Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

26121272.jpg

I've been teetering on the edge of blind-buying this because it gets so many great reviews and sounds quite nice and fresh and green.

I feel like it might make a nice Springtime scent, but then I live in sunny-and-dry LA (though not so much today), so I'm not sure how well it would work here.
    Maybe it'll go well with our notorious "June Gloom" which happens when the hot late Spring sun brings in the coastal fog and puts the brakes on Summer for a few weeks.

Only one way to find out, isn't there?

Would anyone care to comment on it or suggest a good place or person to pick up a sample of it?

Thanks...

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121272.html
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

Dependent

Default Re: Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

I'm in SoCal as well, though at the moment I'm more inland - in the heart of the desert. Patrick works great this time of the year, or any time, really. Think of it as a very green take on the classic Eau de Cologne theme, where instead of neroli you have super-green young fern, with other "green notes" that are harder to distinguish. Nice delicate balance of oakmoss/vetiver in the base. Kind of very fresh feeling green grass almost. Light, green (very green), uplifting, fresh, cologne-like. It's very nice for what it is - don't expect anything earth shattering, it's just a very pleasant green freshie that stands well on its legs without disappearing within minutes like so many colognes do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by calitrav View Post
    Only one way to find out, isn't there?
    Treat yourself to it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I'm in SoCal as well, though at the moment I'm more inland - in the heart of the desert. Patrick works great this time of the year, or any time, really. Think of it as a very green take on the classic Eau de Cologne theme, where instead of neroli you have super-green young fern, with other "green notes" that are harder to distinguish. Nice delicate balance of oakmoss/vetiver in the base. Kind of very fresh feeling green grass almost. Light, green (very green), uplifting, fresh, cologne-like. It's very nice for what it is - don't expect anything earth shattering, it's just a very pleasant green freshie that stands well on its legs without disappearing within minutes like so many colognes do.
    Thanks, that's very helpful!

The desert eh? You're made of stiffer stuff than I am -- a while back I moved to San Diego to just take a break from crazy LA for a year.
    Only I ended up staying in El Cajon (which means "The Cauldron" in Spanish) because a fellow Air Force vet loaned me his house for practically nothing until it sold. Holy moly was that place hot in the Summer! I loved the easy commute to downtown San Diego though. SD is a great town actually, very livable.

Enjoy our cloudy cool weather while you still can!
    Last edited by calitrav; 3rd May 2018 at 12:03 AM.

For the price it's a very good scent. It's clean, green and fresh with a lemon zest and soapy feel and that's just the opening. As time goes by it gets earthy and woody. Many of us here on basenotes have this one including myself.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Vintage Dunhill Edition Edt (Made In Holland Bottle)
    2. Terre d'Hermès Edt
    3. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    4. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Treat yourself to it!
    Think I'm going to, I've just trying to refrain from spending like someone who has a good job until I actually have one again!

But if I wait until next month to get it, Spring will be just about over, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    For the price it's a very good scent. It's clean, green and fresh with a lemon zest and soapy feel and that's just the opening. As time goes by it gets earthy and woody. Many of us here on basenotes have this one including myself.
    Thanks, glad to hear your opinion on it. Well I just ordered it, so hoping for the best!

Worst-case, I'll re-gift it to my Uncle, who's only half-Irish but acts like he's 100% Irish

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Perfectly described..

I’m in the beginning stages of thinning out my collection.
    I’m deciding which scents I wear and enjoy enough to justify keeping. I’m on the fence about quite a few......Patrick isn’t one of them

This one is one of my favorites..... For a cologne this one does have great projection.. And the price can't be beat. Go for it if your into green / Irish spring type fragrances

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

One of my new favorites! I reach for it about twice a week. Good for almost any occasion, but for me, mostly just a normal everyday enjoyment.

Thanks for chiming in y'all, I've already ordered it and hope to have it by Friday, but I'm pleased to hear so many people like it vs. so few who don't :-)

Thanks for chiming in y'all, I've already ordered it and hope to have it by Friday, but I'm pleased to hear so many people like it vs. so few who don't :-)
    Very nice! I own it and wear it kind of infrequently. I like it, but it's very mild, so I like to save it for a warmer day, and preferably if its breezy. Weird....yeah, I know. The smell to me is 'classic' for lack of a better term. Reminds me of something my brothers would have worn in the late-70's and early-80's.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

It's really solid and for some reason puts me in a really good mood every wear. Factor in the price and it's a no -brainer

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post
    Very nice! I own it and wear it kind of infrequently. I like it, but it's very mild, so I like to save it for a warmer day, and preferably if its breezy. Weird....yeah, I know. The smell to me is 'classic' for lack of a better term. Reminds me of something my brothers would have worn in the late-70's and early-80's.

Do you know, I was actually born in '69.

So even though I have more fond memories of the 80s because those were my teenage years, if you ask me the 70s was the best decade America ever had for music and movies and who know what else. A few months ago I sniffed Aramis and was instantly transported to one of my Father's parties in the 70s...and it wasn't the most comfortable feeling in the world because Dad's friends were far more forceful and masculine than most men are today...but it was a good feeling. Because you knew they were good dudes who'd have your back if push came to shove.

So that late-70s and early-80s era is one of my favorites for a lot of reasons...

Viva La Dolce Vita!

There are 3 frags that come alive for me when I’m out West, Patrick, New West, and Aqua Brava. Blind bought my Patrick after reading reviews here and am very grateful for it.
    Best wishes,

Chris
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Basenotes Member

Boladh den scoth!
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by The Lorax View Post
    Boladh den scoth!
    Beannaigh leat!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basenotes Member

Beannaigh leat!
    Mo sheachtm beannacht ort!
    bb12751c06cfd90cc2fd31ee56bdb2bb.jpg

I just ordered it blind. Thanks for giving me the courage.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Mine just arrived at the Hollywood Post Office, so I'll have it by the end of the day!

*rubs hands*

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Athena View Post
    I just ordered it blind. Thanks for giving me the courage.
    Mine just arrived at the Hollywood Post Office, so I'll have it by the end of the day!

*rubs hands*
    Guys, it'd be great if you kindly post your thoughts / reviews in due time once you get the chance to experience it properly.
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Member

Coincidentally I blind bought it and received it yesterday. I really do like it. It pretty much speaks true to the listed notes. Green, fresh, earthy and dry I would say. Citrus is very prominent as well. I have heard others say that it has a very Irish Spring, smell to it and I would have to agree. It does have quite a bit more depth to it and it changes during the drydown to being even more earthy.

Kind of old school Fern, Oakmoss, Vetiver and Citrus while being slightly soapy. Has a lot of depth from the other notes. Very good quality for the price. Performance is very good as well.

I cant get enough of it. Great scent!

EDIT: I do also pick up the rose every now and then. Seems to come and go and is kind of neat that way

Basenotes Member

For those interested in purchasing a bottle of this scent, I would highly recommend this shop. It has Patrick and many other products made by Irish artisans, including handmade clothing, Irish Celtic jewelry, and other gifts. I have my eyes on a couple of the pieces of jewelry.

Great stuff.

https://www.biddymurphy.com

Just got it!

Well, I've been wearing it for less than a minute, so I'll need time to give a good opinion on it...
    but I'm definitely getting a "what if Irish Spring were also a good cologne" feeling from it --
    which works great for me, because that was one of my Dad's favorite soaps when I was a kid :-)

In short, I like it! In fact I think I really like it...

Good recommendation, y'all!

I think this also available in Hallmark stores.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Fwiw, the box (which is quite well made btw) has 2 official company websites on it:

www.perfume.ie
    www.fragrancesofireland.com

Gonna go take a walk to my local park shortly and see how it does in warm weather...84 today

Btw, do any of you Patrick wearers also own Mugler Cologne?

I wonder if the scents are similar. If so, Mugler must be pretty nice.

Dependent

Btw, do any of you Patrick wearers also own Mugler Cologne?

I wonder if the scents are similar. If so, Mugler must be pretty nice.
    Yup, own both, and both are nice, but... as much as I like Mugler Cologne, it's gone in 15-30 minutes. It's super light and fresh, classic neroli based cologne, nice pick-me-up after you come out of the shower, but by the time you shave and finish everything else - you pretty much are done with MC and have to spray on something else for the day. If MC was stronger and more persistent, it would be awesome, but, it's not. Patrick, on the other hand, lasts a nice several hours, and is way more "green" and outdoorsy, with more substantial backbone - while still being fresh and uplifting like a good cologne.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yup, own both, and both are nice, but... as much as I like Mugler Cologne, it's gone in 15-30 minutes. It's super light and fresh, classic neroli based cologne, nice pick-me-up after you come out of the shower, but by the time you shave and finish everything else - you pretty much are done with MC and have to spray on something else for the day. If MC was stronger and more persistent, it would be awesome, but, it's not. Patrick, on the other hand, lasts a nice several hours, and is way more "green" and outdoorsy, with more substantial backbone - while still being fresh and uplifting like a good cologne.
    Good to hear your opinion, thanks again for recommending Patrick!
    It doesn't make me go "wow" but it's definitely an "ahhh...that's nice!" scent and I'm glad I got it.
    Maybe I'll try the MC when I have a bit of money to burn again.

But for now I guess my vintage Cool Water aftershave and vintage 4711 "cologne water" are like MC for me...
    I love the scent of cool water and really like the 4711, but the Cool Water evaporates quickly (it's aftershave after all) and the 4711 goes poof even faster. But that's ok coz I picked them up for 10-20 bucks on eBay....they're good for what they are.

Once upon a time, I discovered the Japanese have some of the world's most civilized bathing traditions.
    One nice one is offering you a heated damp washcloths scented with lemon in the hot months.
    And in the cold months, it's a cold damp washcloth scented with lemon.
    You refresh yourself and they collect the clothes and that's that!
    So simple, yet so effective.

Think maybe I'll put the 4711 in the fridge on hot days and see how that works for a "phew, glad to be home" refresher :-)

Dependent

Good to hear your opinion, thanks again for recommending Patrick!
    It doesn't make me go "wow" but it's definitely an "ahhh...that's nice!" scent and I'm glad I got it.
    [...]
    Think maybe I'll put the 4711 in the fridge on hot days and see how that works for a "phew, glad to be home" refresher :-)
    Yeah, if you see most responses above, everyone agrees Patrick is not a "wow" fragrance, it's just really nice, clean, fresh, green, casual fragrance you can wear any time, anywhere. As many people have said, "for the price" it's a great fragrance.

4711 disappears on me even faster than Mugler Cologne, so that should give you some indication as to MC longevity. It's better - but only marginally so. But you can buy a gallon of 4711 for like $20, so - splash or spray away, and re-apply every 10 minutes. :-)

Some fragrance makers do release "faiche" or "fraicheur" or "frozen" versions of their citrusy fragrances - basically just adding a component that creates a cooling sensation on a hot day. I don't know the chemical composition name, but I'm guessing it has to do with something that has very high evaporation rate - I think the idea is that something that evaporates quickly from your skin pulls the heat away from you, so it makes it feel that much "cooler" than slower evaporation. I think throwing your bottle of 4711 in the fridge will likely give a similar sensation - and may not be a bad idea on a scorching hot day. I keep my fragrances pretty cool in a walk-in closet with its own AC unit (but not quite 32F like in a fridge) - and even then I think spraying nicely cooled Neroli Portofino on a hot day feels really refreshing. So you may be on to something here, lol. Or do like the Japanese and improvise your own version. Roll up a few damp washcloth size towels sprayed heavily with 4711 and keep them in the fridge. I may actually give that a try myself - sounds like a nice idea - it's only May but my days are already in the 100F+ range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]