Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default Re: Oliver & Co. discussion and sampling

Interesting how many notes you can pick up in Colonia. To me it was a rather straightforward thing, though luckily I didn't get the ozone.

rabid aroma explorer

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Interesting how many notes you can pick up in Colonia. To me it was a rather straightforward thing, though luckily I didn't get the ozone.
    Yeah, it is an oddball, to my nose. Can't get into wearing it. It's creative, I'll give you that.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God. ~~ Aeschylus
    Currently wearing: La Panthère by Cartier

rabid aroma explorer

M.O.U.S.S.E. II - cool. medicinal. woody spice. greenish lavender. breezy aldehydes. tad sweet. I like it.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God. ~~ Aeschylus

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

I wonder where I can buy their discover sample set in US? I can't find the purchase button on their official website.
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by the blood on 530 27 View Post
    I wonder where I can buy their discover sample set in US? I can't find the purchase button on their official website.
    They're on a break, as far as I remember the workshop is moving to Berlin - definitely sign up for newsletter on site so you can get some when they're back.

I'm in Pennsylvania for a while myself and could send you on a bit of any I have with me - I don't think I brought many - pm me if you're interested.
    Currently wearing: Prima T by Bruno Acampora

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by the blood on 530 27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post
    They're on a break, as far as I remember the workshop is moving to Berlin - definitely sign up for newsletter on site so you can get some when they're back.
    You won't find any retail stockists anywhere that carry them, because he cancelled all his retailers earlier this year and is handling all distribution himself. He's been closed since the end of July, so it shouldn't be too much longer before he reopens the web store.

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post

I'm in Pennsylvania for a while myself and could send you on a bit of any I have with me - I don't think I brought many - pm me if you're interested.
    Thanks a lot! PM sent!
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

rabid aroma explorer

Ambergreen... Wet earth. Dank leaves. Soil. Then it turns dark green. It reminds of how this past summer smelled because of all the rain we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I'll be surprised if anybody gives up their Resina. It hits it's mark with a sledgehammer.
    It's my favorite from this house. I really enjoy resins like myrrh. This composition is sweet but not cloying. Beautiful blend. After about a half year of ownership, my enjoyment only increased. No regrets. I was tempted to get a 3rd bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Vetiverus - My favorite so far. Surprised to see this called a regular vetiver. I smell little if any vetiver, and I'm a card-carrying vetiver enthusiast. Honestly if it wasn't in the name, I might not have picked it out as it's so muted by the floral/clovey carnation accord and I guess some tweaked osmanthus (not leathery and apricot-y, but still recognizable). Smells like autumn to me, I sprung for a 10ml decant. There is a red/orange vegetal spice component (besides the clove/carnation) that was driving me crazy...Purecaramel to the rescue - squash blossoms! This is a great mix of uncharted territory and wearability. Excellent effort.
    This is definitely not my favorite vetiver, because like you said the vetiver doesn't play a prominent note as anticipated. The Osmanthus is a bit too potent for my usual taste, in something like this. Early "autumn" is a good analogy. Overall, it's clearly a very unique composition. At times I spray it and feel glad I chose it that day, but then other days I sniff before applying and change my mind. Definitely requires the right mood to engage. I think for most people it really requires a long term sampling to appreciate. I bought it blind, originally. Got a pretty good deal on a 50% full example for my first bottle (but the recent sale was definitely a better deal). It took me about 6 months... and then when I caught the earlier deep sale on Olivier's site, with a coupon for free shipping, I couldn't resist and bought a full bottle. It'll likely take me a good decade before I use it all up.

Resina is my top pick for its ease of wear. Can’t quite say the same for others I have tried from this house. Most have this ‘shrillness’ about them that takes some getting use to.

Does anyone else get a real physical discomfort with the Oliver & Co frags?
    I, too, bought a few during the inventory sale (mostly the 16ml size for a reasonable €10), but Gincense and Ambergreen in particular leave me with a scratchy feeling that runs from the back of my throat to my stomach. It's weird.

I like the MOUSSEs quite a bit (not much difference between them—and indeed they are sort of a simplified Grev + aldehydes, which actually do this really nice shimmery thing with it). And I think Vetiverus is great for a really modern ambroxan-heavy scent. And the dill in La Colonia is great, even though there's a moment in the opening I'm never sure I'll get past (very disinfectant).

But I think it's time I say goodbye to my small bottle of Gincense. It's just not working for me. Despite the scratching I think I'll keep Ambergreen around because its so weird... Maybe the internal scratching will stop at some point....
    Currently wearing: New Sibet by Slumberhouse

mrmorel
    interesting. i do get synthetic notes from oliver and co, but they don't disturb me. So perhaps it's just some material you are hypesensitive to. we are all hypersensitive to one material or another.
    cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    mrmorel
    interesting. i do get synthetic notes from oliver and co, but they don't disturb me. So perhaps it's just some material you are hypesensitive to. we are all hypersensitive to one material or another.
    cacio
    Very true. I have hypersensitivity for cade, for example. Instead of smoke or leather, I get burnt meat. Also, some frags make me cough or get phlegmy...I find that happens with those that have heavy Iso-E in them. But I haven’t been triggered by Oliver & Co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

rabid aroma explorer

I think some of them for me, would have to be an acquired taste. They are artsy. Not everyday wearable - not that I wear anything with any frequency, mind you. I still have couple I haven't tried yet.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6