Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Default Eucris Edp My Impressions

20180320_102618_Film1.jpg

Well I have just received my bottle of the Edp version of Eucris and it's smaller than what you expect by looking at the picture. But it is a work of art and quite beautiful in a artistic way, looks great on my shelf.

Now the last time I smelled this was in October 2009 from a edt sample vial which had left a distinct impression on me. I remember not liking the opening because of the cumin which I was not familiar with back then but liking the musky drydown.

Well fast forward to today and I sprayed the scent three times, I was only going to do one because it's a Edp but only a tiny amount comes out when you spray so I thought more was in order. What surprises me is it's much nicer than I remember, really lovely. You get a fresh soapy spices with blackcurrant, cumin, lots of moss. It's so well blended together that it comes across almost ethereal in that no note is dominant. The cumin is just a hint here and there and the blackcurrant smells like the drydown of Aventus. It's hard to describe but I will try.

It's a light fresh and slightly soapy dark barbershop scent with hints of spices & florals but nothing is overwhelming. The projection seems discreet and it comes across as something perfect to wear after a shave in the morning. The quality is very nice, vivid notes. Soapy smoky and ethereal. Very different from what I remember and much nicer. It's like it's been reformulated and refined into something a Lord of the manor would wear after a shave. Very easy to wear and very nice indeed. Will update more impressions as time moves on!
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Guerlain Habit Rouge L' Eau
    2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt
    3. Dapper 1959 By Alexandria Fragrances
    4. Chypre Siam By Rogue Perfumery
    5. Eau de Rochas Edt By Rochas

Default Re: Eucris Edp My Impressions

Thanks for the review. I'm eager to try it. The last time I had a bottle was way back fifteen years or so. I remember I always used to wear it when it was damp and rainy - it used to suit the British weather somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Thanks for the review. I'm eager to try it. The last time I had a bottle was way back fifteen years or so. I remember I always used to wear it when it was damp and rainy - it used to suit the British weather somehow!
    I know exactly what you mean, the fragrance has a mood like a rainy day at Downton Abbey. Or something Mr Darcy would wear from Pride & Prejudice when he is in one of his moods as he cannot express his affection for the lady of his heart. lol..... I don't think I've ever smelled a fragrance as evocative than this one. Your mind just takes you to old world places. It's exceeded my expectations and though the projection is discreet it smells really smooth and refined.

My Current Favorites

2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Well fast forward to today and I sprayed the scent three times, I was only going to do one because it's a Edp but only a tiny amount comes out when you spray so I thought more was in order. What surprises me is it's much nicer than I remember, really lovely. You get a fresh soapy spices with blackcurrant, cumin, lots of moss. It's so well blended together that it comes across almost ethereal in that no note is dominant. The cumin is just a hint here and there and the blackcurrant smells like the drydown of Aventus. It's hard to describe but I will try.

It's a light fresh and slightly soapy dark barbershop scent with hints of spices & florals but nothing is overwhelming. The projection seems discreet and it comes across as something perfect to wear after a shave in the morning. The quality is very nice, vivid notes. Soapy smoky and ethereal. Very different from what I remember and much nicer. It's like it's been reformulated and refined into something a Lord of the manor would wear after a shave. Very easy to wear and very nice indeed. Will update more impressions as time moves on!
    Jack, I'm glad you've reviewed this. It's one of my favourites of 2018. I bought a bottle as soon as my preferred store had it in stock. Happy to have got this as it's a huge improvement on the cologne-like EdT - which is also only a splash bottle.

THREE sprays of this? Wow, that's enough to gass-out an army. This stuff is potent! I'm totally with you on the oakmoss overload. There is plenty of it in there. Others have commented how they "can be allowed the release a scent with so much moss in this day and age". I'm puzzled by this too but it is a welcome scent.

To me it also comes across as "inky", very dark, thick and mysterious if I may say so. The blackcurrant is muted but the association to Aventus is justified (to my nose) because of the moss. 50ml of this though is ample. You won't need to spray this a lot to get a good long-lasting scent into the evening. I personally have worn it to work a few times and its staying power is big! I've also worn it in the evening and can detect it on me well into the morning the next day.

Happy I own this!

Hi Rum, glad to have your input. When you get a new fragrance it's like your getting to know it for the first time and the amount sprayed is usually adjusted as you have more wearings. It does spray out only a small amount, that's why I did three. Is that your experience too? Maybe because it's a Edp.

Your right with the oakmoss, lots of it. Very beautiful old world scent, I feel like buying a top hat and a cane.lol

My Current Favorites

2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt

Hmmmm -- I never got on with the original Edt -- I found it too 'green' and I felt that the chypre aspects had gone overboard (for me anyway)

I'll test this version when I can though

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Thanks for sharing your detailed impression on this one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hi Rum, glad to have your input. When you get a new fragrance it's like your getting to know it for the first time and the amount sprayed is usually adjusted as you have more wearings. It does spray out only a small amount, that's why I did three. Is that your experience too? Maybe because it's a Edp.

Your right with the oakmoss, lots of it. Very beautiful old world scent, I feel like buying a top hat and a cane.lol
    It's true: you do tend to adjust your sprays accordingly after a new purchase. I'll have to go back to my bottle and try it again but from memory it felt like a bit too much to be doing more than 2-3 sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Hmmmm -- I never got on with the original Edt -- I found it too 'green' and I felt that the chypre aspects had gone overboard (for me anyway)

I'll test this version when I can though
    You will definitely like this new version, Kaern. They have upped the chypre aspects as you call them - it's definitely more chypre than green if that makes any sense. Do drop me a PM if you can't find it where you are.

That's ok, Rum -- I pop into Trumpers maybe twice a year -- usually for balms though

Well as time has moved onward's the scent smells cleaner with musk becoming more prominent mixing in with the oakmoss (I do love oakmoss, feels like I'm sticking two fingers up to the IFRA when I'm wearing it. lol) I can also detect sandalwood and the usual spice and florals. Though this fragrance is all about the interplay between oakmoss and musk with all the other notes weaving in and out of the fragrance. The cumin as I remember was more stronger in the edt if my memory serves me right. Here it's been dialled way back and balanced so well that it's just a light supporting note here and there.

All in all a very classy scent with a dark sombre mood suited for the gentlemen.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 20th March 2018 at 01:27 PM.

My Current Favorites

2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    That's ok, Rum -- I pop into Trumpers maybe twice a year -- usually for balms though
    Good man! Plenty of good stuff in there. I could wonder around that store all day long for the smells and shaving gear!

How's the longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGrain View Post
    How's the longevity?
    Well I've had this on just after 10.30am this morning and it's still there. So it's been over five hours so far.

My Current Favorites

2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt

I'm wearing this fragrance again today and I just want to say the last time I wore this I got all day longevity. I could still smell it the next morning which is excellent.

Also one little quirk is the atomiser only spurts out a tiny amount that it gets you thinking if there is anything wrong with the sprayer. But those small spurts are so potent that when I went out of one room and back in ten minutes the room smells of the scent strongly. So they have basically given this beloved old barbershop fragrance real legs. And with 50ml with a tiny amount going a long way the bottle will last years.

Anyone looking to buy Eucris the Edp is the way to go. It outshines the Edt by miles!

My Current Favorites

2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt

Basenotes Junkie

This sounds very interesting - thanks for the many updates and detail.
    Currently wearing: He Wood by Dsquared2

I'll probably end up blind buying this once it becomes available on this side of the pond.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of Eucris, Jack. Very interesting. As are the reviews here.
    This sounds like the type of cologne I might enjoy... with reservations about the cumin and blackcurrant.

I should sample first.
    Spring Equinox : with lighter leathers, greens and fougeres, and a few florals. FBs : Etro Gomma and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage and Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany. Samples/decants : Penhaligon's Sartorial and Ostara; KnizeTen, Sec, and Forest; Piguet Futur ; Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur

Smell Good, Feel Good

Interesting review of this! I'm intrigued. I love cumin as a spice.
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour...you’re gonna see some serious s***. ~ Dr. Emmett Brown, “Back To The Future”

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread

The cumin in this Edp version is very low key and only comes and go's for the first hour or two in a all day ride. Also compared from my memory of the Edt the blackcurrant has also been dialled back. It's not a juicy thick blackcurrant accord, more like a supporting note.Think how the blackcurrant note is in the drydown of Aventus. The main players are the oakmoss and musk, everything else plays second fiddle to these notes.

It's very easy to wear, quite beautiful, classy and masculine with all day longevity from a small amount. Worth a sample/purchase if you like barbershop scents.

My Current Favorites

2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt

Congratulations for the acquisition and thank you for sharing - being a fan of British classics, the house of GFT and of a certain dandified in fragrance and beyond (right down to the picture used to exemplify this fragrance, partly with a hint of Beau Brummel, partly the "striding man" logo oh Johnnie Walker), this one definitely moves up the personal testing list

Also one little quirk is the atomiser only spurts out a tiny amount that it gets you thinking if there is anything wrong with the sprayer. But those small spurts are so potent that when I went out of one room and back in ten minutes the room smells of the scent strongly. So they have basically given this beloved old barbershop fragrance real legs. And with 50ml with a tiny amount going a long way the bottle will last years.
    I tried this Jack and you are right. The sprays come out quite short but man one spray of this stuff stains clothes, skin, everything! It's very potent stuff. I'll be wearing it tonight for my SOTE.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I tried this Jack and you are right. The sprays come out quite short but man one spray of this stuff stains clothes, skin, everything! It's very potent stuff. I'll be wearing it tonight for my SOTE.
    I have been very impressed with this scent especially as it goes against the modern trend. I mean where as fragrances have been regulated cutting back on ingredients and only lasting five hours or so if your lucky. Trumper comes out with a Edp of a old barbershop scent which is unusual by itself and it's long lasting with a overload of oakmoss. Must be because it's their flagship fragrance and they take pride in it. It bucks the trend and I love it!

My Current Favorites

2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt

if only it were for sale in Canada....im buying the EDT instead (blind buying) because thats all i can get my hands on here
    Top fragrances of all time:
    1. Mancera Aoud Lemon Mint
    2. MFK Oud Satin Mood/Dior Oud Ispahan
    3. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Cologne/Sweetie Aoud
    4. Acqua di Parma Colonia Club/Amouage Beach Hut Man
    5. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Forte/Heeley Note de Yuzu
    6. Zoologist Bee/Dodo
    7. Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man/Club de Nuit Milestone
    8. Frederic Malle Carnal Flower/Iris Poudre
    9. Nasomatto Baraonda/Gallagher Fragrances Rosé All Dae
    10. Penhaligon's Sartorial/Tom Ford Beau De Jour

Thanks for the review Jack, old world/barbershop impressions you gave will make this a blind buy for me

Eucris EDP has been available from Tumper for over a year yet it still hasn't seemed to make it "over the pond" to the regular USA retailers. Not sure why this is the case but would love to blind buy once it becomes available as I've been a fan of the EDT variant for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysmellworld View Post
    Thanks for the review Jack, old world/barbershop impressions you gave will make this a blind buy for me
    Your welcome, it's a wonderful evocative fragrance. Enjoy it when you receive it.

My Current Favorites

2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt

I would rally like to try this one and the edt

Where in the US can this be found and/or sampled?

Basenotes Plus

I smelled Eucris and I have to say that Geo F Trumpers' scent "Sandalwood" is blended inside Eucris. I think they both smell great.

I have the EDT splash which I put in a 2 ounce atomizer spray and shave cream. The EDT last on my skin all day. Did not know GFT came out with a EDP of eucris. It's a great smelling shave cream and EDT spay. Unless I can get the EDP on sale probably will pass for now.