Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Dependent

Default Re: Chasing Magnolias

I grew up with magnolia trees all over the place, and I've tried a lot of these fragrances mentioned. So far, I am not getting the similarity to the big white blossom and shiny/waxy dark green leaves of those gigantic trees I loved so much.

Is it possible that the magnolia flower I'm familiar with is a completely different one? This happened when I first heard folks gushing about geranium and I could not understand that fascination LOL! But if someone has managed to bottle magnolia blossoms, PLEASE let me know! Particularly if they did it well! There was a park near where I grew up that had tons of those trees, and we would pick the blossoms and put them in our hair and then climb the thick branches.

Blog Entries

Zephyr, have you tried Malle's Eau de Magnolia?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I think the Southern American Magnolia and the one in Italy are probably slightly different varietals, based on the perfume compositions. Have you tested Gucci Envy? I find it needs to be on skin to get the Magnolia. But I think it’s a reasonably accurate interpretation. Mito, too, though that one is spicier than the magnolia trees I know.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Banned

Nothing I've smelled is a photorealistic magnotlia, tbh--it's all interpretations and approximations at best. Stylized, I think, is a good word, too.

Ormonde Jayne's Champaca is cool champaca interpretation--it goes in the opposite direction of all the big, ylang-y champacas like Tom Ford's and CDG's. It's a little wispy, but I find the scent of magnolias elusive, especially in the wild when you catch whiffs of them rather than inhale giant concentrated huffs.

Oh, and the perfume I picked out for this evening is actually allegedly magnolia. I thought was a somewhat watery gardeniaish jasmine, but the notes say otherwise. Anyway, it's Reflection Woman, done by (ta-da!) Maurice Roucel. Of course. I got my decant from Scentbird. and it did nothing for me, but today it's just uncomfortably hot, and I'm fighting a headache, and it's actually treating me very very well.

Of course! Roucel does Magnolia (again!). I hope you beat the headache, tds.

I did try out Chloe, and it was too, I don’t know, white musky.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Zephyr, have you tried Malle's Eau de Magnolia?
    Yea...it got close, but I wanted the whole blossom up my nose LOL!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    I think the Southern American Magnolia and the one in Italy are probably slightly different varietals, based on the perfume compositions. Have you tested Gucci Envy? I find it needs to be on skin to get the Magnolia. But I think it’s a reasonably accurate interpretation. Mito, too, though that one is spicier than the magnolia trees I know.
    Yea, neither Gucci Envy or Mito even get close - and I love both of those but never even thought "magnolia" with either - I'm thinking of the big trees you can climb under and up into (branches are HUGE!) and the blossoms are gigantic white things that look like they are from a pine cone LOL! We use the leaves at Christmastime to decorate

I got to try the Grandiflora line in Italy. I agree with others that they are very good. As pointed out, there are two magnolia, michel and sandrine (as per perfumer's name). They are very different. The Michel is more in line with eau de magnolia, that is, resembling a muguet and jasmine. That's magnolia to me, but Kotori doesn't seem to find it that way. The sandrine is very different, very citrusy and lighter-actually, to me more a citrus than a magnolia. Perhaps mixing the two will reconstruct the magnolia smell?

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I got to try the Grandiflora line in Italy. I agree with others that they are very good. As pointed out, there are two magnolia, michel and sandrine (as per perfumer's name). They are very different. The Michel is more in line with eau de magnolia, that is, resembling a muguet and jasmine. That's magnolia to me, but Kotori doesn't seem to find it that way. The sandrine is very different, very citrusy and lighter-actually, to me more a citrus than a magnolia. Perhaps mixing the two will reconstruct the magnolia smell?

cacio
    It’s hard to find Sandrine here; I assumed it was out of production. If it isn’t, I’ll be sure to procure a sample.

I do think different varieties of magnolias smell different. We only have two varieties here in Memphis— the classic and the Chinese magnolia. The Chinese is pink and doesn’t smell much. The classic is what Zephyr is talking about: big and white and wafts down the street. I find the smell of those to be a combination of slightly minty/spicy cream, citrus, and a touch of rose. It’s the cream that is missing from most renditions in the perfume world. I think only L’Instant de Guerlain captures that, but L’Instant is almost like a cartoon princess version of magnolia, with all the sweet and pretty aspects magnified and the strange waxiness and dusty pollen edited out.

And Gucci Envy takes those strange green wax and pollen smells and amplifies those, leaving the creaminess mostly out.

Mito focuses most on the green and citrus smells of being in or under the tree, and the creaminess is very soft with a pronounced spiciness.

Eau de Magnolia is very good, focusing on the citric aspects and leaving out most of the cream and definitely the rose.

Sud Magnolia over-emphasizes the mintiness and the rose,

Grandiflora Michel is too much lily of the valley and jasmine and orange blossom and it doesn’t come together as magnolia for me.

Mito is my favorite of all and I find it the most accurate of the bunch and very wearable. If you’re looking for creamy, though, Mito isn’t.

I’m testing some L’Instant variations/flankers today.

I’ve got
    -L’Instant EDP
    -L’Instant EDT
    -L’Instant Magic
    -L’Instant Eau de Noel

I’ll let you all know how it goes.

Interesting, I have limited experience with magnolias, only a few here and at my parents' place. I got citrus + muguet. Some floral creaminess, but that was not front and center, so that's why Eau de Magnolia works for me. But I agree with you that it comes out as a citrus, if one needs to classify it, to the point that I would recommend it as an unusual citrus masculine now that citrus chypres are not common. Mito to me is more about a green floral, I didn't associate it with magnolia, but I have to resmell then.

Sandrine is way more citrusy and green than Eau de Magnolia, so it won't do for you, I think. It was on sale at l'o profumo in Italy, so I assume it has not been discontinued.

cacio

Mito is everything you say: green floral and moss-like and citrus. It’s also spicy-creamy on skin. Could be Eugenol coming off as spice for me and floral for others. Has anyone tried the extrait? I tested the EDP.

Testing notes for L’Instant varieties:

L’Instant Magic- not too related to original L’Instant— its own thing with a non-dominant personality and no detectable magnolia. Will revisit.

L’Instant EDT- Eau de L’Instant with a dryer sheet base. So fresh and so clean. Not too much magnolia.

L’Instant EDP- It is objectively beautiful, long-lasting and strong. It gets a lot right: the honeyed sweetness, the creaminess and the citrus, along with a certain coldness. Still a reference magnolia for me, but it’s not photorealism; it’s more Impressionism.

L’Instant Eau de Noel Iris Millesme- Wow! Lovely and less headache-inducing than the original! What a surprise! Magnolia meets Iris. Two sadnesses in this bundle of goodness: 1) It’s fleeting, and 2) You can’t get it anywhere.

Sud Magnolia by Atelier

This is more like the Chinese magnolias that bear a very slight fruity rosy scent. I get the mintiness and the rosiness of magnolia, but without the creaminess, the citrus, or the coldness. I layered it with Bergamot Soleil and Figuer Ardent, and together they’re a better approximation to the real thing. I really should play with this sampler more.

Cavalli Oro

Cestrum sent me this awhile back. It didn’t strike me as magnolia then, so I’m retesting it. It’s warm and honeyed; an oriental with a magnolia heart. Reminds me of Organza. Or maybe it’s Organza Indecence; haven’t smelled either in more than a decade. Nice. Out of season here. I’ll wear this come Fall. Too much amber and spice for my current quest, but beautiful nonetheless.

Jasmin 17 by Le Labo

So I tested this this morning for something different, and what do I find but L’Instant riffed in an orange blossom scent! It isn’t jasmine at all, in my opinion; it’s a strong orange blossom and bitter orange with a creamy amber and vanilla that, taken together, hints at magnolias.

Of course, I was certain it had to be (and it was) a Roucel creation.

Blog Entries

l don't know why l didn't think of this before, but Goutal's Un Matin d'Orage is a lovely magnolia! The EDT is creamier (and more readily available) than the EDP. And it's one of my all-time favourites! l'd love to know what you think of it, Kotori.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l don't know why l didn't think of this before, but Goutal's Un Matin d'Orage is a lovely magnolia! The EDT is creamier (and more readily available) than the EDP. And it's one of my all-time favourites! l'd love to know what you think of it, Kotori.
    Thanks for the rec! I’ll put it on my list!

The magnolias are starting to bud down here. Can’t wait!

Luckyscent still has Grandiflora Magnolia Sandrine if you want to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Luckyscent still has Grandiflora Magnolia Sandrine if you want to try it.
    True, but they’ve been sold out of samples for awhile. I’m on the list to get an email if they get back in stock, but that seems slightly unlikely since it’s on sale...

Today I did an experiment:

I picked a magnolia petal from a public garden and brought it home. Then I put Gucci Envy on one hand and Mito EDP on the other. And I waited a few minutes, because Mito begins with a sharp lemon, and Envy with a Grey Flannel-reminiscent hairspray note. (Not sure what that note is.)

Blind test of the three boys in my house reveal that 2/3 think Mito smells more like magnolia petal than Envy does. The third detested Mito and chose Envy. Mr. Kotori called Envy “a good approximation,” but ultimately chose Mito.

So I think Mito is the winner. Has anyone tested both the parfum and the Eau de Parfum? What about the voile? Any formulation comments?

On the topic of formulation comments, has anyone tested Envy parfum? My sample is the EDT.

Testing Tokyo Milk Paradiso No. 19, said to have a strong magnolia focus. It's definitely magnolia, but drowned out by loud, staticky laundry musk.

You may want to try Fleur de Lalita - Dusita Parfums

Quote Originally Posted by NoseItAll View Post
    You may want to try Fleur de Lalita - Dusita Parfums
    I’ll add it to my list; thanks!

So I think Mito is the winner. Has anyone tested both the parfum and the Eau de Parfum? What about the voile? Any formulation comments?.
    MIto is gorgeous. I’ve tried all three formulations and there are some subtle differences. The overall profile is the same, but there are definite textural differences. The voile is closer to the extrait than the EDP. Both are plusher than the EDP, and lean a little more towards the tuberose. Ultimately, it’s the green mossiness of the EDP that pulls at my heartstrings, but it’s hard to go wrong with any of these.

I have a number of different magnolia trees and as mentioned earlier, they have different scent profiles. The southern evergreen grandiflora magnolia with the giant flowers and glossy leaves has an almost lemon cream pie scent. I wouldn’t say the voile is creamier per se, but it does have a softness and velvety texture that may speak more to what you’re looking for.

Hope this helps!
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

One more suggestion for you to try (maybe) - Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile (the 2009 version). I find it "magnolia forward" without being a soliflore, and really love it. Based on this thread, I now need to give Mito a test-sniff!

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress - Hope you find your HG magnolia!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

Quote Originally Posted by Lellabelle View Post
    MIto is gorgeous. I’ve tried all three formulations and there are some subtle differences. The overall profile is the same, but there are definite textural differences. The voile is closer to the extrait than the EDP. Both are plusher than the EDP, and lean a little more towards the tuberose. Ultimately, it’s the green mossiness of the EDP that pulls at my heartstrings, but it’s hard to go wrong with any of these.

I have a number of different magnolia trees and as mentioned earlier, they have different scent profiles. The southern evergreen grandiflora magnolia with the giant flowers and glossy leaves has an almost lemon cream pie scent. I wouldn’t say the voile is creamier per se, but it does have a softness and velvety texture that may speak more to what you’re looking for.

Hope this helps!
    It does! Thank you! Can you speak specifically about the parfum? The 7.5 ml parfum is currently the lowest price point for Mito...

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    One more suggestion for you to try (maybe) - Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile (the 2009 version). I find it "magnolia forward" without being a soliflore, and really love it. Based on this thread, I now need to give Mito a test-sniff!

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress - Hope you find your HG magnolia!
    I’ll need to give that one another sniff. I did smell it last year at Epcot, after going to two other stores first and sniffing between 30 and 50 prior scents. Sounds like a revisit is in order.

It does! Thank you! Can you speak specifically about the parfum? The 7.5 ml parfum is currently the lowest price point for Mito...
    The parfum and the voile are the closest of the trio. The parfum is perhaps a little richer, as you’d expect. A touch more peachy perhaps, like you’d find in a vintage Mitsouko - the scents are different, but the association is there, for me at least. They’re really very close, so it’s more about the kind of application you prefer.

Alright y'all, I'm just going to pop in here and suggest Avon's Rare Pearls. It's somewhat similar to SJP's Lovely, but I get a much bigger magnolia note in RP (I'm also not anosmic to the musk in RP, but I am anosmic to at least some of the musks used in the SJP). This is the first Avon purchase I've made, and so far, I'm impressed. I bought a bottle online last week for $12.99.

I have little experience with magnolia notes in perfumery, but I've added pretty much everything mentioned in this thread to my test list.

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

Not a magnolia soliflore, but you might wanna try Puredistance I. A quality light-weighted floral bouquet. I think it opens with mimosa and orange, then transition to recoganizable magnolia scent, along with some other notes I don't remember. Definitly worth sampling.
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

I really need to update my testlist! So many new suggestions!

I should add that I broke down and bought a sample of Eau de Magnolia with my last Surrender to Chance cart, and I might be having a change of heart/chemistry with that one. It wore badly on me when I tested in store; it went funky. But it hasn't been doing that at home with my sample. Maybe it's because when I went to the store I'd been staying with my dad and he has well water? Regardless, it really does smell like a magnolia petal. We are headed into the fall reblooming season for magnolias here. I should do another experiment.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast