Code of Conduct

Default How can I dissolve the oil from roasted coffee beans?

I mixed the essential oil of roasted coffee beans with DPG in the ratio 1:1 (weight). After 24 hours, both layers are separated, only a small part of the oil is dissolved in DPG, most not. The DPG is murky. The same result with 20% oil (weight) in DPG.

For the test I have now mixed the oil with ethanol in the ratio 1:1 (volume). At first the solution was murky, after 24 hours it is clear, but at the bottom of the bottle are tiny drops of oil.

Is there a way to completely dissolve the oil or are there always insoluble components in the oil of roasted coffee beans? Thanks in advance and apologies for my bad English.

Regards,

de-we

Default Re: How can I dissolve the oil from roasted coffee beans?

My self made extract is soluble in a few solvents but only its isopropyl myristate solution is miscible with ethanol. So I would suggest to try IPM.

The precipitate is most likely lipids, which possess next to no odour. It suggests that either a carrier oil has been added or that it's an extract as opposed to a distillate. If that is the case, then you can go ahead and remove the precipitate; simply chill the alcohol solution for 24-48 hours and then pour through a chilled filter paper and funnel. If you don't have lab grade filter paper then coffee filter paper will do (the latter should ideally be soaked and dried first to remove most of the paper aroma). Alternatively, you can filter the finished fragrance, to save having to filter a second time if anything else should cause clouding.
    Last edited by Pears; 27th February 2018 at 03:28 PM.

Thank you all for your answers.

@Pears
    I will try to realise your suggestion.

Regards,

de-we

Distillates may contain substances non-miscible with ethanol. No reason why they shouldn't.
    In case of my extract, done with dimethyl ether, chilling and filtering failed utterly. There was no precipitate, just two quite mobile liquid phases. Lipids together with fatty acids and waxes constituted roughly 25% of the non-polar phase which, however, was a major source of the aroma. I tried washing with ethanol and folding but the resulting product was inferior; sad and thin.

I had no problem dissolving the extract in benzyl alcohol but the solution wouldn't blend with ethanol. Eventually I followed mumsy's suggestion to use IPM. Worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by xii View Post
    Distillates may contain substances non-miscible with ethanol.
    Miscibility isn't particularly important but solubility is. Ethanol has a polar hydroxyl group and nonpolar carbon chain and it can therefore dissolve both polar and nonpolar compounds. However, nonpolar compounds with particularly long carbon chains (e.g., lipids) tend to be less soluble in ethanol. Due to their high molecular weight such compounds possess next to no odour.

In case of my extract, done with dimethyl ether, chilling and filtering failed utterly. There was no precipitate, just two quite mobile liquid phases.
    This suggests one of three possibilities: 1) the lipids had not reached the point of supersaturation; 2) the temperature was above the melting point of the lipids; 3) the dimethyl ether extracted much less in the way of lipids to begin with, hence the lack of precipitation.

Lipids together with fatty acids and waxes constituted roughly 25% of the non-polar phase which, however, was a major source of the aroma.
    It's worth mentioning that waxes and fatty acids are, in fact, lipids. While the lipids possess next to no odour themselves, some of the aroma compounds will have a higher affinity for them as opposed to the alcohol. This can be one of the downsides to using alcohol, it just depends on the material. One way around the problem can be to add a small amount of a nonpolar cosolvent but again it depends on the material being extracted.

I had no problem dissolving the extract in benzyl alcohol but the solution wouldn't blend with ethanol. Eventually I followed mumsy's suggestion to use IPM. Worked like a charm.
    If that worked for you then great. Coffee absolute is widely available, so some perfumers clearly prefer a lower lipid content. Each to their own though.
    Last edited by Pears; 1st March 2018 at 04:02 PM.

My self made extract is soluble in a few solvents but only its isopropyl myristate solution is miscible with ethanol. So I would suggest to try IPM.
    IPM works perfectly, thanks.

Regards,

de-we

Pears et al, has anyone used coffee bean oil diluted in IPM in their alcohol-based formulas? I’ve used it neat and it immediately clouds the mix. I love the scent and think it would have loads of interesting uses if I can get it to not cloud everything up.

https://www.edenbotanicals.com/coffee-bean.html

Cheers

Barry

Basenotes Plus

I don't normally dilute things to blend with, but some may already know this.

Sometimes, products need help getting completely dissolved.
    CO2 extractions sometimes need fatty acid ethyl esters to become completely dissolved.

I haven't tested your coffee oil, specifically, to make specific comments... though...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.