Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default new/old ebay auction tactic?

So less then an hour left on an auction where i am the only bidder. Some one just happens to bid me up to my max bid(1 cent over) to become high bidder. Then retracts the bid minutes later. WHY??? I think to find out what my high bid was.Its odd he just randomly guessed my highbid on the 1st try.Usually someone will try a number and if its still below they will bid again and again untill its over my highest bid.

So. my guess is he will wait for 5 seconds left and just bid a small amount over my high bid now that he knows what my high bid is.

This seems very common and i think that under 12 hrs left noone should be able to retract any bids at all.

I also think that sellers use their own other ebay accounts to do this or to bid up an item.Or they have friends do it with the friends ebay account. if this is true its really pathetic.
    Last edited by conkhi; 18th March 2018 at 03:58 PM.

Default Re: new/old ebay auction tactic?

You're right. Just take your chances. But I think it's worth it for you to report your suspicion to eBay later (if in fact what you think does happen). They can tell if all those other accounts come from the same area of the seller and also if it's the same person.
    They may not do much about it but repeated reports will finally get their attention.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Not gonna lie, I'm a last minute sniper so it may just be an experienced bidder knowing how to win. I admit not seeing a buy it now option turns me off to something that isn't really wanted or really rare. Been on both sides of a last second bidding war.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Banned

well....i placed 3 more bids above my 12.99 bid thinking this person, who bid 1 cent above me (like he knew my bid) and then he retracted, would come in at 13.00 and win- now if he see's i placed 3 other bids since his retraction he may not be so sure what my top bid is. Well auction ended with NO OTHER BIDS so i got it for 5.50. Strange

Dependent

Anything I'm seriously interested in I never bid on until the last 10 seconds. If my max bid wins, yay for me, if not then on to the next item. I also never place those items in my watch list but instead bookmark them for easy access. People might get pissed off for my sniping tactics but if you want something bad enough you do what it takes to win.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    Anything I'm seriously interested in I never bid on until the last 10 seconds. If my max bid wins, yay for me, if not then on to the next item.
    Pretty much what I have done.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Anything I'm seriously interested in I never bid on until the last 10 seconds. If my max bid wins, yay for me, if not then on to the next item. I also never place those items in my watch list but instead bookmark them for easy access. People might get pissed off for my sniping tactics but if you want something bad enough you do what it takes to win.
    I agree. There is a difference between bidding tactics and unfair bidding practices to intentionally drive up the price.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Really can't imagine hednic sniping on auction site. Quite a jarring contradiction to the image I had of your distinguished self.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Really can't imagine hednic sniping on auction site. Quite a jarring contradiction to the image I had of your distinguished self.
    As far as fragrances he seems to get wholesale so likely less then any ebay

Banned

What if you arent home or at a pc /phone in the last 10 seconds? like its at 3 am...or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    You're right. Just take your chances. But I think it's worth it for you to report your suspicion to eBay later (if in fact what you think does happen). They can tell if all those other accounts come from the same area of the seller and also if it's the same person.
    They may not do much about it but repeated reports will finally get their attention.
    + 1 I have seen this happen over and over again. Report it to eBay, and report it the seller. If the seller is legitimate, s/he will block that bidder. Ask seller to block him/her.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by conkhi View Post
    What if you arent home or at a pc /phone in the last 10 seconds? like its at 3 am...or whatever?
    If it's after 1:00 am or before 5:00 am I'll do without. Got to get in my four hours of rest everyday.

As far as fragrances he seems to get wholesale so likely less then any ebay
    Thats what I thought too based on his previous posts and general vibe as he seems to purchase the initial retail release of whichever scent gets his interest going back decades but it was the man himself saying:

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    In response to:

Anything I'm seriously interested in I never bid on until the last 10 seconds. If my max bid wins, yay for me, if not then on to the next item.
    That made me wonder as I just couldn't vision the cool, calm and collected hednic hunched over a laptop during those palpitation inducing last few seconds of an auction as he snipes to grab a deal on a fume. Still, goes to show you never know who is on the other side of a screen and that still waters most certainly do run deep

If it's after 1:00 am or before 5:00 am I'll do without. Got to get in my four hours of rest everyday.
    There are plenty of sniping programs out there. You just set it to snipe at a point before auction ends and it does it automatically for you.

As far as the bid retractor, they could bid $100.00 more than you. It would be their maximum bid. Once placed it would better you, and in this case a penny.

They probably did want to find out what your high bid was, and decided they did not want to spend that much, or saw you raised your bud, and again decided they didn’t want to pay more than your original bid.

Pay for a bidding programme whilst you're asleep, or even all the time. It costs a tiny bit but it's totally fair and you bid your highest pre-decided price. It does the rest without stress by being invisible. Nobody bids before the end anymore, and although not so much visual fun, it prevents falsehoods. It's a shame many humans aren't honest.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

Dependent

There are sniping apps you can use to submit your bids seconds before the auction ends. I use one and don't care if an auction ends at 3pm or 3am - I don't have to be on my computer or phone to submit bids by hand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    There are sniping apps you can use to submit your bids seconds before the auction ends. I use one and don't care if an auction ends at 3pm or 3am - I don't have to be on my computer or phone to submit bids by hand.
    Exactly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

All that is stuff is fine by me, except for those who bid up their own item with another account, or have someone do it for them. I’ve stopped bidding on a Memoir Man before because of a suspicious bidding pattern against me, so I stopped and lost on purpose just to find out my suspicions were correct, and sure enough that same exact item was re listed the very next day...same seller and pics, and still listed as “the last one”.

So like some have said, I just stop when the price isn’t right, or something smells fishy.

Basenotes Plus

It is my understanding that Ebay has shut down shill bidders and also will limit the amount of bid retractions one can make.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    It is my understanding that Ebay has shut down shill bidders and also will limit the amount of bid retractions one can make.
    This is impossible. How could they possibly know how many shills are out there and from what ISP address they will place a bid? Even sellers who are caught and get permanent suspension simply come back with a different user name and ISP address. It is one of the major downsides to Internet auctions. Ebay has been rife with shills for many years now, and they are not going to solve the problem. I do not think they even care.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

I'm a bit confused by this. I don't understand how the other bidder was able to retract their bid so close to the auction end. It used to be you could retract your bid up until something like the last 5 minutes of an auction. But eBay changed it so that within 24 hours, your bid is locked in and the only way to get it retracted is to have the seller reject your bid. Did eBay change the rules yet again?
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Yep, snipping is the only way to go. Bid the maximum you think you'd be happy with. But if that's a little soft, and you might bid more if there's more competition, then it's a good idea to check up on the auction near the end time. I've sometimes encountered bidder bravado with lots of "stacked bids"... where they place a ton of micro increment bids in a kind of attempt to "intimidate" other bidders. It sometimes works on the gullible. It won't phase me. If I see stacked bids, I'll be more inclined to drop more bids to see just how far up they're willing to go (being careful not to bid beyond the last 2 bids they placed).
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

Basenotes Plus

Agree with the use of snipping apps. It takes the emotion out of the picture. Other bidders’ bidding strategies won’t even matter. Just decide on the absolute maximum figure you’re prepared to part with for the item and let the computer do the rest. If you win, you’ll be certain you won’t be overpaying. And if you don’t win, you’ve lost nothing.