Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Considering another rose frag ... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by slickadam View Post
    Voleur de Roses
    Thanks, I've been interested in this for some time because of how unique it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat6lover2 View Post
    Have you tried Byredo Rose of No Man's Land? I've just ended an affair with a sample, and find I love it; in the same vein as POAL.
    They're both bright and fresh roses.
    While I loved POAL, I found it entirely too feminine and gave it to my wife to enjoy smelling it on her on Sunday mornings going to church. I vacillated on committing to BRONML, but just decided to order a bottle (Russia on Ebay - I'm hoping for the best) because I think I'll always want that scent.

Now in search of a rose/woods/incense...
    I haven't tried the Byredo, but Portrait of a Lady is just perfect for me! I'm looking for something fresher, preferably, so shall try it when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    24 Platinum is a really good and very unique modern rose, hardly ever spoken of. Has really good performance.
    The Scentstory one? Thanks, shall read up on it.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Rose Bohème by Providence Perfume

Quite earthy patchouli with fir and oud opening, then a rose that is a soft Turkish rose that isn't the least bit sweet or cloying, with a red tea note that adds some spice. A natural perfume, but dense. While it lasts it's quite potent, the oud somewhat pronounced and barnyardy in the opening. As it dries down it becomes quite soft and can easily be worn by men or women.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I shall definitely take note given that IsoE also suggested this. Our tastes often overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by PianoDan View Post
    From your list I would say I like Une Rose. I would also add Oud PaLao from Diptyque
    I didn't find Oud Palao rosy but liked it nonetheless, need to revisit it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Roky View Post
    Seconding Acteur, but I go for the after shave with this one. Own several bottles of it just because I think it is pefect: Powerful but not too loud, a bit conservative, quite fresh, dark fruity (red apples/dried plums/lots of mossy stuff) with this nice Azzaro signature. These big 200ml AS splashes also often pop up for a good price. Longevity is no issue as it goes for 6 and more hours easily.

First came here to suggest Paestum Rose. I don't get any vinegar note with this one, but it is very, say, "atmospheric" ... in the sense one is getting a minerals/warm stones of the piazza, Felce Azzura Talcum, boiling tomato sauce, young bucks on motorcycles, catholic church incense, slightly lipstick, (yet deeply rose) mediterranean mishmash vibe of it. (Sample first; my praise can be taken with a grain of salt, maybe, Paestum Rose is one of my grails ... ;-)

As a rose lover I'm undecided with Guilty Absolute Femme. Bought a bottle from first sniff and thought of it as an extremely beautiful, unconventional rose with niche uniqueness. This is absolutely true until a somehow common, a bit boring, girly innocent white floral soapy/slightly gourmand'ish accord appears in the far drydown.

Enjoy your next rose!!! :-)
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions, and I am going to try the Gucci this week.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Freed from BN Institution

Freewheeling, I would suggest trying Coty - La Rose Jacqueminot, Gucci - L'Arte di Gucci, and YSL Rive Gauche (women's version). These all carry rose chypre accord which in all three were done really well. These were all part of the Vintage Rose Sample Pass a while back, these ended up being my favorites from that pass.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Pi by Givenchy

Arrow Re: Considering another rose frag ... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thanks, I've been interested in this for some time because of how unique it is.

I haven't tried the Byredo, but Portrait of a Lady is just perfect for me! I'm looking for something fresher, preferably, so shall try it when possible.

The Scentstory one? Thanks, shall read up on it.
    If you like the freshness of POAL, I think you'll find RONML in the same vein. I love the fresh rose without the Oud or other heavy basenotes. That's what drew me in.

Uber by Dueto is not bad either!

Rose suggestions:

L' Artisan Parfumeur Arcana Rose. I like the green woods mixed into the rose - very nice, solid value for an earthy rose scent.
    Sahraa Oud, Fragrance du Bois - although mostly oud, saffron and woods the rose in this gives it character. A much bolder version Rose 31 by Le Labo.
    Noorolain Taif by Thameen - light taif rose with light wood oud. This one is an oudier version of Perris Monte Carlo Taif Rose which is also a nice pure rose.
    Roja Dove UAE Aoud, Spirit of the Union - the taif rose in this oud is incredible. This Roja is slightly subtler that Roja Dove Aoud which is also built around rose and is exceptional. Both are probably too pricey for what you get, but worth a test.
    Top Bottles: • costa azzurra acqua • black leather j-scent • unum Io non ho mani • terre d'hermes parfum • andree putman l'original • tonic blanc • xerjoff nio • no.9 bukhoor elixir • kosmala no. 4 apres l'amour • 19-69 capri • mandarino di amalfi acqua

Heavy Hitter: Roja Amber Aoud or Montale Aoud Safran
    Middle: Amber Nuit
    Treasured Fragrances
    Terre d'Hermès Parfum
    Timbuktu
    Noir Extreme
    Armani Privé Rose d'Arabie
    La Collection Privée Oud Ispahan
    La Collection Privée Ambre Nuit
    Encre Noire A L'Extreme

Basenotes Plus

Just yesterday received a sample of Parfumerie General Isparta and although not on your radar I strongly recommend you take a sniff at it
    Currently wearing: Rahaba by Anfass

Basenotes Plus

Well,

I just blind-bought Charriol "Royal White" due to both a thread by Dimitrios several days ago and after looking around the internet and finding many great reviews for it and then finding it for a very affordable price. I figure, at under $50, and being praised by multiple people, my odds are pretty good that it will be a nice fragrance. I still haven't received it yet. Finding it for under $70 seems doable, but it's not easy to find under $50 like I did recently.

Here is the thread:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/452...rlative-Juice-!!

This review video is by Fragboy Stewie who is a 'rose' loving fragrance enthusiast. I bet he doesn't like a rose-centric fragrance unless it's good and he gives this one a perfect '10'. This scent opens slightly fruity then quickly fades back into a rose+slightly powdery/almost-chalky vibe with a nice dark anchor set of basenotes to keep it masculine.

I haven't smelled it yet, but I have high hopes for it.

Blog Entries

I am coming toward a rest period in my recent Rose journey. I must say, Oud makes rose far more comfortable for me, but the rose-Oud genre is in a large category all on its own and nobody does it better than Roja Dove’s original Aoud trio.

I could say Roja’s Parfum De La Nuit No.3 is my favorite rose, but at $1,400 a bottle it would be a lazy choice. Say what you will about Roja’s line, his rose and jasmine essences are the best going around, which is why he loads his fragrances with them. It’s when he strays away from these two florals that question marks start to appear over the worth of his creations.

Top of my list for affordable non-Oud roses would be:

- Papillon’s Tobacco Rose;
    - Amouage’s Lyric Woman Extrait; and
    - MFK’s Lumiere Noire Pour Homme.

Now Freewheeling, I know you are lukewarm to at least one of these.

Tobacco rose for me is amazing because it combines my two favorite roses - Bulgarian and Rose De Mai- over a sensual base that somewhat resembles Andy Tauer’s famously dry “Tauerade”. There’s also a hint of something metallic that contrasts perfectly against the warm base. Fort and Manle’s Harem Rose is along the same lines and also very good.

Lyric Woman extrait is other worldly. Dark, thick, oily, slightly smoky. All against an animalic base that smells like skin that has only just begun to smell musky. It is what I wanted out of Lyric Man, but never got. The liquid itself is oily coming out of the sprayer. It streams unless one is assertive with the pump. And projecting is good for me, even though it is in extrait form. The EDP version is nice but the extrait is other level.

As for Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, that’s understood quite well here in the MFD, suffice to say it is headed for classic status in my mind.

Honorable mention to the maginificent Dior Ambre Nuit.

Nomenclature holy_wood is a perfect patchouly rose in the style of PoaL. Highly recommend.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw