Code of Conduct

Default Canadians ordering from Perfumer's Apprentice?

Hello,

I wanted to have some information about ordering from Perfumer's Apprentice and shipping to Canada. The website only provides UPS for shipping to Canada. However UPS charges extra for hazmat products (e.g. Iso E Super, Timbersilk) if shipped by air. However, for Canada there's a "ground option" and according to Perfumer's Apprentice, UPS doesn't charge extra for hazmat products if shipped using the ground option.

Anyone in Canada ordering from PA had any surprises at the door when UPS delivered the package? I know they charge for import duties, taxes, which is fine, but I'm wondering about the hazmat products.

Default Re: Canadians ordering from Perfumer's Apprentice?

I have ordered from PA and have not had surprises when it was delivered. However... that was before PA stopped shipping USPS, which in my 10 years experience is still the preferred way to get materials into Canada. USP and Fed Ex are extortionist on their brokerage fees, in my opinion.
    Shipping seems to be getting more and more complex and PA seems to have challenges. It also seems UPS and FedEx have jumped onto these hazmat charges as extra way of making profit for themselves. Other suppliers are still using USPS, so I don't know what PA's issue is, but they claim it is USPS saying NO to them.
    I do purchase from quite a few suppliers from the states and elsewhere, and have not had issues other than from UPS. I always choose USPS when I am able. I am not concerned about having it here the next day, so timing is never an issue for me.
    I notice that PA does offer the option of shipping with your own account. I will create a DHL account and ship through my own account, when I order from PA in the future.
    If you do order, I would be interested in what happens for you.

my 2¢

Thank you for replying Julian. I decided to leave out the "hazmat" products and wait until I have more information. But I know that UPS will charge me a lot at the door. However I talked with the shipping customer service and the person was extremely helpful. If the amount is 30 ml or less, then PA doesn't file it under hazmat and doesn't charge extra.
    If you don't mind me asking, which places in the U.S. you purchase that gives you the USPS option?

Cheers!

Both Creating Perfume and Perfume Supply House shipped my orders last month by USPS.
    HOWEVER... I just read on Creating Perfume that "We no longer offer USPS international shipping. USPS is classifying all liquid products as hazardous and will reject them."

This is so very unfortunate and so frustrating.

Thank you Julian. I went to check the Perfume Supply House website. It looks interesting.
    I just saw that Creating Perfume will only ship to me with Fed Ex. Yes I agree, it's extremely frustrating.

So it would be better to buy from PA with a DHL account or PW and go through USPS?

In terms of the lowest cost option?

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehug View Post
    So it would be better to buy from PA with a DHL account or PW and go through USPS?
    In terms of the lowest cost option?
    I am not sure what you mean by PW. Do you mean Perfumer's World?

I wish is was as simple as comparing shippers. Generally I would say the postal service is cheaper because they do not charge outrageous brokerage fees. I have found DHL is very reliable, and more professional in my opinion. Chris from Pell Wall in the UK uses DHL and charges a flat rate of £39 to ship to North America. However the Canadian exchange rate is higher for pounds($1.78 CND) than for US dollars($1.28 USD).

Here you will see a small comparison of three basic materials priced from 4 companies. Conversion into Canadian dollar kills us on the exchange rate. Also if ALL companies sold in grams it would be easier to compare, but some sell in grams, some in ounces and some in ml. For this exercise I have converted all amounts to grams for comparison.
    All are reliable companies attempting to get us the stuff in the face of increasing shipping restrictions and profit driven companies like UPS and FedEx, and government run postal services.
    This is only a representative sampling of three materials, not an indication of their average price differentials.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehug View Post
    So it would be better to buy from PA with a DHL account or PW and go through USPS? In terms of the lowest cost option?
    Sorry hedgehug. My brain went on vacation when I responded to you. Of course you meant Pell Wall (PW). Perhaps this will help.

So here is an example:

I just completed an order with Chris/Pell Wall for £78.90 GBP which includes:
    £39.90 for material after 5% discount (and a 10ml free sample)
    £39.00 GBP DHL flat rate shipping to Canada.

£78.90 GBP converts into $140.57 Canadian.

Pell Wall shipped on May 15th and it arrived today May 21.
    6 days only!!! (and that was over a Victoria Day holiday weekend! )
    By Mail that would have taken 3 weeks.

DHL charged $16.01 for processing. No GST or duty.

I have yet to have anything arrive faster, or with less hassle, than with DHL.
    They put UPS to shame.
    There is also seems to be a difference ordering from the UK than from the USA for Canadians.

Again I would be interested in hearing your experience of any Canadian orders.

That's good to know Julian. Thank you for the information.