Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hey all! Whatcha think, CARON "YATAGAN" DAY ?

Hi all,

OK, it's no secret that (on the whole) I prefer "Niche" Fragrances. For the most part,

I just find "Niche" Fragrances more to my liking. That being said, I do NOT consider myself

a "Niche Snob". Not only do I own/wear many "Designer" Fragrances, I have absolutely NO

problem buying (used) Fragrances from the likes of "Yard Sales/Thrift Shops/Antique Shops" etc.

Now, my TOP SHELF Fragrances are all "Niche" Fragrances (except for one!)

Sitting proudly right along side the like of : SMN Acqua di Cuba, Christian Dior Eau Sauvage

Parfume (2012), L'Artisan Dzing!, 50ml Marlou d'ambiguite, etc. etc. etc. is the ONE "Designer"

Fragrance that I consider (not only one of the best Designer Fragrance) but one of THE best

Fragrances period. I am speaking of course of CARON YATAGAN!

I can not believe how OUTSTANDING a Fragrance is YATAGAN. In fact, I find myself reaching

for Yatagan perhaps more than any other Fragrance in my collection. I find this pretty amazing in

light that the price of CARON YATAGAN is 1/4 to 1/5 the cost of many of my favorite

(albeit expensive) "Niche" Fragrances. What can I say ? I am LOVING "YATAGAN!"

Is it any wonder that CARON YATAGAN is considered one of THE best (deals) in Fragrances.

I mean, 4.2 oz. bottle of YATAGAN for LESS than $30.00 a bottle! In my humble opinion,

perhaps only BOGART "Signature" and "Encre Noire Lalique" could be considered equally best

deals. I truly believe YATAGAN can easily "hang in there" with any of my "Heavy Hitters!"

If others here at Basenotes happen to share my love of YATAGAN, perhaps we should declare

"YATAGAN DAY". Old timer BN members may recall when we had CUIRON DAY!

At any rate, I thought it just might be fun if we pick a DAY and all wear YATAGAN.

Thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

YATAGAN : https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...sword.1533866/

Regards,
    SixCats!

Default Re: Hey all! Whatcha think, CARON "YATAGAN" DAY ?

nah

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    At any rate, I thought it just might be fun.
    I would gladly participate but for me, it would depend on when you are planning on doing it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Cut, I take it you are not a fan of Yatagan eh ?

hedic, the DAY would be what we (who are interested) decide would be the best time/day/date. I'm open to all suggestions.

SixCats!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'm in. Yatagan is a classic!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Alright hedic and Red!

SixCats!

Truth be told...I have never smelled Yatagan.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Dependent

It is a classic but....... it's a big 4.2oz of "meh" to me. Just doesn't move me - at all. I blind bought several of the most recommended/most popular Caron fragrances, and don't care for a single one. I understand a lot of people like them, but personally - I found them all hugely underwhelming, uninspired, and... boring...? Sorry, I'm swimming against the current here, I know, but that's how I feel about these "most popular" releases from Caron. :-/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

remik,

I'm shocked, shocked.....

Well Sir (seriously) I understand. Fragrances sure can be a funny thing. Since my return to BN,

I have tired samples of some of THE most recommended Fragrances. Now, of these samples, not one

was bad per se but, there were several samples that many here at BN are "over the Moon" for that, while nice, I find just ok.

I think that what makes this hobby so much fun and interesting. Heck, I'm a PRIME example, that is to say, I'm the guy who

LOVES (what most would consider) "ODD BALL" Fragrances that a large percentage of people would consider "Disgusting!"

Years ago, I owned Yatagan. I liked it but, I soon grew tired of it and sold/traded it away. I'm not sure why but, at the time, I just didn't "dig"

Yatagan enough to keep in my collection. Flash forward ten (or more) years and today, I can't get enough Yatagan! I find it Interesting

how one's taste in Fragrances change over the years. I must say, I am a BIG fan of the House of Caron (especially) considering there bargain

price. I own Caron 3rd. Man, Caron ph Sport homme and of course Yatagan. I am also considering the purchase of Caron per Homme and

L'anarchiste.

SixCats!
    Last edited by SixCats; 16th May 2018 at 01:08 AM.

I picked up a bottle of Yatagan in the last year. I enjoy it, find it interesting, and use it as a point of reference. I'm up for a Yatagan synchronization.

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange is a nice Yatagan smell-alike.

Sixcats:
    IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG

Cutsmut:
    meh
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

SixCats.....c'mon, sir! You know me! I am old-school and open-minded. I would need to get some of it, but YES, I would gladly partake in a Yatagan Synchro-Scent Day!

Maybe even once a season!
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Plus

I think you'll need a woman to bring some balance to this festival, and I hereby volunteer. I love Yatagan. It makes me feel like a Lumberjill.

Cook,

LOL, (singing) : "I'm a LumberJILL and I'm OK, I sleep all Night and work all Day!"

Welcome to the beginnings of "YATAGAN DAY!" (TBA).

SixCats!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I have Pour Un Homme but that's my only Caron so far.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

I'm on-board. Haven't given it a solid wear yet but no carrots for me! New formulation is fine for me.

Last edited by Trauerkraut; 5th May 2018 at 06:29 AM.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

I'm in

Hi all,

Ah! This is good! We have a small (but growing) group of Folks who would like to take part in "Yatagan Day"!

Now, we just need to figure out WHEN to celebrate "Yatagan Day". Last night, I was thinking perhaps the French Holiday

of "Bastille Day" July 14th. (which also just happens to be "Yours Truly" SixCats! Birthday) might be a good day as this would

allow plenty of time for those who don't yet own "Yatagan" to purchase a bottle/sample/decant of this wonderful (unique) Caron Fragrance

and join in the "Olfactory" fun! Thoughts ?

SixCats!

Basenotes Plus

I can not believe how OUTSTANDING a Fragrance is YATAGAN. In fact, I find myself reaching

for Yatagan perhaps more than any other Fragrance in my collection. I find this pretty amazing in

light that the price of CARON YATAGAN is 1/4 to 1/5 the cost of many of my favorite

(albeit expensive) "Niche" Fragrances. What can I say ? I am LOVING "YATAGAN!"
    If your rapturous prose is for the current version, I wonder what you'd write for the superior vintage?

Vintage is richer, has a much more pronounced animalic note (castoreum), and is even a bit oily rather than just thin alcohol.

The prices it commands vary, but expect to pay from $100-250 for vintage Yatagan, depending on if used, in a sealed box, etc.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Hi all,

Ah! This is good! We have a small (but growing) group of Folks who would like to take part in "Yatagan Day"!

Now, we just need to figure out WHEN to celebrate "Yatagan Day". Last night, I was thinking perhaps the French Holiday

of "Bastille Day" July 14th. (which also just happens to be "Yours Truly" SixCats! Birthday) might be a good day as this would

allow plenty of time for those who don't yet own "Yatagan" to purchase a bottle/sample/decant of this wonderful (unique) Caron Fragrance

SixCats!
    That date would work for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hi Scarce,

Pray tell, what YEAR/YEARS would be considered "Vintage" Yatagan ?

I'd love to try some old "Juice" Yatagan! I for sure will keep an Eye open for "Vintage Yatagan" during my search for "used (and/or Vintage NIB)

Fragrances from the likes of "Flea Markets/Yard Sales/Estate Sales/etc. I recently found TWO unopened/sealed NIB/NOS bottles of Vintage'ish

Colognes/Perfumes in the last couple of weeks, One being ROCHAS "FEMME" and the other "YSL-Y". I VERY much like them both! Ahhhh, the

THRILL of the hunt!

hednic, glad you are liking the date JULY 14th. I hope to hear from others soon. Thanks.

SixCats!

I’m in! The current Yatagan is one of my all-time favorites, and I’m about to get a bottle of the vintage if the Ebay gods treat me well. It’s nice to have a dry animalic (woody herbal leather) that’s wearable in summer.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 5th May 2018 at 08:58 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Dependent

remik,

I'm shocked, shocked.....

Well Sir (seriously) I understand. Fragrances sure can be a funny thing.
    Indeed. :-) I've learned to enjoy and even seek fragrances with notes I used to despise in years past. And I've made a 180-degree change on a few fragrances over the years, so anything is possible.

Not saying these Carons smelled bad to me, they are pleasant and "nice" and wearable, just are missing that something special that makes a fragrance carve its space in your scent memory and want to revisit it over and over. Case in point, after I wrote that comment yesterday, I sprayed Yatagan on a test strip and was sniffing it throught the rest of the day and this morning (yes, it's still highly detectable), and I get that strong herbal tone, definitely vintage 70's vibe, with dried pine needles and pine cones, on a bed of dry forest detritus. It's dry, assertive, which I should like, but - missing that "sparkle"... I do not dislike it, I just feel bored with it before I even spray it on. That's all.

Carry on with the Yatagan Day without me... I'll join you some other day on a different synchronized-fragrance day. :-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi all,

SixCats!
    Loop me in, sir! I can easily get a bottle by 07-14-18.

Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Excellent Richie!

Remik, I hear you my friend. It's truly all soooooo subjective and (least we forget) BODY CHEMISTRY has everything to do with

how we perceive any given Fragrance. Case in point, Basenotes member "Man of the World" just asked me if I would list some of

my favorite Fragrances since my return to BN. Of samples (IMHO one of THE best samples I've tried) is :

Masque Milano "MONTECRISTO".

Remik, take a gander at some of these (Ying Yang) Comments regarding "MONTECRISTO".

This (in part) is what makes this hobby so damn much fun :

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...sto-20503.html

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I’m in! The current Yatagan is one of my all-time favorites, and I’m about to get a bottle of the vintage if the Ebay gods treat me well. It’s nice to have a dry animalic that’s wearable in summer.
    my thoughts, really! Great Summer scent! 14th of July could be a great day!

Dependent

Masque Milano "MONTECRISTO".

Remik, take a gander at some of these (Ying Yang) Comments regarding "MONTECRISTO".
    Got it in 2013 when it first came out. It used to be in a different bottle back then - the one being sold today may have been reformulated, for all we know (can anyone confirm?).

Here's what the original "vintage" bottle looks like:

It's definitely a smelly beast - I find it extremely difficult to wear in public.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I think you'll need a woman to bring some balance to this festival, and I hereby volunteer. I love Yatagan. It makes me feel like a Lumberjill.
    Lumberjill No 2, reporting for duty!

(And how appropriate for my 2,222nd post.)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Got it in 2013 when it first came out. It used to be in a different bottle back then - the one being sold today may have been reformulated, for all we know (can anyone confirm?).

It's definitely a smelly beast - I find it extremely difficult to wear in public.
    Yeah, it's been reformed for sure, when the bottle changed. Not too mangled, but it's tamed a little. And they jacked up the price, too.

I love Montecristo, but I'm way too chicken to wear it in public. That's okay, though; I also have pajamas I really love, and I wouldn't wear those out in public. It's fine with me to keep some pleasures to myself.