Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: Oliver & Co. discussion and sampling

Just received my bottle of Orion. First impressions are it’s a little flat, guazey and medicinal. It really reminds me of a hospital ward and disinfected floors and latex gloves. Smells very “grey”, interesting as an art piece, but a bit lacking in wearability so far.

Disinfected floor and latex gloves is a good description! though I wouldn't call that flat, or grey. It is true that the drydown is quieter and more powdery.

You may enjoy Carina more then. I am wearing it now. It also has the plastic combo that Oliver seems to like, but it pairs it with mint and other invigorating herbs. So it's more perky.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Disinfected floor and latex gloves is a good description! though I wouldn't call that flat, or grey. It is true that the drydown is quieter and more powdery.

You may enjoy Carina more then. I am wearing it now. It also has the plastic combo that Oliver seems to like, but it pairs it with mint and other invigorating herbs. So it's more perky.

cacio
    Both good descriptions. I also don't think Orion is flat or grey - quite the opposite for me, really. The opening almost feels too effervescently sweet and bright to pair well with that plastic note. It just seems to paid better with something a little more herbal and cool (i.e. Carina).
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

You guys are doing a great job of making me happy that my basket crashed.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    I was not as fortunate.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Messe de Minuit by Etro

Unfortunately, I had placed an order for a tester of Carina, but it turned out to be sold out (I got a sample). So Carina may go on my future to buy list for when the store reopens in Berlin in a few months.

Vetiverus: this one instead is uninspiring. A regular vetiver, ok, but nothing special. Presumably this (and colonia) are range fillers.

cacio

Blog Entries

It's having the opposite effect on me. DHL has missed me two days in a row, as I sleep from about 4-10. I guess tonight I'll crash on my front porch with a yoga mat and pillow. My sleep mask has little sheep on it....hope they aren't startled.
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I was not as fortunate.
    I think there's just an unusually large span between the top and bottom rungs of Oliver's releases. It'll be interesting to see what has staying power in the community after the Guide and inventory sale dust has settled.

So far, for me anyway after having sampled all but Veil:
    Ambergreen >>> Vaninger > Resina >>> Carina ~~~ [the Mariana Trench] ~~~ MOUSSE I > MOUSSE II >> the others

At the top end, Ambrgreen I'd buy at full price, and I can see it becoming something of a focal point in my collection. I'd likely buy Vaninger, but am happy with a large split for now. The others I like a lot, but they aren't quite in the same tier for me.

On the other end of the Trench, MOUSSE and MOUSSE II are basically pleasant, but not particularly interesting. The others I just didn't enjoy all that much for one reason or another. And would still like to try Veil.

I guess I'm just saying don't discount them entirely because there are a number of definite weak links. The good stuff is really very good IMO, and we seem to be all over the map in terms of what we're impressed most with, which is always fun!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; Yesterday at 07:55 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Veil is a powerful marine floral. Great if I liked marine, but I don't. But I only tried my sample briefly, and need to do so again. I have not tried ambergreen.

My ranking of those that I tried would be
    Carina>Orion>Resina>> Colonia >> Mousse II > Veil > Vetiverus > Mousse > Vaninger

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I was not as fortunate.
    But you can console yourself with all those wonderful Patous you have

Always be smelling

But you can console yourself with all those wonderful Patous you have
    That I can
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Messe de Minuit by Etro

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I've tried a handful of these a few more times. Brief impressions for now:

M.O.U.S.S.E. - Okay. Clean, fresh, clovey green fougere. Light on it's feet and pleasant. There are too many periods in the name. Typing it is irritating. A title better suited for an episode of Darkwing Duck. MOUSSE would be the villain's malevolent organization.

M.O.U.S.S.E. II - Okay. Basically the original with a bit mintier of a vibe that reminds of me Grev in some ways. Less dense than the original but amped up spice salvo that somehow makes it greener and chillier. Would be great on a hot day after a run, before a shower, but not sure I'd want to wear it all day. I prefer Grev.

La Colonia - I like it. I don't have much experience with Acqua di Parma, but this reminds me of one. Essenza maybe. Creamy lemony/orangey Eaux. Nice.

Gincense - I like the first 10 seconds, then not so much. Smells like an IES-loaded Comme des Garcons experiment crossed with Escentric 01 (not Molecule). Becomes grating on my skin. I don't smell gin or ginger (not sure which is the namesake...) but I do smell that cedary mineralic IES 'incense', and it doesn't quite agree with me. I have no qualms with IES in general, for the record.

Vetiverus - My favorite so far. Surprised to see this called a regular vetiver. I smell little if any vetiver, and I'm a card-carrying vetiver enthusiast. Honestly if it wasn't in the name, I might not have picked it out as it's so muted by the floral/clovey carnation accord and I guess some tweaked osmanthus (not leathery and apricot-y, but still recognizable). Smells like autumn to me, I sprung for a 10ml decant. There is a red/orange vegetal spice component (besides the clove/carnation) that was driving me crazy...Purecaramel to the rescue - squash blossoms! This is a great mix of uncharted territory and wearability. Excellent effort.

Vaninger - Not to put too fine a point on it, but for me this is laughably unwearable! I'm not sure why I'm smelling what I'm smelling, but I'm definitely smelling it - Big League Chew. Minty pink bubblegum. I loved little league and this brings me back for sure, but never would I wear this. I don't really get ginger or vanilla, just Big League Chew. It's making me smile, but not because I have found "the one". Need to spend more time with this or maybe pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming, because I'm pretty sure this is one of the more popular ones.
    ______

Even though I'm not wild about some of these, I'm impressed with the vision and structure of many of them. Will report back once I spend some more time with Resina and the Nebulae...and Vaninger, what a trip! Expecting vanilla and ginger, then smelling Big League Chew. That made my day.

IsoE

I like your description. I agree that Vetiverus is not plain vetiver, there are many other things. But I like my vetivers zingy and fresh, and the other ingredients here mute the vetiver, which I don't like. But if one likes soft vetivers (eg Vetiver Tonka and the like), then this will work very well.

La Colonia: to me it smells like a traditional eau de cologne, but with a more lemony top, and less neroli. it remains drier throughout, which I like. It is in the same territory as the AdP, but I think the adp have more soap. Very good-if I didn't have already 1 liter Cologne Sologne and 400ml Chanel edc, I might consider buying it.

cacio

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5