Code of Conduct
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Default SP Parfums Sven Pritzkoleit - Official Discussion Thread

*First, there's nothing official about this. I just thought the title would help when people search for it.

There isn't real dedicated discussion thread for this house yet so I thought I'd whip one up. I know Suntanglam made a splash in FFD when it first launched, but aside from that I don't see it talked about here or really anywhere else (ClaireV does briefly discuss a few on her blog and in an article here). Well, not much talk aside from the fact that Liquorice Vetiver was a 2017 Art and Olfaction Finalist, which typically generates a bit of buzz for a perfume and/or house.

As for Sven, German perfumer and proprietor, he is a pharmacist by trade and over the past 20 years had taught himself to compose fragrance as a hobby. I believe the house officially launched in 2016? The website is linked here for more details (in German - use Chrome and the translate feature). He is also the nose behind the upcoming Zoologist Hyrax.

Currently I've only dipped my toes in the water, having tried 4 so far:

Liquorice Vetiver
    Violet Moss
    Green Tea
    Incense Spirit Wood

It only took smelling Liquorice Vetiver to pique my interest in a big way. I'm a card-carrying fan of vetiver and a semi-fan of licorice, and combined into single fragrance - wow. It doesn't smell like any vetiver I've tried before, and honestly I don't think I'd even consider this a vetiver fragrance. To me, both notes (and raw materials) can possess dry, salty, and woody facets, and here they play off one another and highlight that effect. The base has a dry, buttery, woody texture to it that somehow manages to smell rich and plush despite being dry. Perhaps that is due to the listed note of ylang, although I can't say I detect any, at least not in the way I'm used to smelling it. I will give LV a full review in the near future.

From the few I've tried, Sven definitely has a "signature" vibe in his scents. They all have a big personality and truth be told, some of them are not really something I'd like to wear on a regular basis (read: challenging) but I like what he's doing and I hope he continues to do it. I ended up with a full bottle of Liquorice Vetiver after burning through a few samples, and a 7.5ml of Incense Wood Spirit, which was a blind buy based on the notes. IWS I would say is the most challenging so far. Although not listed in the notes here in BN, it's a heavy-handed civet/woody fragrance with somewhat of a vintage feel. However, I do think a balance was achieved. It's also strong as all get out, weighing in at only 61% alcohol and labelled as an "Extrait de Parfum Intense". I will post more detailed thoughts on what I've tried to as time allows.

Lately I've seen more SP Parfums popping up in the SOTD feature (looking at you, StellaDiverFlynn ) and would love to hear from anyone else who has explored the house, regardless of whether you loved or loathed what you sniffed - I am not here to hype nor defend the house, just a fan looking for some honest opinions. I really like the presentation too:

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: SP Parfums Sven Pritzkoleit - Official Discussion Thread

Do you happen to know which retailer in the US carries this house?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    None in the located US that I know of, but I've bought what I have from IndieScents (Calgary, I believe). Shipping always goes ground and is a little slow, but they're super friendly and have some stuff I can't otherwise can't get.
    Last edited by IsoESuperman; 10th March 2018 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    None in the located US that I know of, but I've bought what I have from IndieScents (Calgary, I believe). Shipping always goes ground and is a little slow, but they're super friendly and have some stuff I can't otherwise get.
    Appreciate the reply.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Appreciate the reply.
    Of course! If you end up sampling any I hope you'll share your thoughts.

ISO- E beat me to the indiescents reference.
    Last edited by LostboyR; 10th March 2018 at 10:55 PM.
    Currently wearing: Genre by Edward Bess

I sampled a couple, but wasn't impressed enough to purchase more.

UPDATE:
    Then I sampled Powder & Dust. Magnolia and Delirious Iris.
    Those three are a game changer for me.
    I'm so glad I smelled these.
    I will be buying a bottle of each.
    Last edited by thebeck; 2nd June 2019 at 03:47 PM.

Blog Entries

l am one of the fans of Suntanglam as mentioned by lsoE, having bought a bottle almost immediately after sampling it. l think perhaps people are put off by the name, but this really isn't your average "beachy" fragrance. Yes, the hot sand & sun lotion are there, but they're accompanied by a gorgeous cloud of retro-style powder, along with a distinctly animalic growl. Think "sex on the beach in an exclusive location" like San Tropez, & you get the idea. l absolutely adore it.

The only other one l've tried is Cassis, from a free sample that came with my order from lndiescents. l don't particularly enjoy blackcurrant in perfume, but for anyone who does, l'd recommend this as a very natural-smelling interpretation of the note.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l am one of the fans of Suntanglam as mentioned by lsoE, having bought a bottle almost immediately after sampling it. l think perhaps people are put off by the name, but this really isn't your average "beachy" fragrance. Yes, the hot sand & sun lotion are there, but they're accompanied by a gorgeous cloud of retro-style powder, along with a distinctly animalic growl. Think "sex on the beach in an exclusive location" like San Tropez, & you get the idea. l absolutely adore it.

The only other one l've tried is Cassis, from a free sample that came with my order from lndiescents. l don't particularly enjoy blackcurrant in perfume, but for anyone who does, l'd recommend this as a very natural-smelling interpretation of the note.
    I thought Suntanglam was interesting and a fun summer fragrance. I also think Sex and The Sea by Francesca Bianchi is quite a bit better.

Basenotes Plus

I've only tried Liquorice Vetiver briefly and thought it was quite good. I'd be quite leery of spending $150 for 30ml, or even $45 for a 7.5ml though. Probably requires further testing to get me to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    I've only tried Liquorice Vetiver briefly and thought it was quite good. I'd be quite leery of spending $150 for 30ml, or even $45 for a 7.5ml though. Probably requires further testing to get me to pull the trigger.
    I sampled Liquorice Vetiver also because of the 2017 finalist. Thought it was okay, but overall I feel the price is high for the quality offered. At those prices I expect better quality materials.

Well I started and then promptly abandoned this (albeit unintentionally) almost a year ago. That was before Turin shat all over the SP/Miguel Matos collaborations - which I have since sampled 2 of 3 and I have to say, while I don't find them as laughably awful as he does, I do think they are far from "smelling good" as far as my tastes go.

Anyone else sampled this house lately? As a result of the new Guide or otherwise? Aside from the throttling that SP Parfums got in the guide (Matos collabs were all that made it in, they apparently don't like each other or something) Luca did have praise for Liquorice Vetiver, Violet Moss, and one or two others on his perfumesilove website prior to the guide. I see them occasionally pop up in the SOTD feature here, but rarely see them talked about.

I have tried a small handful more and I have to say, I got really lucky starting off with Liquorice Vetiver, Violet Moss, and Green Tea. Sven really has a penchant for...I guess, vegetally animalic, super strong fragrances. I found most of them at least challenging if not downright unwearable, again, as far as my tastes go.

I still really, really enjoy Liquorice Vetiver and have zero regrets picking up a bottle, but boy howdy, some of the others in this line are...they're really something. And to boot, some of the weirder, more uncomfortable ones are $190/30ml. Super high asking price for what is essentially a 'new entry' house IMO. Anyway.

Will post thoughts on individual scents in the future but so far:

I like or found pleasant:

Liquorice Vetiver (really like this one)
    Green Tea
    Violet Moss
    Pink Patchouli
    Cassis

On the fence about:

Incense Wood Spirit (no perfume needs to be this potent, though)
    Lignum Vitae Forte

Did not particularly enjoy:

Funfair (a Matos collab)

Found extremely difficult to wear:

Dark Rose (no rose here BTW)
    Lisbon Blues (a Matos collab)
    Civette Intense

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds
    Blog Entries

I fell in love with Suntanglam. I don't want to pay the high price for even a decant though. It'll stay on the wish-list for now.
    Sono strano e sono orgoglioso di essorlo...

IsoESuperman, my experiences with SP Parfums echo much with yours, "vegatally animalic, super strong" and not many are easy to wear and apprehend. I find some of them artistically intriguing, but others I find have some very sharp synthetic ingredients that stick out and not in an artful way. And some of the perfumes smell more like provoking, novel accords with potential, rather than complete perfumes. The opening are usually very impressive, but later on it often loses the steam and smell more amorphous and unpleasantly synthetic to my nose, kind of like how BeauFort perfumes behave like, although SP Parfums has a more "artisan" feeling.

I tried most of his perfumes so far and here are my impressions:

- Violet Moss: My favourite from this house so far and I bought 2 travel sprays. Mostly dominated by the pair earthy and metallic violet and moss, with a liquorice-hay facet that adds depth and brings out a bucolic vibe. The metallic moss has some similarities to Speed Smelling 2017-2018 Anne Flipo's creation to my nose. Later on an IBQ-like leather undertone surfaces which vaguely reminds me of Jolie Madame.

- Civette Intense: I enjoy this one as well and bought 1 travel spray. A chiaroscuro pairing of bright lemon and dark, synthetic civet that imparts a funky animalic warmth but somehow not indolic like natural civet? There's also a bit of smoky leather reminiscent of castoreum. Overall it's actually more like a citrus perfume but with a sensual animalic warmth.

- Suntanglam: I actually find Miguel Matos' collaboration with Pritzkoleit are among the better executed ones within SP Parfums and are very interesting even though not necessarily easy to wear. Suntanglam has this strong fizzy ozonic patchouli like in Pink Patchouli but with a fruity and airy coconut to soften the sharp edge. A nutty undertone also helps to sooth the sharp patchouli. Later on it's like a coconut suntan lotion but with a subtle animalic buzz in the background.

- Lisbon Blue: Another quite interesting and surprising combination. It opens with a marine salty note which then turns warmer and more organic, and more like animalic saltiness. It's then contrasted with galbanum/wormwood vegetal bitterness as well as a salty citrus note. The combination of vegetal and salty aspect is sometimes reminiscent of seaweed. Overall quite an evocative fragrance.

- Funfair: This one has a very realistic popcorn note which is quite fun! Unfortunately it's juxtaposed with metallic and a bracing iodine notes which I find too aggressive for my liking. I get the idea of a fun fair with sweet street food and the machines made of metal, but I think the contrast is too heavy-handed here.

- Sunmilkflower: Minty herb sipped in caramel milk! Weird but also very fun to smell. The dry down smells like a slightly plastic dried peach skin scent and loses the initial dynamic, which is a let down to me.

- Green Tea: Sour green tea with the kind of dry but oily texture that I also encounter in Bogue MEM, although they don't have any other things in common. Later on it smells like the sharp, astrigent smell of cut grass, impressive but not comfortable to wear in the long run for my liking.

- Liquorice Vetiver: Licorice, butter, and tender, fruity ylang, which then converge together to create an illusion of a lemon-liquorice scented butter sauce. This opening is so yummy! But once it dries down, the details start to fade and it smells more synthetic and abstract, unfortunately.

- Pink Patchouli: Fizzy powder + ozonic patchouli + red berry sweetness. Quite a disconcerting effect overall and the powder-dirt part is surprisingly realistic. An interesting accord which I find more suitable as an accompanying scent for a provocative art exhibition and too synthetic for my liking to wear as a perfume.

- White Blossom Powder: Kind of like burnt rubber, with the green bitterness of galbanum and citrus-y elemi? Later on it takes on a candy-like tonality. A bit messy as if one throws different notes together to see what sticks on the wall.

- Dark Rose: I don't really perceive the usual rose note here, but a medicinal and very sour note like...pickled rose??? All the while it's paired with a very clean, almost chewy musky leather somehow reminiscent of the texture of leather note in Afrika Olifant but without the funky animalic aspect. Interesting combination for sure, but again I wish it was incorporated in a matrix than shown to me in this bare form.

- Incense Wood Spirit: Metallic incense with peppery and pine-like fresh woody facets, as well as a synthetic, acrid ozonic nuance. Thankfully it turns a bit more spicy as well as warmed by a subtle civet. The softly civet and woody dry down is quite nice.

- Lignum Vitae Forte: A bit aquatic/ozonic opening like bamboo, then a fizzy ozonic dirt-like patchouli busts out which seems like a recurrent pattern in SP Parfums. Overall it smells like a better-executed Zoologist Panda in the opening. Then the fragrance turns slightly chocolate-y and softly sour, faux oud-like thanks to cypriol, and it becomes a subtly sweet earthiness in the dry down which I find more enjoyable than the opening.

- SP Cologne: It doesn't have much in common with traditional cologne to my nose, but a very chewy, slightly rotten and animalic combination of tuberose and musk. It's like you isolated the civet-y nuance in Hermès Muguet Porcelaine then amplify it 100 times.

- Rose Polaroid: A soapy clean green rose...but with cumin! Later on it gets more aggressively funky as well. Interesting combination but again a bit too heavy-handed to my liking.

- Lemon Sorbet & Orange: Fresh powdery lemon, and that's it. For once it actually smells normal, but as it has this synthetic feeling like all the SP Parfums without the avant-garde attitude, it turns out to be kind of forgettable.

- Christmas Scent Cassis: It's like you pick out that slightly burnt bitter greenness of the usual cassis accord and amplify it tenfold, only slightly softened by tiny bit of mint. Interesting idea of exaggeration of a certain trait, provocative as always but unfortunately it doesn't strike the jolie-laide balance for me, probably partly because the pervasive synthetic feeling.

I still haven't tried Nowhere Fast, Christmas Scent Nardus, Christmas Scent Palo Santo, Delirious Iris and Powder & Dust. Stylistically speaking, I suspect they'll not be too different from those SP Parfums that I tried, but I still hope to sample them when I get the opportunity.
    Currently wearing: Club Design by The Zoo

I tried this one today. Love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I tried Magnolia today. I like it so much I will wear again tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    I remember seeing these on ClaireV’s blog (or was it here somewhere?) and briefly thinking how great it would be to try Violet Moss. But soon after checking to see their unavailability on Luckyscent and Twisted Lily, I gave up.
    You can get samples of these online from https://www.indiescents.com/brands/SP-Parfums.html
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I'm so happy - Powder and Dust won the Olfaction Award in the Artisan category. AMAZING PERFUME
    I've been raving about this one, but can't seem to get any one to join in. Maybe this will help the curious.
    http://www.artandolfactionawards.org...019-finalists/

I want to say something about the three latest ones:
    Powder & Dust
    Magnolia
    Delirious Iris

These three are quite an evolution forward from previous scents from SP Parfums.
    They all have this huge WOW FACTOR.
    Instantly compelling and continues to allure.

It seems Sven has a had a jolt of artistic creativity. Sven's fragrances tend to push boundaries, and sometimes exceed our comfort zone. This trio doesn't try to push boundaries, except to just smell AMAZING - and they do. These are polished, without any rough edges/and or challenges. Sven has shown he has learned some new tricks with these.They'll put a smile on your face every time you apply, and since they all have, all day longevity - you'll get more smiles through out the day.

I'm a little jaded these days from smelling too many mediocre scents. When I smell three amazing new scents from one House, that's an exciting experience for me.
    Last edited by thebeck; 3rd June 2019 at 12:34 AM.

I have the new SP Musk arriving in a couple of days. I'll report back here with my thoughts.

Wearing SP MUSK.
    Suppose to be a second skin scent - and it is...
    Quite a different style for a house that can have room filling sillage like in Powder & Dust/and others.
    Some nice orange blossom and dry patchouli and a wee bit of honey.
    Very hard to get a handle on individual notes.
    This would be like Under My Skin from Francesca Bianchi done in Sven's style.
    Perfect for going in stealth and giving those that get up close a treat, without them really thinking you're wearing scent.
    I'm happy I blind bought this with a bottles of Powder & Dust and Magnolia.
    Sven is on a very creative roll.
    SP MUSK is very classy and melds very nice with the skin as advertised.

What others are saying:

^^^^ Thanks for your thoughts on this latest release.

Thanks for the updated thoughts, thebeck. I'm still enjoying Liquorice Vetiver very much, but haven't been digging into the samples all that often. A few of the newer ones have my interest, especially the florals, especially after reading your posts. Sven seems to be maintaining a steady output. Rose Polaroid, Magnolia, and Delirious Iris are highest on the list.

Question for you thebeck - where have you (or anyone else) been getting samples recently? Indiescents hasn't received any of the newer releases, I think they're like 6-7 behind. I know SP offers them direct but I have a hard time getting over the hump of expensive shipping for a few samples, especially when shipping costs more than the order itself.

Thanks for the updated thoughts, thebeck. I'm still enjoying Liquorice Vetiver very much, but haven't been digging into the samples all that often. A few of the newer ones have my interest, especially the florals, especially after reading your posts. Sven seems to be maintaining a steady output. Rose Polaroid, Magnolia, and Delirious Iris are highest on the list.

Question for you thebeck - where have you (or anyone else) been getting samples recently? Indiescents hasn't received any of the newer releases, I think they're like 6-7 behind. I know SP offers them direct but I have a hard time getting over the hump of expensive shipping for a few samples, especially when shipping costs more than the order itself.
    I get my samples from SP Parfums website. I like to order 3 - 7.5ml bottles and get free shipping. You only have to spend 50 Euro to get worldwide free shipping. Typically Sven will throw in a generous sampling pack. Just request what samples you would like to try.

I have not tried Rose Polaroid yet, but I do like Magnolia and Delirious Iris.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I get my samples from SP Parfums website. I like to order 3 - 7.5ml bottles and get free shipping. You only have to spend 50 Euro to get worldwide free shipping. Typically Sven will throw in a generous sampling pack. Just request what samples you would like to try.

I have not tried Rose Polaroid yet, but I do like Magnolia and Delirious Iris.
    Thank you! I must have missed the bolded while browsing the website, I didn't know that. 50 Euro is easily achievable with the amount of things I haven't tried yet.

Does Powder & Dust remind you of any other fragrances you've tried? And have you tried SP Cologne? From what I've read about it, the latter sounds like something I almost certainly will not enjoy, but sounds equally intriguing/strange so I'll definitely pick up a sample of that as well.

Thank you! I must have missed the bolded while browsing the website, I didn't know that. 50 Euro is easily achievable with the amount of things I haven't tried yet.

Does Powder & Dust remind you of any other fragrances you've tried? And have you tried SP Cologne? From what I've read about it, the latter sounds like something I almost certainly will not enjoy, but sounds equally intriguing/strange so I'll definitely pick up a sample of that as well.
    Powder & Dust is unique to my nose. It's my absolute favorite from the this house. I've gotten many compliments. I went through a 7.5ml and had to buy another. It's either a love/hate fragrance - no middle ground I don't think.
    Cologne is good and has good longevity for that style