Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Default Hot weather citrus/floral with an alluring base (creamy sandalwood? Silky clean musk?) ...?

My birthday is coming up next month, by which point I will have gone 6 months without purchasing a bottle. I'm itching to add a hot weather scent to my wardrobe, and I'm considering TdH ETF, but I wish it had an alluring base. It's excellent, so I may pick it up anyway... but here's what I'm really hoping for.

I want a scent that smells great in the air, and that leaves skin smelling wonderful hours later after the top & heart have faded away.

Castile does that. It smells gentlemanly clean in the air, and it leaves behind a soft intimate musky smell on skin. 1725 does that too. It smells barbershop clean in the air and it leaves behind a sultry almond/vanilla/sandalwood scent on skin many hours later. Hanae Mori H.M. does that. Citruses in the air with an almost gourmand base (H.M. is too heavy for hot summer days though, and it's a bit heavier than what I'm hoping for).

That's what I'm hoping for, but from a scent that's fresh enough for hot summer days. Not scorching hot, but... let's say temps in the low 80s (upper 20s Celsius).

Imagine Grey Vetiver, but with sandalwood instead of vetiver.
    Imagine Prada L'Homme, but with a huge citrus or citrus/floral top.
    Imagine Millesime Imperial, but with a base like Royal Oud or 1725.
    Imagine Royal Oud, but with a huge citrus or citrus floral top.
    Imagine a summer citrus version of Castile, with Castile's base.
    Imagine Bergamot 22, but with sandalwood for a base, or with a luxurious musky base (in other words, not a prickly musk like Dior Homme Cologne's base. DHC smells so good until the citruses fade, after which, I'm left with a cheap chemical kind of funk. It's soft enough that most folks probably don't notice it, but I do and it bugs me).

Here's what I don't want:

Vetiver. It's usually not my thing (For example, I don't like the base of Guerlain L'Homme L'Eau Boisée).

Chemical nonsense. God I hate Norlimbanol (Dylan Blue, Aqva Atlantiqve).

Ambergris. It's fine, but, eh. I already have MI when I want that.

Anything that smells vintage or old school rather than modern. I enjoy many of those fragrances, but they're out of place for my style. I'm a very modern guy.

What do I need to try? I'm open to suggestions even if they're not exactly what I described. Basically, I want a hot weather citrus floral with an intimate base. And if it's hard to find, can you recommend where I'll find samples?
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Fahrenheit
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Default Re: Hot weather citrus/floral with an alluring base (creamy sandalwood? Silky clean musk?) ...?

L’Heure de Nuit.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Hot weather citrus/floral with an alluring base (creamy sandalwood? Silky clean musk?) ...?

Perhaps Eau De Monsieur by Annick Goutal
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Imagine Grey Vetiver, but with sandalwood instead of vetiver.
    This isn't exactly that, but it's a "watery" (not aquatic, at all) fresh citrus scent with a long-lasting citrus salvo and a light musky sandalwood-y base:

Santalum Slivers - Kerosene

You can ignore a lot of the listed notes, and don't fear the cucumber - it more modulates the "watery" feel than actually smelling like cucumber. I don't find any vetiver in here at all, nor rose. The sandalwood and cedar notes basically tie everything together and give it some backbone, and the citrus holds on for a remarkably long time, pretty much into the base, and it's a substantial and distinctive citrus salvo...if I had to pick some actual fruits that it smells like, imagine peeling a clementine right after you split open a ruby red grapefruit. I'd say clean, fresh, and musky (and woody, slightly woody) are apt descriptors. Creamy though, not so much.

I do wish the sandal was stronger, and practically no wood in going to come into play for an hour or two (on me at least), but it's worth sampling at least if it sounds like a possibility. I've never smelled anything quite like it, and I searched high and low to find a citrus that really clicked with me (Petit Matin won).
    Currently wearing: Ma Liberté by Jean Patou

Basenotes Plus

Eau De Memo by Memo. Test it and enjoy. Don't read too much, and forget studying the notes. Get a sample and enjoy the sum. We'll start there and adjust as needed. I'm sure when I wake tomorrow other stuff will come to mind. Good luck!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Do you like a mildly skanky base? If so, try Tom Ford's Mandarino di Amalfi on skin. Citrus, orange blossom, and a very soft skank. It's suppose to be vetiver, amber, labdanum and civet in the base. My only complaint with it is, like most citruses, the top notes pass so quickly.

A heavier skank-citrus is Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune. Some people complain it smells like cat pee on their skin, so it's definitely one you've got to test. I've experienced it turning urinous on a friend's skin before, and the effect was unpleasant. But on me it's all juicy grapefruit and patchouli.

Not citrus, but fresh and fruity with a musky base is Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil. The musky base lasts all day and is quite attractive.

Also, I know you're going for a modern aesthetic, but Habit Rouge would be great for this.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 L'Eau by Chanel

Boucheron pour Homme [EdP]
    Mark Birley for Men

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Not citrus, but fresh and fruity with a musky base is Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil. The musky base lasts all day and is quite attractive.
    Funny you should mention that one. I have a sample. I really like the base, but the top is too much garden and not enough citrus for me. Don't get me wrong... I completely understand the scent and I get why it's a work of art, but I don't think I want to smell like such a photorealistic garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Also, I know you're going for a modern aesthetic, but Habit Rouge would be great for this.
    Yeah, it's very good but too classic for me. It's not my style, and isn't it a bit much for a hot summer day?
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Fahrenheit
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

I read the subject line and immediately thought Xerjoff Kobe. It's neroli top notes that dry down to a more subdued, magnificent, slightly musky base.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Perhaps Chanel Allure Edition Blanche? Also, I will be following this thread because your description sounds like something I'll like too.

Already wishing happy birthday a bit in advance, also adding:

Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche (in spite of quite similar naming, little or no similarity with the Chanel fragrance similarly named), Acca Kappa Muschio Bianco, some fragrances within the Shooting Stars line by Xerjoff, particularly Oesel, Lalique Homme EDP, Dior Homme Sport, Ambre Pamplemousse Rose by L'Atelier des Bois de Grasse, Le Vainqueur by Rance, possibly even Caron pour un Homme (if not minding the lavender and vanilla being the main notes contributing to a sensual, alluring development, while remaining quite suitable as a hot weather choice)
    Currently wearing: Zara Man Cedarwood by Zara

I get what you are describing from Mefisto. Lovely citruces at the top (and last quite a while) underneath are some florals and when it becomes a skin scent of woods (sandalwood and cedar) soften by florals.

Those citruces are of the very best sort. Authentic and natural smelling as well as long lasting.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Already wishing happy birthday a bit in advance
    Thanks! ...but it's a month away

Acca Kappa Muschio Bianco
    I really like Muschio Bianco. I have maybe 20ml. It's very nice, but it performs poorly on my skin, and the base is mostly irrelevant... but the opening and heart are wonderful. I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in this style of clean scent. It smells so white to me. Clean. Almost etherial, and I mean that in good way.

some fragrances within the Shooting Stars line by Xerjoff, particularly Oesel, Lalique Homme EDP, Dior Homme Sport, Ambre Pamplemousse Rose by L'Atelier des Bois de Grasse, Le Vainqueur by Rance, possibly even Caron pour un Homme (if not minding the lavender and vanilla being the main notes contributing to a sensual, alluring development, while remaining quite suitable as a hot weather choice)
    Caron Pour Un Homme is definitely not what I'm talking about here (I want something more fresh and even sparkling for hot weather) but I absolutely do need to revisit that one at some point. I remember being wowed by it when I had a sample even though it wasn't my style.

Quote Originally Posted by bartholomew View Post
    Perhaps Chanel Allure Edition Blanche? Also, I will be following this thread because your description sounds like something I'll like too.
    I need to revisit that one. Chanel uses something in their Allure Homme bases that bugs me, but I can't figure out what it is. It feels kind of gummy to me. I've seen people compare Guerlain Ideal Cologne to Allure Edition Blanche, and that piqued my curiosity - especially since Ideal Cologne has almond, which I enjoy so long as it isn't toooo prominent.

In a perfect world, I'd hire the folks from Atelier Cologne to marry their citruses to a better base. The bergamot in Bergamote Soleil is absolutely phenomenal... but the base is sort of average mall cologney. Pomelo Paradise is a marvelous and joyous citrus, but it has practically no base at all which is why it lasts a few hours and is gone without a trace. I have a small decant of Orange Sanguine on the way. That's a weird scent. The orange is spectacular, but I'm not sure if the base is as good as the opening. And, really, that's what most Atelier scents are... an opening and a base. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It just is what it is. If they'd put as much work into their bases as they do for their openings, Atelier could be an astoundingly good house, but some of their bases are an afterthought. At their price points, if the scents are just a top and a base, both better be excellent. Seriously, if you haven't smelled Bergamote Soleil, you should check it out. The opening is spectacular - it's the richest roundest bergamot I've ever smelled... but the base is a letdown after that astounding opening.
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Fahrenheit
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Hard to find modern compositions with decent drydown/ basenotes. If you don’t mind its lack of longevity try Rising Phoenix Perfumery Pomme du Soleil attar lite.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Basically, I want a hot weather citrus floral with an intimate base.
    Neroli Portofino Aqua

Bergamot, lemon
    Orange blossom
    White musk
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

I honestly think you need to check the Amouage line, I'm taking about Silver and Ciel

Maybe something like Dia Man?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by bartholomew View Post
    First thing that popped to my head was the Chanel Allure line.

I agree, this is an interesting topic for sure.

My first recommendation when I see "how weather citrus/floral" is Issey Miyake Summer Edition 2009. But I know you're very sensitive to aroma chemicals, and it likely has some which may bother you. It's a beautiful scent but you have to be comfortable with a certain level of..."synthetic-ness."

So I'm thinking of something more natural...

Xerjoff Renaissance 1861: A bold, natural, bright and robust citrus-floral-mint combination up top, but the base is where this one gets really interesting. It features amber and rose in the base, with white musk behind it, almost shifting it in the direction of an oriental. The base hangs on forever, and really creates something of a "second act," for this fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Solaris - Agonist

Top Notes
    Pink grapefruit,
    Lemon,
    Green mandarin,
    Blackcurrant,
    Petitgrain,
    Black pepper

Heart Notes
    Ozonic accord,
    Peach,
    Ginger,
    Litsea cubeba,
    Galbanum

Base notes
    Tonka bean absolute,
    Benzoin,
    Cistus,
    Patchouli,
    Woody amber

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan View Post
    I honestly think you need to check the Amouage line, I'm taking about Silver and Ciel
    Yes! Especially Silver.

The first thing I thought of though was Tauer's L'Eau.

I need to revisit that one. Chanel uses something in their Allure Homme bases that bugs me, but I can't figure out what it is. It feels kind of gummy to me. I've seen people compare Guerlain Ideal Cologne to Allure Edition Blanche, and that piqued my curiosity - especially since Ideal Cologne has almond, which I enjoy so long as it isn't toooo prominent.
    Personally I don't think the two are very close. The Chanel is more zingy and 'cooling' while the Guerlain is smooth and rounded.

Caron Pour un Homme Sport could also be an interesting one to try, it's very different from the original and quite unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    Neroli Portofino Aqua

Bergamot, lemon
    Orange blossom
    White musk
    This is a good choice. My husband wears this on our 100 degree plus days.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 L'Eau by Chanel

Have u zeroed on something based on above suggestions ??
    Currently wearing: Supremacy Silver by Afnan

Yeah, it's very good but too classic for me. It's not my style, and isn't it a bit much for a hot summer day?
    Have you tried Habit Rouge l’Eau — not a typical “l’Eau” scent but modernizes habit rouge, not dated at all, great longevity and base, rather inexpensive... it’s quality, and much more wearable (for vast majority of people) than Habit Rouge. Quite underrated I think.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Have you tried Habit Rouge l’Eau — not a typical “l’Eau” scent but modernizes habit rouge, not dated at all, great longevity and base, rather inexpensive... it’s quality, and much more wearable (for vast majority of people) than Habit Rouge. Quite underrated I think.
    Add my voice to the HRL choir, this is good stuff! I never really feel like wearing HR after I got L'Eau.
    A lighter, more modern Habit Rouge, this will surround you in refreshing citrus, and a narcotic and creamy jasmine that works in perfect synergy with the equally creamy woody base.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Whoa. This one never even crossed my radar, but now, my curiosity is certainly piqued.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Eau De Memo by Memo. Test it and enjoy. Don't read too much, and forget studying the notes. Get a sample and enjoy the sum. We'll start there and adjust as needed. I'm sure when I wake tomorrow other stuff will come to mind. Good luck!
    I'll have to see if I can find a sample of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    My first recommendation when I see "how weather citrus/floral" is Issey Miyake Summer Edition 2009. But I know you're very sensitive to aroma chemicals, and it likely has some which may bother you. It's a beautiful scent but you have to be comfortable with a certain level of..."synthetic-ness."
    Yeah, Issey stuff wears like a chemical bomb on me, similar to how Chrome did years ago when I sampled it. They smelled very different, obviously, but there was a huge chemicalness about them that I'm not into. I don't mind synthetics. Heck, Hanae Mori H.M. is surely a synthetic scent (all scents are these days except for a few specialty items, quite frankly), but it's not screechy. I was tempted by one of the L'eau d'Issey summer editions a few years ago, but it was still a bit chembombish and it had no base at all - just a big loud opening that 5 or 6 hours later faded down to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Xerjoff Renaissance 1861: A bold, natural, bright and robust citrus-floral-mint combination up top, but the base is where this one gets really interesting. It features amber and rose in the base, with white musk behind it, almost shifting it in the direction of an oriental. The base hangs on forever, and really creates something of a "second act," for this fragrance.
    That stuff is great, but wowza is it sweet. I do like it though. If it was a bit less sweet, it could have been a winner for summer even though it's not quite what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan View Post
    Ciel and Dia aren't for me, but I like Silver a LOT. It's a bit too old school smelling for my style though, rather than smelling modern, but it's fantastic. If the base of Beloved wasn't as synthetic as it is, I'd be tempted by that one too (I assume it's supposed to be pepper and vetiver, but I get a distinct one note chemical that hangs on forever and a day). If Amouage released a citrus version of Reflection I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Imagine TdH ETF, Orange Sanguine or Bergamote Soleil, but with Reflection's base. Wow. I'd be all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    Neroli Portofino Aqua
    I gave away my decant of Neroli Portofino Aqua. I liked it at the top, but it didn't last on my skin and I got no base at all. It's another one that hits you with a nice burst of freshness and, a few hours later, fades down to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Himalayan odyssey View Post
    Have u zeroed on something based on above suggestions ??
    I'm building a list of samples to look for
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Fahrenheit
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Someone recommended Habit Rouge L'Eau to you and I think that's one that's definitely worth checking out (it's my favorite version of HR). It blend's HR's powdery vanilla with a nice lemon/citrus note. When it dries down, the warmer, powdery aspect of the base settles in and creates the kind of close, but substantial powdery-musky skin scent that draws one in. It really melds itself to your skin. I always found Habit Rouge sort of hard to wear, but I L'Eau is easy. And as the OP mentioned, it's cheap! I got a new bottle recently for $28...can't beat that.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Basenotes Junkie

Have you tried 212 Men? Don't know about citrus but it's a floral, a bit metallic. Dries down so smooth and clean.

Maybe MFK's Aqua Vitae Forte?