Code of Conduct

Default Sinan by Jean Marc Sinan

This seems to be a hard to find and obscure fragrance. Would someone please:

-Describe it, I know it is a rose chypre very similar to Coriandre/vintage Knowing.
    -If anybody owns a vintage, how does Sinan performs? Is a fragile formula or a time resistant one?

It has been discontinued in the early 90s, so the bottles sold nowadays are more than twenty years old (and not exactly cheap).

Thank you

Default Re: Sinan by Jean Marc Sinan

Hello Gilturko!

I see your vintage rose chypre investigations continue. I love this genre too, so I did search out Sinan a few years ago.

I managed to get a several minis of the parfum and the EDT. The formula seems to hold up well, and the scent has excellent longevity in both formulations. I prefer the parfum, unsurprisingly. I also acquired bottles of the vintage bath oil and lotion, which were terrible and virtually scentless and so I threw them away. As you say, prices for this vintage perfume are quite high so perhaps start with a mini?

Sinan is an undeniably lovely dark floral chypre floral. The Black Narcissus blogger Neil Chapman captured this genre for me when he called them ďwitchy chypresĒ and thatís how I always think of them now: Knowing, Paloma Picasso, Diva, Magie Noire, LíArte di Gucci. I don't put vintage Coriandre in this group, but I do love it too. I find Coriandre to be a spicy herbal green floral, without the bite and darkness of the oakmoss in the chypre bases of the others. But this is just quibbling...

I would say Sinan probably comes closest to vintage Knowing and vintage PP. Itís not as rosy as vintage Diva, and it lacks that very faint touch of berries that I canít help but find jarring in vintage Magie Noire. (I don't handle berry notes very well.) Sinan may have a slightly more ambered drydown than the others. I am glad to have experienced Sinan, but it is not so essential to me that I must have a large quantity of it, especially when I enjoy wearing the others just as much.

BTW, I had a large vintage bottle of another Sinan scent, Lune, that I swapped (a tall opaque white bottle).The composition seemed to have a familial relationship to Sinan, but it was thinner, more aldehydic, and less floral and didnít do much for me.

Good luck! Love to hear what you think of Sinan if you find some.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Gilturko View Post
    -If anybody owns a vintage, how does Sinan performs? Is a fragile formula or a time resistant one?
    Own the original when it was first launched. Performs very well and is quite potent. Woops - just realized you were speaking of the female version and not the men's version. Sorry!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Good luck! Love to hear what you think of Sinan if you find some.
    Thank you grayspoole! That's indeed a great description of it. Yes, there are so many minis around I would likely fill a 50 ml bottle without spending so much
    I'm happy to learn the formula seems to hold up well, and thank you for the comparison with Lune which is often said it's the same fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Own the original when it was first launched. Performs very well and is quite potent. Woops - just realized you were speaking of the female version and not the men's version. Sorry!
    hednic, your contribution is useful too although you were thinking I was talking about VO, I guess. If your bottle is so old and still performs as it performed at its launch, considered that Jean Marc Sinan launched so few fragrances, I think they will have the same strenght and durability over the decades

I always get confused among the various Sinans. Anyway, if it's the same Sinan that I have, I like grayspoole's description. this is a neon rose of the 70-80s. perhaps the strongest. These perfumes are choke full of damascones and similar material, that are somewhat rosy, greenish, but mostly, really vivid and diffusive. Like wearing bright red evening gowns. Knowing seems to be the only survivor (and probably toned down), and I think that even back then it was the mossier of the lot, the others being stronger in the neon materials.

My only experience with conservation is my mini, which is fine.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I always get confused among the various Sinans. Anyway, if it's the same Sinan that I have, I like grayspoole's description. this is a neon rose of the 70-80s. perhaps the strongest. These perfumes are choke full of damascones and similar material, that are somewhat rosy, greenish, but mostly, really vivid and diffusive. Like wearing bright red evening gowns. Knowing seems to be the only survivor (and probably toned down), and I think that even back then it was the mossier of the lot, the others being stronger in the neon materials.

My only experience with conservation is my mini, which is fine.

cacio
    Thank you cacio.

Yes it's confusing because Jean Marc Sinan's Sinan has been launched in different bottles and boxes, the detail in common was the stopper: a half moon shaped cap, ivory or golden, or a wavy groove in the glass and in the cap of spray bottles. But I'm sure the fragrance is the same.
    Happy to read the mini is in a good shape.

I've realized even the BN directory lists two Sinan fragrances:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211867.html

http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211868.html

Aren't they the same?

@grayspoole, how does it looks your bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilturko View Post
    I've realized even the BN directory lists two Sinan fragrances:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211867.html

http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211868.html

Aren't they the same?

@grayspoole, how does it looks your bottle?
    Hello!

Those are duplicate listings, I would say.

My parfum and EDT minis have similar, cream colored plastic horned caps. The EDT cap is set with rhinestones (so fancy!) and has the "HP" Pochet et du Courvel mark. No other label/text except "Sinan de....Jean Marc Sinan, Paris printed on the front.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

Basenotes Plus

Definitely want to try this one now. After L'arte and Knowing and Rose de Nuit sampling, my appetite for rosy chypres continues unabated!
    Currently wearing: Jubilation 25 by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hello!

Those are duplicate listings, I would say.

My parfum and EDT minis have similar, cream colored plastic horned caps. The EDT cap is set with rhinestones (so fancy!) and has the "HP" Pochet et du Courvel mark. No other label/text except "Sinan de....Jean Marc Sinan, Paris printed on the front.
    Thanks!