Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: Sample Pass - Attars from Gulabsingh, ASAQ and more - WorldWide

Quote Originally Posted by Vmaster View Post
    The package was mailed yesterday and is on its way to cytherian.
    Looking forward to it -- thanks, VMaster!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Looking forward to it -- thanks, VMaster!
    You are welcome. According to the tracking, it should be delivered today.
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.
    ( I came, I saw, I purchased. )

Top 10 for Summer 2019 - Hot Weather 91F (33C) and up
    01. Dubai Meydan by Nabeel
    02. Aventus by Creed
    03. Lalique Pour Homme Equus by Lalique
    04. Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne
    05. Arabian Knight by Arabian Oud
    06. Acqua Di Gio Profumo by Giorgio Armani
    07. Vetiver by Etro
    08. Luciano Pavarotti by Luciano Pavarotti
    09. Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    10. Eau Sauvage by Dior

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    ASAQ:

Ambergris - Overall was salty, rubbery, and oily, like gasoline. Had potent longevity. Interesting but not to my taste.

Al Shamia - Was a sweet floral. Candylike. Fruity with berries and a touch of lime. Strong silage. Reminded me of shower gel. Pleasant, but nothing I would wear.

Al Widad - Sweet and "perfumey," slightly floral. Vague fruit notes. The dry down was slightly smoky and musky. Not as strong as the others. I found this transformation a bit schizophrenic.

Makkah - I found it hard to pull out the notes on this one. Struck me as generally spicy woods but a bit chemical smelling

Sandalwood Spirit - Slightly medicinal rubbery sandalwood opening. Becomes creamy, almost marshmallow with a touch of vanilla. Beautiful opening. It becomes thicker, slightly musky in the drydown. Very nice, liked this one the best of the ASAQ

Additional:

Musk Abiyad - Medicinal and chemical. Induced a mini-headache. My first scrubber from the lot.

Epap Mystery Oud (Special) - Had an earthy, oily fragrancy. Hints of barnyard, slightly urineous. Petrol. Not my favorite.

Epap Mystery Sandalwood oil (SW) - Creamy sandalwood. Becomes bandaid/rubbery in the drydown. I didn't dislike it, but not my favorite style of sandalwood.

Now I'm on to the extras supplied by Purecaramel!
    Nice write up!
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.

02. Aventus by Creed
    07. Vetiver by Etro
    10. Eau Sauvage by Dior

I do have them in hand and have sampled across this week. Have taken notes and need to do a write-up, over the weekend.

So did Diddy ever resurface? If not, who's next?

Dependent

Yes, Diddy did contact me. You might want to PM him.
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.

02. Aventus by Creed
    07. Vetiver by Etro
    10. Eau Sauvage by Dior

Always be smelling

I would pass it to Hat and Beard since he is next town over to you. He can pass it on to Diddy who is thousands of miles away .
    I do have them in hand and have sampled across this week. Have taken notes and need to do a write-up, over the weekend.

Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Vmaster View Post
    Nice write up!
    Thank you Vmaster. I'm nearly done with the remaining bonus samples! Some interesting stuff in here. I'll post a set of reviews some time this weekend and then mail it off. mikeperez is next on the list, so I've reached out to him for shipping info.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Update: I just heard from Mike Perez and he said that he already has tried these when he met epapsiou in NYC. So moving on to the next person on the list, it's RC. Who is RC? I don't recognize the user ID. Thanks!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Always be smelling

RC is the user id. Not a frequent poster. If you can't reach him pass it on to the next person on wait list. Either Diddy or awayalonealong.
    How are we doing with the amount left?

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Update: I just heard from Mike Perez and he said that he already has tried these when he met epapsiou in NYC. So moving on to the next person on the list, it's RC. Who is RC? I don't recognize the user ID. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    RC is the user id. Not a frequent poster. If you can't reach him pass it on to the next person on wait list. Either Diddy or awayalonealong.
    How are we doing with the amount left?
    Got it. I think I found him. It's "RC." There is enough for a couple people at least for almost all of them. Only one ran out, just today, one of the extras that someone added along the way: the Sandal Champal. I'll look for next on the list if he doesn't reply.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I would pass it to Hat and Beard since he is next town over to you. He can pass it on to Diddy who is thousands of miles away .
    OK, great! Will do then.
    Last edited by cytherian; 5th October 2018 at 02:57 AM.

Special thanks to those who added additional samples along the way. Two of them ran out as I was trying them. Sandal Frank Ambergris had only a few drops left as did Sandal Champal.

Sandal Frank Ambergris - Despite having only a few drops left, this one was potent. I did get all three notes in the opening, but the animalic ambergris was by far the strongest. It had that barnyard quality, slightly sour and petrol. It began to soften after about 30 minutes. A creamy sandalwood becomes more noticeable in the heart. And then the incense rises in the drydown. It was a striking blend but I can't imagine wearing it.

Sandal Champal - Opens with a balsamic quality, almost menthol. Then vanilla and hints of rose enter. The drydown was nice.

Ghroob - A sweet fruity floral. Very pretty and feminine.

Ajmal musk - Opens with peppermint! That was very unexpected. Then it's joined by a dark, bitter chocolatey accord. Didn't get much musk really.

Songe de Bois - Very pleasant opening. Some fruit, I think it was some kind of berry and a light floral. It reminded me of a nice body wash at first. But then it completely transforms and an accord of wood enters in the heart, balancing the fruit with earthiness. The drydown was musky with hints of pepper after the fruit has evaporated.

Khus Fresh Grass - Wow, this was a cool fragrance. Like a deep freshly mown pile of grass. Dark and musky grass. Very nice if not much progression in the accord.

Sandal + Cedar - Well named not much to say about it, I sensed both the sandalwood and cedar, but it was not nearly as strong as many of the other oils. Nice.

Sweet Malaya - Really liked this one. It opened milky and creamy. Slightly balsamic. Vanilla enters in the heart with just the right degree of sweetness. Stayed pretty close to the skin at this point. A gentle smoky woods comes in the drydown with vanilla.

Frankincense Amber Oudh - Not as strong as some others. I got a rubbery oud from it, becoming woodsy/foresty. Sweet incense joined in the heart and the drydown struck me as slightly sweet amber with the incense.

Burnt milk body oil - Wow. Very unusual and aptly named. The name practically describes it all. It's smoky and creamy. Embers of a fire doused with cream. Can't imagine wearing it, but I loved smelling it.

I'll be passing this on as soon as I get an address from the next contestant.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Hey Guys and Gals, I just PM’ed Juxtapozbliss... looking forward to sampling and sharing my impressions with y’all.

RC should have the package by Wednesday.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I wish I had a more experienced nose capable of writing more artfully, like grayspoole and purecaramel. Actually reading their's helped me develop some of my own thoughts about these attars.

ASAQ

Ambergris - Interesting impression of menthol/camphor, medicinal soil with salt. Touch of spicy herbs, maybe cumin. One of the more interesting of the set. Sadly, it faded fast.

Al Shamia - A very sweet floral musk. Soft, soapy and syrupy jasmine/oakmoss with fruits. Definitely suggestive of a shampoo. Not my thing.

Al Widad - Sweet floral musk with soft soapy lavender, and some fruit. A slight touch of smoky amber. Reminiscent of a 70's aftershave.

Sandalwood Spirit - Rather dry, resinous woody musk. Very faint suggestion of birch tar. Vanilla softens the composition. Found it faded too fast.

Makkah? - Label was blurred, so process of elimination. Got a bitter woody attar impression from it with a touch of menthol. Very unremarkable.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Musk Abiyad - Animalic and medicinal musk. A bit harsh. Into drydown, becomes more synthetic.

Epap SW (Sandalwood) - An animalic sandalwood, becomes drier and more pungent into the drydown. Didn't get much of a creamy impression as I'd hoped. Does feel like it would make an excellent base for a pefume.

Epap Oud (Special) - An animalic oud with a clean touch. A little nutty. At first I thought nice but not very distinctive, but it takes time to develop. Takes on a faint smoky quality. Very nice. My favorite from the bunch and I want a tola!

Gulab Singh Joharimal:

Mukhallat - Started out clinical citrus cleanser like, but eventually warmed up and softened the edges. A blend of amber, florals, spices and woods started to develop but by then it became a skin scent. Would be interested in a more liberal application.

Ood Amber - dry, dusty, old closet filled with old parchment stained with musk and stale mothballs. Gets better into the drydown but then fades too soon.

Shabab - a resinous/soapy herbal woody, somewhat "commercial fragrance" but much more refined (avoids being overly sweet). Short on longevity. More of a "base" than perfume.

Sharara - Same kind of soft soapy impression as Shabab, minus woods and heavier musk.

Zubeida - started out synthetic, dry floral chemical, but a suggestion of neroli/jasmine comes forward with musk, amber, touch of menthol. I thought it was going to develop more floral, but instead became more musky and herbal.

Thanks again to Epapsiou for enabling this sample pass!
    Last edited by cytherian; 5th October 2018 at 02:56 AM.

The package survived a treacherous journey by Pony Express across the Great Plains and arrived safely here in the heart of the Middle West today. The young, wiry fellow on his trusty steed wiped the sweat from his brow with a kerchief, handed me the tin full of magical elixirs, and said, "I reckon thars gold in that thar treasure chest, the way those outlaws and injuns hankered after me the whole while. Take care of it, good feller. Take care..." He then rode off into the sunset, leaving a trail of dust in his wake, as I clutched it to my chest and caught a waft of the riches inside.

Impressions to come...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RC. View Post
    The package survived a treacherous journey by Pony Express across the Great Plains and arrived safely here in the heart of the Middle West today. The young, wiry fellow on his trusty steed wiped the sweat from his brow with a kerchief, handed me the tin full of magical elixirs, and said, "I reckon thars gold in that thar treasure chest, the way those outlaws and injuns hankered after me the whole while. Take care of it, good feller. Take care..." He then rode off into the sunset, leaving a trail of dust in his wake, as I clutched it to my chest and caught a waft of the riches inside.

Impressions to come...
    “Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.” — Charles Dickens, David Copperfield

Dickens extends his arm toward the passageway within, welcoming you to enter what promises to be an entertaining story.

Looking forward to this!!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

OK, the baton has been passed -- the sample set I received is now in the hands of Hat & Beard!

Dependent

Hey Epap,

I'm coming in super late on this one, but if there's any room on the pass - can you squeeze in my name on the list? :-) Mucho gracias!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Always be smelling

Perfect timing. I think we are on the last leg.
    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Hey Epap,

I'm coming in super late on this one, but if there's any room on the pass - can you squeeze in my name on the list? :-) Mucho gracias!!

16 of the 22 aromatic concoctions in EPAP's Attar Sample Pass -- ranging from Oudy, Woody, Floral, Green, Marine, and just plain weird -- will put it all on the floor in a single elimination tournament to see who will be crowned this sample pass' "King of Attars."

Before the first tip, this let's address the six attars that didn't make it to the Big Dance:

Frankincense Amber Oudh - I was surprised to find a work from Aloes of Ish in here. I thought I was the only one who knew about them! He made a "Tribute" Attar a few years ago that was fantastic. Unfortunately, he was not able to replicate it for the second batch I bought years later. This one is not for me, either. Although I burn Frankincense in my home every now and then, I'm not big into that "green" Somali CO2-extracted sharp note that is present in this one.

GS Ood Rose - Very feminine, very floral, far too "rosy" for me. I like rose in the Taifi Rose/Oud Middle Eastern style. It's very elegant and sophisticated, but this one is that Bulgarian Absolute style to my nose, which is just overkill for me. Smells like my grandmother's bathroom from when I was a kid. I don't know what she used in there.

GS Sharara - Very astringent. Smells like a wood polish or something.

ASAQ Al Widad - Quite fresh and mineralic. I feel like this one could have gone on the "Marine" side of the bracket. No judgement call on this, my nose couldn't really get a feel for it at first sniff, and due to limited slots the selection committee left this one out.

ASAQ Al Shamia — ASAQ had a lot of horses in this race, but this one was not ready to trot with the big boys. It's a dirty, grassy rose, with a side of tuberose in there. I don't like tuberose. Pass.

GS Shabab — Smells like mold. Mold doesn't even make the NIT.

It's all in good fun, guys and gals. Let's be good sports even if our team gets upset, or blown out!

p.s. I don't know how to format the image to make it bigger or clearer, or how to insert the original .pdf file into the post. I've attached the original .pdf if anyone wants to download and view it.

Always be smelling

ooh this looks like fun.

Way to go about doing this sampling excursion, RC. ​!

Always be smelling

16 of the 22 aromatic concoctions in EPAP's Attar Sample Pass -- ranging from Oudy, Woody, Floral, Green, Marine, and just plain weird -- will put it all on the floor in a single elimination tournament to see who will be crowned this sample pass' "King of Attars."

Before the first tip, this let's address the six attars that didn't make it to the Big Dance:

Frankincense Amber Oudh - I was surprised to find a work from Aloes of Ish in here. I thought I was the only one who knew about them! He made a "Tribute" Attar a few years ago that was fantastic. Unfortunately, he was not able to replicate it for the second batch I bought years later. This one is not for me, either. Although I burn Frankincense in my home every now and then, I'm not big into that "green" Somali CO2-extracted sharp note that is present in this one.

GS Ood Rose - Very feminine, very floral, far too "rosy" for me. I like rose in the Taifi Rose/Oud Middle Eastern style. It's very elegant and sophisticated, but this one is that Bulgarian Absolute style to my nose, which is just overkill for me. Smells like my grandmother's bathroom from when I was a kid. I don't know what she used in there.

GS Sharara - Very astringent. Smells like a wood polish or something.

ASAQ Al Widad - Quite fresh and mineralic. I feel like this one could have gone on the "Marine" side of the bracket. No judgement call on this, my nose couldn't really get a feel for it at first sniff, and due to limited slots the selection committee left this one out.

ASAQ Al Shamia — ASAQ had a lot of horses in this race, but this one was not ready to trot with the big boys. It's a dirty, grassy rose, with a side of tuberose in there. I don't like tuberose. Pass.

GS Shabab — Smells like mold. Mold doesn't even make the NIT.

It's all in good fun, guys and gals. Let's be good sports even if our team gets upset, or blown out!

p.s. I don't know how to format the image to make it bigger or clearer, or how to insert the original .pdf file into the post. I've attached the original .pdf if anyone wants to download and view it.
    so who is winning?

Ladies and Gents, I've had to suspend the tourney, unfortunately. I've had life throw a bunch of unexpected things my way recently and just don't have the time to devote to a full competition. I did get through a few first-round matchups which I'll recap below:

In the Southeast, EPAP SW emerged victorious over ASAQ SW Spirit.

EPAP SW was much more "buttery" and creamy than ASAQ SW Spirit, which was woodier, drier and softer. I liked the smell of SW Spirit a little better, but it needs to hit the weight room. EPAP SW controlled the paint and dominated the boards. SW spirit had a nice outside touch, but it couldn't compete for 40 minutes. In fact, I could barely detect it after 1.5hrs which just doesn't cut it for an attar.

In the Northwest, GS Zubieda saw first-round action against a tough Sweet Malaya squad who came into the tourney on a hot streak.

Sweet Malaya cruised to victory with its sweet honey undertones and hay-like, vaguely earthy profile with a side of spice. I liked this one and felt like you could wear it in a variety of contexts. GS Zubieda was floral, very powdery, and reminded me a bit of drier sheets. It was never really close.

In the Southwest, it was Burnt Body Milk Oil's first ever appearance in the Big Dance. They squared off against ASAQ Ambergris. This was one of the wildest matchups in tournament history. Burnt Milk Body Oil played one of the most unorthodox games ever seen. They routinely jacked up shots from half court and resorted to Harlem Globetrotter-like trick plays. It's oily consistency and smell mixed perfectly with the buttered popcorn fans ate in the stands as they watched the spectacle. ASAQ Ambergris brought a show of its own with its marine-like, mineralic base that dried down to an ashy campfire. It was a little outlandish, too, but in a much more wearable way (Though I'm not sure of the best occasion or use for it.) which is why it ultimately emerged victorious.

---

I'll try to get a few quick takes in if I can before passing it along to the next person in line...
    Last edited by RC.; 24th October 2018 at 03:01 AM.

The package is on its way to Diddy, sent via one of my finest homing pigeons. I keep them in a luxurious coop on the top of my building where they sit under sun lamps and drink Fiji water.

A few more comments...

I feel like Aimal Musk might have been a real dark horse in the tournament. I normally don't agree with musks, but that one has the most surprising peppermint top... a really nice surprise at that. I wore it on a night out and thought that it might choke out the friend that I was with, but though spicy and powerful, it never did. Matching up against the sandalwoods in later rounds and maybe a semi-final matchup against one of the smooth ambery blends from the Northeast, I think the power of musk with the secret peppermint weapon might have gone all the way.

Songe de Bois was very gentlemanly and had a "barbershop" vibe to it, in my opinion. Sandal + Cedar reminded me of a more subdued version of The Art of Shaving's Sandalwood (which is extremely linear, of course.)

Finally, Khuss Fresh Grass was so cool and green it almost came off as synthetic to me. I think this one could play well in the heat of the subcontinent, but I've never been so I can't say for sure, though that was the vibe I got. I never had the chance to give it a full wearing on a hot day.

Thanks again to epapsiou for including me in the pass. I am a lover of attar and mukhallat and I appreciated having had the chance to sample some -- which is not an opportunity one gets every day! I'll have to go back through the thread and read other's impressions to see if any of them matched my own (I didn't read them much, to avoid bias/influence).

Cheers!
    Last edited by RC.; 25th October 2018 at 01:09 AM.

Basenotes Plus

The package is on its way to Diddy, sent via one of my finest homing pigeons. I keep them in a luxurious coop on the top of my building where they sit under sun lamps and drink Fiji water.

A few more comments...

I feel like Aimal Musk might have been a real dark horse in the tournament. I normally don't agree with musks, but that one has the most surprising peppermint top... a really nice surprise at that. I wore it on a night out and thought that it might choke out the friend that I was with, but though spicy and powerful, it never did. Matching up against the sandalwoods in later rounds and maybe a semi-final matchup against one of the smooth ambery blends from the Northeast, I think the power of musk with the secret peppermint weapon might have gone all the way.

Songe de Bois was very gentlemanly and had a "barbershop" vibe to it, in my opinion. Sandal + Cedar reminded me of a more subdued version of The Art of Shaving's Sandalwood (which is extremely linear, of course.)

Finally, Khuss Fresh Grass was so cool and green it almost came off as synthetic to me. I think this one could play well in the heat of the subcontinent, but I've never been so I can't say for sure, though that was the vibe I got. I never had the chance to give it a full wearing on a hot day.

Thanks again to epapsiou for including me in the pass. I am a lover of attar and mukhallat and I appreciated having had the chance to sample some -- which is not an opportunity one gets every day! I'll have to go back through the thread and read other's impressions to see if any of them matched my own (I didn't read them much, to avoid bias/influence).

Cheers!
    Thanks! I'm honored to be included! I've not read through the posts here in hopes that I not have my little brain conjure thoughts based on the statements of you expert noses. I'll confirm when I get them, and post initial thoughts as I sample through the lot. Thanks again!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Okay, so I'd like to apologize for having the pass so long. I got a terrible sinus infection last week and haven't been barely able to smell a damned thing until yesterday! I'm about 1/2 way through them and have started to write my reviews, but I can take a swipe of each on a tester strip and sample them so that I can ship them to the next person. I can most likely get to the post office on Monday. Who's up next?

Basenotes Plus

I have received the samples, and O. M. G. I didn't realize until I opened the package this morning that there are 22 samples. See, told you I haven't been reading the thread. I don't even know where to start or how to give these an honest review without having them for at least a month. But I'll do my best. This is my first experience with attars. I do know that you use a toothpick, paper clip or the attached applicator (if present) to swipe a tiny little bit across the back of a hand. I've read that before. Not sure if I'm going to start right to left, left to right, from the middle, or just close my eyes and grab. 22 dense, powerful, evolving(?) fragrances. A little overwhelming. I will preview some today but won't start officially critiquing until tomorrow. If anyone has any tips, feel free to share.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Always be smelling

Don't worry about it. Take your time. Remik is after you and he is last in the pass. So not a big urgency. Do post your thoughts thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hat and Beard View Post
    Okay, so I'd like to apologize for having the pass so long. I got a terrible sinus infection last week and haven't been barely able to smell a damned thing until yesterday! I'm about 1/2 way through them and have started to write my reviews, but I can take a swipe of each on a tester strip and sample them so that I can ship them to the next person. I can most likely get to the post office on Monday. Who's up next?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast