Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Default Current Guerlain Vetiver?

I have not tried this yet, but am considering a blind buy.

What I would like to know is how the current edition is? More specifically how it performs, and how it stacks up against the previous editions?

I do have a good understanding of how far back it actually goes, and the extensive history of this classic without actually knowing how it smells

Any information on how this newest one performs and the also any intel on how any of the previous editions smelled and compare to one being sold today would be appreciated.

The further you can go back the bigger your prize.
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Default Re: Current Guerlain Vetiver?

Guerlain Vetiver, the current version is excellent and the safest blind buy you can make. Scented Monkey or Fragrancenet have coupons where a 100ml bottle is 40.00-45.00 shipped. I think older versions have had a bit more depth but this is a staple fragrance in my wardrobe and will continue to be. Good for any occasion.

I have a 2013 bottle and it performs excellent on my skin ( 8 plus hours). One of the best Vetiver scents on the market.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I've tried the latest one in the new bottle and think it a worthy sibling of its predecessors.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It's a safe one
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Junkie

I've really been wondering about this same thing. I've got Guerlain vetiver or Vetiver Extreme on the mind very heavy for a blind buy and have for a long time. I'm just worried that they may be too simmilar to Tom Ford Gray Vetiver EDPn which I did not care for cause it smelled like plastic to me, or Encre Noir Sportn which I found to take the place of the Tom Ford. I love encre noir sport and will allways have it handy. Is it in any way simmilar to the Guerlain vetiver or Vetiver Extreme? Not trying to hyjack your thread, but maby my question can add insight for yours! Lol.

Try Vétiver by Fragonard: I own them both but I prefer the Fragonard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason125 View Post
    I've really been wondering about this same thing. I've got Guerlain vetiver or Vetiver Extreme on the mind very heavy for a blind buy and have for a long time. I'm just worried that they may be too simmilar to Tom Ford Gray Vetiver EDPn which I did not care for cause it smelled like plastic to me, or Encre Noir Sportn which I found to take the place of the Tom Ford. I love encre noir sport and will allways have it handy. Is it in any way simmilar to the Guerlain vetiver or Vetiver Extreme? Not trying to hyjack your thread, but maby my question can add insight for yours! Lol.
    Vetiver is miles better than the extreme IMO. Vetiver is an all time classic, nothing plastic about it.

Current (2016) Guerlain reformulations are good with their proprietary oakmoss substitute.

Powdery, quite understated and with moderate projection- maybe a bit paradoxical for the reputation of Guerlain as to being a rather classic and powerhouse perfumer, this could be one of the safest and most-office friendly vetivers still widely available nowadays-fairly low risk and quite fit for a possible blind buy

Basenotes Member

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I also hope it does not smell like Grey Vetiver which I have tried and don't like. Anyone that can answer this side question I would appreciate it.

Thanks again everyone.

I don't find either this or other vetiver fragrances as safe blind buys. I think it is an advantage here f you are a fan of old school fragrances, otherwise you might reconsider.

I remember a thread about a year ago with a guy who blindbought this. He couldn't stand it and it was hilarious to read
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by The Lorax View Post
    I also hope it does not smell like Grey Vetiver which I have tried and don't like. Anyone that can answer this side question I would appreciate it.
    They both share the main note Vétiver, so you might not like any vétiver scent...you'd better sample first!

There's no such thing as a safe blind buy. Always sample first!

This one is very old school. You have been warned.

I have a vintage bottle that was my father's from the 80's or 90's, and a bottle I purchased in 2012. I sparingly use the vintage as there's maybe only 5M left. Vintage is slightly stronger, but beyond that I'm hard pressed to tell any difference.
    Last edited by clamnole; 23rd February 2018 at 12:13 PM.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

The Guerlain does not have that distinct annoying element that Grey Vetiver EDP has. What you are interpreting as a plasticky effect on my skin has an unpleasant sourness that ruins the fragrance. I'm pretty sure I'm referring to the same note that bothers you, and no, Guerlain's doesn't have it.

FWIW my bottle of Guerlain Vetiver is the silver cap version, which is one version ago before they went to the current uniform style wood cap bottles. No complaints, a reference vetiver, smells and performs great, among my favorites in my collection.
    Currently wearing: Furyo by Jacques Bogart

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    Vetiver is miles better than the extreme IMO. Vetiver is an all time classic, nothing plastic about it.
    Agreed. I didn't like Vetiver extreme at all.

To the OP: I like the current Vetiver better than the vintage versions. It's brighter, a bolder citrus opening and less tobacco in the drydown. I think you can get a current 100ml bottle for less than $30. If you like vetiver it's an easy buy/no brainer.

Vetiver Extreme lover here, as I like the spicy tonka things in this.
    Tried the current 'non-extreme' Vetiver today and also liked it very very much. This one is more, well, austere, straight, dry, classy. Both the Extreme and the Vetiver perform nicely for six hours or so, both don't shout, though.
    I did a 180 turn on these 'pure' vetiver scents over the last year. I thought of them mainly as citrus scents and a bit boring.
    Actually, after playing around with several vetivers (Carven/Givenchy/Malizia (!!!)/Etro/Sycomore etc.) I found them to be very nuanced, very different, in fact very entertaining.
    In the end I'm glad that I did some blind buys for a good price, yes.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    There's no such thing as a safe blind buy. Always sample first!

This one is very old school. You have been warned.
    I realize it is old school which is fine. I am old school myself.

I have a sample on the way and will report my thoughts on it in this thread.

Thanks everyone. I really love the fact that everyone here is interested in teaching and looking out for one another.

Thanks again.

Basenotes Junkie

I love and own the Guerlain. I've sampled the Tom Ford several times and dislike it. They don't smell similar to me.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Thanks again everyone.

Current guerlain smells wonderful.
    It doesn't remind me of the Tom ford at all though..

Vetiver Extreme is so much better and never saw anyone talking about it in here.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Vetiver Extreme is so much better and never saw anyone talking about it in here.
    Did you read any of the thread? It's literally talked about in 5 different posts...
    Last edited by Opiate; 24th February 2018 at 03:29 AM.

Its safe but not quite as safe as TF Grey Vetiver IMHO

Shock horror - a neutral rating?!

I totally agree(d!) and get all the thorough descriptions and analyses that have gone prior - and agree it IS a great journey of smell. It SHOULD be experienced. However(!) it for me, doesn't seem to do it as a practical fragrance (as opposed to a smell of which again it is great). D'ya get what I mean?

Maybe my nose is too uneducated, the chemistry not right on my skin,the dark close late winter days in my UK clime are smothering it - but I get nothing much after the initial opening blast. I have a new bottle, manufactured 07/17.

Yet the odd thing is, my sample vial from notino seems to have a lot more depth and longevity , from it I really did get all the tobacco and spice - which made it a no-brainer. However on full applications ( chest, neck, sides) it really doesn't come out right, seeming to fizzle right out very quickly with very little of the mentioned spice and tobacco to carry it on ?

After a few hrs I'm getting only the faintest of green soapy aroma even with real 'nose dives' into the applied areas.
    Could it be a case of vetiver eating skin?! I do love vetiver frags( but now I am thinking, I enjoy them as smells- not necessarily as fragrances that work on me?), EN was also one that disappeared on me rapidly?

Scratching me head somewhat :-/

Alas the search for a signature frag continues!
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

An excellent choice, however if you don't like tobacco don't go for it

then... go and try it! you can find it everywhere... jesus!

@ ifti : Guerlain Vetiver is a summer frag for me; I don't wear it at all in cold weather. Try it again as the weather warms up.
    I almost view it as a green vetiver eau de cologne, but with more lasting power and complexity.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Always be smelling

Guerlain Vetiver is good in all iterations. I personally like the EDC formulation.
    The other vetivers that you can try are

Diptyque Vetyverio EDP
    Carven le Vetiver EDP (wooden cap white bottle). Really cheap ($30/100ml)
    Vetiver by Roger Gallet (vintage)
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Basenotes Junkie

I would wear this all the time except my wife hates it. Would suggest the OP tries the current version and take it from there - surely little point in being put off by comparisons with older versions. If you end up being a lover, you'll come to understand what good value it is.