Code of Conduct

Default Benzyl alcohol issues *update and help* jusmin/ white narcissus : why am I smalling poop?

I'm trying to investigate, in general, what is that "thing" about some white flower that smells like poop for me, its like .. towards the "end" of the smell.
    Also, today I smelled benzyl alcohol and again... that smell... I just have to know what is the chemical that gives that poop aroma that drives me crazy. Please help
    Last edited by Talya_Israel; 5th June 2018 at 05:35 AM. Reason: More accurate headline

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Benzyl alcohol/jusmin/ white narcissus : why am I smalling poop?

Indole.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Indole.
    Thank you Paul, but I need mote information.
    Is it also in benzyl alcohol? How do I avoid it?
    Can you please refer me to more information? So I know what to avoid buying? Its just destroys the fragrance for me.
    And also.. I grew up near a frangipani tree, that is also narcotic, but I love the smell. Is it possible frangipani has less indole in it, compared to other narcotics? Thanks a lot

Basenotes Plus

"what is that "thing" about some white flower that smells like poop" Answer is Indole.

Benzyl Alcohol does not smell like poop. It is sweet floral rose fruity phenolic balsamic, and is VERY light in its strength.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Para-cresol. Smell dirty, urine-horse-public toilet like undertone in white flowers ( jasmine, narcissus, lilies). Benzyl alcohol has a slighty sharp phenolic and almond aspect like ball pen similar to para-cresol but is Benzyl Achohol is very delicate scent. Indole is smooth-plasticy styrene like to me ( lilac like).

Quote Originally Posted by Talya_Israel View Post
    I'm trying to investigate, in general, what is that "thing" about some white flower that smells like poop for me, its like .. towards the "end" of the smell.
    Also, today I smelled benzyl alcohol and again... that smell... I just have to know what is the chemical that gives that poop aroma that drives me crazy. Please help
    For me, para-cresyl phenyl acetate has the most pronounced shade of public toilet and in combination with indole, (although for me indole is more naphthyl than crap smell...) you will just get what you are talking about when thinking about the smell of these flowers.

scatole and para cresol are also involved in the narcotic character of white flowers.
    the heady aspects in the top notes will be produced by addition of methyl benzoate.

and as we are starting to talk about public toilets: please don't forget phenyl acetic acid, in combination with the before mentioned cresyls

Skatole and methyl anthranilate is other creepy aspect of floral. Narcotic, sickly sweet almost fecal, creosote like and grape ( Aura Mugler is good Example and Joop Femme). Creepy evil acridine and creosote like, especially mixed with indole and para-cresol and his esters.

lovely white flowers
    the jasmine bush around the corner seems to bloom soon

Thank you all very much for all your answers and notes... I will definitely read it and keep notes... and also ... thank you for making me laugh!! Public toilet... ha ha...
    As for the benzyl alcohol, I will try to smell it again... and return with a note/another question.
    Blessing

Quote Originally Posted by pavomi View Post
    lovely white flowers
    the jasmine bush around the corner seems to bloom soon
    We have :
    Trachelospermum jasminoides outside, its blooming. Its a very gentle Jasmin, still, I can smell traces of that poop odor
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    "what is that "thing" about some white flower that smells like poop" Answer is Indole.

Benzyl Alcohol does not smell like poop. It is sweet floral rose fruity phenolic balsamic, and is VERY light in its strength.
    I can smell the light floral scent, but the almond is very sharp to me, and smells like toilet cleaner.. idk... I'd be happy if someone understands me... or... maybe my benzyl alcohol isnt go isnt good?
    Thanksss

where did you get your benzyl alcohol from? the ones it got don't smell like almond at all (from hexapus and perfumers apprentice)

thx for the lovely images

I can smell the light floral scent, but the almond is very sharp to me, and smells like toilet cleaner.. idk... I'd be happy if someone understands me... or... maybe my benzyl alcohol isnt go isnt good?
    Thanksss
    I think that benzyl alcohol with its phenolic shade reminds you of the smell of para-cresol which is very widely used for disinfection of public places of use (metro, toilet rooms, etc.) from here your unpleasant associations. Both of these are often present in the smells of fresh flowers, a pair of p-cresol is clearly present in the scent of narcissus and perhaps some types of jasmine too.

where did you get your benzyl alcohol from? the ones it got don't smell like almond at all (from hexapus and perfumers apprentice)

thx for the lovely images
    I got mine from perfumers world, the only place I can buy from at the moment, as other places, have crazy shipping rates to Israel.
    It smells really nasty

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
    I think that benzyl alcohol with its phenolic shade reminds you of the smell of para-cresol which is very widely used for disinfection of public places of use (metro, toilet rooms, etc.) from here your unpleasant associations. Both of these are often present in the smells of fresh flowers, a pair of p-cresol is clearly present in the scent of narcissus and perhaps some types of jasmine too.
    Thank you very much, for the insight... I have to figure out what phenolic is...

I got mine from perfumers world, the only place I can buy from at the moment, as other places, have crazy shipping rates to Israel.
    It smells really nasty
    it shouldn't smell 'nasty', whatever that means in details. try to order a sample from another supplier, shipping rates for samples are usually very affordable. compare it with your material. but anyways, considering 'nasty' as a very unspecific term talking about smell (or other things...), it might even be the situation that your material is ok. i'd recommend a comparison, and maybe you are lucky and find a pharmacy somewhere around your place that can provide a sample of benzyl alcohol. some pharmacies can easily do so.

it shouldn't smell 'nasty', whatever that means in details. try to order a sample from another supplier, shipping rates for samples are usually very affordable. compare it with your material. but anyways, considering 'nasty' as a very unspecific term talking about smell (or other things...), it might even be the situation that your material is ok. i'd recommend a comparison, and maybe you are lucky and find a pharmacy somewhere around your place that can provide a sample of benzyl alcohol. some pharmacies can easily do so.
    Thank you very much. Nasty in this case means, I can hardly smell faint floral, but a very strong "public toilet" / or I can describe it as that strong smell new electronic used to have back in the 80's, like ... a new cassette player, or that smell of tires in places they fix car.
    I will try to compare, although couldnt find yet a place in my country where they sell this stuff

I aggree with you! Good imagination on benzyl alcohol. I had a miscelanous benzyl alcohols, smell the same. Weak almond with phenolic antiseptic ( hospital like) undertone. I detect large amount benzyl alcohol in some lilacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper Kafel View Post
    I aggree with you! Good imagination on benzyl alcohol. I had a miscelanous benzyl alcohols, smell the same. Weak almond with phenolic antiseptic ( hospital like) undertone. I detect large amount benzyl alcohol in some lilacs.
    So... I didnt really get it... you're saying some of the benzyl alcohols smell like that (depending on quality) or ate you saying, ppl smell it differently, and you smell it like I do.
    And I didnt get what you said about the lilac.
    Thank you very much!

You need to purchase "natural" benzyl alcohol to avoid the industrial type smell.

Quote Originally Posted by I.D.Adam View Post
    You need to purchase "natural" benzyl alcohol to avoid the industrial type smell.
    Oh.. and where do they have it?
    Thanks

Basenotes Plus

It is usually the Benzyl Acetate that has a harsh odor, that also has a natural version to buy, instead of Benzyl Alcohol....
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Yes, my mistake you are correct. I misread.

I didn't know it had different isomers? Or do you mean it's the typical bi products that smell bad? Mine is synthetic and smell just fine. So maybe get a cleaner product?

I dont have luck with benzyl alcohol... I bought another one, here, after the 1st one was unbearably stinky, and now... the smell is fine, but the color... is brownish... so... are there many grades to benzyl alcohol and how do I get my hands on a top grade one?
    Thanks guys