Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Devastated at my loss...

I own a large decant of Tonka Imperiale, this is after burning through a full bottle over the years. I got out of buying full bottles coming to the realization that if I never bought a fragrance ever again I would have enough fragrance to last me the rest of my life. With that being said my decant is running out, now Tonka Imperiale never gave me great performance. Even though it gave me average to below average performance I still love the fragrance as one of my top ten scents of all-time. Now, here comes the devastating part, I have heard that the whole L'Art Et La Matiere line has been reformulated. So... I have never layered one of my favorite scents of all time. However, I was told to try Molecule 01 to help with performance. Has anyone had any experience with this? I just ordered a bottle of Molecule 01 and I should be getting it in the next few days. Is this gonna help solve my problem or did I just throw money out the window?
    My current top twenty five
    1. Oud Wood
    2. Herod
    3. Pardon
    4. Santal 33
    5. Tonka Imperial
    6. Pure Malt
    7. Straight to Heaven
    8. L'air Du Desert Marocain
    9. Envy
    10. Terre D'Hermes
    11. Colonia Oud
    12. Jubilation XXV
    13. Royal Oud
    14. Bois d' Argent
    15. Tobacco Vanille
    16. Sycomore
    17. Amber Absolute
    18. 1270
    19. Baroanda
    20. Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    21. Rose 31
    22. Dior Homme Intense
    23. Reflection Man
    24. Grey Vetiver
    25. Noir Extreme
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Let's Dance

Default Re: Devastated at my loss...

I think you should try the Tonka Imperiale at the store to see if you still like it. Better yet to get a sample (2-3 ml), and decide over a few wears. I know that Spiritueuse Double Vanille has been reformulated, but it is still substantial. I am not as familiar with different iterations of Tonka Imperiale.

One always gets bummed with reformulations, but life could be a whole lot worse (but I say this not as an excuse for the companies, who are indeed responsible).

Edit: You can try layering with Molecule 01. In the worst case, if it doesn't work, you can just swap/sell it.

Yes -- I have always found TI to be shy -- even after overspraying wildly

I think Molecule 01 boosts any fragrance' projection -- the ISO E adds a kind of radiance, although on it's own it performs badly imo

Blog Entries

I hope you gentlemen are right...
    My current top twenty five
    1. Oud Wood
    2. Herod
    3. Pardon
    4. Santal 33
    5. Tonka Imperial
    6. Pure Malt
    7. Straight to Heaven
    8. L'air Du Desert Marocain
    9. Envy
    10. Terre D'Hermes
    11. Colonia Oud
    12. Jubilation XXV
    13. Royal Oud
    14. Bois d' Argent
    15. Tobacco Vanille
    16. Sycomore
    17. Amber Absolute
    18. 1270
    19. Baroanda
    20. Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    21. Rose 31
    22. Dior Homme Intense
    23. Reflection Man
    24. Grey Vetiver
    25. Noir Extreme
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

You won't know for yourself until you try it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It's the plague that has devastated a lot of reformulations of old vintage fragrances and it seems the modern fragrances are also been infected. Regulations have restricted so much that perfumers are working with their hands tied behind their back. It's so sad to see all the best ingredients been changed for horrible chemical substitutes that can give you a right nasty headache and also don't last and fade to nothingness.

I hope Molecule 01 helps but I doubt it.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. G F Trumper Eucris Edp
    2. YSL Pour Homme
    3. Chanel Pour Monsieur
    4. Armani Eau Pour Homme
    5. Monsieur De Givenchy

I'm sure your life will go on.

i hate to break your heart man, but Molecule01 didn't help extend the performance of the notorious short duration fragrance "4711". So, I concluded that Molecule01's rumor is false. I wish it were true because it would save me big money when my Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Forte runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Molecule 01 is supposed to be nothing but ISO E Super, which allegedly gives fragrances more oomph when used together.

But to my nose, Molecule 01 is a fragrance all its own and not simply ISO E Super.

Some people claim not to be able to smell Molecule 01, but my wife uses it and it is an absolutely super strong scent to me. I can smell it just walking down the hall to our bedroom.

It's worth a try, I suppose, but I also have my doubts that it will do what you're wanting it to do.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    I'm sure your life will go on.
    Agree with this also. Even if the reformulation weakened it, if it still smells nice, then just carry around an atomizer.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Don’t be disheartened. I’m sure there are generous BNers here who still have the original Tonka Imperiale to spare. All you have to do is ask. I’d have sent you a decant myself if it is in my wardrobe.

Speaking of the line, I’m down to the last few drops of SDV. As much as I love it, I don’t think I’ll be getting another bottle. Reformulations chemists can kiss my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Molecule 01 is supposed to be nothing but ISO E Super, which allegedly gives fragrances more oomph when used together.

But to my nose, Molecule 01 is a fragrance all its own and not simply ISO E Super.

Some people claim not to be able to smell Molecule 01, but my wife uses it and it is an absolutely super strong scent to me. I can smell it just walking down the hall to our bedroom.

It's worth a try, I suppose, but I also have my doubts that it will do what you're wanting it to do.
    This is my experience with molecule 01. It is no magic potion that will make a fleeting edc like 4711 last long. IT is a "fragrance" in and of itself that lasts and is perceptible to some people.

@OP where is the news of this reforumlation coming from? Even if it is true, there should still be a ton of "older" formulation of the L'art line floating around for a while. Dont despair.
    Currently wearing: London by Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I have heard that the whole L'Art Et La Matiere line has been reformulated:
    Don't believe everything you hear: Neroli Outrenoir is from 2016 and Joyeuse Tubereuse from 2017!
    Currently wearing: Monsieur Rochas by Rochas