Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Frapin Paradis Perdu

We had a slight discussion on this in the "best green frags" thread, I thought I'd carry it over here to continue instead of going off topic there.

So I got my decant today. I was really expecting the worse, but I actually really like it. I get a lot of vetiver in the opening. A sharp, bitter, very green vetiver. Projection seems pretty soft. I may need to spray some more. I suppose I pick up on the hay accord, I definitely get the grapefruit. Overall I don't find it so unique, and I don't get the grape leaf whatsoever (as somebody who regularly cooks with them). I do get a sort of balsamic vibe from it though. It's only been on skin for about 30 minutes, so maybe I need to wait longer for my senses to be taken on a journey. As for now.. it's just so & so..

Default Re: Frapin Paradis Perdu

The top and heart notes are really good if your are into green scents as it skillfully blends many shades of green during that phase. It stays nice but once it's mainly down to the basenotes, it's just a bit too nice and soft for me. Overall I prefer fragrances that are a bolder. For a grapefruit fix, I go with Czech & Speakes' Citrus Paradisi.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Happen to love this Frapin release. Nice aromatic woody scent with a very juicy and refreshing opening.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Had a sample: gave it *** out of 5.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

I find this one very green, damp and mossy, with a vegetal edge. I think it's an interesting scent but it's not something that I enjoy wearing.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Beautiful fragrance.
    The fermented wine grapes are unique IMO.
    I personally havent smelled anything like it.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Beautiful fragrance.
    The fermented wine grapes are unique IMO.
    I personally havent smelled anything like it.
    Really? I think it is mostly a vetiver fragrance. A very dry almost tobacco inspired vetiver. It reminds me of Beckham Instinct original, only much much better executed.

I don't think it's as unorthodox and daring as others made it out to be. I can see people not liking it. that's how I felt with the Beckham, but the vetiver note in there eventually grew on me. I think it's sort of the equivalent is Dirty English for men were to be a vetiver scent, it would smell like this.

This was fairly enjoyable, and I did appreciate the sharp-green nature of this scent, but ended up selling mine on. Like many Frapin fragrances, it suffered from subdued performance that didn't warrant me holding onto it over the better-performing vetivers and "greens" I have in my collection.

I picked mine up blind on 50% discount (so no great loss) but I would definitely feel a little hesitant to recommend buying this at full retail, when something like a Hermes Concentree Eau d`Orange Verte might serve better.
    Last edited by EasyToAssemble; 16th March 2018 at 04:30 PM.
    "I learned to work the saxophone...I play just what I feel....Drink Scotch whiskey all night long....And die behind the wheel
    They got a name for the winners in the world...I want a name when I lose...They call Alabama the Crimson Tide...Call me Deacon Blues"

Not a a fan at all. I am a huge vetiver fan, but the hay and grapefruit make it smell urinous. Very dirty and urine soaked vetiver. Just didn't work for me at all. Very few Frapin scents work for me.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

**I posted this in the other thread Cologneist mentioned without seeing this first. Reposting, since it's clearly more relevant here:

Received my decant of Paradis Perdu yesterday. I gave it a sampling last night on my wrist, and am giving it a full wear today based on the (surprising!) versatility and ease I sensed in that sampling.

Right up front, I get a massive jolt of spicy, spiky green that's something like angelica and lime rinds, possibly a caffinated, purified galbanum. This reminds me somewhat of the opening peppery anglica blast of French Lover, but brighter; a shade of green that's just as intense and surprising, but not quite as darkly hued. Joining the angelica-ish opening salvo (I'm not sure what it actually is, since angelica isn't listed), I get a gleaming, perfect, freshly sliced grapefruit...fruit, pith and skin. It's the strongest and most realistic grapefruit note I've smelled by a mile. And it lasts a long, long time.

As the lime/citrus/sharp green angelica meshes and settles, my perception turns to this kind of kaliedoscope of every shade and type of green imaginable, and it's difficult to pick out individual notes. There's something leafy, something grassy, something like the sour green taste of clover, vetiver leaves, moss, and super fresh dirt...maybe like a compost pile that consists largely of discarded limes. This is the phase I need more time to explore. The deeper drydown smooths out considerably but remains decidedly green, with a focus on vetiver, earth and moss.

I was expecting something with more of a spicy/warm hay and moss kind of feel, and given that it's Frapin, I'm still a little shocked at the complete lack of sweetness. I thought for sure they'd sneak a little in there. But no, this is a pure, uncompromising green scent of the highest quality. And given how simple that makes it sound, there's a lot of nuance packed in there, and it's completely singular in my experience.

Having grown up with a densely forested creek in my backyard, this conjures visions of rooting around in the mud and undergrowth, and building silly lean-tos out of leafy branches, then coming home for a cold glass of freshly squeezed, unsweetened (the way I like it) limeade.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Not a a fan at all. I am a huge vetiver fan, but the hay and grapefruit make it smell urinous. Very dirty and urine soaked vetiver. Just didn't work for me at all. Very few Frapin scents work for me.
    I can definitely see how the unrelenting sharpness and sourness wouldn't be for everyone. I don't see it urinous and don't get much hay (which would have damped my enthusiasm)...but yeah, unless someone really likes intensely focused greenery and citric notes in their scents, it's a risky proposition.

Last edited by LiveJazz; 16th March 2018 at 10:39 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Banned

@LiveJazz

I agree with you on wearability. I find this pretty easy to wear.

Will be testing it the next few days to see if I want a bottle or not.