Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Incense Burning topic -- can we muster some activity?

Hi, Joev! As for the quality of the premiums, I can't clearly distinguish between the three at the top--Translucent Path, Five Clouds and Infinity. They all feature kyara, plus a supporting mix that seems pretty much the same to me. I certainly enjoy all three. My nose is not that great when it comes to stuff like this. I think they are all pretty 'quiet.' They can't pack in concentrated ingredients when they are dealing with kyara--it's too expensive. As for the rest of the premiums, they are good, but the US prices are too high. The best thing you can do is go to Japan and buy them there, or ask someone who's going to Japan. Well, buying a ticket to Japan is also a lot of money, too. I assume that you have tried the premium sampler pack. If not, you should. For me, the sampler was difficult, because of the 'learning curve' required for this stuff, and the sampler has only two sticks of each. But if you just burn an inch or less at a time, you may get some valuable insight. I guess I need to do a comparative sniff of the top three.

As for the wholesaler thing, I looked at the website, but didn't apply. I noticed that 'type of company' and 'website' and 'types of products' boxes are not red-starred. Aside from your name and all that, the only red starred box is 'authorized seller number.' I don't know what this means. A Shoyeido seller number? So, maybe you just have to fill out the application and ask for a seller number?

Another thing I would suggest is either calling Japan Incense or going there. He may have some options for the Shoyeido premiums.

One last thing--I may have mentioned it before, but a few years ago, Shoyeido announced that it would not sell the top three (containing kyara) premiums on line. I think they hiked the price of US Shoyeido premiums, possibly to discourage buyers. So the US Shoyeido prices seem outrageous compared to what I remembered in Japan. Maybe the Japan prices have gone up similarly, but you can't see the prices for those top three online.

The bottom line: kyara (and agarwood?) are running out. If you see some you can afford, try to get it. But the price will certainly be cheaper in Japan (especially Shoyiedo).

I agree about Tenypo. I have the sticks and coils. I find the coils much more intense

Well I guess that trashes 5 clouds for me, lol. Last night I decided to get the 90 pack of Translucent Path.

Quote Originally Posted by joev View Post
    Well I guess that trashes 5 clouds for me, lol. Last night I decided to get the 90 pack of Translucent Path.
    Oh my....I’m soooo jealous, enjoy!!

Blog Entries

Wow! Big spend! I hope you got some freebies. Are you going to burn a whole bunch at once? Let me know what it is like.

Anybody know of any japaneseincense promo/discount codes to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I just purchased some Shoyedo Nanzan / Southern Mountain and Nokiba / Moss Garden. Hopefully, the order should arrive by the end of the week!

Yeah, I've tried it with the mica plates I've mentioned previously, and it's hit and miss, and hit and miss for such an expensive ingredient isn't good enough. Apart from that, I'm not even sure I like oud in it's pure form, and I do have several pure oil samples (admittedly the animalistic hindi variety). Hence my train of thought is that a more restrained, 'Japanese' approach to oud / aloeswood may be what I need. Thanks for the other suggestions - will for sure check them out

Hi, see post #10, or:

http://www.alfaransi.com/10-mica-pla...9mm-1491-p.asp

However, you need to double check whether they ship to the USA, but they should do. They are small, but fit neatly over a charcoal disk.
    I use an electric bakhoor burner along with a dimmer switch to control temperature; just cover with some foil, very practical. The burner is under $20 and gets very hot. Only thing is the little heating element, if you unscrew the ceramic top you'll see it, needs a couple dabs of some epoxy cement where the lead wires connect to the element or eventually it'll burn out there, but for how inexpensive they are and how well they work it'd even be worth it to replace the entire unit when it does. I don't know the rules for mentioning other sites but if it's ok I can provide links. I really enjoy burning resins and I think an electric burner is far superior to charcoal.

Oooh, excited to have found this thread as my interest in incense actually predates my interest in fragrances. I used to be lucky enough to live in SF and went to the japanincense.com store often. I am particularly fond of Baiedo incenses. Very curious if anyone knows of any fragrances with similar profiles - that kind of medicinal, sharp aloeswood found in Baiedo's Kai Un Koh, for example.

Also, just a random recommendation: Target has some very good incense right now. There were several different scents I found when I went there, but the neroli eucalyptus one was the clear winner. Burning it in my living room right now and enjoying the cool, herbal, floral vibes.

Que scay-je?

Hi JK. Welcome aboard. I too love many baeidos. But my favorite house is Shoyeido. Earlier in the thread someone posted their direct overseas email address. I contacted them and am getting a box of Refinment for $90 and Translucent Path for $267. In comparison Translucent Pathe, which I bought from Japan incense in San Fran is $749. So I am glad that the person posted their direct email address. They have all sorts of rules which basically meant I could only buy one box of Translucent Path and one box of Refinmentment where originally I tried buying one box of each in the whole series. No matter. I will now have about 65 sticks of TP and that should last me for a while.

I used to be into candles, well way back when I was a kid before I even had a credit card I used to steal my dads incense and burn it. Then I used to buy the cheap stuff at a Wicca store. When I got into my 30’s though I was into candles, diptyque and cire trudon being my favorites. But then diptyque sold out, literally, and they cut the fragrance used in each candle making them more like background objects. Rather then the centerpiece they used to be. So I’m happy with my frags and incense. Over the years I’ve collected quite a bit of both kinds of frags, and I’m on a long term no spend trip for about two years now.

So which Shoyeidos have you burned lately?

Tsuzumi, I asked shoyeido in Kyoto why Infinity and TP were so expensive. They explained something about taxes and exporting kyara outside of Japan. But in japa TP is only 30,000 yen whereas here is $749 or $799 depending on where you look online. Have you heard of the CITIES act? It regulated Oud and agarwood, including importing and exporting the stuff. It favors the countries where agarwood is part of the country’s culture. So places where it’s been used for 1,000s of years get better and cheaper access to it then say somewhere where it’s niche like US.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the price difference is shocking, very extreme in the case of Shoyeido. Other companies, it is not so extreme. I have not burned any high-end Shoyeidos for a while, but it may be time to do some because the weather is mild and the HVAC is not running much of the time. As for my Shoyeidos, I have big boxes of Fresh Breeze and Circle, so I dip into those most frequently. I have a box of Tenpyo sticks, but I tend to burn through the Horin ones quickly, so I am trying to keep the brakes on for that expensive one. Our local natural food store has long boxes of Five Hills, Kinkaku and some others at prices I am willing to pay, so I feel comfortable burning those a lot. I don't have any White Cloud. Maybe that is cheap enough that I will buy some from Japan Incense.

Among other brands, my large boxes of Kuukai and Shingon are in the rotation frequently. I really love Sho Ran Koh, but trying to go slow--or maybe I should buy a back-up box? The Kaori no Sho series and Ume Shoin get less play because the inner plastic wrap is a bit inconvenient. I don't want to get rid of it because I think it is protecting the fragrance. But not convenient for use.

I seem to be neglecting Kai Un Koh. I really like it, but I don't get to it often. I have a big box of Kokone Koh, so that is really my go-to Baieido. Stay fragrant, everyone!
    Last edited by tsuzumi; 28th April 2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries

Kai Un Koh + Enkuu

My history with Enkuu Horizon (Tennendo) goes back several years--it was a hot topic on Olfactory Rescue for a while, and I was able to buy it at the Japanese price (because I was living in Japan ) So, I kinda liked it. It seemed more spicy, kinda licorice-like, than agarwood or kyara, but still nice. Maybe, like the Baieido premiums, I have some anosmia with this type of stick. OK fast forward a bit after returning to the USA. I found a special sale for Enkuu on the Japanincense site for a reasonable price--not the Japanese price, mind you, but still better than other places. So I ordered a box. At the same time, I have long neglected my box of Kai Un Koh. Tonight, for some reason, when I lit up Kai Un Koh, I thought 'what would happen if I combined this with Enkuu?' So I tried it--it is great. Kai Un Koh is supposed to have agarwood but it is 'boosted' with spices and stuff. On the other hand, I felt Enkuu was not really 'round.' So, burning them together, I got pungent whiffs of agarwood, or maybe just a rich balsamic wood smell, I don't know. But the overall effect is very rich. It is more than just the sum of the two, I think. If anybody has these two, give it a try! As I often do, I am just burning half a stick (of each) at a time. That way, I get twice as many experiences--helpful when burning a higher-end stick like Enkuu.

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    Kai Un Koh + Enkuu

My history with Enkuu Horizon (Tennendo) goes back several years--it was a hot topic on Olfactory Rescue for a while, and I was able to buy it at the Japanese price (because I was living in Japan ) So, I kinda liked it. It seemed more spicy, kinda licorice-like, than agarwood or kyara, but still nice. Maybe, like the Baieido premiums, I have some anosmia with this type of stick. OK fast forward a bit after returning to the USA. I found a special sale for Enkuu on the Japanincense site for a reasonable price--not the Japanese price, mind you, but still better than other places. So I ordered a box. At the same time, I have long neglected my box of Kai Un Koh. Tonight, for some reason, when I lit up Kai Un Koh, I thought 'what would happen if I combined this with Enkuu?' So I tried it--it is great. Kai Un Koh is supposed to have agarwood but it is 'boosted' with spices and stuff. On the other hand, I felt Enkuu was not really 'round.' So, burning them together, I got pungent whiffs of agarwood, or maybe just a rich balsamic wood smell, I don't know. But the overall effect is very rich. It is more than just the sum of the two, I think. If anybody has these two, give it a try! As I often do, I am just burning half a stick (of each) at a time. That way, I get twice as many experiences--helpful when burning a higher-end stick like Enkuu.
    I’m due to put in a incense order soon. I’ll definitely keep this in mind, since I usually get some Enkuu anyway, thanks

I just got Shoyeido Seventh Coil Floating incense, all three. I definitely dislike Permanance so now I am burning the much improved excellence. I donít know how to feel about these. They are certainly less pleasing than most of their offerings but maybe I just havenít learned the incense yet. Regardless Iím going to put these in the shelf and cry about money lost.

Quote Originally Posted by joev View Post
    I just got Shoyeido Seventh Coil Floating incense, all three. I definitely dislike Permanance so now I am burning the much improved excellence. I don’t know how to feel about these. They are certainly less pleasing than most of their offerings but maybe I just haven’t learned the incense yet. Regardless I’m going to put these in the shelf and cry about money lost.
    Oh man, that stinks. I really hope they come around for!

Blog Entries

Oh, yeah. I got a box of the Excellentia coils. This is the top of that line. I have mentioned my opinion that these very long-burning coils are for funerals. The Japanese name of the series is 'Seven Nights.' A requirement (at least in the old days) was to burn incense for seven days after the death. I just burned a short length of the Excellence. It has a dark, bitter base. This same base is noticeable in Kyukyodo's Ichiya Matsu One Night (or Overnight?) Pine. So, again the idea of overnight makes it seem funeral-related--you have to have all-night vigils to keep the ghosts and evil spirits away. Maybe the bitterness helps that. Maybe the bitterness is appropriate for mourning. I don't know, this is all speculation. Maybe I should ask someone at Shoyeido about this the next time I am in Japan. Anyway, I just burned a small segment of a coil. It is better in a small short-lasting dose, I think. Another thought: Excellence could be a stronger and slightly sweeter version of Hoyei-Koh Eternal Treasure.

I noticed that the other long-burning coil series, Ridge, uses lists benzoin in the notes for the superior one, Peaceful Nights. That would give it a sweeter vibe, I think, maybe similar to Nokiba Moss Garden. And the camphor makes it sound attractive to me. I think joev's experience suggests we stay away from the low-end products of these lines.

Now that I have revisited Excellence as a short burn, I think I might use it to scent the performance space when I give a shamisen concert. I need something to burn before the audience arrives (living room-sized venue). Can't have any smoke when there are people around, no sir! But it would be nice to have something that will linger after burning. The Excellent does linger for a while. I am also considering Kai Un Koh, or the combination of Kai Un Koh with Enkuu Horizon. I have plenty of time to think--the performance is not scheduled yet!
    Last edited by tsuzumi; 25th May 2019 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo