Code of Conduct

Default Xerjoff Alexandria 2 drydown - similar scents?

Hi Friends,

First post on BN (woohoo) after being a long time reader to gather information. I managed to smell Xerjoff's Alexandria II the other day and found the drydown wildly intoxicating. Given the price tag, I wanted to know if any of you have come across other frags with this drydown that may be cheaper?

Bonus question: Is it the type of oud used that gives it that drydown or a combination of the oud and some specific notes (for you more experienced oud noses out there)?

Thanks!

Default Re: Xerjoff Alexandria 2 drydown - similar scents?

I got a bottle of midnight in paris edp yesterday in a swap, I had put it on my hand and kept sniffing something slightly familiar. At first I didn't know what it was but then it clicked. Wait a minute, this smells like Alexandria ii or what?? I thought I was going crazy because they really don't share any notes. When I got home I took a shower and washed off everything then put Alexandria and MiP on each wrist. Now they are definitely NOT the same scent.
    I have a paperstrip sprayed with Alexandria from a sample about two weeks ago I keep on my desk which still holds the scent clearly for some reason. I had also put a new spray of MiP on a paperstrip. Again the opening of the fresh sprayed MiP really doesn't resemble the two week old Alexandria and definitely not the fresh sprayed on my wrist, however the next day (so today) I do find that there are similarities.
    I must be going crazy. I don't think I have a very good nose, but it might be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzschild View Post
    I got a bottle of midnight in paris edp yesterday in a swap, I had put it on my hand and kept sniffing something slightly familiar. At first I didn't know what it was but then it clicked. Wait a minute, this smells like Alexandria ii or what?? I thought I was going crazy because they really don't share any notes. When I got home I took a shower and washed off everything then put Alexandria and MiP on each wrist. Now they are definitely NOT the same scent.
    I have a paperstrip sprayed with Alexandria from a sample about two weeks ago I keep on my desk which still holds the scent clearly for some reason. I had also put a new spray of MiP on a paperstrip. Again the opening of the fresh sprayed MiP really doesn't resemble the two week old Alexandria and definitely not the fresh sprayed on my wrist, however the next day (so today) I do find that there are similarities.
    I must be going crazy. I don't think I have a very good nose, but it might be worth checking out.
    I personally find MiP EdP to be very dissimilar to Alexandria II. I'll revisit this sometime to see whether I can draw any comparisons but given my (albeit limited) experience with both, I cannot see any common ground.

On an aside, my 4/5mL Alexandria II sample is now down to 1mL after a loose lid incident. Fortunately, I've since bought a bottle. Safe to say I've one of the best-smelling suitcases going...

Edit: OP, I've heard that the Alexandria Fragrances and Dua Fragrances copies of Alexandria II have decently-similar dry downs but vastly different openings. I'm happy having saved for the real deal but might be worth a venture?

Thanks for the tips! I've only smelled MiP years ago with a much less trained nose, so I can't compare the two off the top of my head, but I'll look into it.

As for DUA, I haven't had any experience with them yet and was looking into their version of Alexandria only to find it was sold out. Maybe when it's back in stock...