Code of Conduct

Thread: Champagne YSL

Default Champagne YSL

Hi

My partner loves this and is approaching the end of her final bottle. I know its rarer than hen's teeth, and she has tried Yvresse but didn't like it.

I'm hoping that someone here may be able to recommend an alternative that she might like so I can get some samples for her to try out.

Thanks

Default Re: Champagne YSL

Thank you Suspended
    I did see that but was uncertain due to its age and the potential that its been sat on a dressing table in the sunshine for the best part of 20 years. Similarly there seem to be some good deals on "new" but old stock boxed perfumes, but i was uncertain of authenticity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack1uk View Post
    Thank you Suspended
    I did see that but was uncertain due to its age and the potential that its been sat on a dressing table in the sunshine for the best part of 20 years. Similarly there seem to be some good deals on "new" but old stock boxed perfumes, but i was uncertain of authenticity.
    It wasn't on the market long enough to be faked. I'm certain you'd be fine. Give the girl what she loves
    Last edited by Suspended; 16th May 2018 at 10:48 PM.

I agree with Suspended - give her what she loves. Here's another relatively reasonably priced one, BNIB:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yves-sain...UAAOSwWqNa7vX8

I have a bottle of Yvresse, and a bottle of Champagne, and they smell identical. I can't vouch for what's on the counters currently in the new bottle, but Yvresse in the old bottles is the same stuff.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    I have a bottle of Yvresse, and a bottle of Champagne, and they smell identical. I can't vouch for what's on the counters currently in the new bottle, but Yvresse in the old bottles is the same stuff.
    Hmmm, good to know!

The newer one from about 8 years ago is *not* the same. Unfortunately, I cannot offer advice on how to find an older version of Yvresse, but I do think getting a NIB Champagne is a good option. Nothing on the market currently reminds me of the original Champagne. She may like the fizz and sweetness of Royal Bain de Caron, but it is not really comparable, with the Caron more closely related to Flower by Kenzo, IMHO.
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Thankyou all for the advice. She does have a bottle of circa 2009 Yvrese (albeit EDT rather than EDP) and says it has a noticeably different scent to Champagne.

That said, I have now spoken to her about which one to go for, (100ml opened or 50ml BNIB) and her response is "neither, save the money for our babies, as we won't be going out much in the next two years" (we are expecting twins in the next six weeks).

I think I will ignore her anyway!!!!

Thankyou all for the advice. She does have a bottle of circa 2009 Yvrese (albeit EDT rather than EDP) and says it has a noticeably different scent to Champagne.

That said, I have now spoken to her about which one to go for, (100ml opened or 50ml BNIB) and her response is "neither, save the money for our babies, as we won't be going out much in the next two years" (we are expecting twins in the next six weeks).

I think I will ignore her anyway!!!!
    Congratulations! How wonderful.

Ignoring a pregnant woman is never advisable, that said, I'd still buy her it. My reasoning; it'll be roughly 10 years before you get to go out again and by that point, the YSL Champagne will have quadrupled in price. Tell her it's an investment in your future freedom.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    by that point, the YSL Champagne will have quadrupled in price. Tell her it's an investment in your future freedom.
    More sound advice of the type that has made this man the wizard of finance so revered by today's global economic community!

Always be smelling

..I think I will ignore her anyway!!!!
    You are a brave person.
    Let us know how that works out
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    You are a brave person.
    Let us know how that works out, if you survive
    Fixed!

Banned

Sorry to chime in late here. Overall, I agree with the consensus that it's better to go with what the lady knows and loves; however, should you want to give her some options (perhaps a handful of samples along with the bottle), I can think of a few things that she might at least enjoy.

Champagne is, above all, a Sophia Grosjman perfume, and I mention this because all of her perfumes have a distinct signature, especially that very boozy, ripe fruit note at the top. Champagne is also appropriately effervescent, given its name, and some of SG's stuff kind of fits into the same category. Bucheron Jaipur Femme (which I think may also be discontinued--look for the bracelet-shaped bottle, not the squarish one) has a very similar vibe, without the dry oakmoss in the base but with a smooth sandalwood instead. Also, vintage Paris, while a quite different perfume overall, has a similar construction--but you really want the vintage, because it (and Champagne/Yvresse) have been reformulated significantly. FWIW, I think that Boucheron may have elected to discontinue Jaipur Femme rather than try to bring it in line with modern allergen requirements. I also think that the now-missing oakmoss was the key to balancing all the fruit and other business at the top of Champagne and Paris both.

Four interesting possibilities crossed my mind as perfumes that she might at least like to try. One is Mauboussin, which has a similar feel overall, but with a smooth (not hippie-ish, at all) patchouli in the base--it's sort of like a contemporary take on Champagne, albeit a little less complicated. It has the advantage of being almost shockingly affordable. It's a great perfume and somewhat underrated around here. I think it captures the boozy fruit, the opulence, and the overall structure pretty darn well. On the other hand, you could cut to the chase and try the grande dame of all these perfumes, Guerlain's Mitsouko. I won't lie; it's a moodier perfume, but it can be devastating on the right person. I think the EdP version is probably the most user-friendly of the formulations. A more effervescent take on the same idea is Guerlain's Chant d'Aromes. On the other hand, and this is a little far out, but still--Serge Luten's Daim Blond is beautiful perfume that also hits the same peachy apricot note, but presents it in a ton of luxurious iris butter; it doesn't really smell like Champagne/Yvresse, but it's still gorgeous.

FWIW, I see that some readers on another site also say that Champagne reminds them of some other perfumes in particular: MIcallef's Note Poudree, biehl parfumkunstwerke's mb01 (I know that's a mouthful, but trust me; the ones I've smelled are terrific perfumes), and something called Look of Woman from La Rive. I have smelled none of these, so I can't speak to their resemblance or not, but I can tell you that the first 2 are available at Luckyscent, and that they also sell samples there.

Good luck, happy hunting, and keep us posted!