You have all the time you need, Madame!

I don't know about Dzing! and L'Eté en Douce. For me Dzing! is more along the lines of a leathery animalic but very buoyant and quite sharp. There is a hay feel but it seems to be more like part of a farmyard/stables smell. I can't really get on with L'Eté as it has a sweet note that is also in L'Eau de L'Artisan - it's like those gel like rubbers (erasers) that were somehow sweet. The hay there is definitely still on the meadow!

I'm really interested to see what you think - I'm getting very fond of Dzing!

Week 19 is up!

Week 19: Lolita Lempicka and L'Heure Bleue (Guerlain)

And a reminder that the previous weeks are easily reached - they're all linked on the first post of the stickied Index/Week 1 thread.

QUEST: Turin/Sanchez top 100 (ish!) - Index and Week 1 (Shalimar and Opium)
    Last edited by Ebenas; 19th February 2018 at 12:29 AM.

Dzing!

A weird one indeed!

Top Notes:

-The same sweet, dewy linden topnotes as I know from L'Ete en Douce: moist blooms with an overly sweet nectar that nearly sickens
    -A woody/spicy something, perhaps a cinnymal, arising quickly to take the edge off the honeyed flowers

Heart Notes:
    -wet cardboard
    -furry (non-shedding) dog wet with the garden hose, and a bit of that odd pet store shampoo

Base Notes:
    -sawn wood
    -furry hides hanging in a closet
    -a cedar hope chest

It's weirdness comes from its blending of sweet with earthy; of life with death. The dog fur is alive, but the hides are cured. The flowers are alive; but the tree pulp in the form of disintegrating cardboard is long dead.

Pleasant smelling, yet very odd. I do not think that this would read to the folks in the elevator as perfume. They may instead assume me to be a pet-owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post
    You have all the time you need, Madame!

I don't know about Dzing! and L'Eté en Douce. For me Dzing! is more along the lines of a leathery animalic but very buoyant and quite sharp. There is a hay feel but it seems to be more like part of a farmyard/stables smell. I can't really get on with L'Eté as it has a sweet note that is also in L'Eau de L'Artisan - it's like those gel like rubbers (erasers) that were somehow sweet. The hay there is definitely still on the meadow!

I'm really interested to see what you think - I'm getting very fond of Dzing!
    Yes, maybe it's a hay note in both, but I really think it's linden in both! Maybe hay, too, but from what I remember, hay smells more green, except in a bale, where it's more dry. Regardless, I think L'Ete en Douce and Dzing! are like No. 5 and No. 22: having a great many of the same notes, but in vastly different proportions, giving them very different characters. I can certainly tell they are of the same house, though.
    Last edited by Kotori; 18th February 2018 at 07:16 PM.

The power of bleu

I love Dzing! My friend, Concord (who used to post on BN many years ago and I miss a lot) described it as "hot, sugared leather." I get that. It is supposed to be inspired by the circus. I get that too. It's leather, animal, hay, hot caramel/burnt sugar in a very interesting progression. Some say it is weird ... I say unique and challenging. But there are days when that is exactly what I want.

From the L'Artisan site: "A scent to evoke the magic of the circus, through a fusion of soft and fierce notes: leather, fur, wood, talc, iris, and caramel."
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: Andy Warhol by Bond No. 9

Black

I had been avoiding it. It was the fragrance I'd bought for a romantic interest, shall we say, years ago. It hadn't gone well. At all. I think I still have nightmares sometimes.

So I hadn't been expecting for it to first of all smell so instantly familiar... as if I had just smelled it yesterday! Lord, It's been over 15 years! But I also wasn't expecting for it to smell so friendly. I wore it all day without a thought.

Skin-friendly, soft, sweet, and earthy with a dose of rubber and an anisic quality that was hauntingly familiar. If I've smelled it recently, I never did remember where.

You're brave for retrying it, I'm glad it wasn't a bad experience this time! Have you ever been able to "attach" a fragrance that carried bad memories to new experiences? I suppose it's possible...