Code of Conduct

Default Garage Sale Fragrances.

With the weather warming up, I have been going to some garage sales.

Garage sales can be a treasure trove of fragrances. I recently bought a 3.0oz bottle of Wild Country with cap no box for $0.50. How can you go wrong? I sprayed it and it reminds me of a Brut clone. I also got a 1.7oz bottle of PS for $0.25. My girlfriend goes with me and she has gotten some near full bottles of perfume for less than $5 a bottle.

I was able to smell each bottle just to make sure the juice had not gone bad.
    Wear what you want and don't listen to people who tell you that you didn't spend enough.

My swap thread.

Default Re: Garage Sale Fragrances.

I think perhaps once or twice I was lucky on my finds. Went looking for a cedar chest for my blankets, found a few vintage scents that had some heavy wear (very little juice left) but still smelled great. Ran across an unopened bottle of Nautica Latitude Longitude, that's about as good as it got on my hunts so far.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Haven’t ever found any treasures yet, but still trying!

Basenotes Plus

I think I would be too anal on how it was stored etc, I don’t know how sealed bottles have been store when I buy new. But I do know how I store my sealed new bottles once in my possession! Already freaking out with temps nearing the 80’s by me ac on and temps regulated lol.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

When I was much younger, I had a lucky find once at a garage sale - a 100ml Spray Sealed Vintage Sagamore by Lancome which I bought for $8. I knew something like that would never happen again.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Congratulations for the great finds of garage sales, worth looking into until similar bargains do become available
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Here in countryside of germany there are few garage sales with perfumes. They keep them, it seems, they even throw them in the bin - or go Ebay. The only finds I remember were quite nice, though: a ~ 40 ml vtg. Aromatics Elixir, a pristine mid-vtg. Givenchy Gentleman and half a bottle of Youth Dew.
    Flea markets is the way to go in my area: There I got quite a miniature collection of some 5ml goodies (Davidoff Relax, Yves Rocher Venise, Puig Sybaris, ... etc. ... )
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Found Tokyo Milk Bulletproof ~70% full for a buck last summer at a yard sale. It was baking in the sun, the adhesive on the bottom sticker was goo-ified, but I cleaned it up and it smells perfectly fine.

Found a old 80s or 90s bottle of old spice at the goodwill, and it wouldn't ring up ($1) so the cashier gave it to me. It's very powdery.

Basenotes Plus

That tester spray bottle is one of FIVE I bought from a seller on Ebay who said he bought a score of these from a garage sale. These are extremely rare vintage 1980's bottles that were not sold to the public and were given to retail stores to use as counter-testers. These will likely always be my most coveted bottles due to the absolute impossibility to find. By sheer accident I happened upon the ebay sale. The quality of the scent from the first bottle I've used is like it was made yesterday. Incredibly preserved. These testers must have been sitting around in a temp-controlled (or temperate climate) storage room for around 30-years. So, yeah, you 'can' potentially find something ridiculously great at a garage sale it seems.

I paid an artisan metal-worker to construct this Old Spice Grand Turk ship shave stand. It's one of my best shaving sets hands down. I also had this shave brush secretly constructed and it is one-of-a-kind. The person who made the shave brush chose to remain anonymous.

I'm not a serious collector, but one concern I would have is that the fragrances were not stored properly. Could have sat for decades in a hot garage or in direct sunlight, who knows. But at those prices, I suppose it doesn't matter all that much.

Dependent

I got rid of a number of mine in the last sale, sold Insurrection Pure 2 for only like $2. It was barely sprayed, glad I don't own it anymore.
    Currently wearing: Aventus Cologne by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post

That tester spray bottle is one of FIVE I bought from a seller on Ebay who said he bought a score of these from a garage sale. These are extremely rare vintage 1980's bottles that were not sold to the public and were given to retail stores to use as counter-testers. These will likely always be my most coveted bottles due to the absolute impossibility to find. By sheer accident I happened upon the ebay sale. The quality of the scent from the first bottle I've used is like it was made yesterday. Incredibly preserved. These testers must have been sitting around in a temp-controlled (or temperate climate) storage room for around 30-years. So, yeah, you 'can' potentially find something ridiculously great at a garage sale it seems.

I paid an artisan metal-worker to construct this Old Spice Grand Turk ship shave stand. It's one of my best shaving sets hands down. I also had this shave brush secretly constructed and it is one-of-a-kind. The person who made the shave brush chose to remain anonymous.
    Nice!
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

Hi stch,

Good luck with your "Garage Sale" search. I'm do same here in Maine as "Yard Sale/Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Shop

/Estate Sale,Thrift Shop/etc." season is almost in full swing! stch, check out one of my recent scores found at a little "Antique Shop" :

(26th April 2018, 08:34 PM #21)

Default Re: Greetings lovely Ladies! SixCats! seeking your opinions/help/suggestions.

Hello all,

THANK YOU again all for all your recommendations. I can NOT believe my LUCK!

Per my thread : "Greetings lovely Ladies! SixCats! seeking your opinions/help/suggestions."

Caz said in thread : "Rochas Femme would be a possibility, it has a skanky reputation in certain

vintages/formats. I’m not a vintage person so hopefully someone else can chime in with

specifics."

Well, today (4/26/2018) I was having fun visiting several "Thrift Shops" here in Maine.

On the way to one such Shop, I drove passed a little "Antique Shop" and seeing the Antique

shop was open, I decided to made a "U-turn" (as "something" told me I need to visit this shop).

Long story short, whilst perusing this shop for "treasures", what do you think I spy with my little

Eye sitting high on a shelf ? Lo and behold, I find a NIB/NOS (unopened box wrapped in it's

original Cellophane) 3.5 oz. bottle of "Parfum De Toilette FEMME Marcel Rochas" !

Whoa! Seriously, what are the chances! The box has a ref. # 2004 (as marked on bottom of box).

I was prepared to pay full asking price for this Perfum however (more good luck) it just so

happens that this vendor was having a 50% off everything sale! So, I was able to purchase

this 3.5 oz. Classic Rochas Femme Perfum for a grand total of $18.46 tax included!

Oooh, I sure hope it's still good. I've yet to open.

BORROWED PHOTO of what I found today : https://www.etsy.com/listing/5370465...toilette-35-oz

SixCats!

My only Yard sale/garage sale find was a nearly full bottle of Detaille Escrimeur. I paid 3 bucks for it - they had some of the "usual suspects" too a couple Adidas stuff, Curve, Old Spice, Halston Z-14 and a few more. This one and a big bottle of Cool Water were 3 bucks the others were 2 dollars there may have been more "good ones" earlier in the day. I don't think the sellers knew what they had with the Detaille.

They prolly put 3 bucks on it because it's a very cool bottle.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    My only Yard sale/garage sale find was a nearly full bottle of Detaille Escrimeur. I paid 3 bucks for it
    That was a good find!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That was a good find!
    I KNOW!

Good taste !

Basenotes Plus

I also had this shave brush secretly constructed and it is one-of-a-kind.
    Secretly? Why on earth would secrecy be necessary?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    A matter of national security. If you need to ask, you wouldn't understand.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    With the weather warming up, I have been going to some garage sales.

Garage sales can be a treasure trove of fragrances. I recently bought a 3.0oz bottle of Wild Country with cap no box for $0.50. How can you go wrong? I sprayed it and it reminds me of a Brut clone. I also got a 1.7oz bottle of PS for $0.25. My girlfriend goes with me and she has gotten some near full bottles of perfume for less than $5 a bottle.

I was able to smell each bottle just to make sure the juice had not gone bad.
    If I may ask, what color is the cap of the Wild Country spray? They only introduced it in the 80's with a black cap, then later with a brown cap after a major reformulation that made it a lot sweeter (and thus closer to Brut). Original 60's or even 70's Wild Country is much drier and very heavy on carnation, which makes it smell day from night compared to Brut, and actually somewhat closer to a leather scent (without a true leather note).
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Is "wouldn't understand" a code phrase meaning "might share that super-secret shave-brush technology with freedom-fighter moles in the enemy camps"?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Himalayan odyssey View Post
    Good taste !
    You know it! Shulton Old Spice spanned generations and nations. Love the stuff.

OP, you got those fragrances for pennies. Cannot go wrong. The thrill of finding out if you like the fragrance is worth the small price. Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    With you, it's so hard to tell if you are beig facetious or not.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

He ran-over several badgers just for that one brush. He's the male Cruella de Vil.

PETA have him on a list right below Zsa Zsa...and now that she's gone...

I just went to an estate sale and found a 50ml (99%) bottle and unopened 75ml bottle of Guerlain Shalimar EDP. Picked both up for $10. Both of the bottles are from the early 2000s. I might end up selling one of the bottles...

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by FS0C13TY View Post
    I just went to an estate sale and found a 50ml (99%) bottle and unopened 75ml bottle of Guerlain Shalimar EDP. Picked both up for $10. Both of the bottles are from the early 2000s. I might end up selling one of the bottles...
    That's a great find.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I dont think ive ever seen fragrances for sale around here. Lots of fake oakleys, crappy fishing gear, and overpriced hunting gear. will have to keep a better eye out from now on.

Estate sales can be a good find for a lot of items. But I've never seen fragrances. Maybe I wasn't looking close enough.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."