Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default OMG--Aldi's (Jo Malone Clone) Candles

I know this is home fragrance, and I know it's (sort of) a new release, but I don't think it's off topic, because this is "general fragrance" after all (if I posted this in the wrong place, mods, please forgive me--I know not what I'm doing). Anyway, I saw this on the NST Twitter feed, and I love candles, but I am super picky and these look pretty fab. Plus they're $8. Plus Mother's Day is in a couple of days. I have a never-visited Aldi down the street, where I shall be paying a call before the weekend is over.https://www.housebeautiful.com/shopp...alone-candles/

Just thought I'd share with my fellow Amis, and also ask our Euro Basenoters if they've seen/smelled/bought any of these--and if so, please advise. Thanks!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: OMG--Aldi's (Jo Malone Clone) Candles

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Nice! Our Aldi is closed for remodeling.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Banned

Yeah, it looks like they're tooling up for a big re-launch. And 8 bucks is just ridiculous for good candles.

Thanks--I will check this out!
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

I just checked my local flyer to see if they had these, and saw they also have on sale this week my favorite acrylic perfume samples organizer. It's got just the right size openings for all sizes of vials and an open space that's perfect for minis. And they're only $7 too!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I just checked my local flyer to see if they had these, and saw they also have on sale this week my favorite acrylic perfume samples organizer. It's got just the right size openings for all sizes of vials and an open space that's perfect for minis. And they're only $7 too!

Gotta love you some Aldi. I can't wait to report in about the candles.

I like the DW Home candles. I have one large one in blue called Midnight Musk which has gorgeous, rich but rounded notes of Mint, Sandalwood, Cedar, Amber Moss & Musk.

Lovely. I get a lot of compliments on it.

And I only paid £7 for it at TK Maxx.
    "Perfume is a form of writing, an ink, a choice made in the first person, the dot on the i, a weapon, a courteous gesture, part of the instant, a consequence." ...

I got 2 of the Aldi Jo Malone knock-off candles today. Our Aldi's had stacks of Huntington Home Lime, Basil, & Mandarin; English Pear & Freesia; and Black Pomegranate. I got the first & third ones for $7 a piece. I doubt I will be disappointed since I don't know what Jo Malone candles smell like anyway. And I doubt few people in my village have even heard of Jo Malone.

ETA It's a ringer all right. It looks like a Jo Malone candle right down to the little bow on the lid. The only difference in looks is that the upper half of the label has a different company name and logo.

3 weeks later Houston stores are still overflowing with them at $6.99, it doesn't look like they are selling well and I am waiting for them to drop in price. This is quite different from a year or two ago when Aldi pulled off the same trick and they flew off the shelves on the very 1st day. I bought "Black Pomegranate" (aka Pomegranate Noir) and Lime Basil and Mandarin and I've been burning Black Pomegranate for a few days. Admittedly, I haven't tried an authentic Jo Malone candle, so can't compare there, but I am not too impressed with the Aldi knockoffs. Black Pomegranate smells good, but I wouldn't say that it smells any better or richer than, say, aforementioned DW candle, which can be had at Marshalls or TJ Maxx for the same price any day. I also didn't notice any particular longevity in burn time. I sure hope a $65 Jo Malone candle performs a bit better, because I'd be a tad peeved if I bought an ok candle for this kind of price.

Speaking of, the DW Rose & Oud and Patchouli & Oud candles are fantastic value for the money.

I bought the Pear one. Haven’t burned it yet.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

My nearby Aldi finally discounted them 50%, they hardly sold any.