Code of Conduct

Thread: Rose

Default Rose

I'm trying to make a Rose based scent. I have a nice mix of floral bases and mids that I like, but I did not like the rose accord I purchased from PA. It was too sharp and almost too spicy to my nose. I want to try other Rose oils, but there are so many (and costly) that I'm overwhelmed. I'm willing to spend money, but do you guys have any tips? How are natural absolutes as far as longevity? Any tips from rose scent experience would be helpful! Thanks!

Default Re: Rose

Quote Originally Posted by borisnyc View Post
    I'm trying to make a Rose based scent. I have a nice mix of floral bases and mids that I like, but I did not like the rose accord I purchased from PA. It was too sharp and almost too spicy to my nose. I want to try other Rose oils, but there are so many (and costly) that I'm overwhelmed. I'm willing to spend money, but do you guys have any tips? How are natural absolutes as far as longevity? Any tips from rose scent experience would be helpful! Thanks!
    Actually rose is one of the more gratifying notes for which to make your own accord as the chems involved all live pretty closely within the same evaporation profile. At a minimum you need geraniol, citronellol and PEA (phenyl ethyl alcohol). All of these are available as natural extracts if that is important to you - they generally have a better scent. You can search the site for many examples of rose accords and additional chems you can add to further enliven your rose like cinnamic alcohol to give a spicy edge, rose oxide for a sharp, metallic top note and of course a touch of aldehyde C9. You can add as much rose absolute or rose otto as you can afford to your rose accord to further its "rosiness."

awesome thank you! I have a couple of these things already, will look into others!

So I pulled the trigger on a small amount of organic Pink Rose Otto, its smells unbelievable, it has the complexity and depth I was looking for. I'm afraid to even use it to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by borisnyc View Post
    So I pulled the trigger on a small amount of organic Pink Rose Otto, its smells unbelievable, it has the complexity and depth I was looking for. I'm afraid to even use it to be honest
    I recommend that you first spend time and learn and prepare a beautiful base that you like a using the suggested (and others too) rose odorants for your beautiful rose oil. All the time, check how much the base that you create is in a harmony with your rose oil, and only then add to this ready base this luxurious essential oil. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/433...ight=rose+base

Thank you so much. I will follow your advice !

There are many ac:s that is useful for rose accords: linalool, nerol, citronellol,geranyl acetate, eugenol, rosone crystal, damascones, l-carvone, rose oxide, ionones, farnesol for example. It is not to hard to make. Read up on what chemicals are in natural rose and in what relative concentrations to get a feeling for what to use and how much.

I received my Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol, do you use this as a percentage of the base like you would oils? or do you use it in larger quantities, as a percentage of the finished scent? I'm asking because its called "alcohol" , and it doesnt seem to have a very strong scent in the bottle. thank you

Basenotes Plus

I see more intensive chemistry study in your future.

Alcohol is a class of molecules.

Use the PEA in your concentrate.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Pure rose oils can end up being quite expensive so they are probably not a preferred substance to experiment with. And if you use too much you can risk ending up with a rather ordinary rose scent - like rose water - while you may wish to expand it more into a richer, fuller rose / flower bouquet.

I attended a workshop with one of Dior's perfumers and we were experimenting with citronellol. I highly recommend citronellol if you want to develop a rose fragrance. Citronellol has a beautiful and very fresh flowery dominantly (damascus) rose fragrance - as if you just picked fresh rose petals off a rosebud! It spreads into subtle hints of tea leaves, mint, a taint of Turkish delight, saffron. This adds some depth to the fragrance.

You can start from there and just add one drop at a time with a blend of fragrances appealing to you.
    "Perfume is a form of writing, an ink, a choice made in the first person, the dot on the i, a weapon, a courteous gesture, part of the instant, a consequence." ...