Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Default Lalique Ombre Noire!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to finally purchase a bottle from a company in Australia.

I don't know what other information is appropriate to share on the board. Advice on this would be appreciated and I would be happy to pass info along either way for anyone interested.

EDIT: Have been helped to determine that iincluding the link is ok.

https://www.feelingsexy.com.au/ombre...alique-306826/
    Last edited by The Lorax; 4th May 2018 at 10:10 AM.
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Lightbulb Re: Lalique Ombre Noire!

This one has been on my "To Try" list ever since it was announced. Can you give us a review of the fragrance and let us know what you think about it?

Also, I don't think Basenotes has any policy against linking to online sellers for the purposes of letting members know how to locate a difficult to find fragrance.

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Lalique Ombre Noire!

I will definitely let everyone know what I think after it arrives.

Will add the link to the OP.

Thank you.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by The Lorax View Post
    I will definitely let everyone know what I think after it arrives.

Will add the link to the OP.

Thank you.
    Yes - please do.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

As a side note, I emailed Lalique to ask about this fragrance. They replied within 12 hours to inform me that it's a Middle Eastern release only. Doesn't seem like they have any plans at this time (or ever) to release it anywhere else. I find that strange and disappointing.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    As a side note, I emailed Lalique to ask about this fragrance. They replied within 12 hours to inform me that it's a Middle Eastern release only. Doesn't seem like they have any plans at this time (or ever) to release it anywhere else. I find that strange and disappointing.
    Confirmed. I contacted Lalique literally 2 days ago about some fragrances and got a response stating that:

-Le Faune fragrance line has been retired for many years and is no longer available
    -Ombre Noire is exclusive to the Middle East and not available in the U.S.
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Basenotes Member

I also counted my chickens before they hatched. I was allowed to pay that company in Australia with the exchange rate, and they eventually told me that they were not licensed to ship overseas.

Sorry for the false alarm my friends.

This news from Lalique itself is very dissapointing.

Basenotes Member

Just saw this new review on T.O.S. It's the first somewhat extensive review I have seen.

"Just got a bottle today in India ...Opening is spice blast ... Dry down is minty with light tobacco ... Its unique in its own way . I will like to layer it with some rose scent to enjoy a Spicy Rose Scent which is my personal favourite now days .Quality of the juice and bottle is top notch and again and happy to get a Rare Fragrance in my collection ."

"edit : Its Amouage Interlude in 1/3rd the price but yes it cannot match the projection & longevity of Interlude ."

"Edit 2 : it did not not.last much on my skin but sprayed it in my room and I could smell it even after 2 hours , plus you get a mint note only at the drydown ...am kinda liking it more !!!"

Read it and weep. : (

I had my first wear of this today so obviously my impression is limited to this. I will state that as a rule, mint and I don't get along when it comes to it in fragrances. Here it is blended well with bergamot and ivy (which I didn't like in Beach Hut Man), to create an opening that was slightly reminiscent of Creed Viking (another one I was disappointed with). In some ways as this developed, I started to wonder if this was actually everything I had hoped Viking could be. It seems more realised as a scent and feels a bit more modern. Once that aromatic opening passes, it recedes into the background as spice, cedar and tobacco begin to take over. The cognac note here does not add booziness as you might expect from other scents with this note. It is more like the tobacco has been dampened by a splash of cognac, and any hint of sweetness comes from this and the cinnamon. It then dries down to resinous dry combo of Myrrh and slightly smoky incense and woods. Overall this is a dry scent and unsurprisingly, great value from Lalique once again. Still detactable on skin after 6-7 hours, but I would describe projection a s no more than moderate to soft. I want to emphasise that I don't think it is a copy or similar to Viking, just that this is really what I wanted Viking to smell like. Paid under $100 AUD for 100ml.

Thank you Melbourne Man for sharing your detailed impressions on this scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Yes, thank you sir.

Basenotes Junkie

I was looking to see if there was any info on this since Maxaroma sent me a Father's Day shopping email and had a link to Ombre Noire.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I was looking to see if there was any info on this since Maxaroma sent me a Father's Day shopping email and had a link to Ombre Noire.
    I posted on the other thread about this, finally available hmm to order or not?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I posted on the other thread about this, finally available hmm to order or not?
    You order it and tell us what you think.

As I reviewed on Fragrantica:

Just got a bottle of this in, havent sprayed it yet, but based on smelling the atomizer, it definitely has some parallels with Mont Blanc Exceptionnel, less amber, more spice. I'll update this when its not 90* here.

Update: This isnt related to MB Exceptionnel. It isnt related to Encre Noire, either.

This is a dry, woody, boozy fragrance.
    Definitely dark sided but not unfriendly.
    Pleasing, masculine, modern, however, not the most natural smelling.

Similarities to the dry and boozy BOIS 1920 Extreme.
    Further away in comparison is Davidoff Zino, but without the patchouli.
    Even further away is Costume National Homme, it shares the strong, dry woody, cedarish base. Thats about it.

Nice stuff, but dont pay big bucks for it.
    A nice $40 and under fragrance for those that like fragrances sharply dry and spicy.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

I ordered a sample of this, looks pretty interesting.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephen Hawking

Fragrancenet has had this one recently priced in the mid forty dollar range with the 37 percent off coupon. It sold out in a matter of 15-20 minutes thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    As I reviewed on Fragrantica:

Just got a bottle of this in, havent sprayed it yet, but based on smelling the atomizer, it definitely has some parallels with Mont Blanc Exceptionnel, less amber, more spice. I'll update this when its not 90* here.

Update: This isnt related to MB Exceptionnel. It isnt related to Encre Noire, either.

This is a dry, woody, boozy fragrance.
    Definitely dark sided but not unfriendly.
    Pleasing, masculine, modern, however, not the most natural smelling.

Similarities to the dry and boozy BOIS 1920 Extreme.
    Further away in comparison is Davidoff Zino, but without the patchouli.
    Even further away is Costume National Homme, it shares the strong, dry woody, cedarish base. Thats about it.

Nice stuff, but dont pay big bucks for it.
    A nice $40 and under fragrance for those that like fragrances sharply dry and spicy.

Have you ever smelled DSquared Potion, edt or edp? Are they similar?

I was kind of expecting something like Potion meets Encre Noire Extreme with booze added in. I

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Have you ever smelled DSquared Potion, edt or edp? Are they similar?

I was kind of expecting something like Potion meets Encre Noire Extreme with booze added in. I
    I think Potion EDP is similar, or I should say their dry downs are similar. The dry down of Ombre Noire, I still need more time to access.. but the opening is easy. It smells like 18.21 Sweet Tobacco Spirits, with a heavy mint note on top. Unfortunately the mint is short lives, lasts about 15/20 minutes at best. If you like that weird "pissy" smelling tobacco, like in 18.21, you'll love the opening of this.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephen Hawking

Heads up, three one zero bottles left on fragrancenet.
    Last edited by Shiny Beast; 4th July 2018 at 04:01 AM.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

So I finally got a good grasp on this one. I definitely like most of it.. but there's a note in the opening that comes out too strong, that winds up smelling like urine.

So the opening is 18.21 Sweet Tobacco Spirits mixed with Baraonda or McGraw Southern Blend, with an added hefty dose of mint. In my notes, I wrote down "hint of coconut smell".. and now after reading the notes I see fig leaf is listed in this one, so I guess that's what I'm getting.

I do see why people say it smells like Exceptionnel. Which smells kind of like Dunhill Pursuit. Ironically they are all ambery colored fragrances, but they don't smell like one another, however they all do have the same vibe, in being ambery, resinous, and spicy, and dry, while simultaneously sweet, but the sweetness smelling natural and not sugary or synthetic.

It dries down mostly to a very similar fragrance to McGraw Southern Blend, which is a cheapy that gets slept on, a very good spicy boozy fragrance.

I'll hope and wait for a price drop, I think at $40 or so a bottle this will be awesome, but at the current prices, still at about $90 a bottle on most sites, it's too expensive. Not because it lacks in quality because it doesn't If you plan on wearing this a lot, then it's worth it, but I don't see myself wearing this one often, however, I do really like it. Took me by surprise. Has a lot of facets, and a lot going on. It's not really a tobacco fragrance, it's a whiskey fragrance. Which is fine by me, since there are few whiskey fragrances that are this good of quality out there.

Banned

thanx for the review

Basenotes Plus

Wearing this one today and it definitely has similarities with MB Exceptionnel and Southern Blend in that it's dark, spicy and boozy. I must have missed the mintiness in the opening but I'm getting coffee notes.

I'm just bumping this thread as I have interest in Ombre Noire. Anyone have any additional input on this one? - Thanks.

Since posting back May on this scent, have acquired it and like it quite a bit.

Thanks guys. Question, one review says it is similar to Viking, and is what Viking should have been. Any merit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattybumpkin View Post
    Thanks guys. Question, one review says it is similar to Viking, and is what Viking should have been. Any merit?
    I have just seen a couple of bottles available at a good price and a sample also on EBay if your up to a try.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by PaTomas View Post
    I have just seen a couple of bottles available at a good price and a sample also on EBay if your up to a try.
    Thanks. Yeah, I decided to go with a 5ml sample, will be here by Wed., excited to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattybumpkin View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, I decided to go with a 5ml sample, will be here by Wed., excited to try it!
    I grabbed a bottle! It's Christmas time
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.