Code of Conduct

Default Have I got a fake Tsar?!

Hi all.
    Apologies in advance for the negative nature of this post.
    I wanted to try VCA Tsar for a while and was enthused to see a sample seller on eBay.
    I received today and it's totally NOT what I was expecting from the reviews and notes.
    I expected something very green and akin to Polo Green, however I'm just getting a generic 'aftershavey'/ Vaseline hair tonic smell , closest in my recollection to Red Giorgio BH?
    Have I been duped ?!
    From what I gathered it should be green green green?!
    Thanks in advance 😉

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Have I got a fake Tsar?!

Haven't heard of this being faked, but anything I guess is possible. People's perceptions of scents are all over the place. I find it green but not overly green.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hi Ifti, was the sample a decant in an atomiser? If the seller had good feedback my experience has always been that you'll generally get what you request as any decent seller won't risk negative feedback over a small decant - especially given that Tsar isn't worth a fortune. Tsar smells dusty, dry and herbal but thinner, cleaner and less smoky than Polo. It's quite sharp and I suppose could be perceived as a 'aftershavey' or hair tonic-like smell as it's pretty old school in style.

It should definitely smell like a green fragrance -- not ONLY green, but green for sure!

I was a big fan of the original Polo as I wore it as a kid and I can smell a vague resemblance. You'd never confuse the two, but I think liking 70s or 80s Polo is a pretty good indication that you should probably like Tsar. So your description of it is surprising.

Here's the list of notes found on the back of my bottle:

Top: Artemisia, Lavender, ROSEMARY, Bergamot, Basil
    Heart: PINE, Geranium, Jasmine, Cedarwood
    Base: Oakmoss, VETIVER, Amber, Sandalwood

So that's mighty green from top to bottom!

I picked up my bottle here for just $25+tax and love it, especially for the price. You should be able to find one for around $30 with no trouble.
    It's at least a 4/5 scent for me...although maybe I should try something like Creed Original Vetiver before I call it a 5/5.

According to checkfresh.com my bottle is a 2014. I heard the older versions were a bit better but I've yet to try one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TSAR-by-Van...72.m2749.l2649
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Hi Ifti, was the sample a decant in an atomiser? If the seller had good feedback my experience has always been that you'll generally get what you request as any decent seller won't risk negative feedback over a small decant - especially given that Tsar isn't worth a fortune. Tsar smells dusty, dry and herbal but thinner, cleaner and less smoky than Polo. It's quite sharp and I suppose could be perceived as a 'aftershavey' or hair tonic-like smell as it's pretty old school in style.
    Ey up!
    Ah yes it's a decant in atomiser.
    I've just checked the seller and has good ratings and other vintage frag samples for sale.
    It's apparently a vintage aftershave decant. Lol I guess it's just me who hasn't clicked with it! I'm just getting 'dollar-store' generic aftershavey smell after 2 hrs now I'm at a stretch of my imagination getting wet Mossy stone through that aftershavey smell.

Also as an aside, I've often wondered whether plastic containers somehow negatively affect fragrances?

will give it a few more wearings ( weekend at home and keep it for different weather wears. Alas, at least my olifactory library and knowledge may have increased in navigating the world of fragrance!

Thank you all for your replies.much appreciated 👍

Ps.
    Lol I've got around 40 samples in the basket from notino some I've read about, some I've wanted to try for ages and some that just look nasally scrummy

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Ey up!
    Ah yes it's a decant in atomiser.
    I've just checked the seller and has good ratings and other vintage frag samples for sale.
    It's apparently a vintage aftershave decant. Lol I guess it's just me who hasn't clicked with it! I'm just getting 'dollar-store' generic aftershavey smell after 2 hrs now I'm at a stretch of my imagination getting wet Mossy stone through that aftershavey smell.

Also as an aside, I've often wondered whether plastic containers somehow negatively affect fragrances?

will give it a few more wearings ( weekend at home and keep it for different weather wears. Alas, at least my olifactory library and knowledge may have increased in navigating the world of fragrance!

Thank you all for your replies.much appreciated ��
    Ey up yersen Ifti!! That makes more sense it being a vintage aftershave sample. I've not smelled the aftershave but imagine it's less dense and lacking in the power of the EDT. I agree with Calitrav that you'd probably like Tsar if you like Polo. If you go for the Tsar try and get the latest version with the leafy pattern on the box. It's an excellent example of when reformulation works and 50ml only costs around £15 online.

This thread has some great info: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/426...rrent-versions

Ohhh you got a vintage aftershave, I thought it was the regular EDT. That's probably the issue right there.

See if you can find a fellow UK Basenoter to send you a sample of the good EDT or just blind-buy it if you can't find it in stores.

My 2014 bottle is probably the 4th version, because the bottle is a darker green than any of the 3 pictured at the link Derbyman pointed us to.

No blind buy is safe because you never know until you smell it, but it's pretty close to a safe blind buy if you liked vintage Polo.

Current Tsar isn't *that* good -- but it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by calitrav View Post
    Ohhh you got a vintage aftershave, I thought it was the regular EDT. That's probably the issue right there.

See if you can find a fellow UK Basenoter to send you a sample of the good EDT or just blind-buy it if you can't find it in stores.

My 2014 bottle is probably the 4th version, because the bottle is a darker green than any of the 3 pictured at the link Derbyman pointed us to.

No blind buy is safe because you never know until you smell it, but it's pretty close to a safe blind buy if you liked vintage Polo.

Current Tsar isn't *that* good -- but it's good.
    Hey calitrav! Hope all is good in L.A. I've visited your great city 4 times now and it's one of my favourite places - I'm hoping to retire to a beach house on Hermosa Strand - only another $15m to go...! Anyway, I digress. The 3rd picture is a little misleading. The bottle I have is nearly black unless you shine light on it and the green shows up. Might be different though, who knows. I agree with you on the good not great bit though. It's pretty linear on me and I wear VC&A Pour Homme much more than Tsar but every now and again it really hits the spot. Any chance you can put me a Pink's chilli dog and a grape soda in the post? Oops, I'm off topic again - sorry...!

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Hey calitrav! Hope all is good in L.A. I've visited your great city 4 times now and it's one of my favourite places - I'm hoping to retire to a beach house on Hermosa Strand - only another $15m to go...! Anyway, I digress. The 3rd picture is a little misleading. The bottle I have is nearly black unless you shine light on it and the green shows up. Might be different though, who knows. I agree with you on the good not great bit though. It's pretty linear on me and I wear VC&A Pour Homme much more than Tsar but every now and again it really hits the spot. Any chance you can put me a Pink's chilli dog and a grape soda in the post? Oops, I'm off topic again - sorry...!
    Ah ok maybe I've got the 3rd version of Tsar then? It's a very dark green bottle.

Hey, all is well, just playing a bit of hooky from my "real writing" at the moment by reading about Fragrances!
    I started off researching a script and next thing you know I've bought almost 20 of them!

Just got the latest bottle of Versace L'Homme in the mail (post) a few minutes ago and while it's not "love at first sniff" I think I like it.

Hermosa Beach is one of our better ones and yeah over-priced for sure...real estate prices have gone through the roof in LA lately, so I'm lucky to have my affordable pad. I live on Franklin Avenue right by Runyon Canyon. So if I want to go to Pink's, I just head East a few blocks, hang a right on La Brea, and it's just a mile down the road :-)

This is my favorite non-beach neighborhood because of the parks, although if I were married and raising kids I might prefer to live in Pasadena as it's a bit more Normal, reminds me of my hometown back East. I try to get out to Malibu once a week even if just for a couple of hours...let the dog run on the beach for a bit and get some fresher air...helps keep me sane...hope to move to the beach in Ventura or Orange county in the near future and finally learn how to surf. About all I've been good for lately is sitting on whichever side of a sailboat that needs ballast!

Btw, did a good bit of research into my family tree last year and discovered some of my ancestors hailed from Yorkshire...forget if they were the Burkes or the Fieldses (actually the surname was Field without the s in England) but I saw that area came up quite a bit once I went back into the tree far enough. Found 4 family names that went back 700 years or more, the English are amazing at keeping records!

One of these days I'd like to go visit England, Ireland, and France, afraid I've never been...

Sounds like you're living my dream!! If you ever make it over here and want a guide to the great county of Yorkshire give me a shout...!

I'm not rich or famous but life could be worse, thanks bud :-)

I know it's an old thread , but I'm new on basenote, tsar de van Cleef is the first version and the best I own a bottle of that one , I also own the 3rd version tsar Van Cleef , dark green bottle , I sprayed the 1st on my left wrist and 3 Rd version on my other wrist to compare , the thing missing I'm assuming it's the Oakmoss, but still I love them both also own the flanker version Eau Du Tsar which is pretty fresh, once u spray u will get the first wiff of musk and citrus, may smell unattractive at first , let it settle and all u smell really is fresh scent of citrus and lavander, maybe even some Oakmoss with it, it's really good to my scent , now should I even bother buying the 2nd version the ribbed bottle , is it all really that differ, I bought it so long ago I did get alot good compliments, but I do remember being a little synthetic then the others , I'm ready buy the 1st version again but pricey but well worth it, if u really look u can find good deals on eBay, and no u won't find a fake anywhere , this ain't Gucci or Versace or any high brand name that they knock off, pretty much any van cleef is 100% real, as for Polo, I love polo also the green bottle , sometimes I blend them on me a few sprays of polo on my left side and a few sprays of Tsar on my other side , and the smell is wonderful, 1st version perferr with polo that heavy Oakmoss blends well with the Tabacoo in polo