Code of Conduct

Default Chanel no 5 and Mitsouko Guerlain

I know the two are made of nearly totally different ingredients, and i got a chance to smell mitsouko edp only once but i remember that time it somehow reminded me of my beloved chanel no 5. Anyone see it too?

Default Re: Chanel no 5 and Mitsouko Guerlain

Not really, other than they are both old-style and abstract. Chanel is about aldehydes and flowers, Mitsouko is about woods and lactonic sweetness for me. But it's true that both have gone through many iterations and differences in concentrations that perhaps at some point they had similarities.

Were you noticing similarities in the top of the perfume, or in the drydown?

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Not really, other than they are both old-style and abstract. Chanel is about aldehydes and flowers, Mitsouko is about woods and lactonic sweetness for me. But it's true that both have gone through many iterations and differences in concentrations that perhaps at some point they had similarities.

Were you noticing similarities in the top of the perfume, or in the drydown?

cacio
    It was definitely in the opening as i only sniffed it at the airport and needed to run to my departing gate haha

Perhaps it was the rich aldehydes. Chanel no 5 has a lot. Mitsouko not as much, but still, it has some, as many old perfumes had. Aldehydes definitely give oomph to a perfume, though they are gone soon.

cacio

Missing Oakmoss

Everybody's perceptions are a little different, but I don't detect any similarities between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Not really, other than they are both old-style and abstract. Chanel is about aldehydes and flowers, Mitsouko is about woods and lactonic sweetness for me.
    I can see how one might draw parallels based on the presence of aldehydes (no. 5 having much more), and maybe more importantly, the distinct early 20th century vibe they share. If your nose is attuned more to modern releases, smelling stuff like Mitsouko and no. 5 can be like entering an olfactory parallel universe, and deciphering structural differences and notes might be challenging.

OP, do you have much experience with scents of this period? If not, I recommend spending some quality time at full-scale Guerlain and Chanel counters, if you have any near you. It'll be a fantastic learning experience.
    Off-Basenotes Decant Sales!

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sorry no. I cannot wear Chanel No5 in any form, it's a weird plastic screaming horror on me.

Mitsouko I have read many times can be very hard to wear for quite a few. Came as a shock to me as she works wonderfully on me. But then I cannot wear No5.

C-14 is the aldehyde in Mitsouko the famous peach note. Very different from the aldehydes used in No5 which is an aldehydic floral, Mitsouko is a fruity chypre.

As LiveJazz suggests you will have so much fun exploring the older Guerlains, Chanels and other houses.

In fact, if you can try Guerlain Liu better in an older version and not the same now. Now that one does really have a No5 thing.
    DONNA

They share one similarity at least: they are both excellent representatives of their respective genres. But scent-wise, more like apples vs bananas.