Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Notino is down!

Default Re: Notino is down!

Quote Originally Posted by incursore61 View Post
    hi guys, here in Italy notino.it works perfectly, but I have to tell you that some very low prices that I read in this debate I have never seen them in Italy at least ....
    They probably got in trouble in the U.S. for that exact reason... undercutting prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Since the US site has been down over a month, I am guessing that they won't be coming back

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudburst2000 View Post
    Since the US site has been down over a month, I am guessing that they won't be coming back
    I'm guessing you're right.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Yep.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

If they do it certainly won't be as convenient.

I saw they are opening brick and mortar locations in Poland. I wonder if they had to make some sort of agreement to stop undercutting prices in the US to be able to carry products at the new physical locations.

img_1910.jpg

http://english.eurobuildcee.com/?page=news&id=23762
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Why?

They are originally an EU company and that should have no bearing on opening stores there. Now if they opened stores in the US maybe.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Why?

They are originally an EU company and that should have no bearing on opening stores there. Now if they opened stores in the US maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post

I saw they are opening brick and mortar locations in Poland. I wonder if they had to make some sort of agreement to stop undercutting prices in the US to be able to carry products at the new physical locations.

img_1910.jpg

Perhaps they did have an expansion plan for European bricks and mortar and several of the bigger brands told them exactly as you say HFMIII--we won't distribute to your retail outlets unless you stop undercutting prices in America so they just shut their U.S. operation down seeing bigger opportunity for European retail. However...if that's the case, then why not just keep the American website but raise the prices to legitimate levels? Maybe the cost/benefit of their loss in sales with raised prices just made the U.S. operation no longer profitable enough? Don't know.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Just tried typing in "Notino" and my mac blocked it saying it was "impersonating Beautyspin and did I want to proceed" - I figure we have our answer - it's all gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    Just tried typing in "Notino" and my mac blocked it saying it was "impersonating Beautyspin and did I want to proceed" - I figure we have our answer - it's all gone now.
    Weird. I still get the landing page with the message about “world shop on its way”. Tried searching from two different apple devices, and from a google search bar; it takes me back to the same page. Cookies, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post

img_1910.jpg

They are in Czech as well. These physical stores are great because one can collect a package from there and don't pay anything for shipping. They don't carry very many fragrances in the shops unfortunately. The only new thing for me I found there were eccentric molecules.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Lellabelle View Post
    Weird. I still get the landing page with the message about “world shop on its way”. Tried searching from two different apple devices, and from a google search bar; it takes me back to the same page. Cookies, perhaps?
    This is what I get

I confess to not having enough energy to read this entire thread. Please can anyone tell me if Notino is going to continue to have an on-line presence or not? I buy more often from Fragrancenet, but I have occasionally purchased from Notino. It would be disappointing if they are discontinuing online sales.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    I confess to not having enough energy to read this entire thread. Please can anyone tell me if Notino is going to continue to have an on-line presence or not? I buy more often from Fragrancenet, but I have occasionally purchased from Notino. It would be disappointing if they are discontinuing online sales.
    As it stands, it appears unlikely that they will return in the U.S., and if they do, they will be shipping from Europe so prices will not be as good. No one who has posted here knows for sure, but this is my best guess. They still have online presence internationally.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    My bet is no.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Oh, too bad. What a shame. Thank you both Juxtapozbliss and hednic.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Dependent

Wish they were still around, pretty much used them for most things I would buy. I could always get great deals thru them. Whats the best overseas Notino variant I could use that will be the best price to ship to US? I don't understand if Chanel had a problem with them why not drop selling any Chanel?

Quote Originally Posted by guitarphil View Post
    Wish they were still around, pretty much used them for most things I would buy. I could always get great deals thru them. Whats the best overseas Notino variant I could use that will be the best price to ship to US? I don't understand if Chanel had a problem with them why not drop selling any Chanel?
    Yea...me too!! Hard to ship fragrances from overseas especially UK. Check out FragranceX. They are not bad. Lightening fast shipping which is good for me since I only live in a neighbor state from their shipping warehouse. Fragrancenet is slow as molasses with their shipping. Annoying as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarphil View Post
    Whats the best overseas Notino variant I could use that will be the best price to ship to US?
    Probably Elysees Parfums as their shipping is still only 25 Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    So here's the scoop from my friend:
    they would undercut prices for [redacted] in the US market, which means they were not receiving it from an authorized US distributor for that line. No retailer is legally permitted to receive it without honoring the manufacturer-set price. The only real explanation is that they were buying from some unscrupulous distributor in a different international region and selling where they weren't supposed to, which is something the brands take very seriously as a threat to their global sales strategies.
    "unscrupulous distributor"???

Well, "manufacturer-set prices" are illegal in the European Union as they are considered an anticompetitive practice(price fixing). It's very weird that such a thing is permitted in the US. We all know that producers of luxury/fashion goods absolutely love price fixing. So it's likely that they operated in the US like they do in the EU and ran into some trouble. If that's the case, they'll probably want to ship the goods from the EU so that they can keep the prices low, instead of complying with crazy US laws.

This is what happens in Europe:

Last month the highest French court – the Cour de cassation – upheld a fine of more than € 40 million imposed on 13 luxury perfume manufacturers (including Chanel and Guerlain) and three giant retailers on the French market (Marionnaud, Séphora and Nocibé) for price fixing. The Cour de cassation confirmed the finding of an anticompetitive vertical price-fixing agreements between leading perfume producers and retailers on the French market.

Resale price maintenance (RPM) is per se illegal, even for luxury brands
    [..]
    RPM occurs when a manufacturer sets its retailers’ resale price for its goods. In this case, the luxury perfume manufacturers imposed a “recommended retail price” for the perfumes, set a maximum discount off the recommended retail price and introduced a pricing control system. In Europe, RPM practices are considered to be anticompetitive as they can facilitate collusion, lead to a softening of competition and/or result in higher prices.

The luxury perfume manufacturers and retailers argued that RPM can be an effective way for manufacturers to ensure that their distributors protect and promote the luxury image of the brands, in particular through competition on services and sales efforts. But the court rejected this justification, reasoning that the need for manufacturers to protect their brand image cannot justify the restrictions placed on free price determination.
    https://www.covbrands.com/2013/07/29...rfumes-sector/

Quote Originally Posted by ccdan View Post
    Last month the highest French court – the Cour de cassation – upheld a fine of more than € 40 million imposed on 13 luxury perfume manufacturers (including Chanel and Guerlain) and three giant retailers on the French market (Marionnaud, Séphora and Nocibé) for price fixing. The Cour de cassation confirmed the finding of an anticompetitive vertical price-fixing agreements between leading perfume producers and retailers on the French market.

[[/url]

Gregory David Roberts

Well, "manufacturer-set prices" are illegal in the European Union as they are considered an anticompetitive practice(price fixing). It's very weird that such a thing is permitted in the US. We all know that producers of luxury/fashion goods absolutely love price fixing. So it's likely that they operated in the US like they do in the EU and ran into some trouble. If that's the case, they'll probably want to ship the goods from the EU so that they can keep the prices low, instead of complying with crazy US laws.

[..]
    RPM occurs when a manufacturer sets its retailers’ resale price for its goods. In this case, the luxury perfume manufacturers imposed a “recommended retail price” for the perfumes, set a maximum discount off the recommended retail price and introduced a pricing control system. In Europe, RPM practices are considered to be anticompetitive as they can facilitate collusion, lead to a softening of competition and/or result in higher prices.

The luxury perfume manufacturers and retailers argued that RPM can be an effective way for manufacturers to ensure that their distributors protect and promote the luxury image of the brands, in particular through competition on services and sales efforts. But the court rejected this justification, reasoning that the need for manufacturers to protect their brand image cannot justify the restrictions placed on free price determination.
    Fascinating. Thanks for all this detail.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

[..]

To follow-up on this. In the US manufacturers cannot set a retail price. It is illigal to do so. That being said, they can set MSRP and what is called MAP Pricing, which is Minimum Advertised Price.

This means, if you signed an agreement to sell XYZ, you cannot advertise a price less than MAP. This does not mean if someone walks into your store, or calls the store, that you cannot sell for less, but you cannot advertise for less than MAP without authorization from the manufacturer or distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    To follow-up on this. In the US manufacturers cannot set a retail price. It is illigal to do so. That being said, they can set MSRP and what is called MAP Pricing, which is Minimum Advertised Price.

This means, if you signed an agreement to sell XYZ, you cannot advertise a price less than MAP. This does not mean if someone walks into your store, or calls the store, that you cannot sell for less, but you cannot advertise for less than MAP without authorization from the manufacturer or distributor.
    I never knew this. Thank you for explaining. Interesting.

Gregory David Roberts

The world is becoming a boring place.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post

Not exactly true.

On June 28, 2007, the United States Supreme Court issued a landmark (5-4) decision in Leegin Creative Leather Products, Inc. v. PSKS, Inc., No. 06-480, expressly overruling the nearly one-hundred-year-old "Dr. Miles" per se prohibition against minimum resale price maintenance agreements. The "rule of reason" will now apply to such agreements.
    https://www.mccarter.com/Minimum-Res...al-07-06-2007/

True, the decision in the Leegin case only affects the federal legislation and the individual states can impose their own legislation: some states permit minimum retail prices, some don't. That is, retailers face a certain degree of uncertainty. MAP seems to be a new invention designed to help manufacturers/distributors avoid trouble with the authorities. The fact that retailers can sell for other prices than those advertised, most likely won't help many customers, as buying decisions are usually made by comparing advertised prices(it could work in certain areas, like car dealerships where customers are accustomed to getting discounts when they express interest in buying something, but it won't have much effect for most ordinary retailers)

The bottom line is that in the US it's not a good idea to sell under the "recommended" price set by the manufacturer/supplier, as the legislation is "at best" ambiguous.

I bought a ton of frags, many Montales and Mancera at really great prices from them. Shame they're not coming back. Remember placing a giant last order before they shut down but had no idea they were gonna close. Intuition maybe.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Junkie

I think I'm still in some kind of denial that they won't still rise from the ashes. Their demise would be less of a body blow if there hadn't also been the EU fragrance shipping crackdown / significant price hikes. From a US perspective, it feels like the absolute best discount fragrance sources all went up in smoke in very short order.

With that said, if anyone in the greater Atlanta area ever wants to do a combined order with First in Fragrance etc. to meet their minimum free shipping threshold, I may well be interested.

#first world problems

I bought Black Aoud (100ml) for $50 on my last order from Notino. And I also bought Mancera's Aoud Vanille (120ml) for $50 too. Unbeatable prices!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I bought Black Aoud (100ml) for $50 on my last order from Notino. And I also bought Mancera's Aoud Vanille (120ml) for $50 too. Unbeatable prices!
    Technically they're beatable now, by default, as we can't buy from them!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: CH Men by Carolina Herrera