Code of Conduct

Default Best Aftershave?

I use a mix between Dial Face & Body Lotion, Afta Aftershave Fresh, and Man Aubusson Intense aftershave that I received from a gift set.

Any thoughts/opinions on my collection?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Best Aftershave?

I have the Man Aubusson EDT which I like a lot, so I imagine that your combination must smell quite nice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Mennen Afta I used for years, and is great. Mennen Skin Bracer is the best aftershave splash I've come across, because it soothes like an aftershave balm does.

So long as all your first two sooth any irritation after a shave and you don't get any raw spots, they are working fine.
    If you do suffer irritation, you may want to look at applying witch hazel (women's toner stuff) or alum (the best) for treating nicks and micro-nicks, waiting a bit, and then applying your two balms..

Arguably my best aftershave balm is one which contains witch hazel - but while it is the best soother, it doesn't go on evenly, and sometimes dries and leaves small globs of dry residue on parts of my face,

The other issue is balms that leave a wet look on one's face from moisturising too much (like Nivea Men) and those that leave a matte finish (like Afta and Rexona Men Balm).

I have lots of matching designer aftershave splashes to EDT like your ManAbusson one. They tend to sting me like hell if I apply them after a shave - though some people like this sensation. But as I want them to complement my EDT, I apply neutral balm or alum first, wait ten minutes and then apply the aftershave splash so that my face smells nice without stinging.
    Regards,
    Renato

Hi Renato. Do you get Mennens Skin Bracer here in Melb. Or buying online. I haven't seen any Mennen aftershave except deo sticks locally for a long time.
    Last edited by Alex; 27th February 2018 at 08:20 AM.

Dependent

There are plenty of 'artisanal' ones coming to the fore which work well. Stirling have some good ones in a huge variety of fragrances. They give decent skin feel and come in alcohol and non-alcohol versions, the latter utilising witch hazel as a toner.

If you want something that's a straight-up alcohol hit with some menthol, such as the barbershop aftershaves of yesteryear, Fine Accoutrements do some lovely smelling ones. All scents are based on something else - their L'Orange Noir is a particularly good representation of Terre d'Hermes with plenty of scent strength.

For a bit more conditioning/nourishing, have a look at Extro. They're based in Italy and Donato (the founder) is an avid wet shaver. I've used their Bay Rum which has an odd combination of West Indies Bay, Lemon and Tea Tree. It feels fantastic with little alcohol burn. Depending on where you're situated it can be a little hard to obtain. I'm also aware they've done a fragrance in homage to Eau Sauvage, namely 'O'Selvaggio'. Don's shaving creams are top-tier also.

If you want something a bit more mass-produced/easier to obtain, have a look for Floïd aftershaves. They're very much barbershop-citrus-powder, with the exception of 'Floïd Black' which is far sweeter/fruitier and would compliment something like Aventus quite nicely. They have some great skin feel and varying levels of menthol, so you can have a full face freeze with 'Mentolado Vigoroso', which is coincidentally my favourite offering (though I've also added more menthol...)!

In the way of balms, there's Nivea sensitive aftershave balm which is nice and inoffensive. I'm aware Extro are producing balms now, though I'm yet to try them. Stirling do a good balm, though some complain it feels a tad 'thick' on the face, but generally well received. Finally, British Barbers Association post-shave balm is lovely, soothing stuff. It's, rather shockingly, a deep, bloody red but the colour dissipates quickly and it is particularly proficient at soothing razor burn of any degree.

Dependent

I just use unscented moisturizer lotion as I don't want anything to conflict with my SOTD fragrance.

Speick!

Sometimes I use Pitralon Classic. Subtle and doesn't overwhelm any other scent you might want to wear.

Dependent

I personally categorize after shaves into two groups, post-shave skincare or lightweight fragrance. I usually stay away for the fragrance variety because I don't want to have any conflicts with my SOTD fragrance. My top three post-shave skincare after shaves are Lucky Tiger, Cella and Speick. I think Fine Accoutrements after shaves are close in skincare but after their price increase last Fall I probably will not replenish what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Hi Renato. Do you get Mennens Skin Bracer here in Melb. Or buying online. I haven't seen any Mennen aftershave except deo sticks locally for a long time.
    Hi Alex,
    Skin Bracer used to be everywhere once, but I haven't seen it in a while. Amazon are selling Afta here, but at the ridiculous price of $34.97 a bottle.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I personally categorize after shaves into two groups, post-shave skincare or lightweight fragrance. I usually stay away for the fragrance variety because I don't want to have any conflicts with my SOTD fragrance. My top three post-shave skincare after shaves are Lucky Tiger, Cella and Speick. I think Fine Accoutrements after shaves are close in skincare but after their price increase last Fall I probably will not replenish what I have.
    I need to try Cella a/s as I use Cella shaving cream in a jar and rate it highly. Better than anything I tried to date including GF Trumpers, Taylor's and Proraso creams and soaps.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

If lotion - I match lotion to the SOTD, buying matching perfume and after-shave.
    If post-shave care - I use Clinique balm or Dr. Or or Ahava
    Last edited by gmichael; 1st April 2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Lucido After Shave Lotion, scentless and very soothing for the skin.

41VLbty--NL._SY355_.jpg
    "The prettier the rose the fouler the manure"
    Currently wearing: Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

L'Occitane is excellent. The Nivea Sensitive one is not bad. Gillette Cool Wave is okay, but the scent is fantastic.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

auslese.jpg

Shiseido's Auslese aftershave is very good--no real scent, just the right amount of tingle.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Nivea-Senstive Post Shave Balm
    I don't want alcohol drying my skin. This stuff works great, and feels clean, but I wish it had some kind of scent.

Afta by Mennen-Fresh
    Afta fans! A nice after shave balm. Feels good, but very old school smelling.

Gillette Cool Wave
    This stuff is almost like an EDT if you put enough on. I don't use it that often, because it has alcohol and dries me out too much. But a nice mossy dry down. Smells like a better version of reformulated Lacoste Original.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Nivea-Senstive Post Shave Balm
    I don't want alcohol drying my skin. This stuff works great, and feels clean, but I wish it had some kind of scent.
    I can't say I have ever noticed much difference between Nivea Fragrance-Neutral Sensitive aftershave balm, and the regular Nivea aftershave balm - except that the latter had a bit of scent in it.

That said, you can make your Nivea Fragrance-Neutral Extra Sensitive aftershave balm smell like any scent that you like.
    Pour some into the palm of your hand.
    Spray two or three squirts of whichever EDT you like into it.
    Mix the EDT and balm with your finger, then apply to face.

Sometimes you get a perfect balm matching the EDT, sometimes it's not quite so perfect as several notes get killed off - though the result is still pleasant.
    Regards,
    Renato

I utilize a few different options. Gillette brand after shave lotion for sensitive skin, kinda light scented in the vein of Drakkar Noir/Gucci Nobile vibe. Most often I use a store-brand skin lotion that's a copy of Aveeno lotion. It is unscented. Or, I sometimes just opt for a splash of Witch Hazel. They all seem to work well, and really don't get in the way of my SOTD.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I can't say I have ever noticed much difference between Nivea Fragrance-Neutral Sensitive aftershave balm, and the regular Nivea aftershave balm - except that the latter had a bit of scent in it.
    I just got the Maximum Moisturizing one. The bottle with the blue cap. Really good scent! Not quite as good as their blue bottle shaving gel scent but nice nonetheless!

That said, you can make your Nivea Fragrance-Neutral Extra Sensitive aftershave balm smell like any scent that you like.
    Pour some into the palm of your hand.
    Spray two or three squirts of whichever EDT you like into it.
    Mix the EDT and balm with your finger, then apply to face.
    Thanks for the tip, sounds cool but I'd be scared to put cologne on my face. In fact, I think I'm hanging up most of my EDTs and sticking with aftershaves 'cause I think I'm allergic to most. Especially Drakkar Noir!

I recently tried the Dove brand aftershave...no good. Scent smelled cheap, and not as nice as their deodorants.
    I'm gonna shoot for the CK Eternity aftershave balm and stock up on Nivea.

I just got the Maximum Moisturizing one. The bottle with the blue cap. Really good scent! Not quite as good as their blue bottle shaving gel scent but nice nonetheless!

Thanks for the tip, sounds cool but I'd be scared to put cologne on my face. In fact, I think I'm hanging up most of my EDTs and sticking with aftershaves 'cause I think I'm allergic to most. Especially Drakkar Noir!

I recently tried the Dove brand aftershave...no good. Scent smelled cheap, and not as nice as their deodorants.
    I'm gonna shoot for the CK Eternity aftershave balm and stock up on Nivea.
    But Aftershave Splash or Aftershave Balm is just the EDT diluted down into the alcohol or balm. The Nivea trick is just doing the same. Perhaps test it out by using one spray of EDT in a handful of Nivea balm?

I'm puzzled as to why you are allergic to EDTs and not to their respective aftershave splashs - since they are the same thing (though the Drakkar Noir aftershave splash is one of the weakest scentwise that I've ever tested). There is no reason you can't use aftershave splashes as you use EDTs on your body - the scent just won't last as long.

The other thing some people do over at Badger and Blade is mix EDT with Witch Hazel and use that as aftershave splash (since Witch Hazel is the second best thing to sooth micro nicks and real nicks).

The best thing to sooth nicks is an Alum block or Alum Crystal deodorant stick. I used to hate applying aftershave splash after shaving because it hurt and made me red raw. But if I apply Alum after wet shaving, wait ten minutes, and then apply the aftershave splash, it doesn't hurt or aggravate my face much anymore.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I'm puzzled as to why you are allergic to EDTs and not to their respective aftershave splashs - since they are the same thing (though the Drakkar Noir aftershave splash is one of the weakest scentwise that I've ever tested). There is no reason you can't use aftershave splashes as you use EDTs on your body - the scent just won't last as long.
    Thanks for the response.
    Ever since I've gotten into this hobby I've noticed that a lot of the colognes I've sampled or worn make me break out in sweats, and my face itch badly, my brow in particular. There's other concerns as well, but I don't want to get into that at the moment. Mostly old school fragrances (Drakkar, Paco, Azzaro) but anything heavy and spicy too (John Varvatos). It could be other factors, but I only experience these symptoms when I wear these types of colognes. Oh yeah, I recently wore Eternity again, and despite that being a "light" scent, the same symptoms occurred. The only thing I can think of is that my body, or face in particular, reacts negatively to the sharpness and extremely close proximity of certain type of fragrances. Eternity does have an initial sharpness to it.

The only fragrances or fragrance-related things that don't do that to me, so far, are John Varvatos Artisan Acqua, and Nivea aftershave balm.

The other thing some people do over at Badger and Blade is mix EDT with Witch Hazel and use that as aftershave splash (since Witch Hazel is the second best thing to sooth micro nicks and real nicks).
    And I stupidly ordered the Drakkar Noir scented balm even though I know what it does to me, because I'm addicted to that damn scent, nostalgia and all.
    I even got one of those Yankee Drakkar air fresheners for my car, and same thing happened, my face and brow was feeling all itchy, and I was sweating.
    I was hoping that a balm consisted of different chemicals or ingredients to take out the sharpness of the scent, but from what you described I was totally wrong.

The best thing to sooth nicks is an Alum block or Alum Crystal deodorant stick. I used to hate applying aftershave splash after shaving because it hurt and made me red raw. But if I apply Alum after wet shaving, wait ten minutes, and then apply the aftershave splash, it doesn't hurt or aggravate my face much anymore.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Thanks for recommendation. I'll check out the Alum block/Crystal sticks.

Thanks for the response.
    Ever since I've gotten into this hobby I've noticed that a lot of the colognes I've sampled or worn make me break out in sweats, and my face itch badly, my brow in particular. There's other concerns as well, but I don't want to get into that at the moment. Mostly old school fragrances (Drakkar, Paco, Azzaro) but anything heavy and spicy too (John Varvatos). It could be other factors, but I only experience these symptoms when I wear these types of colognes. Oh yeah, I recently wore Eternity again, and despite that being a "light" scent, the same symptoms occurred. The only thing I can think of is that my body, or face in particular, reacts negatively to the sharpness and extremely close proximity of certain type of fragrances. Eternity does have an initial sharpness to it.

The only fragrances or fragrance-related things that don't do that to me, so far, are John Varvatos Artisan Acqua, and Nivea aftershave balm.

And I stupidly ordered the Drakkar Noir scented balm even though I know what it does to me, because I'm addicted to that damn scent, nostalgia and all.
    I even got one of those Yankee Drakkar air fresheners for my car, and same thing happened, my face and brow was feeling all itchy, and I was sweating.
    I was hoping that a balm consisted of different chemicals or ingredients to take out the sharpness of the scent, but from what you described I was totally wrong.

Thanks for recommendation. I'll check out the Alum block/Crystal sticks.
    If you like Drakkar Noir that much, maybe check out Yardley English Blazer and - if you are ever in Salzburg, Austria - check out Mozart EDT. They both remind me strongly of Drakkar Noir. Your Drakkar Noir balm may still be okay, as nearly all balms kill off some of the notes - or at least may provide a partial protective layer.

Shame about the scents you have an allergic reaction too. Perhaps shave you inner forearm and spray scent on it before buying, and see if there is any reaction (if there is - run to the Men's and wash it off with soap quickly). Or better yet, try this test out now with scents you own that definitely do irritate you, and see if it's a valid analog/test.

Does taking a slow release anti-histamine pill ameliorate the allergic symptoms?

I haven't checked the latest formulation of Eternity, but I'd never describe the one I own as light. After wearing it I have to hang and air my jumper for five or six days before the scent disappears.
    Cheers,
    Renato

On the artisan side, my favorite is Ghost Town Barber by Chiseled Face. My post shave feel with this (in combination with the shave soap) is fantastic. Skin is nice and smooth, not dry at all. His scents are a bit more edgy in my opinion, but I am quite fond of Ghost Town Barber and Sherlock.

Someone else mentioned Fine and Stirling. Both are great. The Fine scent lingers for close to 8 hours on me, at least the Lavender pour homme.

Dependent

I've been lucky enough to try out some Australian Private Reserve aftershave recently, namely their 'Fresca' scented one. A little goes a long way and it feels a little oily on the skin but, goodness gracious me, it does a great job. Really locks in the moisture and keeps everything hydrated, soft and irritation-free.

Well worth a try if you can find it.

Basenotes Plus

Brut all the way. I see no votes for it, but it is one of my favorite scents. The splash on fades away, so it does not interfere with my chosen SOTD. (hopefully anyway) I love the smell of Brut, and would buy it in a edt spray for 10 times the price.

Plain ole simple thick waterless Vanicream and sometimes followed up by Vaseline.

Sounds silly.

Works amazing!

Here's what to look for in a good balm:

Aloe Vera - calms down irritated skin and cools down the burn;

Chamomile Extract - helps the healing of skin burns and inflammation;

Witch Hazel - reduces inflammation, cellular damage and heals wounds;

Calendula - heals, soothes and softens the skin;

Tea Tree Oil - it is an antiseptic that helps against infections;

Vitamin E - an antioxidant that helps your skin look young and blemish-free;

Avocado, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Apricot kernel, or Olive oil.

The one I love doesn't tick off all the boxes here but it's pretty good: Proraso Aftershave Sandalwood.

Check out this article for more info on how to pick a good balm:

http://www.groomingheroes.com/top-10-of-the-best-aftershave-balms-for-sensitive-skin/
    Writing about the art of smelling good at ScentBound.co.

"If a fragrance is too perfect or too pretty, it becomes boring. Fragrances – like people – have to have some kind of imperfection." - Frederic Malle

I am a longtime Proraso aftershave lotion user and can recommend it.

I'm a wet shaver for years. Here are some thoughts from a wet shavers experience

splashes:

Alt-Innsbruck. Fantastic tobacco/mint/menthol mix that has been an Austrian staple for decades. You want an all natural bracing, great smelling aftershave? here it is. Lasts 6-8 hours
    Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge. While not the most nourishing, it is a very high quality traditional alcohol based aftershave with my favorite scent that is fairly long lasting.
    DR Harris Sandalwood. Has it all. Skin nourishing; great scent; lasts 6-8 hours. Old school at its' best
    Floid Vigoroso. Traditional Italian alcohol and menthol based with barbershop/powdery scent. Lasts 4-6 hours
    Myrsol Metilsol (scent free. Contains alum and other nourishing goodies for your skin) Lovely Spanish aftershave that is a medicinal cure for irritated skin.
    Thayers Witch Hazel. Has been a wet shaver staple for decades. Available with and without alcohol. Many wet shavers use Thayers immediately after the shave, followed by a scented aftershave or EdT.

Milks: (thicker than a splash, but thinner than a balm. Apply like a splash)

Antica Barberia Colla. From Italy's oldest barber shop. Amazing. Apricot and Green Tobacco are my favorites, but they also have almond and red sandalwood.
    DR Harris skin food (several fragrances)
    Trumpers skin food (pink is a favorite)

Balms

Baume.be From Belgium. Available at Maggards Razors. All natural; non greasy and a mild pleasant scent. A cornucopia of healthy goodness for your skin
    L'Occitane. Cade (juniper) and L'Occitan (lavender) are about the best commercially available I've tried
    British Barbers Association. Tough to find in the US but excellent product. Their shaving cream is also terrific
    All natural shea butter. Available from multiple sources (including L'Occitane). Many wet shavers swear by it.