Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is the most beautiful smelling flower or perfume material you have ever smelled?

I used live in Tokyo, and there the sweet osmanthus bush grows.
    Beautiful little orange flowers that smell of apricot, peach and vanilla.
    Sweet osmanthus is the most beautiful scent I`ve experienced.

A close second for all time best smell is the scent of matsutake mushrooms in lime miso soup.

How about you?

Default Re: What is the most beautiful smelling flower or perfume material you have ever smelled?

osmanthus is very nice, sometimes I smell them when I go to temple/pagoda with family
    besides, I really enjoy rose abs, tuberose, vetiver root, immortelle abs smells like wine (but its too ez to overdose it), cedar atlas heart EO from perfumersupplyhouse

Default Re: What is the most beautiful smelling flower or perfume material you have ever smelled?

Do you live in Vietnam?
    I suppose you have access to agar wood?

Hi mattmeleg,

Well, this might sounds classic but to me it is hard to find anything better than an oil of rose. I also really enjoy rose absolute, mimosa, violet, tonka bean, jasmin, vanilla, oranger flower.. These ingredients are magic.

I love the smell of jasmine bushes. It's so incredibly intoxicating. We don't get those here in the UK really, but whenever I see some abroad I can't help myself and need to head over for a sniff.

I also like tiare / tahitian gardenia scented monoï oils. They're incredibly sweet and heady. Hei Poa and NARS do some wicked ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I love the smell of jasmine bushes. It's so incredibly intoxicating. We don't get those here in the UK really, but whenever I see some abroad I can't help myself and need to head over for a sniff....
    Oh! but we do.
    Both grandiflorum and officinale grow very well here in the UK and last all Summer long.

Basenotes Junkie Miss Hesta Jones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Oh! but we do.
    Both grandiflorum and officinale grow very well here in the UK and last all Summer long.
    Duly noted!

Jasmine and heliotrope are my two favourite floral notes (this week). I say heliotrope, but I've never smelt the actual flower, so I suppose I mean whatever the synthetic equivalent is - I gather heliotropin is often used. I love Guerlain's heliotrope and also the white version used in L'Eau d'Hiver.
    But then there's iris - not necessarily what one might call a beautiful scent, but used to such great effect.

My standard fave in nature is bluebells and wild garlic after the rain in a very particular corner of the Pennines.
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso

Oh! but we do.
    I have J. officinale outside my bedroom window here in Paris. I swear it is the most indolic jasmine I've ever smelled (rather off-putting - actually borderline unpleasant). I think I prefer the scent of Trachelospermum jasminoides on the whole.

Wisteria is hardly ever mentioned in the field of perfumery but those tumbling blossom are wonderful. The scent is very evocative for personal reasons.

Basenotes Plus

Adore linden, honeysuckle and lilac in nature - difficult to capture at least the first two in perfume. Like colour, I suppose: the green of new beech leaves in the sun is so beautiful but try and reproduce it and it's just yellowy-green, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    I have J. officinale outside my bedroom window here in Paris. I swear it is the most indolic jasmine I've ever smelled (rather off-putting - actually borderline unpleasant)....
    I agree it can be overwhelming in the still heat of the city.
    Reminds me of the time I wore too much of Lutens' A la Nuit to the theatre on a very hot and stuffy Summer's evening. Gave me a terrible headache and I haven't been able to wear it since.

I love styrene like smell flowers: jasmine, lilac, narcissus, muguet, daylilies, philadelphus.

Gardenia is the most beautiful thing I've smelled in person. Nothing has replicated it in perfume as of yet. Some have come close.

Oh! but we do.
    I haven't come across any here at all sadly, except in botanical gardens

Quote Originally Posted by mattmeleg View Post
    Do you live in Vietnam?
    I suppose you have access to agar wood?
    yes I'm living in Vietnam, and I've seen some agarwood too (but haven't burn any), they add them to incense too but real thing is very expensive
    I tried agarwood oil from Eden botanicals too, its rich, animalic, feel like vetiver + a little oakmoss
    Vietnamese people even call vetiver "cỏ trầm" or "trầm đất", it means "oud-grass" or "oud from earth"

Cedrat, Bergamot or Yuzu
    Currently wearing: 1916 by Myrurgia

Honeysuckle!! With Lindenblossom a close second...

Quote Originally Posted by Faust2009 View Post
    Cedrat, Bergamot or Yuzu
    Fresh bergamot fruit smells amazing. Also - since we're talking citruses - I love the musky scent of lime peel.

The large honeysuckle growing at my parents country side home in the Stockholm archipelago was absolutely intoxicating in the evenings. I always sat on the porch watching the sun set and indulging in the scent. Apart from that the white Champaca and jasmine I buy every week for the car (good luck) smells wonderful. The Champaca is much stronger but is nicely complimented by the Jasmine.

Perfume materials will have to be Indian or Burmese oud that both have very deep, nuanced scents.

Really appreciating the smell of flowers, the older I get. Right now I'm loving Ylang Ylang. It's so dirty and raw. So earthy. I find it really grounding.

I have to agree with you on the Osmanthus and the matsutake mushrooms, I was preparing some 2 days ago, and that earthy deep intoxicating smell, was beautiful. All Heliotropin, mimosa and Neroli.... and tolu balsam... and oak moss, and vanillin, ambrettex... too many good ones I wouldn't be able to settle with one.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmeleg View Post
    I used live in Tokyo, and there the sweet osmanthus bush grows.
    Beautiful little orange flowers that smell of apricot, peach and vanilla.
    Sweet osmanthus is the most beautiful scent I`ve experienced.

A close second for all time best smell is the scent of matsutake mushrooms in lime miso soup.

How about you?
    I'm agree.
    Near my home, in October, two bushes bloom of Osmanthus Fragrans (subspecies "Aquifolium",i think, but i dont understand classification). A type with little white flowers and green leaf with jagged edge and clear . Exactly, this:
    https://www.giardinaggio.org/giardin...aquifolium.asp

Peach/apricot,sweet,green.
    A joy for the nose, only a joy....
    In many garden's forum on web, people said Honeysuckle, Sweet Pea,Viburnium,etc, but i think Osmanthus are clearly better.

(ps: I tried to rebuild it with an accord, I consulted many GC,etc,but.....nature is nature )
    Last edited by Geco; 16th February 2018 at 04:38 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Geco View Post
    (ps: I tried to rebuild it with an accord, I consulted many GC,etc,but.....nature is nature )
    It took me quite awhile to build a nature headspace identical Osmanthus fresh flower accord. And needed some unique materials purchased.
    That accord will be for sale soon at PSH.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Matsutake is absolutely my favourite of all "earth forest scents,"...
    They smell NOTHING like mushrooms.

GOOD Matsutake from Japan is spicier than black pepper, deeper and more woody than oak moss,
    as fruity as overly ripe apricots and bananas, and more complex than agar wood. It`s dark and cool,
    yet at the same time spicy, floral and very citrus lime/konifer smelling.

IMHO only a great patchouli or agar wood can compare with decent matsutake.

I hope someone will properly recreate matsutake top notes...
    *I have "matsutake alcohol" on my desk, it`s nothing like real matsutake at all.

Love Wisteria! YES!

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    It took me quite awhile to build a nature headspace identical Osmanthus fresh flower accord. And needed some unique materials purchased.
    That accord will be for sale soon at PSH.
    Good Paul!

Helitrope and reseda are two of my favourites. The latter smells like wild strawberries and violets. And I love to crush coriander seeds between my hands and inhale the peppery citrus smell.
    Of raw materials orris is out of this world. I have only one oud and it was strange, but wonderful.
    Just about any musk sends my mind in orbit.

My father was a landscaper, so I grew up with a lot of plants. I remember the huge rows of enormous peonies he grew. They have such a delicate smell, but it was particularly beautiful. Magnolia blossoms in April, and the scent of lilacs. Among perfume materials, I'm stunned by things that will capture me for a long while, like Hay Absolute, Champaca flower, Jonquil, and Narcissus. I'm also finding I have a serious love affair with Cedarwood; I'm gathering up a collection of all the variations from around the world and studying their different beautiful differences. It's a fascinating journey.

The trifecta for me has to be Lavender, Honeysuckle, and Jasmine. Hard to beat these three IMO.

Perhaps daphne, though it's a long time since I met any. I used to live in a cooler climate.