Code of Conduct

Default Candle Recommendations

Hello I'm looking for high end candle recommendations, in your opinion what are the best/ your favorites available for purchase, it will be part of a gift for my sister I don't know her fragrance preferences but I want to get her something that smells great so anything goes, thanks

Default Re: Candle Recommendations

Anything Diptyque. In fact, I'm burning Londres now, and am surprised at how great the throw (performance) is for such a fresh scent.

Baies is a perennial bestseller and a wonderful scent - a mix of rose and blackcurrant leaf. But honestly, there's not one you can seriously go wrong with unless your sister dislikes a particular scent very much. The only one I wasn't ecstatic about was Ambre, but that's probably because I don't like amber fragrances that much.

My favourites apart from Baies are Santal (sandalwood), Olibanum (frankincense), Patchouli, and Rosamundi. Figuer (fig) is very nice but the throw wasn't quite up there with the rest. Mimosa is a very good floral performer if she's into floral scents.

If she likes gourmands, Noisetier (hazelnut tree) smells like a woody take on Nutella, and the throw is amazing. I've had a tiny, 35g candle which isn't much bigger than a few tea lights, and it scented my whole bedroom rather strongly.

Interesting I was looking into their candles and browsing around on forums and blogs and I saw a trend where a bunch of people were talking about reformulations and weaker candles being made around 2007 and talk about the company changing hands

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by NoNose View Post
    Hello I'm looking for high end candle recommendations, in your opinion what are the best/ your favorites available for purchase, it will be part of a gift for my sister I don't know her fragrance preferences but I want to get her something that smells great so anything goes, thanks
    Check out the offerings by Astier de Villatte
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I really like Voluspa candles. They aren't super expensive, scents are rather unique, and their packaging is great.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Check out the offerings by Astier de Villatte
    I just watched their mini documentary on yt their stuff looks really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    I really like Voluspa candles. They aren't super expensive, scents are rather unique, and their packaging is great.
    I think I can find their stuff locally which is always good to be able to smell before buying

Decided on Astier de Villatte

Rue Saint Honore & Palais de Tokyo

Thank you for the suggestions

Decided on Astier de Villatte

Rue Saint Honore & Palais de Tokyo

Thank you for the suggestions
    My wife buys in bulk from their headquarters in France (more than a hundred at a time) and Saint Honore is one of 12 scents we purchase each time. I hope you like Saint Honore.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Oh that's a lot of candles! I hope so too most of the descriptions were quite enticing, plan to keep the one I like less for use at work in a warmer

Interesting I was looking into their candles and browsing around on forums and blogs and I saw a trend where a bunch of people were talking about reformulations and weaker candles being made around 2007 and talk about the company changing hands
    I'm not familiar with what the performance was like in the past, but it is plenty enough for me apart from Figueur which I mentioned. Londres has such a strong scent and throw I had to extinguish it after a couple of hours. I was burning it in the lounge and could smell it in my bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by matildaeric View Post
    The Luxury Scented Candles are gaining a huge popularity in the recent days. These candles create a good soothing feel indoor and they can change your mood pleasant. Peeled Orange offers Luxury Handmade Candles that can impress you a lot.
    It takes a lot to impress me a lot, and visually those candles are off to a very poor start

I can vouch for Diptyque as being absolutely great! I stumbled upon the brand with my wife on a trip in Paris, bought a Noisetier candle, and never regretted it ; actually, yes, we did : it gave us one hell of a desire for chocolate that isn't the best thing to have when you're trying to lose weight...

Diptyque
    Cire Trudon
    SoH Melbourne... Etc

I feel like there are so many out there now I want them all!

Quote Originally Posted by rtg1278 View Post
    Diptyque
    Cire Trudon
    SoH Melbourne... Etc

I feel like there are so many out there now I want them all!
    Of the ones you've tried from those houses, which are your favorites?

Other Diptyque candles I discovered since last year amd love were Tokyo (awesome conifer and incense, would repurchase in a heartbeat), New York (patchouli and woods), and Trente-Quatre (you can't go wrong with this one in my opinion).

The city exclusive candles are sold online once a year. Last year, it was in September. I will definitely buy some more Tokyo and one or two other city candles.

I also have a Palm Beach candle which I'm going to burn once Summer comes around... If it comes around, that is.

SoH I love Agape, Verdant and Mr. Moss
    Diptyque - Baies or John Galliano
    Cire Trudon - Ernesto

of all 3, SoH has been my favorite. Not just for the scent, but for the glass vessel they come in. 2nd Diptyque which I have zero issue with as well. 3rd place Cire Trudon because the lack of their scent throw. Although they smell and look nice

I picked up a mini dyptique figuier not long ago.. it reminded me of that kind of green you get when you crush weeds.. a lot of people at work were intrigued, not bad

Diptyque of course.

Frederic Malle is quite good

Damselfly an Oz brand is fantastic(also the quote's on the Delilah range fun).
    DONNA