Code of Conduct

Default Top notes for floral perfume.

Guys please advise me.. I would not want to use any citrus oils. What aroma chemicals (except aldehydes) you use to create the top notes of floral aromas (such as Jasmine, Narcissus, Mimosa, Lilac) to create a well radiance, lift and trail of aroma ,but keep the smell in the floral direction....?

Default Re: Top notes for floral perfume.

Uhmm...without citrus it's hard...with ozonic ,they always have that "melon nuance"....look at the head A.C. with floral directions (undecavertol for violet/ionones, octacetal for citrus/floral-green mix, herboxane for herbal, rose oxide for rose/geranium, centifolether for rose/citrus/bitter floral,freesia heptanol for citrus/cologne/rose/bois de rose, methyl acetophenone for mimosa/hawtorn, benzil acetate for jasmine type,etc.etc.etc.), but not alls have freshness/radiance like citrus.....why do not you use citrus reconstructions (bergamote firmenich., etc.etc.)?
    Last edited by Geco; 14th March 2018 at 12:31 AM.

I saw this, and thought, what's floral without a little bit of bergamot? it's a citrus, but so damn elegant in a floral, even in small doses. careful, though, i made the mistake of using a LOT of rose absolute with berg and rose gerainium (ROBERTET) and the whole this was a single note. Orris fixed it, and it was quite remarkable how it did. really made the rose note stand out, while the gernaium was beaten down a little bit with the orris, not enough to kill it completely which i didn't want to do. What a problem, a completely harmozined formula. But I like contrast. I also added a bit of musk and Red Cedar Heartwood, just 3% of the formula, and that helped increate the contrast, allowing each top, heart/middle/base transition in a more obvious way.
    Currently wearing: Britannia by Roja Dove

hedione
    geosmin
    helvetolide
    nerolidol
    ethyl linalool
    hexenol 3 cis
    cassis base 345b
    ethyl butyrate (banana for jasmin maybe)...
    Last edited by Faceless void; 14th March 2018 at 10:18 AM.

How about some peppermint? Peppermint and rose goes really well together. Or you can try Freskomenthe, it adds an interesting cooling effect without the heaviness of peppermint.

Quote Originally Posted by needaname View Post
    How about some peppermint? Peppermint and rose goes really well together. Or you can try Freskomenthe, it adds an interesting cooling effect without the heaviness of peppermint.
    ah yes, peppermint does blend well with roses and jasmines too!

Basenotes Member

Bergamot I feel is an entity unto its own and as modifier or enhancer it imparts top character without being characteristically citrus (although it certainly is indispensible in the construction of many citrus notes as well).

I concur with what Faceless Void listed, and would also like to suggest anisaldehyde (IF you only meant not suggesting alipathic aldehydes), floropal, benzyl acetate, para-cresyl methyl ether, traces of damascenone. A mimosa note is generally quite top-heavy to begin with, so I think if you are using a minimal skeleton of mimosa olessance or mimosa oliffac with PERHAPS some acalea you would be pretty solid with lending top character to mimosa.

I generally think of materials imparting radiance as being mid- to base-notes. Radiance is that affect that seems to manifest itself as the top notes wane.

Dears, thank you for your thoughts and suggestions! There's for every particular flower of course I think should be your own top notes. For jasmine for example and maybe narcissus, something from citrus is also quite suitable, but I was curious to know what these guys from big companies use for top to keep the flower character (I will of course use aldehydes!) without transform a mimosa and lilacs into orange and lemon. )) I was thinking about dimethol, ethyl linalool, hexenol 3 cis (Peppermint in minimal quantities can give a huge lift at the top). There should be in my opinion still some ethereal, light, piercing materials but without strong fruit tones (floral only), but maybe they are not available for us..?

Basenotes Member

Hmm, have you considered Firmenich's Coranol and Ocimine?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer I View Post
    Hmm, have you considered Firmenich's Coranol and Ocimine?
    Yes, I also consider the Coranol, of course, although he and especially the Ocimene are still more suitable for creating lavender and conifer, citrus aroma, not so much for mimosa, narcissus and lilac. Thanks for your thoughts anyway!

For lilac floral top notes, I usually use anisyl alcohol, phenyl ethyl acetate, anisaldehyde, linalool, cyclemax and a touch of floral super.
    Last edited by perfectscent; 18th March 2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent View Post
    For lilac floral top notes, I usually use anisyl alcohol, phenyl ethyl acetate, anisaldehyde, linalool, cyclemax and a touch of floral super.
    Cyclemax and Floral super this is interesting and think can be valid suitable for these floral. I'll put this on my shopping list.( the rest I already have) Thank you for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
    Cyclemax and Floral super this is interesting and think can be valid suitable for these floral. I'll put this on my shopping list.( the rest I already have) Thank you for sharing!
    floral super added to the cart!

Floral super is a powerful airy aldehydic element that provides green, airy freshness and sparkle to florals. Use sparingly, dilute to maybe 10% or even 1% for beginners, and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent View Post
    Floral super is a powerful airy aldehydic element that provides green, airy freshness and sparkle to florals. Use sparingly, dilute to maybe 10% or even 1% for beginners, and go from there.
    your description makes me think of pollenal!
    and THX for sharing, i'll get hold of floral super. sounds interesting.