Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Best Vintage Fragrances UNDER $100

I'm searching for my next full bottle purchase. My personal rule is that I refuse to pay more than $100 (shipped) for a bottle. There are some great fragrances that I will never own for this reason....I know, I know. There is no need to be concerned about what types of fragrances I enjoy.

I think this is the easiest way to get a good list. I have a few but please make suggestions. Most of the suggestions here have been winners. epapsiou and others have been very helpful but I need more suggestions.

Thanks folks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Best Vintage Fragrances UNDER $100

Three I enjoy that can be found for under $100 on Ebay.

R de Revillon
    O Pour Homme
    Nemo
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

With patience, I have been able to find Joy, My Sin, Arpege, Diorissimo, Shocking, and others for less than $100.
    But I assume you want for men. More difficult here. I think I found Sagamore and Cravache (both citrus chypres).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

R de Revillon
    O Pour Homme
    Nemo
    Thanks! I read good stuff about all three.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    With patience, I have been able to find Joy, My Sin, Arpege, Diorissimo, Shocking, and others for less than $100.
    But I assume you want for men. More difficult here. I think I found Sagamore and Cravache (both citrus chypres).

cacio
    Yes, for men. Funny...I did own Cravache and I enjoyed it but got a wild hair and sold it off .
    Sagamore sounds interesting.

Thanks.

Always be smelling

Other than a few like BelAmi, Djedi, PPH all are under $100. With vintages I don't think $100 is a constraint that filters much especially for masculine fragrances. What you want is just a list of good vintage fragrance.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Other than a few like BelAmi, Djedi, PPH all are under $100. With vintages I don't think $100 is a constraint that filters much especially for masculine fragrances. What you want is just a list of good vintage fragrance.
    There has been a decent amount of gouging as of late though, so many are fast being regularly seen at or above $100.
    Maybe if everyone just sat on their hands the eBay sharks would be forced to reduce price.
    oh look, I have a signature

Well, you've basically given me that and I have most on the list. I'm just checking to see if I might be missing a few. I've already gotten some good recommendations. You can't have them all....or maybe you do . Or at least tried them all.

The $100 thing is just personal maybe not realistic. If I don't set a limit, I'll chase everything you all will mention that smells good. For instance, some of the Chanel, Guerlain, Hermes and others I will never own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

R de Revillon
    O Pour Homme
    Nemo
    Nemo seems easy to acquire. O Pour Homme might be a challenge. R de Revillon may not be to hard to find but I'm not sure what to look for.....any information? Thank you.

Basenotes Plus

Didn't see Dali Pour Homme in your wardrobe. That's a great one that can be found under $100 easily. Also some Avon like Excalibur, Oland, and Island Lime. I'd have to look back through your wardrobe but for now, Dali PH is one I recommend jumping on.

Edit: Also Azarro Acteur is a really really nice rose (dark rose) that's easy to overlook. Now I'll go look through your wardrobe.

Edit 2: After a quick look, I'll also recommend Krizia Moods, Boss Spirit and Jacques Fath Pour L'Homme (great amber in drydown). This could really go on and on. Lol
    Last edited by Diddy; 15th February 2018 at 02:49 AM.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Didn't see Dali Pour Homme in your wardrobe. That's a great one that can be found under $100 easily. Also some Avon like Excalibur, Oland, and Island Lime. I'd have to look back through your wardrobe but for now, Dali PH is one I recommend jumping on.

Edit: Also Azarro Acteur is a really really nice rose (dark rose) that's easy to overlook. Now I'll go look through your wardrobe.

Edit 2: After a quick look, I'll also recommend Krizia Moods, Boss Spirit and Jacques Fath Pour L'Homme (great amber in drydown). This could really go on and on. Lol
    Great stuff. I'm taking notes...trust me. This is exactly what I needed. I try to go off of checking what everyone else is buying or wearing. I know there are vintage fragrances that don't get work frequently for fear of emptying that bottle . So.....you have just added a few more to my hunting list. You actually reminded me of Krizia Moods. I was watching that one a few months ago but got side tracked.

What I have done in the past is start at the beginning of the Vintage Scent of the day post and look at all the entries and see if there is anything that piques my interests. That gave me quite a bit of ideas of what I'd like to sample. Then I started purchasing mini's to see what I like or not. Just recently I acquired a fragrance that I had many years ago and love it called Royal Copenhagen by swank. Its a powdery fragrance but I love it. I was able to find a 4 oz Vintage bottle for 40$. Its an after shave but quite strong. Luckily my tastes are quite pedestrian and low brow for the most part so I can get away somewhat cheaply. Vintage Caswell-Massey Jockey Club cologne water and Greenbriar Cologne water would also be a recommendation I would make.
    Best of luck on your search Sir
    Rick
    " I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Please check out my sales thread. I'm downsizing my wardrobe http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...or-Sale-Thread
    Currently wearing: Davidoff by Davidoff

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    Great stuff. I'm taking notes...trust me. This is exactly what I needed. I try to go off of checking what everyone else is buying or wearing. I know there are vintage fragrances that don't get work frequently for fear of emptying that bottle . So.....you have just added a few more to my hunting list. You actually reminded me of Krizia Moods. I was watching that one a few months ago but got side tracked.
    I forgot to mention... Dali PH's credit should be given to Epapsiou!!! Lmao. This guy, I tell ya. So Dali was one I had looked at off and on for a long time, and just never pulled the trigger on. Other stuff just seemed to take priority. But in a deal with Ole Epapsiou, he graciously sent me a sample. Instantly I kicked myself for realizing I had no reason to have procrastinated on this one. So, Thank You again Epap!

BTW, speaking of Krizia Moods... That reminds me that Krizia Uomo is a good one as well. If you can find a vintage priced well or at least sample, I think it would be a nice addition.

I forgot to mention... Dali PH's credit should be given to Epapsiou!!! Lmao. This guy, I tell ya. So Dali was one I had looked at off and on for a long time, and just never pulled the trigger on. Other stuff just seemed to take priority. But in a deal with Ole Epapsiou, he graciously sent me a sample. Instantly I kicked myself for realizing I had no reason to have procrastinated on this one. So, Thank You again Epap!

BTW, speaking of Krizia Moods... That reminds me that Krizia Uomo is a good one as well. If you can find a vintage priced well or at least sample, I think it would be a nice addition.
    Haha! I credit most of my vintage collection to epapsiou's recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO View Post
    What I have done in the past is start at the beginning of the Vintage Scent of the day post and look at all the entries and see if there is anything that piques my interests. That gave me quite a bit of ideas of what I'd like to sample. Then I started purchasing mini's to see what I like or not. Just recently I acquired a fragrance that I had many years ago and love it called Royal Copenhagen by swank. Its a powdery fragrance but I love it. I was able to find a 4 oz Vintage bottle for 40$. Its an after shave but quite strong. Luckily my tastes are quite pedestrian and low brow for the most part so I can get away somewhat cheaply. Vintage Caswell-Massey Jockey Club cologne water and Greenbriar Cologne water would also be a recommendation I would make.
    Rick
    I've also done this and a lot of the vintage fragrances I own now are a result of it. But I'm sure some days get skipped and some tend to wear the same fragrances in rotation for a while or during certain seasons.

I'm actually compiling a nice little list from the recommendations I've received so far.

Thanks!

Always be smelling

Sorry folks for draining your retirement funds .
    Here are a few more suggestions.

• Cabaret Gres Homme - Diddy pointed me to this one. This is fragrance history in a bottle
    • Homme Gres
    • RG Open
    • RG L'homme
    • RG Santal(Isoesuperman's suggestion)
    • RG Vetyver
    • Capucci PH
    • Ungaro 2
    • Lacoste Land
    • Lacoste Eau De Sport Vivifiante
    • Burberry for Men (Blue Knight version)
    • Dunhill original Cologne (not EDT)
    • Tristano Onofri (SexySmells pointed me to this one)
    • Jaguar for Men - wooden cap made in Switzerland (Bigsly told me about this one)
    • Cacherel PH. Actually scratch that as I am looking for one and don't want more competition . I do have a mini from Docpsycho. Great stuff but you need to like nutmeg-a lot.

Must haves

• Moschino PH
    • Jacomo de Jacomo -paris below EDT
    • Dunhill Edition
    • R de Capucci
    • Ungaro 1
    • Rive Gauche PH - right kind of tin can

I was going to suggest Aramis - it seems relatively easy to find older bottles of this. Makes you wonder how many of them they produced!

RG Open
    RG L'homme
    I agree with Open in that it is dirt cheap and still easy to find. Not so sure about L'Homme though. There are many similar things available and it does seem to be getting expensive these days.

Cacherel PH. Actually scratch that as I am looking for one and don't want more competition . I do have a mini from Docpsycho. Great stuff but you need to like nutmeg-a lot.
    Seen as you have a vintage mini, how would you say it compares to the current stuff out there? I have a current bottle and I'm more than happy with it. One of the few scents that I wear each and every week, especially in the freezing cold weather that we have been getting here.

Rive Gauche PH - right kind of tin can
    Agree with this one too.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Seen as you have a vintage mini, how would you say it compares to the current stuff out there? I have a current bottle and I'm more than happy with it. One of the few scents that I wear each and every week, especially in the freezing cold weather that we have been getting here.
    The current version is not bad. I think current is more wearable. A bit thinner but than vintage could use some thinning
    Nutmeg is more restrained in current version.
    This is one where vintage is not needed. But then I think the same for Tsar , Fahrenheit and Egoiste so keep that in mind before giving any credence to my views

The current version is not bad. I think current is more wearable. A bit thinner but than vintage could use some thinning
    Nutmeg is more restrained in current version.
    This is one where vintage is not needed. But then I think the same for Tsar , Fahrenheit and Egoiste so keep that in mind before giving any credence to my views
    That’s really helpful - thanks. I get a very strong nutmeg note from this. And I’m with you on the Egoiste point. I don’t own or wear Tsar and Fahrenheit to be able to have a view on those.

Sorry folks for draining your retirement funds .
    Here are a few more suggestions.

• Cabaret Gres Homme - Diddy pointed me to this one. This is fragrance history in a bottle
    • Homme Gres
    • RG Open
    • RG L'homme
    • RG Santal(Isoesuperman's suggestion)
    • RG Vetyver
    • Capucci PH
    • Ungaro 2
    • Lacoste Land
    • Lacoste Eau De Sport Vivifiante
    • Burberry for Men (Blue Knight version)
    • Dunhill original Cologne (not EDT)
    • Tristano Onofri (SexySmells pointed me to this one)
    • Jaguar for Men - wooden cap made in Switzerland (Bigsly told me about this one)
    • Cacherel PH. Actually scratch that as I am looking for one and don't want more competition . I do have a mini from Docpsycho. Great stuff but you need to like nutmeg-a lot.

Must haves

• Moschino PH
    • Jacomo de Jacomo -paris below EDT
    • Dunhill Edition
    • R de Capucci
    • Ungaro 1
    • Rive Gauche PH - right kind of tin can
    Good stuff pap! I'm diggin the R&G suggestions. I did own Open but sold it. I lliked it so the others from this house should be interesting. I'll look into those.

Homme de Gres

Dunhill Edition

Moschino PH

R de Capucci

Jacomo de Jacomo

BURBERRY'S (Blue Knight)

wearing dad's aftershave™

Clarification questions:

What makes a YSL Rive Gauche tin can "right"? I didn't know there were differences.

How does current RG Open fare in comparison to vintage? (I enjoy my current.) Got any photos for reference?

What identifies vintage Edition; and what constitutes 'pre-reform'? (Mine is from 2005-6-ish.)

I can't be the only one with these open questions. I'm sure I'll have more.

TIA,
    /Acey

Always be smelling

Edition- Scannon Made in France or Holland. Here is a link
    Rive Gauche - Don't remember now but something about address on the tin can. Freewheeling made a thread about it I think a year or 2 ago.
    Open- Short ingredient list. I tried current briefly and I found vintage to be better than current . More depth and moss
    Last edited by epapsiou; 15th February 2018 at 04:46 PM.

Dependent

Guerlain Heritage - you can still buy a vintage bottle for less than $100 if you are a little patient. I see it on 'that auction site' often sold by people who have no idea what the difference is between vintage and current and they list it for $50-60 buy-now price. You have to pay attention to their photos, as their descriptions do not help in the search. If you see one with a gold cap and Guerlain logo on the bottle - it's vintage. Silver cap and no logo = newer release. And the bottles with wood caps - totally not vintage - these are the latest repackaging versions.

I also wanted to say thanks to epapsiou - our resident vintage guy - he steered me to a number of vintage bottles I ended up buying or I'm in the process of searching for. Most well under $100, a few over, and all so far have been really good, or interesting (and solid, wearable) historical releases I would have not otherwise purchased without his nudge. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Guerlain Heritage - you can still buy a vintage bottle for less than $100 if you are a little patient. I see it on 'that auction site' often sold by people who have no idea what the difference is between vintage and current and they list it for $50-60 buy-now price. You have to pay attention to their photos, as their descriptions do not help in the search. If you see one with a gold cap and Guerlain logo on the bottle - it's vintage. Silver cap and no logo = newer release. And the bottles with wood caps - totally not vintage - these are the latest repackaging versions.

I also wanted to say thanks to epapsiou - our resident vintage guy - he steered me to a number of vintage bottles I ended up buying or I'm in the process of searching for. Most well under $100, a few over, and all so far have been really good, or interesting (and solid, wearable) historical releases I would have not otherwise purchased without his nudge. Thanks!
    great choice! I actually own two bottles of the top cap EDT. Wonderful fragrance! Thanks remik.

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    Clarification questions:

What makes a YSL Rive Gauche tin can "right"? I didn't know there were differences.

How does current RG Open fare in comparison to vintage? (I enjoy my current.) Got any photos for reference?

What identifies vintage Edition; and what constitutes 'pre-reform'? (Mine is from 2005-6-ish.)

I can't be the only one with these open questions. I'm sure I'll have more.

TIA,
    /Acey
    One point that was given to me about Dunhill Edition is to look for the high dotted "i" on the packaging and bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Well said. I actually owe most of my vintage direction to Epapsiou and Checkmate. Not only are both of those guys knowledgeable but also have shown genuine care with finding out my tastes and directing me accordingly. Not to mention, also introducing me to scents they think I would like (and being correct) in genres I don't normally dip my toe in. A very big THANK YOU to them both!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

There are no vintage Avons over $100 except for the Derek Jeter line (cuz baseball fans yay) and Coastline (cuz it was a popular AdG clone that was short-lived in the catalogs)

So Avon is easy pickin' for an explorer on limited funds. The only problem is finding normal style bottles if you're going back further than the 80's

Basenotes Plus

So, Thank You again Epap!
    Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    Haha! I credit most of my vintage collection to epapsiou's recommendations.
    I also wanted to say thanks to epapsiou
    I actually owe most of my vintage direction to Epapsiou and Checkmate.

So much Papsi love up in here! The Photobomber Batter is going to need a shot of pre-reformulation insulin.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    So much Papsi love up in here! The Photobomber Batter is going to need a shot of pre-reformulation insulin.
    Make mine a Cherry Papsi please.

Royal Copenhagen by Swank sounds interesting. I'm not a huge fan of really powdery fragrances but I love Zizaine de Fragonard because the sandalwood comes out so nice in the base. I'll have to check on that one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO View Post
    Rick

Dependent