Code of Conduct

Default When did Christian Dior become Dior?

Dear all:
    Can anybody say when the packaging for the Christian Dior perfumes changed and they erased the designer's first name?
    On the old Dolce Vita, J'adore, Poison, Dune, Fahrenheit, Jules etc. boxes and bottles, it used to say Christian Dior (Paris) in the front.
    Now, it simply says Dior. When was that changed? Did it happen over night, or did they do it one by one for each series?
    Thank you,
    Mrs.Rose

1_8.jpg
    zj864.jpg
    Last edited by Mrs.Rose; 10th May 2018 at 12:00 PM.

Basenotes Member

Default Re: When did Christian Dior become Dior?

There's an excellent website about how to date perfumes called Raiders of the Lost Scent. I love reading it as I much prefer older, preferably first formulas of Dior perfumes

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...tian-dior.html

He says in the above post the switch began in 2001 and it was gradual.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Rose View Post
    Dear all:
    Can anybody say when the packaging for the Christian Dior perfumes changed and they erased the designer's first name?
    Interesting. Had never even paid attention to that.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

With some further reading, it seems that this had at least in part something to do with the fashion designer Hedi Slimane, who created a new, much more modern menswear division for the house of Dior in 2000/2001, called Dior Homme, which was marketed as Dior and not Christian Dior (Paris). He oversaw the perfume launch for Dior Higher (2001) for which the founder's first name was not used either. At the same time, the older perfumes were still sold as Christian Dior Paris.
    I read a comment somewhere that the founder's first name might not have been well received by the brand's solvent, non-Christian (i.e. Arab/Muslim) customer base and was therefore gradually erased. But I think that's stretching it a little?

Fun little documentary I watched the other night (Dior: The Man Behind the Myth):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojt_3dtbas

If you're interested.