Code of Conduct

Default Rare/Vintage ? "Y" Eau de Toilette (50ml/1.6 oz.) by Yves Saint Laurent

Hi all,

I confess to NOT knowing much of anything about today's Antique Store find.

I gambled and took a chance. This afternoon, I found a NOS/NIB sealed/wrapped

50 ml bottle of "Y" Eau de Toilette Vaporisateur Natural Spray YvesSaintLaurnet.

The number stamped/etched into the bottom of the box is 3328. Date indicator ?

At any rate, I say "I gambled and took a chance" as there is no indication as if this

Fragrance was made for Men or Women. I have been researching "Y" this evening and it

appears that the bottle I acquired is for Women. I open the package (from the bottom) leaving

the "YSL Stamp" in tact. I must say, I think it's a nice looking bottle with it's Gold color (all in one)

Cap/Sprayer. I found an E-bay listing that said this YSL was "RARE". I haven't a clue if that is

true or not. At any rate, I sprayed a couple of small blast onto a Tissue and I must say, at first,

I thought "too girly" however, after a minute or so, I THINK I could pull this off and wear "Y" as it

has some nice Pepper. Actually (whiffing again) this is a pretty darn nice Fragrance!

The Antique Shop "asking" price was fifty dollars. Yours truly, Ol' SixCats! walked away with this

YSL for twenty five dollars. I took a chance and (on the whole) I'm OK with this YSL.

I don't think Mrs. SixCats! can complain too much if I wear this one (unlike my Marlou 50ml

d'ambiguite) lol.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...I_QS9B6Je1QUM:

SixCats!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Rare/Vintage ? "Y" Eau de Toilette (50ml/1.6 oz.) by Yves Saint Laurent

I'd call it rare-ish, but not a unicorn. It is indeed marketed to women but, as with a lot of the older women's fragrances, a man could pull it off. Especially, as you pointed out, once getting past the opening. I'll leave dating your bottle to someone more experienced with that fragrance. Congrats on your find!!!

How about a pic of your bottle...
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Rare/Vintage ? "Y" Eau de Toilette (50ml/1.6 oz.) by Yves Saint Laurent

Did your wife get a chance to smell this one also, and if she did, how did she feel about it?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hi guys,

Thank you for replying to my inquiry. Diddy, I am unable to post pictures (I take) as I'm not skilled uploading photos on the Computer. However,

I do know how to "copy and paste" (the provided photograph) which is what my "Y" YSL bottle looks exactly like. Oooh, thanks for the "congrats"

and confirming YSL "Y" being (rare'ish) and marketed for Women. I will have to try "Y" today and see if I can pull this off.

NOTES : https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...ent/Y-100.html

hednic, Mrs. SixCats! has not yet smelled this Fragrance. In fact, the Mrs. doesn't even know (yet) that I even purchased another bottle of Fragrance! Uh-oh.

I will let you know Mrs. SixCats! thoughts once she smells "Y".

SixCats!

"Y" was one of my mom's favorite scents - she usually liked Chanels but she grew to like Y just as much as her fave No.5.

Hi Kat,

Funny, I just read elsewhere that many Woman prefer "Y" to Chanel No. 5. Interesting.
    Despite being marketed as a "Female" Fragrance, I have no problem wearing "Y" whatsoever.
    I find it (at the very least) "uni-sex".

Regards,

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi Kat,

Funny, I just read elsewhere that many Woman prefer "Y" to Chanel No. 5. Interesting.
    Despite being marketed as a "Female" Fragrance, I have no problem wearing "Y" whatsoever.
    I find it (at the very least) "uni-sex".

Regards,

SixCats!
    One of my old Great Aunts always said that pretty much any scent CAN be unisex - it's all a matter of preference and the ability of the wearer to feel at ease in it - her words "I don't care who they SAY it is for if it's a lovely scent, then anyone who wants to should wear it"

Hi Kat,

Right you (and your old Great Aunts) are! I REALLY am digging "Y" however, my only complaint is that (at least on my skin) looses it strength VERY quickly!

This might be due to the (unknown) age (and storage conditions) of bottle/package of this YSL. That being said, "Y" is such a WONDERFUL Fragrances.

I'm glad I purchased.

SixCats!