Code of Conduct

Default Alternative to Masque Milano "MONTECRISTO" ?

Hi all,

I (more or less) have taken a break from purchasing Fragrances.

In Truth, I think I've sort of "hit the wall". On the whole, I am very pleased

with the choices I've made rebuilding my Fragrance collection after having been

absent from Basenotes for such a long period of time. If I purchase anything,

it will more than likely be after Summer entering Autumn as I still have a large number of

samples I'm still testing (and many decants as well). That being said, being one who loves

to own "Bottles", I'm not sure if I can justify the cost of buying Masque Milano "Montecristo"

(as STUNNING! as it smells) since it is so damn expensive. Then again, most every fragrance

that truly interest me (as a possible future purchase) is pretty damn expensive. Aside from

"Montecristo", other sampled fragrances that really has peaked my interest/attention is as

follows :

Boadicea the Victorious "Complex"

Rania J. Oud Assam

Knize Ten

Mazzolari Lui

Etat Libre d'Orange Rien Intense

I plan to order "sample/decants" of Dior Leather Oud and perhaps Serge Lutens Noire.

Other samples I've tried and very much enjoyed were :

Mancera Red Tobacco

Serge Lutens Chene

Imaginary Authors Bulls Blood

Etat Libre d'Orange Marquis de Sade

Etat Libre d'Orange Charogne

My current TOP fragrances (owned bottles) are :

Dior Eau Sauvage Parfume (2012)

Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba

Marlou 50ml d'ambiguite

Caron Yatagan

L'Artisan Dzing!

Castile by Penhaligon`s

L'Occitane Eva des Bavx

Guerlain Shalimar

Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia

10). ?

Sorry for this "scattered Brain" post. I just feel sort of lost/unsure what to purchase.

Thanks.

SixCats!

Dependent

Default Re: Alternative to Masque Milano "MONTECRISTO" ?

Furyo by Jacques Bogart. It's sooooo up your alley. It practically has your name written on the bottle.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Hi remik,

Thanks for that suggestion. That is one hard fragrance to find.

SixCats!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Thanks for that suggestion. That is one hard fragrance to find.
    Not really - it's all over eBay. Don't bother looking for a specific vintage - the most recent bottles are still over the top strong, and 99% identical to vintage releases. Any bottle you see, at a good price, is what you want to get.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Furyo as suggested above is definitely worth seeking.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Maybe wait for Zoologist Hyrax to come out next month. Montecristo is all about hyraceum and ambrette over a bed of patchouli and booze. Hyrax seems to follow a similar note breakdown.

The closest thing to Montecristo is vintage Kouros imo - costus overload in both cases

Blog Entries

Have you tried L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris? l reckon it's right up your street.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hi all,

Thank you all for the replies/suggestions. remik, will be in touch. Thanks.

hedic, ummmm, maybe I'll have to seek out and try Furyo. It's been on my "to try" list for some time.

ryn, perhaps I will have to give this new "Zoologist" Fragrances a try/sample. Thanks for that info.

mgri, I must admit, I am a HUGH fan of Costus!

tear, I have not tried Miller Harris "L'Air de Rien". I have sampled/decants of ELd'O Rien Intense. Love it. Thanks for the Harris suggestion.

SixCats!

You might like "50 ml d'Ambiguïté" by Marlou.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

I like the Montecristo a lot, but it's not very strong on me, perhaps I am anosmic to something. If I were to buy one from your list, I'd go with Rien, which instead is very powerful on me.

there used to be a Musc Tonkin in Parfum d'Empire, which was also very musky though a bit subdued, like Montecristo. But it went through a few iterations, and I don't know if it still exists and in which state.

cacio

I know it's a bit off-topick, but SixCats, prey tell, what do you think of Charogne?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    You might like "50 ml d'Ambiguïté" by Marlou.
    Did you read the first post? lt's already one of his favourites.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hi all,

Nasen, thank you for your suggestion of Marlou 50ml d'ambiguite.

Funny, about a month ago, I sampled d'ambiguite and I was completely "BLOWN AWAY!"

So, I purchased a bottle of d'ambiguite shorty after sampling. I knew I had just sampled (d'ambiguite) a Fragrance like no other! LOVE it!

Nastka, ELd'O "CHAROGNE" I found to be OUTSTANDING! I would love to own "Charogne". However, I still have (in my collection) many

samples of ELd'O to try. So far, (aside from CHARGONE") I'm loving (right you are cacio) : RIEN INTENSE as well as MARQUIS DE SADE.

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Did you read the first post? lt's already one of his favourites.
    Eh... must've skipped over that part.

No wonder though, since the animalic aspects are very reminiscent of Montecristo but amped up a few notches and made into the main event. I received a sample recently and instantly was reminded of Montecristo and also what I believe is an older version of the Costus-laden Animalis-base that once made Kouros infamous. Combined with what's likely to be the Hyrax, that's some seriously, uh, furry vibe.

A very different beast, I fell in love with is Peau de Bete. It has a curious development, where it starts like a furry, dirty leather (reminding me of Rien a lot) but slowly transcending into a very beautiful spicy fragrance that reminds me a bit of a walk through a parched mediterranian forrest.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain